Forums46
Topics539,129
Posts9,745,896
Members87,141
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? #6693231 03/03/17 02:48 AM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've had two projects in mind for about two years +.

I refuse to half [censored] it, so I get parts as I can afford to. I've got a stock on order, and don't even have an action in hand, for instance. My barrel is in a drawer at the gunsmith. I've had brass for a year, for a barrel, action, and stock I don't have yet.

I can understand someone not having any, or very many,rifles on hand and needing to fill a job, and on a budget. But it puzzles me to see guys with multiple rifles wanting to add another "decent" rifle, never having had a "great" rifle.

Same goes for optics.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693237 03/03/17 02:52 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Semi-intentionally, it's taken me 20 months to get mine together.

Last edited by QuitShootinYoungBucks; 03/03/17 02:55 AM.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693263 03/03/17 03:10 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I tried this with my SBR since I had plenty of time after submitting my form, but I got the better of myself and had everything bought in 2 weeks exactly the way I wanted it and still couldn't build it for 1y 3m lol that really sucks. Even had suppressor QD's on all my rifles too and didn't have my suppressor for 1y 4m rofl those things are like $75 bucks a pop.

[Linked Image]

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693285 03/03/17 03:32 AM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Ha...I have had projects going for 3-4 years....I once had a project that took me 8 years to finish...I had some to do with it--but mostly it was the gunsmith on that project. I have had Many great rifles--more than my fair share--and let a few slip through my fingers. I have 3 projects right now--one is waiting on a manners stock...one doesn't know what it's going to be--one may stay parts or get parted out...

Ed

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693353 03/03/17 05:38 AM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Yep. McMillan is sitting in the safe, action is on order and should be here in another 6-8 weeks, just need dbm and scope. Gunsmith has barrel and trigger. Hope to be out at your place with it by Septemberish.

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693405 03/03/17 12:07 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Heck I've started a build just from buying a set of dies on sale.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: dee] #6693409 03/03/17 12:10 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dee

Dude! That's got me beat!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693426 03/03/17 12:56 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I have a custom 98 Mauser that I have been working on for several years, off and on. The parts are pricey, and not always easy to find. Then there is the stock-work, which cannot be rushed. Since it is mine, the priority is low. I work on it when I get into the mood.

Now that I am no longer gunsmithing, I will have a better chance of seeing it completed.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693478 03/03/17 01:56 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but your "long term" rifle build made me think of this one gun I have in the safe.. About 4 years ago I picked up a stripped AR lower off the prize table at a 3-gun match. On the way home, one of my shooting buddies and I were discussing how long it would take to build a "free" rifle with only prize table winnings. With past performance and "win" calculations discussed, we guessed it would take about two years to assemble a complete rifle. Two months later I picked up a complete AAC upper off a prize table and a week after that a CMC trigger group.. I was so close to having a complete rifle my impatience got the best of me and I bought a LPK and stock to complete the rifle. Since then, I haven't won a LPK or stock so my "free" rifle would have turned into a 4 year(and counting) project.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: Misfire] #6693529 03/03/17 02:33 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Love it!

Shoot your way into another rifle.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693537 03/03/17 02:38 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I can understand someone not having any, or very many,rifles on hand and needing to fill a job, and on a budget. But it puzzles me to see guys with multiple rifles wanting to add another "decent" rifle, never having had a "great" rifle. Same goes for optics.

So Jason, what is your definition of decent? And what is "great"?

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693542 03/03/17 02:43 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D

I have built based off finding 4 pieces of once fired brass at the range blush

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693564 03/03/17 02:56 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I started a 284win build this spring because my buddy gave me a Kelbly's f-class stock...so I just had to build it. What is crazy is I got the stock in Jan...I called a few places looking for an action, finally called Kelbly's and they had one in stock. Called Brux and the guy up there says "Yep, I got one sitting right here". Bought a BixNAndy trigger off a for sale board...the reamer has taken the longest time. I guess it was meant to be because the only thing that I've gotten for this build that I've had to wait on was the reamer. It never works like that...or it hasn't for a very long time.

I got another build going because I bought a barrel a couple years ago. I decided in December when Borden had some drop port actions delivered to a couple dealers that I just had to try one. All that metal work is done...I'm waiting on the new Kestros stock from McMillian.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693573 03/03/17 03:05 PM
A2B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I did a build that took 1 year and 6 months. It all started with a 300 Blackout barrel that I won on gunbroker for a SBR build. Every part other than suppressor I bought on sale.

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693642 03/03/17 04:01 PM
Ritter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
My method is a differs a bit. Most of my rifles started by selecting a bullet and muzzle velocity first. After that I decide on the actual chambering. Everything that followed from there was dictated by those choices.

I was never in a real hurry to finish a rifle so I would take my time buying what I needed. More than once I was able to find a new in the box action, or stock, maybe the trigger or a barrel for a much better price than rushing out and buying the first available thing I found. The average time to finish a rifle for me is around one year.

That being said I do have a couple of triggers, a new left port/right bolt action, a 6mm barrel and another .22 cal barrel and no real idea of what I want to do with them.

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: Judd] #6693655 03/03/17 04:10 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Judd
I started a 284win build this spring because my buddy gave me a Kelbly's f-class stock...so I just had to build it. What is crazy is I got the stock in Jan...I called a few places looking for an action, finally called Kelbly's and they had one in stock. Called Brux and the guy up there says "Yep, I got one sitting right here". Bought a BixNAndy trigger off a for sale board...the reamer has taken the longest time. I guess it was meant to be because the only thing that I've gotten for this build that I've had to wait on was the reamer. It never works like that...or it hasn't for a very long time.

I got another build going because I bought a barrel a couple years ago. I decided in December when Borden had some drop port actions delivered to a couple dealers that I just had to try one. All that metal work is done...I'm waiting on the new Kestros stock from McMillian.

Extremely interested in doing a .284 in the future, on a short action.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: DStroud] #6693673 03/03/17 04:23 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: DStroud

I have built based off finding 4 pieces of once fired brass at the range blush

Now that's funny.

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6693676 03/03/17 04:25 PM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Judd

Extremely interested in doing a .284 in the future, on a short action.

I've got one done with about 12 rounds down the tube. It's a sporter with about a No2 Mike Rock--rock creek barrel and a bell and Carlson medalist stock on it. It has a FN ( Winchester M70 short action) on it shoots very good...PM me if interested...

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693864 03/03/17 07:00 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I may buy dies, brass and etc but the rifle itself always a one time deal.

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6693914 03/03/17 07:50 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Yep. Next build is gonna be a slow process for me. First found the bullet I want to run and grabbed powder for it while it was avail. Now gradually adding components as $ becomes avail.

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: Deerhunter61] #6694624 03/04/17 02:30 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
I can understand someone not having any, or very many,rifles on hand and needing to fill a job, and on a budget. But it puzzles me to see guys with multiple rifles wanting to add another "decent" rifle, never having had a "great" rifle. Same goes for optics.

So Jason, what is your definition of decent? And what is "great"?

Action I prefer. Barrel in the caliber I want, the twist rate I want, finished to the length I want, muzzle threaded, brake timed, if that is the need. The type of magazine I want, be it Tikka DBM, CDI DBM, or a hinged floor plate. Stock made the way I want, three studs, or flush cups, forearm width I require, length of pull I require, stock weight that will work the best for the specific job of the rifle.

Once it's ergonomic and built to the task, it's my job to make it shoot with a hand load. "Great" to me is a legit, consistent half MOA, or better rifle and load. Boringly accurate some say.

I require it to take a cartridge out of the magazine, chamber it smoothly, shoot well, and eject well clear of the rifle, EVERY TIME!

Great to me, is no compromises of the list above.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6694631 03/04/17 02:38 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
It takes me forever to deciede what I want...

I am currently debating a ruger precision rifle versus a Remington 700 magpul, or rebarreling an extra ar upper 6.5 Grendel

Once I figure out what I want shouldn't take long, it's deciding what I want

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6694656 03/04/17 03:14 PM
S
snarkscarbine Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
The carbon fiber 6.5 Tikka rig I shot at the match last weekend has been evolving for about two years. Started off with a T3 hunter in .243, then got a B&C stock, then when I could afford to it went to LRI to get rebarreled with a Krieger blank that somebody changed their mind on. Then it got a Manners, then a Minox, then a Hardy cf tube and brake.

I've got another Tikka barreled action sitting in the safe right now that's going to get built into a LR hunting rig in .300wsm. I picked it up around Christmas after hunting for months. EuroOptic was clearing out old stock of the T3 models since the new X was released, so I got it for a song. I picked up a Bushnell LRHS to go on top once it's done. It's getting some of the hand-me-down parts from the rifle mentioned above like the B&C stock, an EGW scope rail, and a brake. Then later this summer it'll be getting a Hardy CF tube. I'm in no rush; Hornady is releasing their new .300wsm component line sometime next month, so I can't shoot it yet anyway.

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6694686 03/04/17 04:06 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've become fond of buying custom guns 2nd hand at great discounts. For instance the McWhorter I bought last cost me $1750 instead of $3900.

Re: Does anyone else build a rifle slowly, as they can afford parts? [Re: J.G.] #6694761 03/04/17 05:39 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
It's all about the $dollar. If you gotem, you can find what you want pretty quick. I found this out when I wanted a ultralight build. I found almost everything in an hour on the internet. Changed my mind. I guess because I really don't "need" another rifle. I've got them all covered.

My main problem is I'm rarely REALLY happy with what I got.

I buy on impulse (drunk) not good.

I now have 2 rifles I "love", the rest are future trade bait.

I ALWAYS have "something" going

like last night I was out bid on a MINT Winchester 9422 XTR, first year production, never fired. Then I thought, hell, I wont want to shoot it, should I buy it, stick in safe for a future investment or look for a "nice" "shooter gun"

What I have just described is called ADDICTION.......

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 03/04/17 05:41 PM.

SPACE FOR RENT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide