Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,498
Posts9,737,776
Members87,094
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Avid hunter from Denmark looking for hunting in Texas. #6663985 02/06/17 05:54 PM
R
RonnieHansen Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
R
Sirs,

My name is Ronnie. I'm from Denmark but I'm doing business in Texas on regular basis. You can easily say, that I've fallen completely in love with the state during the last couple of years. Thus, this spring, from March 22nd to April 1st, I've rented a house in New Braunfels and I'm bringing over my Dad and Mom, my in-laws, my wife and my 5 year old to show them around and spend time in the nature, with the music and with the people of Texas.

My dad is an avid hunter. He has 2 German Wirehaired Pointers and spends a lot of time hunting in Denmark, Germany and Poland. He's a really good shooter and hunts as much for the nature experiences as the actual hunting. He's just had major back surgery this February, so he's not as fast as he was before and still not allowed to move around freely. By late March it'll be a lot better. His mind basically evolves around 2 things; family and hunting.

The point being; I'm looking for a good place to invite him for some classic Texan hunting. We probably won't shoot any trophies, as the bureacracy of bringing it back to Denmark will be too much. However, anywhere with great nature, some good food and some Texan hospitality is very sought after. He's been a farmer all his life, so he loves anything related to animals, crops and farming. I'll join him; I'm not as schooled a hunter as him, but I'm a 3 year veteran with your allied, Danish forces (Her Majesty the Queen's Royal Guard) so I'm a descent shot.

Can any of guide me to a good place? We're happy to drive far for a great place. We can't bring guns into the US, so we'll have to rent some on site.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be mostly appreciated and I thank you in advance - also for your time reading this.

Best,
Ronnie Hansen

Last edited by RonnieHansen; 02/06/17 05:56 PM.
Re: Avid hunter from Denmark looking for hunting in Texas. [Re: RonnieHansen] #6664016 02/06/17 06:15 PM
F
FordEvangelist Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Welcome and good luck! I don't have any suggestions for you but I'm sure you'll get replies soon. You're off season for whitetail deer but you can hunt axis deer and wild hogs for sure.

Re: Avid hunter from Denmark looking for hunting in Texas. [Re: RonnieHansen] #6664023 02/06/17 06:24 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Give us an idea on budget and the type of hunt you're after. If it's during the spring, a lot of native game is off limits. I think turkey season will be open, then, in the southern counties. Otherwise, you're limited to exotics, pigs, varmints, and javelina. Also, you'll have to decide if you only want free range hunting, or if you're okay with hunting in a high fence.

Re: Avid hunter from Denmark looking for hunting in Texas. [Re: RonnieHansen] #6664095 02/06/17 07:25 PM
R
RonnieHansen Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
R
Thank you so much for your replies!

We truly are open to all things, however we'd prefer free range hunting. That is, we've never tried anything else. My instinct tells me that fenced hunting is somehow cheating, but I will not judge anything I don't know of, as I don not truly understand the concept.

Budget is pretty open, as we are not out for trophy. We're used to eating simple home cooked food and sleeping on mattresses in cabins when hunting but do also like more luxurious experiences than that. I sadly do no have any clue about prices in Texas on hunting, but in Denmark, Germany or Poland 2 people would have a good 2 day hunt, hunting boars, deer, birds etc. for 1500 USD. Boards, birds etc. would be included and deer would have a small fee.

Since we're there in late March, I understand the season limits a lot. We're happy trying anything in season!

Base line is, that we're really just eager to understand and experience texan life style including hunting.

Oh; preferably something we can eat afterwards!

Best - and thank you very much for your time. Should anyone travel to Scandinavia or Poland, do let me know and I'll make sure my Dad spills all his advice.

Re: Avid hunter from Denmark looking for hunting in Texas. [Re: RonnieHansen] #6664160 02/06/17 08:43 PM
M
Mike Savoy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Hogs , javi and a released bird hunt can be found in that price range. Aaron Laine might have a good place for you.

Re: Avid hunter from Denmark looking for hunting in Texas. [Re: RonnieHansen] #6664169 02/06/17 08:58 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
It may cost you closer to $1,200 USD per person but I highly recommend spring turkey hunting which would likely include hunting wild hogs as well.

Take a look at this.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...hun#Post6618068

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6641327/*****Spring_Turkey_Hunts*****#Post6641327

Last edited by rickym; 02/06/17 09:05 PM.

Re: Avid hunter from Denmark looking for hunting in Texas. [Re: RonnieHansen] #6664327 02/06/17 11:35 PM
J
Josh Koch Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Check us out at www.monteithranch.com
We do hog hunts and exotic hunt nothing fancy but good Texas hospitality.

Josh Koch
Monteith Hunting
Salado TX
www.monteithranch.com
Monteithhunting@yahoo.com
Re: Avid hunter from Denmark looking for hunting in Texas. [Re: RonnieHansen] #6665073 02/07/17 03:22 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
For your first time experience, and since you are bringing family, I would highly suggest you limit your choices to the bigger, more established ranches. There are several dozen to choose from, all with amazing facilities, thousands of acres and a wide variety of game to choose from. I also don't have a top place to recommend to you since I have no idea of what you like, or prefer. But that's what makes the internet so great.

What I highly recommend is that you narrow your choices down to three or five places and then ask about them on here before committing to anywhere. Google the ranch, the owner of the ranch, and the guide if possible. I personally feel it's better to deal directly with the owner of the ranch, but in a lot of cases, they don't even live there and it's all done through an outfitter or booking agent. Nothing wrong with a good agent, but for me, it's still better to deal directly with who you will be staying with.

Re: Avid hunter from Denmark looking for hunting in Texas. [Re: RonnieHansen] #6665374 02/07/17 06:51 PM
G
GTOutfitter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
We may have just what your looking for. Our Aerial wild hog eradication hunts are a direct benefit to the farmers & ranchers we provide our service to, and being former military yourself, shooting from our turbine helicopters with combat pilots at the controls sounds like it would be right up your alley. Check our website www.gandtoutfitters.com / www.helicopterhoghuntingtexas.com to take advantage of our 25% off special before it expires. GB

G&T Outfitters TEXAS
Firearms/Class III / AMMO/Optics
www.helicopterhoghuntingtexas.com
www.gandtoutfitters.com
G&T Outfitters / Facebook
helicopterhoghuntingtexas / Facebook
G&T Outfitters / Instagram
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide