Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Western] #6674324 02/14/17 02:56 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Western
Dave wood rd! That is some nice country, drove over it through Divide to the Basin many times up When season really lite up good, the pressure would drive the animals towards Ridgeway, The loghill village golf course would be overrun with deer and elk roflmao

Yes, as a matter of fact it is some nice country but dangerous if you didn't pay attention to the weather! At that time I had very good friends living in Montrose who were in the tractor repair business. As such they knew every farmer & rancher in a hundred miles & had access to places I would have never even thought about. The second time we were snowed in I had about decided I'd had enough. One year a bunch of guys were over in Hanks Valley and had to be evacuated....left behind trailers, trucks, & motorhomes. scratch

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674333 02/14/17 03:08 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
My first deer camp was a 1957 Ford school bus. My dad and his buddy bought it and drove it to the deer lease and parked it for the next 20+ years. They gutted the inside and made some bunk beds and a kitchen. No water and no electricity (until several years later). Music was played on a portable 8track radio.

Now days deer camp is a nice travel trailer with AC, TV, microwave, fridge, etc.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674370 02/14/17 03:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've hunted in places where we stayed in dump travel trailers, dump office trailers converted to a bunkhouse, old ranch houses, new ranch houses, new cabins, older cabins, tents, trucks and lodges that make my house look like a motel 6.

Personally I like a clean and warm place to sleep. I don't need fancy but I don't wanna have to sweep rat crap off the beds either. I don't like freezing my but off in a tent either, that's just me. Spent too many cold nights out at camp and I don't wanna do it anymore. Really I don't like cold weather period.

i grew up hunting with older guys, we hunted in older homemade tripods and box blinds, over homade barrel feeders that worked sometimes and other times not, and we shot smallish deer that we all wished were bigger. We hunted places that had very few deer period where and places where you could kill 2 or 3 in one sitting.

I don't miss crappy feeders or blinds, cold nasty camps or camps where they would load the meat pole with 2 1/2 year old bucks year in and year out. I enjoy good, reliable equipment, and hunting properties where killing a mature buck is a reasonable expectation.

What made deer camp was the people in it. Various colorful characters, good food, fire and some adult beverages. That seemed to have gone by the wayside. Now people come in from camp, turn on t.v or fire up Facebook and that's it. And to me that's the part that we miss the most. Deer camp was just as much an experience as killing a deer

I will say, deer hunting has become too much of a competition and the use of trail cams has gotten out of hand. Instead of hunting deer we now run surveillance on them. They are a good tool for managing a place but people over use them imo.

I've said before, I really don't care to hunt whitetail anymore. I will hunt them with a bow but too many years of watching people berate other hunters for what they killed, too much self-promotion, too many arm chair deer managers and too much b.s in general has soured it for me as far as "regular deer hunting" goes.

I will stick to mule deer, elk and whatever kind of wild sheep or goat i can scrounge up a hunt for

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674390 02/14/17 03:53 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Meanwhile you've got people like me who don't have land or lease and are basically nomads hunting ranches smile

Good discussion and a lot of nostalgia in this post. I only got to experience "deer camp" a handful of times in Madison County and southern Georgia. The first was a "hut" with drywall and no insulation, so it was always colder inside than out--no running water or electricity or "facilities." The second was a nice house that the hunt club had built over the years with all of those things and more; almost like a hunting ranch but not quite. j

The problem with the me is that I go out to hunt and be in nature but my family and our friends go out to eat and have a good time. Make-do with what I've got I guess confused2

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674397 02/14/17 03:58 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Back in the late 70'sit was circle the trunks for a wind brake, snow flying and coffee on the camp fire. Then cut some pine trees down made a three sided wind brake. Froze your toes and hands setting in the woods, northern Michigan. Great times.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674563 02/14/17 06:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Does anyone know a young person who is now at Step 1 with their deer camp. I honestly don't know a soul who would even consider starting at that level.

I can remember camping out with a couple of my high school buddies the night before the opening day of Squirrel Season. It was public land and we had hunters who walked past us early that morning as we were waking up. We just left our camping stuff there and spent the entire morning chasing bushy tails. When we got back around noon, everything was still there, just as we had left it. I seriously doubt the same would happen today.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674572 02/14/17 06:42 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
If it doesn't have granite marble in the bathrooms, I'm not sleeping there.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674579 02/14/17 06:54 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I try very hard at our place to promote the old-style gather around the campfire spirit. Most everyone keeps the booze to a reasonable limit. Kids are around some, listening (a little). We try to shoot mature deer, but I did have a heart to heart with our "lease manager" and told him that the "manager" part was mainly 'cause the LO wanted just one main contact (which is reasonable) and that I didn't feel like everyone's deer should immediately be subjected to the age test and debate the second they rolled into camp. It shook him a little, but, overall, he took it fairly well. I'm also old enough to know that, if we do get the deer up to a higher level trophy-wise (which I want as much as anybody), the LO can suddenly find a new, higher paying bunch to replace us.

It's difficult to keep the old ways alive.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674660 02/14/17 08:16 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Deer camp is whatever you make it. I've hunted where we had accommodations that were nicer than my house and I've stayed in trailers that looked like a meth shack. Didn't really matter to me, just glad to be out in the woods. The campfire time/stories are one thing I hope never go away.....getting to hang out with a good group of people (especially the old timers) is something that is priceless and some people just don't get to understand.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674676 02/14/17 08:35 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
this thread brings back some very fond (and some not so much) memories, as I started my deer hunting back in the early 1960s when there weren't any fancy stands, just a few boards nailed in a tree or a hollowed out brush pile ... no such thing as a "feeder", you hunted heavily used trails or over an oat patch OR you stalked slowly working your way thru an area. There were no ATV/UTV and very few even had any type of 4x4, so we all rode together to the gate from camp and started hunting as we walked to our area and walked back out.

Our camps varied from lease to lease, one in particular we had 2 old Army teepee style tents, dirt floor, one had a pot belly stove in it for heat & cooking along with an old army bunk cot, the other had 3 army bunk cots with cotton mattress & wool blankets. The one without heat was a cold motor scooter to get out of bed in the morning as it was virtually the same temp inside as outside. After that, my dad & a couple guys went in together and bought a late 50s model 60-70 passenger school bus, gutted it and it had the old army bunk cots on both sides, a butane refrigerator, cook stove and dearborn heater, we thought we were in high cotton although pretty cramped when all 8 hunters were there.

some of the best food and stories are around the camp fire at deer camp ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674707 02/14/17 09:12 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
My dad was on the same lease for 20 something years. They had a shack that got added on to every year, an outhouse, and most guys had old canned ham type travel trailers. Really bummed me when they lost that one and forever I had a hard time getting other camps to measure up in my mind.

I have owned a travel trailer and also hunted places with nice lodge setups. Fast forward to now and the way deer leasing / hunting access is. Where you hunt this year may be gone next year. My "deer camp" is mobile. Chuckwagon trailer and canvas tent. Does duty as fishing camp, dove camp, squirrel camp, deer camp and hopefully elk camp before too long. Kids love it, I love it, buddies love it. Only thing I'd really like to add is a shower, which I may one day.

The lack of modern comfort and being outside I think makes trips makes trips more memorable. Great food don't hurt either. Kids will remember our times long after I am gone.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674723 02/14/17 09:22 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Many good posts and comments being shared.

Before we had some much technology available to us, perhaps it was the greater focus on each other that created such warm memories. When we get back to camp after a morning hunt today, we may often go hide in our trailer, turn on the TV, and take a nap. We didn't have many distractions back then, which forced us to share more time with our fellow hunters and others who happened to be in camp.

But then, technology has made us much more efficient. When someone killed a deer back then, it could be major undertaking just to get it out of the woods. It could easily take an hour or more to do what technology now allows us to accomplish in 20 minutes or less.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674742 02/14/17 09:35 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
My guess is someone growing up with a 'modern' deer camp today will be just as nostalgic about it as many 'old timers' are of the camps of 'yesteryear'. In 20 years we will be hearing how the old camps with cell phones/sat Tv/Ipads were so 'rugged' compared to hopping in your teleporter directly to the few high fenced game preserves left.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674748 02/14/17 09:43 PM
T
Trash Fish and Cull Bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Good memories. Started back in the early 70’s in Jack county. We hunted an even section back then (640 acres for the younger folks) that we leased for $300 ($60/person). All family except for one of my grandfather’s best friends. For us, hunting was the first week of the season, and only went back the last weekend, never anything in the middle. Hunting was a big family event, from grandparents all the way down to the grandkids. Some years there would be 16 people at the lease, counting aunts, uncles, and cousins. Only the men hunted, although the gals would sometimes go sit with men. There was an old house on the property that we didn’t stay in, but could run an electric cord from the house to the pop-up trailer that served us well for many, many years. We’d fill that up and then use pickup campers and vans for the overflow. The family friend had a travel trailer cuz he was ‘rich’. The bathroom was anywhere outside that the urge hit you. There was a big oak in the corner of the yard behind the house that served as the processing area; many a deer was hung from it (not all legal, no does back then). We hunted there from late 60’s though mid 90’s, the same way every year. In that time only 1 ‘good’ deer (by today’s standards) was killed, and it didn’t bother anyone even a little bit. Hunted deer in the morning and then came back for a big breakfast. Remember sitting on the bench watching folks cook while watching a 6-inch black-and-white tv that only could pick up 1 station (and even then only with the help of strategically-placed aluminum foil). It was a bonus when the cowboys were playing. Spent the afternoon, all afternoons, exploring and hunting squirrels in the creeks, but had to be back by 4 for the evening hunt. Usually once during the trip, we’d go to town (Jacksboro) to call home and eat at the Green Frog (a tradition). No cell phones of course. And, no 4-wheelers or golf carts, or rangers, or mules. You walked to where you wanted to hunt, and if you shot something, you drug it back to camp. Of the 16 ‘regular’ attendees at the deer lease, 9 are gone now. Always have the memories though.

The recreational value of game is inverse to the artificiality of its origin - Aldo Leopold
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674761 02/14/17 09:52 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Like others above, started off in a tent. Pack water in with you. Go find a comfy log to do your business.

Next we had a place with a 1-room cabin we all shared. Thought we were big time because we had electricity, hot water, and actually had a light to skin our deer with, mounted in the big oak tree that served as the skinning area, and a hose to wash up with after.

Now I hunt a place that is a full 3BR house plus a covered skinning area, walk-in cooler, satellite TV etc. Pretty deluxe. Some guys are talking about wanting Wi-Fi. hammer Me personally, my best trips are the ones where I'm only in the house to sleep (unless the Ags are playing). But, like most things in hunting, to each their own!

I only know one thing for sure: I have enjoyed all of them! And, I hope to for years to come. up

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Dalee7892] #6674762 02/14/17 09:52 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Back in the late 70'sit was circle the trunks for a wind brake, snow flying and coffee on the camp fire. Then cut some pine trees down made a three sided wind brake. Froze your toes and hands setting in the woods, northern Michigan. Great times.

Yep, old 5 gallon bucket for a seat. Trees stacked up for a blind. Wearing blue jeans and a camo coat. Always cold...

And when you were in your "blind" it was just you. No texting, emailing, THF etc.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks] #6674783 02/14/17 10:10 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks
Good memories. Started back in the early 70’s in Jack county. We hunted an even section back then (640 acres for the younger folks) that we leased for $300 ($60/person). All family except for one of my grandfather’s best friends. For us, hunting was the first week of the season, and only went back the last weekend, never anything in the middle. Hunting was a big family event, from grandparents all the way down to the grandkids. Some years there would be 16 people at the lease, counting aunts, uncles, and cousins. Only the men hunted, although the gals would sometimes go sit with men. There was an old house on the property that we didn’t stay in, but could run an electric cord from the house to the pop-up trailer that served us well for many, many years. We’d fill that up and then use pickup campers and vans for the overflow. The family friend had a travel trailer cuz he was ‘rich’. The bathroom was anywhere outside that the urge hit you. There was a big oak in the corner of the yard behind the house that served as the processing area; many a deer was hung from it (not all legal, no does back then). We hunted there from late 60’s though mid 90’s, the same way every year. In that time only 1 ‘good’ deer (by today’s standards) was killed, and it didn’t bother anyone even a little bit. Hunted deer in the morning and then came back for a big breakfast. Remember sitting on the bench watching folks cook while watching a 6-inch black-and-white tv that only could pick up 1 station (and even then only with the help of strategically-placed aluminum foil). It was a bonus when the cowboys were playing. Spent the afternoon, all afternoons, exploring and hunting squirrels in the creeks, but had to be back by 4 for the evening hunt. Usually once during the trip, we’d go to town (Jacksboro) to call home and eat at the Green Frog (a tradition). No cell phones of course. And, no 4-wheelers or golf carts, or rangers, or mules. You walked to where you wanted to hunt, and if you shot something, you drug it back to camp. Of the 16 ‘regular’ attendees at the deer lease, 9 are gone now. Always have the memories though.

I enjoyed this one. Thanks

I'm not too old at the age of 37 and I didn't grow up hunting this way, but I started hunting with my grandfather and uncles deep in the national forests (Sam Houston and mostly Davy Crockett) Enjoyed those times and think it's a little sad on the way I hunt these days. Still enjoy if with the family, but there's something missing compared to the old timer's ways.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks] #6674803 02/14/17 10:22 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C

We were outside of Jermyn in the 70's/80's One guy put a TV in his camper, he then tied a wire around a beer can and had me climb up a pecan tree and hang it so he could pick up the Cowboy game. Killed a lot of squirrels in the creek bottoms around there. Sometimes we'd hunt all weekend and see maybe 1-2 deer on the whole place, this was hunting with no feeders and sitting on the ground or brush blind. There were a few deer that got hung down the creek aways and not at camp because of the no doe rule. Every once in a while the old man would plug one anyway and say "needed some meat". Any deer was a good deer. All those old guys are gone now.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: chalet] #6674827 02/14/17 10:45 PM
T
Trash Fish and Cull Bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: chalet

We were outside of Jermyn in the 70's/80's One guy put a TV in his camper, he then tied a wire around a beer can and had me climb up a pecan tree and hang it so he could pick up the Cowboy game. Killed a lot of squirrels in the creek bottoms around there. Sometimes we'd hunt all weekend and see maybe 1-2 deer on the whole place, this was hunting with no feeders and sitting on the ground or brush blind. There were a few deer that got hung down the creek aways and not at camp because of the no doe rule. Every once in a while the old man would plug one anyway and say "needed some meat". Any deer was a good deer. All those old guys are gone now.

We weren't too far from you. Not many deer back then, but it made it more special when you finally saw one, especially a buck. I remember hunting my first 2 years (1 week each year) and not seeing a single deer. Never knew what a feeder or a blind was. I remember 1 year one of my uncles showed up with 5 pounds of corn that he was going to throw out. Was ribbed mercilessly for needing to use bait. Much thought and discussion went into selecting a place to hunt, either a few boards nailed in a tree or a 5-gallon bucket in a group of trees. Will always be the best memories that I have from my younger days.

The recreational value of game is inverse to the artificiality of its origin - Aldo Leopold
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks] #6674862 02/14/17 11:09 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: chalet

We weren't too far from you. Not many deer back then, but it made it more special when you finally saw one, especially a buck. I remember hunting my first 2 years (1 week each year) and not seeing a single deer. Never knew what a feeder or a blind was. I remember 1 year one of my uncles showed up with 5 pounds of corn that he was going to throw out. Was ribbed mercilessly for needing to use bait. Much thought and discussion went into selecting a place to hunt, either a few boards nailed in a tree or a 5-gallon bucket in a group of trees. Will always be the best memories that I have from my younger days.

Deer tracks were reason enough to stop the truck and get out and look back then. I probably got to start sitting by myself around age 12 - didn't shoot a deer until I was 15. Boards nailed in trees and brush piled around mesquites. Hunting clothes were whatever we had to wear, maybe some long johns and an old blanket to sit in when it was really cold. Had a hand me down army jacket for camo.

We joke now about how cold you'd get and the way Dad would act. Teeth would start chattering and you'd be shivering and he'd say "be still, you'll scare the damn deer" then we'd say " but its cold I'm shaking" then he'd say "dammit, be quiet - you are scaring the deer". So you'd shut up and try not to shiver, but you would and he'd say"dammit, I said be still" and so on and on. Those were good times...

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6674883 02/14/17 11:28 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I sat in brush blinds a lot as a kid. One day I learned that just because you can see through your scope, doesn't mean your barrel isn't directly in front of a piece of oak. 'Biggest deer I ever saw on that place and he walked away without a scratch.

Not hunting, but I was sent to my first Boy Scout campout with my Sears Junior sleeping bag. I stuck out of it about a foot and a half. We earned the Polar Bear patch that weekend...13 degrees. I have always had at least a couple of very good sleeping bags ever since.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6675247 02/15/17 04:22 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
scratch Deer camp twas more about the people that shared camp with, rather than technology...
angel Dedicated ta those who passed on... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6675273 02/15/17 05:07 AM
B
Bittercreek Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
First Deer-Camp. I spent the night in. Old yellow dog school bus. Turned into a Camphouse.
No insulation. Armybunks along the wall. To this day. When I light or smell a propane stove or lantern lite. I am right back.
Loved it.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6675316 02/15/17 09:39 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I slept in a tent in scouts too many moons to want to do that again. I still do with my boy on camp outs though. I rather be comfortable a deer camp. That being said i slept in a mouse, spider infested trailer long enough. We customized a shipping container and it is better than sleeping at home. Only thing we fight is water freezing up now which isn't too much an issue.

One night out west in a trailer i kept seeing sparks and heard sizzling. The mice ate the wires causing it to arc. Almost burned down but shut the power off at the pole in a thunderstorm. I like better accomadations if possible now.

Re: Deer Camp - Then and Now [Re: Texas Dan] #6675436 02/15/17 01:52 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I can remember the first time somebody brought an old TV to camp. We didn't think much about it at the time. But, looking back, it changed deer camp from that point forward - and not for the better.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide