Forums46
Topics539,415
Posts9,749,325
Members87,160
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #664046 05/08/09 12:02 AM
N
nichols Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Yes they are bred to do differnet things but a mustang and a world champion cutting horse is a bad comparison. Maybe if you would have just said cutting horse instead of "world champion" Genetics is important when your breeding your dogs, but as far as just looking for a good hunting dog, with no intention of breeding I wouldnt worry much about genetics. If a retriever will do what he is supposed to I dont care he his grandfather was an alaskan malamute, Im not interested in being a breeder. Im more concerned with his performance than pedigree. You can pay for genetics and not get what you want. A bull may have a low birth weight but not breed many cows or get stay hurt all the time. Genetics helps when making decisions about breeding but Im a hunter not a dog breeder! Oh I have not had any bay dogs killed by hogs I teach them to stay back and bay, knock on wood!! Any my whole point in getting in on this conversation was the idea that you get what you pay for!! Do you believe that when it comes to dogs??

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: nichols] #664047 05/08/09 12:53 AM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
After all that has been said on this thread, has it honestly changed anyones mind one way or the other? Just wondering.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: westtexaswatkins] #664048 05/08/09 12:56 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
probably not, but cudos for keeping it logical and not personal

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #664049 05/08/09 02:03 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
whats this business about bird dogs stayin in the house?? im sitting here trying to think of all the people i know with bird dogs, and everyone i can think of has its own kennel in the back yard.... none are in the house. Not to say some arent, but i wouldnt say most are in the house. at least not in my area.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #664050 05/08/09 02:53 AM
N
nichols Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Quote:

whats this business about bird dogs stayin in the house?? im sitting here trying to think of all the people i know with bird dogs, and everyone i can think of has its own kennel in the back yard.... none are in the house. Not to say some arent, but i wouldnt say most are in the house. at least not in my area.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: westtexaswatkins] #664051 05/08/09 03:22 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

After all that has been said on this thread, has it honestly changed anyones mind one way or the other? Just wondering.

I bet it has a little. But more importantly, I would think both sides might understand the otherside I little bit more. At least I do.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #664052 05/08/09 04:00 AM
M
MrsBirddog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Quote:

Our bird dogs are most definately in the house! Not all day every day but ALOT! I am not one of those people that keeps my hunting dogs kenneled if it is not hunting season! Ours are part of the family! Thanks to bamboe for finally stating the obvious! Those of us who do not buy high end dogs have been called White Trash and flea market shoppers in the last few pages! That is classy now isn't it????? But it's "NOT PERSONAL"

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: MrsBirddog] #664053 05/08/09 04:58 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I've been on the other side and have been totally burned...

I understand the rational and reasoning,,, but that kind of mentality will get you in the end,,, eventually...

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Angie B] #664054 05/08/09 05:50 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
My bird dogs stay at the foot of the bed, every night. When I am in the house they are too. If I am outside they are too. They are absolutely a part of the family.

Last edited by WAL1809; 05/08/09 05:51 AM.
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: wal1809] #664055 05/08/09 07:23 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Quote:

My bird dogs stay at the foot of the bed, every night. When I am in the house they are too. If I am outside they are too. They are absolutely a part of the family.

Totally the same way. Althought my dog tries to push me outta the bed.

[Linked Image]

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #664056 05/08/09 10:49 AM
R
Redboneman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
jgiles, I would challenge you to make a lab a coon dog or big game dog. And who on God's earth uses beagles to hunt lion?...no one in their right mind. Lions go up trees and beagles do not have a treeing instinct. Brother I have owned and trained labs at one time, and there is no way on earth that it is as much of a "do it all" dog as you describe. They are good dogs, no doubt. But they are cold nosed and have no track drive unless you seriously train.

So if you think a champion lab can scent the way a champion coon dog can...all I can say is I would love to see it.

Bottom line is every dog is bread and developed for a different style. You won't send a Dachshund after a mountain lion just like you won't send a lab after a badger. And btw there are lots of dogs that can last in the water just as long as a lab. (they aren't that special)

As for genetics, yes they do cost money. But don't sit there and think you have a do it all dog, you don't. I have run them and owned them and hunted them in the Mississippi Flyway. They are great for what they are meant for but not worth crap for other things. So get your breed for what you need to do and have fun doing it. My just ask that you quit acting like Labs are superior to any dog at any task.

(btw a lab would get worked as a catch/kill dog, they have no drive for stick and kill)

Let me make sure everyone knows, I love labs and will own another one for a duck/goose dog. I actually love the breed, they just have their job.

Last edited by Redboneman; 05/08/09 10:52 AM.
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: wal1809] #664057 05/08/09 03:04 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Quote:

+1

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: TreeBass] #664058 05/08/09 04:13 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Quote:

Quote:

+1

+2

[Linked Image]
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #664059 05/08/09 07:36 PM
N
nichols Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

+1

+2

Thats cool that yalls dogs sleep in the house with yall, I love dogs too, but do yall ever run into a problem with them getting too babied. Such as not wanting to go out and work in the cold. Idk it may not apply to them but I know with regular huntin dogs if you baby them they will get soft and not perform to their potential! No offense intended, just a question!!

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: nichols] #664060 05/08/09 07:45 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
thats where solid hunting genes come into play

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: garrett] #664061 05/08/09 08:03 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Quote:

Exactly! I looked around until I found a line that was touted as "calm around the house and brag dogs in the field". That hunting drive is always there, no matter what.

As GR said, A dog from a good genetic (hunting) line, will have the "switch", and it's all GO in the field, all the time.

I REALLY don't want to get all of this started again, but this is one of the points that a lot of us are trying to make. If you start with a good strong foundation to build on, you can consistantly have it all in a dog. top notch family, top notch companion, top notch gun dog without any limitations or sacrificing one for the other.

Personally, and this is a "no offense is to be taken" thing... I believe that the thought process, that bringing a hunting dog into your family makes it "soft and won't preform as well" to be old school and completely false. I've brought every one of my dogs over the years into the family and I have never had a soft dog, but I always start with good genetics.

[Linked Image]
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #664062 05/08/09 08:19 PM
F
FETCH_UP Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly! I looked around until I found a line that was touted as "calm around the house and brag dogs in the field". That hunting drive is always there, no matter what.

As GR said, A dog from a good genetic (hunting) line, will have the "switch", and it's all GO in the field, all the time.

I REALLY don't want to get all of this started again, but this is one of the points that a lot of us are trying to make. If you start with a good strong foundation to build on, you can consistantly have it all in a dog. top notch family, top notch companion, top notch gun dog without any limitations or sacrificing one for the other.

Personally, and this is a "no offense is to be taken" thing... I believe that the thought process, that bringing a hunting dog into your family makes it "soft and won't preform as well" to be old school and completely false. I've brought every one of my dogs over the years into the family and I have never had a soft dog, but I always start with good genetics.

Mine will come in every once in a while but when its time to go there is no doubt about them being ready!

*Cant believe this thing has gone 7 pages without getting locked, lol, im impressed that its been "somewhat" civil.

[Linked Image]
HRCH ACE MH
Triple D Duck Club
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #664063 05/08/09 09:42 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Personally, and this is a "no offense is to be taken" thing... I believe that the thought process, that bringing a hunting dog into your family makes it "soft and won't preform as well" to be old school and completely false.

ding ding ding

old school like Richard Wolters

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: garrett] #664064 05/08/09 10:19 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Quote:

Quote:

Personally, and this is a "no offense is to be taken" thing... I believe that the thought process, that bringing a hunting dog into your family makes it "soft and won't preform as well" to be old school and completely false.

Hogwash it what it is, hogwash.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: wal1809] #664065 05/09/09 02:36 AM
N
nichols Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Thats cool!! I dont believe it is a a hogwash statement tho. It may be with retrievers but Ive seen from personal experience that hunting dogs that are babied dont hunt as well. Dogs that get babied wont get far from your feet bcuz they are wanting to getted petted. I guess its fine with retrievers but doesnt go well with dogs that you want to go hunt hard. Im sure there are exceptions but for the most part the best huntin dogs I have seen were not babied. Ive never seen a coon dog sleeping in someones house!!

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: nichols] #664066 05/09/09 05:07 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Quote:

Thats cool!! I dont believe it is a a hogwash statement tho. It may be with retrievers but Ive seen from personal experience that hunting dogs that are babied dont hunt as well. Dogs that get babied wont get far from your feet bcuz they are wanting to getted petted. I guess its fine with retrievers but doesnt go well with dogs that you want to go hunt hard. Im sure there are exceptions but for the most part the best huntin dogs I have seen were not babied. Ive never seen a coon dog sleeping in someones house!!

Interesting,,,,,

I know many FC/AFC's NFC's that sleep in their owners bed, hunt like no tomorrow and train with their pro's 10 months a year...

Pedigree, training, talent and RESPECT... Is all a dog needs to do it all...

Angie

Last edited by Angie B; 05/09/09 05:07 AM.

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #664067 05/09/09 07:49 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Note that the lab has class and proper manners, and that pointer has absolutely no shame.

I think an indoor dog is a more well behaved dog, they have to be or they get kicked outside . A lot of training with my dog happens in the house, namely with obedience and how to behave around guest. I think all this helps in the blind and when around other hunters.

I use to put my dog outside on nights before hunts when it was cold, I thought it would help her better deal with the cold. I did that one season, and don't think it really helped/had an impact. But I tell you what, that one season I put her out side, man she really realized how much she liked her indoor kennel. I say "kennel", and she makes a b-line right to the indoor kennel hoping to hell I don’t mean the outdoor one.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Guy] #664068 05/09/09 08:22 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
My dog is definitely equipped with the "switch"

[Linked Image]

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Angie B] #664069 05/09/09 08:03 PM
N
nichols Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Quote:

Quote:

Interesting,,,,,

I know many FC/AFC's NFC's that sleep in their owners bed, hunt like no tomorrow and train with their pro's 10 months a year...

Angie

What is an FC/AFC NFC????

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: nichols] #664070 05/10/09 12:40 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting,,,,,

Angie

What is an FC/AFC NFC????

Field Champion, Amateur Field Champion and National Field Champion...

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide