Print Thread
East Texas hunting #6646738 01/24/17 05:25 PM
D
Dave smith Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
I am going to be getting on a lease with 18-20 guys on paper mill land of about 2000 acres. I have never hunted with that many people and have always hunting private land. What are some things that I can do so the deer will like my spot better than somebody else's spot. Beside feed year around

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6646890 01/24/17 07:17 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
What County are you looking at? Nearest City?

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6646893 01/24/17 07:18 PM
D
Dave smith Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Red river county. Negly is the closet town

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6646908 01/24/17 07:27 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Ah, my lease is pretty far south of there in Sabine County, but the property is the same set up (3500 acres, timber company land). The rumors are certainly true where my place is, but it's cheap enough to keep me on. I use it as a big recreational lease for camping, messing around with guns, hog /predator hunting and general family time. I hunted it well enough during deer season without any success (nor anyone else I spoke with) to realize the deer hunting part of it is just to justify the expense to the wife. Poachers take care of any deer old enough to shoot year around from what I've heard from other hunters and locals alike. I've never had anything stollen, but certainly had my game cameras SD Cards wiped clean, and the hunter on the spot next to mine said he saw a handful of guys hunting with dogs at night during deer season. I've heard of theft from other guys (warned about not making my stands/feeders visible from the roads) but havent had anything taken - but dont leave anything overnight either.
Again, my place is pretty south of yours so take this with a grain of salt.

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6646920 01/24/17 07:37 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I've got a few buddies that hunt large hunting clubs in east texas like this and the best advice I'd give is to forget feeders. Hogs come to the feeders for certain, but the deer will avoid them at all costs.

Hang on stand way up in a tree after scouting and locating a good travel area would be your best bet IMHO.

High up a tree on the edge of a young pine thicket is a hot spot. Lots of deer travel to these thickets to bed and travel from them to the hard woods to feed.

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6646923 01/24/17 07:39 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Thats a lot of personalities on 2000 east Texas acres. Do you know all the other hunters.

How is it going to work? number of stands etc?

I would only consider if the price was right.

I had 90 acres leased to hunt in RR county near Cuthand. Seemed a little crowded with 3 hunters but we were all family and it worked out.

Last edited by Big Daddy K; 01/24/17 07:43 PM.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6646934 01/24/17 07:52 PM
D
Dave smith Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Will not know every body but there should be 100 acres per person

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6647121 01/24/17 10:22 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
Having hunted and managing leases in east Texas for many years I will tell you that most of the timber company lands have lots of members on their clubs. I will also tell you that there is really only about three times in the season that you will probably have lots of members there- opening weekend, Thanksgiving weekend, and probably last weekend of the season. If you bow hunt you will probably have October mostly to yourself. Feeders work to draw deer, even good bucks, but you really need to put a feeder pen around the feeder- it doesn't have to be real tall, just enough to keep the pigs out. Deer don't like to share a feeder with pigs. Mature bucks will come around a feeder during rut looking for does. Don't expect to see deer every hunt- I have hunted whole seasons before and never seen even a doe. I would set up a feeder and set up a stand off the feeder on a trail leading to it. Many times the deer will hang back from a feeder on a trail until dark before coming in. Shoot all the pigs you can- especially under a feeder. My experience has been if you have pigs coming to a feeder regularly and shoot one under it, they will stay away for awhile. The deer hunting can be frustrating, especially if you are used to the cattle calls at the feeders in the hill country, but you will be surprised what is hiding out in the thick brush.

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6647148 01/24/17 10:32 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
The problem with these paper mill leases is always too many hunters. Just because you can't see the other hunter 100 acres away from you doesn't mean the deer don't notice all these humans and activity mobbing the place.

If I had to hunt one I would try to find the 100 acres furthest from the entry point and road. Just get out early way before everyone else does. Also try to find oak trees in your section if you have them and fertilize the biggest and best placed for hunting oak trees in late winter/early spring. Have a feeder that you pen the hogs out from for if you luck enough to have some does around it when the rutting begins.

Hang stands at the pinch points and travel trails between bedding and feeding areas. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: East Texas hunting [Re: titan2232] #6647455 01/25/17 01:56 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: titan2232
I've got a few buddies that hunt large hunting clubs in east texas like this and the best advice I'd give is to forget feeders. Hogs come to the feeders for certain, but the deer will avoid them at all costs.

Hang on stand way up in a tree after scouting and locating a good travel area would be your best bet IMHO.

High up a tree on the edge of a young pine thicket is a hot spot. Lots of deer travel to these thickets to bed and travel from them to the hard woods to feed.

up

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: East Texas hunting [Re: titan2232] #6647499 01/25/17 02:28 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: titan2232

cheers also check creek bottoms... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 01/25/17 02:31 AM.

i'm postaddic
Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6647520 01/25/17 02:40 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Pen the feeder off... use a feeder.. maybe think of something different... use a hanging feeder from a big tree branch ranther than the norm of what they see... they would just think its a corn tree.. then pen the tree off with a big circle pen..... hmmmmm im gona write that down lol may have just found gold

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6647525 01/25/17 02:45 AM
D
Dave smith Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Thank you guys for all of the good advice

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Navasot] #6648136 01/25/17 04:15 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Pen the feeder off... use a feeder.. maybe think of something different... use a hanging feeder from a big tree branch ranther than the norm of what they see... they would just think its a corn tree.. then pen the tree off with a big circle pen..... hmmmmm im gona write that down lol may have just found gold

I agree with a lot of this, I hunt Red River county. Deer will literally walk around purposefully avoiding a feeder area sometimes. Have seen a lot of deer do this. About the only time they regularly hit the feeder is at night. Had a good thing going in one new area with hand throwing corn for a while with a game camera just to see what kind of activity was there. Daily activity was on the game cam pics. Put up a feeder about 15 yards off from where I was corning and everything stopped. Stayed like that till I removed the feeder and it was gone for about 4 months before things went back to normal.If you want to be ahead of the game be creative. Pens will also effect deer activity at the feeders. Had a ton of hogs on the camera at a couple of feeders with a lot of deer also. Fenced those two areas with low pig panels and not only did the pig activity stop but also the deer frequency slowed as well. Went back and opened a section and still very little activity. Those two areas have been like that for over a year and a half. Thinking about just doing away with pens all together. Shoot the hogs and have some fun and get some good meat out of it but don't pen the area if possible. In my area pigs come and go. They are gone from December till around August the next year and then they are back. We corn all year long so it isn't the food source that moves them around. I guess there is something else in the area at that time that they like better. Like I said be creative that will put you ahead of the other hunters and yes if possible find your area in the farthest back part of the place that is possible to minimize traffic going through your area on a regular basis.

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6648178 01/25/17 04:40 PM
D
Dave smith Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
D
Thank you I have spent the last 15 years in mills county and did not have to work this hard. I hunted east Texas out side Jefferson in the mid 80s and was there for 10years but it was on private land. The things that yall have said has changed my way of thinking and my approach to how I will hunt this land if I get on.

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6648191 01/25/17 04:46 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: Dave smith
Thank you I have spent the last 15 years in mills county and did not have to work this hard. I hunted east Texas out side Jefferson in the mid 80s and was there for 10years but it was on private land. The things that yall have said has changed my way of thinking and my approach to how I will hunt this land if I get on.

Understand what you are going through. All of my previous leases were between Eden, Brownwood and Hamilton areas. Deer reacted totally different from my experiences in that area vs North East Texas.

Re: East Texas hunting [Re: Dave smith] #6648324 01/25/17 05:57 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Dave smith
I hunted east Texas out side Jefferson in the mid 80s and was there for 10years but it was on private land.

cheers Had two different leases & permission ta hunt another area outside Jefferson... First one it went from a 2 buck ta 1buck, scratch reason for opening... Ended up hunting box stand, last year on it, no one was seeing bucks, see does from time ta time, no permits... Twas a slewy area at end of lease, 2nd last day headed twards it, crossing low area with water, ducks got up, stopes & little island in front a head of a buck popped up ta see what happening.. Before could shoulder rifle it was up & gone... Last day headed ta same area, different direction... Found tree knocked down, leaned rifle, cleared area of leaves with foot, looked up ta see a buck drinking, it turned & vanished...
All three properties had plenty deer... As pappy once said: sometimes ya have ta think outside the box ... flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide