Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tertiarily (sorry, I had to)

had to what??? make up a word?

You caught on fast

too bad you haven't...

[Linked Image]
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #663997 05/01/09 05:04 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tertiarily (sorry, I had to)

had to what??? make up a word?

You caught on fast

too bad you haven't...

LOL

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Angie B] #663998 05/01/09 05:06 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Does someone have the lyrics to "White Trash Paradise" by Daryl Lee Rush that they could post up here???

I think it would be appropriate.....

You guys are toooo much!!

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Angie B] #663999 05/01/09 07:15 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
I am proud to be Apache Indian

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #664000 05/01/09 11:22 PM
L
LG Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Exactly what is EIC? And how does it effect your dog?
Thanks,
Lance

Never look a monkey in the eye
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: LG] #664001 05/01/09 11:26 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
read this....

part 2 part 1

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: garrett] #664002 05/01/09 11:29 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
well i need to be arrested!!!!!! i got a cow dog for free the other day!!!!!! didnt check its pedigree or nothing!!!!!! prev owner said he was a full blood cur!! and thought it could probably work cattle pretty good since its parents did!!! i sure hope it doesnt develop any serious health problems!!!! that woudl kill me!!!! i guess i should go spend a few hundred and get it checked........ humanization b.s.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #664003 05/01/09 11:37 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
apples and oranges....

labs are a pimped out breed and the overall health of the entire breed has been hurt by people just throwing 2 dogs together and not caring about anything except making a buck. I would not buy a lab unless the parents had the health certs. labs are prone to certain health problems...

now on the other hand I would not have a problem buying an EP or a GSP that the dam and sire where not OFA'd, they are not as pimped out...or a cow dog for that matter

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: garrett] #664004 05/01/09 11:42 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
alright well i guess ill end this for me and im sure there are plenty people on this forum that feel the same way. i will continue taking my chances as i have not heard to many sob stories about back yard dogs having terrible defects, heard more about people buying backyard dogs that work great. therefore, the chances of me getting a crappy put for a couple hundred bucks is slim to none. so i guess i could spend 2 or 3 times as much a get a dog that is ALMOST garunteed to not have any problems..... doesnt sound like a good plan for me when there is such a low chance of getting a crappy dog. at least thats what i noticed from my experience. I have no problem with people buying from a highclass breeder. they are no doubt good dogs. but i would never consider myself irresponsible for buying a DOG that was not completely checked for every lil bug that could ever exist, and then the tests could still be misleading.

Brandon

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #664005 05/01/09 11:59 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Quote:

alright well i guess ill end this for me and im sure there are plenty people on this forum that feel the same way. i will continue taking my chances as i have not heard to many sob stories about back yard dogs having terrible defects, heard more about people buying backyard dogs that work great. therefore, the chances of me getting a crappy put for a couple hundred bucks is slim to none. so i guess i could spend 2 or 3 times as much a get a dog that is ALMOST garunteed to not have any problems..... doesnt sound like a good plan for me when there is such a low chance of getting a crappy dog. at least thats what i noticed from my experience. I have no problem with people buying from a highclass breeder. they are no doubt good dogs. but i would never consider myself irresponsible for buying a DOG that was not completely checked for every lil bug that could ever exist, and then the tests could still be misleading.

Brandon

Watch out for that swine flu! LOL.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #664006 05/02/09 12:02 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
ya u know all those schools and stuff that are getting shut down?????? they are a few miles from the house, and all my dads side of the famiily lives over there lol. plus my pop goes to those towns a few times a week for work......im wearing a mask 24/7 lol! jk.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #664007 05/02/09 12:08 AM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
You got to love it when guys get on here and read about the first four or five posts in a 5 page thread that has it’s roots in two or three other threads and they start spewing… kinda makes them come across as... (what's the word I'm looking for...) igno.., nope... "uninformed" yeah, thats it!

This thread has nothing to do with humanization or even “irresponsible BUYING”, we could care less how you spend your mom and dad’s money, although it does tend to propagate the wingnuts that throw genetically inferior dogs together over and over and over again just to make a buck because people (read: reference to ‘Brandon A’ here) are willing to buy them… The thread is primarily (albeit not solely) about Labrador Retrievers and genetic deterioration of the overall BREED through “irresponsible” BREEDING practices. Go fetch a clue.

It’s more of a “crap in - crap out” type of situation… Hell, I’d take a free cow dog too, who wouldn’t, but I’m not going to take a free Lab, or free GSP, or free DD or anything else that I plan to spend the better part of a couple of years training and hunting only to come up with a 60% dog. I know your answer would be the tough guy route of “just kick it to the side and get another free one” and that is fine… but not with MY time and MY money. It’s an investment to me, and I have learned over the years (more than i care to admit) that you get what you pay for and nothing is free.

[Linked Image]
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #664008 05/02/09 12:20 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
ur right i only read the last post on a five page thread since i have post on pages 1,3,4, and 5. maybe u should read the entire thread. youve got some years with dogs on my undoubtedly. The majority of this thread was about people buying dogs that were not sound as far as there health goes. maybe u should go "fetch a clue" there firstchance. and a lot of posts that dogs are part of the family and should be taken to the doctor everytime they sneeze. BTW every dog i have ever had besides my first one, i have bought and paid for with the money i made from working, maybe unlike u or other people u know, ive been working on a ranch my entire life, and finally started getting paid when i was 12 yrs old. bought my first hunting dog then. And hey guess what, she had some pups with another lab that i was given for free with a crappy pedigree. I gave away all the puppies, and two of them that were given a lil training made bird dogs, one made a dog better than mine. so i would say that was a pretty good "free lab" BTW, i didnt give away the papers to those pups. stopped that line in its tracks. I would not say this thread was (only) about labs, but more dogs in general, again reaed the thread. The reference to labs was just made several times toward hip problems etc.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #664009 05/02/09 12:35 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
that thread that will never end

for anyone reading this that is thinking of getting a bird dog, you dont have to spend 3 times the money for a good dog with the proper health clearances.

example: a friend of mine bred his GSP bitch to a billy bad arse GSP...both went through the health clearances, pups sold for $400/male and $450/female...I would not think that is to big of a price to pay

Last edited by gr_elliott; 05/02/09 12:35 AM.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #664010 05/02/09 12:44 AM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Obviously I struck a nerve, not really my intention! You sound like a responsible person and I commend you on your willingness to work hard and spend your money on things that mean something to you, a very admirable quality. I guess I got the wrong impression from some of your earlier posts where your biting sarcasm towards the subject at hand sort of set the tone for how your were perceived. My bad… keep up the good work and judging by your post count, you’ll be an expert around here in no time. Carry on.

GR... i paid $450 for the pup in my sig. stellar dog in every sense of the word.

[Linked Image]
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #664011 05/02/09 03:42 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Quote:

GR... i paid $450 for the pup in my sig. stellar dog in every sense of the word.

How much for the dress?

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #664012 05/02/09 05:28 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Quote:

Obviously I struck a nerve, not really my intention! You sound like a responsible person and I commend you on your willingness to work hard and spend your money on things that mean something to you, a very admirable quality. I guess I got the wrong impression from some of your earlier posts where your biting sarcasm towards the subject at hand sort of set the tone for how your were perceived. My bad… keep up the good work and judging by your post count, you’ll be an expert around here in no time. Carry on.

Its all good, 1stChance. I think we ae both thick skinned.

Also, I have to admit that unless you think THFing all day, shooting at the range, collecting brass or doing some woodwork in my garage is hard I certainly ain't working. 08 was in that damn desert so I decided to take 365 days off. I do have to get up and be at work at 0630 everyday, but then I turn around and come right back home. So, if anyone wants to call me a lazy-good-for-nothing, I really do not have much of a defense right now.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #664013 05/02/09 06:19 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
ya 1st chance, its all fun here. my sarcasm here at the end was because the thead HAD died lol. but someone threw out some crazy meds and revived it. i guess u could call me lazy right now since i sit at home and post on THF and read all day. IT kills me. This afternoon i walked outside and started splittting wood bcause i coudlnt stand to study aany more lol. one more week. then i get to go out and work in the country again!!!! man i hate the city

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #664014 05/02/09 09:15 PM
T
Texpppr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I have been thinking of getting Brittany pup, but being a HS teacher ..only so much $$$.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Texpppr] #664015 05/03/09 07:25 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
you can get a good brit in the $400 range...price of pup is only a small amount when compared to the price of ownership

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: garrett] #664016 05/03/09 07:45 PM
T
Texpppr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Oh don't I know that. I would want to fence in the rest of my back yard and put in a doggy door for starters..

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #664017 05/04/09 02:13 AM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Quote:

alright well i guess ill end this for me and im sure there are plenty people on this forum that feel the same way. i will continue taking my chances as i have not heard to many sob stories about back yard dogs having terrible defects

Just because you haven't heard about it means that it doesn't happen?

Quote:

heard more about people buying backyard dogs that work great. therefore, the chances of me getting a crappy put for a couple hundred bucks is slim to none.

Can you put this into context for us? Give us examples of the things a great dog can do. Can you also give us the data you used to determine these statistics?

Quote:

so i guess i could spend 2 or 3 times as much a get a dog that is ALMOST garunteed to not have any problems..... doesnt sound like a good plan for me when there is such a low chance of getting a crappy dog. at least thats what i noticed from my experience.

Can you tell us about your experience? How many dogs have you trained that fall into the category you describe above? How many dogs have you been around that fall into the category your describe above?

Quote:

I have no problem with people buying from a highclass breeder. they are no doubt good dogs. but i would never consider myself irresponsible for buying a DOG that was not completely checked for every lil bug that could ever exist, and then the tests could still be misleading.
Brandon

Can you explain to us how the tests could be misleading? Would you buy a car knowing that it was prone to exploding in a wreck due to a faulty part? Would you ask for proof that the part was replaced prior to purchasing the car?

Quote:

so i guess i could spend 2 or 3 times as much a get a dog that is ALMOST garunteed to not have any problems.....

It appears, from what I’m reading, that those that buy dogs from breeders without health certifications (not guarantees) believe that the only thing you get for the extra money being spent on high end pups is the health guarantee. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. High end breeders do have the health checks done but you also get a much better dog (in the majority of the cases). That’s not to say that you can’t get a great dog from a lesser pedigree but the odds are stacked in your favor if you get a pup from a stacked pedigree.

Now, before everyone starts the dog pile, let me explain. The folks that are only looking for a meat dog (dog that hunts during the season and is a couch potato the rest of the year) can get that from a backyard breeding. Those that want the next GRHRCH, FC/AFC or SRS dog know that the chances of getting one of these dogs from a backyard breeding is slim and none (and slim just left town). This type of dog requires a large investment (time and money) and the potential buyer is not willing to take a chance on a dog that doesn’t have certifications or proven abilities. Not all certifications on the sire/dam guarantee the pup won’t have a problem (like Angie stated above, hip/elbow and heart problems can be caused by the owner and not genetics). But, properly researching a pedigree will stack the odds in your favor. If you want a dog that is going to require tens of thousands of dollars in training to achieve a title then you aren’t going to risk that on a dog that could be sidelined in a couple of years due to a genetic condition. It would be money well wasted. If you’re looking for a dog to go out and pick up ducks during hunting season then it wouldn’t be a big issue. From what I’ve read from a couple of posts the dog would probably be put down and the person would go get another one. That’s not the attitude I would have but that’s just me.

If you’re looking for a hunting buddy only then I can see why you wouldn’t want to spend a bunch of money on a pup but I would hope that you would still want the healthiest pup you could buy. That is the reason for the tests.

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: kbobbjr] #664018 05/04/09 04:42 AM
B
bamboe Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Ill start off by saying that have read the entire post, so that can quash any responses to that. It seems to me that the whole discussion revolves around health tests, and high end dogs vs non high end. the person who sells her dogs for $1500 believes she is just in doing so because she has the dogs tested and such. My question to her would be that if she had a repeat breeding of her current litter, and didnt have the tests done would the dogs be worth less? On the flip side, she is entitled to sell her dogs for however much she can. Those who believe that $1500 is way to much to spend, are also entitled to their opinion. It seems however that those who are trying to justify their position have to get their digs in on the other viewpoint. I have a lab, and I paid much less than 1500 and feel confident he could compete with the best bred dogs out there. I base this on the fact that I have Marshalled hunt tests in the past and have seen the dogs compete. Neither side will convince the other. I do find some of the replies to be very enjoyable to read however. Thanks

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: kbobbjr] #664019 05/04/09 04:50 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
The bottom line is when it comes to dogs where do you spend your money???

If the one eyed poodle with three legs that lives under your porch is good enough to be your meat dog, who am I to say different??

If you want a lab but think any lab will do. That's fine... Go to your local flea market...

But if you want a trained retriever,,, I mean a trained retriever that you're planning on sticking some serious time and money into, then ofcourse you're going to be an educated consumer and get the best bang for your buck...

You fella's laugh at how much money people are willing to drop on a dog,,,, but dollar to donuts, you drop some serious jingle on something I would feel is ridiculous.

Of all the sporting dogs,retrievers fetch the highest price tag be it puppy or finished dog. Usually their housing/kennels, training and competition venues tag the highest dollar.

You wanna drive a Pinto that you picked up from the junk yard, a Ford Fusion or a Beamer??

Pick your poisin...

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Angie B] #664020 05/05/09 04:19 PM
B
bamboe Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
See now this is what I was talking about. Instead of just agreeing to disagree. You basically are saying that if someone doesn't spend big dollars on a dog, then he/she obviously boutght the dog at a flea market, and that the dog must be junk. So its either a high end dog or a one eyed poodle???? Thats a BIG jump.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide