Forums46
Topics539,416
Posts9,749,327
Members87,160
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: westtexaswatkins] #663971 04/30/09 09:19 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Just stumbled on this thread and WOW, what a fun read. I have a few points to add, just for fun.
1- "me thinks" is one word and methinks you should use spellcheck or an online dictionary.
2- Methinks anyone can sell/breed a dog however they want if it is legal. Its a damn dog, it isn't going to college and it won't cure cancer.
3- Methinks you are a self-righteous person if selling a puppy because two mutts bumped uglies makes you angry.
4- Methinks testing dogs for hydroherpesyphylaids is funny. Thanks, I needed a laugh.
5- Methinks the phrase "high-end kennel" is a creative euphemism for "really expensive place that even the smartest dogs will poop and sleep in the same little cage." I am not sure I will have to check my OED on that one.
6- The 4 dogs I have owned in my life have taught me well.
A. Beagle, "Krinkle"- three years old and dead in backyard, I was an irresponsible dead dog owner and did not get a "dogtopsy." It did not die of neglect, I assure you of that.
B. Black lab, "Jake"- most recent pet. He was hit by a Suburban, broke all front teeth; tail cut off when steel door closed unexpectedly (I assume unexpectedly otherwise I methinks the dog would have moved his tail). He was the only possession other than a washer and dryer to survive an apartment fire. For some reason he became skittish after that. Go figure! He was thrown from back of an Isuzu Rodeo at 60+mph during a head-on collision. I went to the hospital, he went to my parents' house for the weekend. He once ate a 2 pound channel catfish alive (I knew he would fetch a bird, but a fish?). He didn't seem to have an upset stomach, but did appear confused afterwards. He could count to ten, I would old up my fingers and say "count" and he would bark the corresponding number of barks. He may have had 100 broken legs and many times his eyes must have been gouged out, OR my nieces and nephews were just real good at playing "Doggy Doctor" with ACE bandages He died at the vet's office due to injection of Ketamine and the other drug that which name escapes my me presently (Pento-barbitol???). He was just shy of 18 years old.
C. Poodle, "Oldie"- very apropos name as he was a "family member" before I was. I don't know what happened to him, but I hope it hurt real bad!
D. Mutt, "Honey"- was about 10 pounds and could out run a whippet. The perfect companion for a young boy, she could play fetch, run homemade "obstacle courses," and seemed even to like to be involved when all my friends and I were having a dirt clod fight. Died around 13 years old from being fed to much human food at Thanksgiving. And, no, I did not feed her any.
The hapless, worthless beagle was from a "high-end kennel" and I should have taken the dog back instead of burying her in the backyard. The others were bought at one of those Walmart/Target/Sonic Drive-Thru/Bubba-Gump/We-live-on-a-dirt-road-because-we-can't-afford-pavement/Humane Society type places. By the way... Humane Society is two lies in one.

westtexaswatkins, Do you have another "Jake"? If so, can you mail him to me for twelve bucks?

I think I am going to go use my desktop publisher to make a fine pedigree for the $2000 chocolate lab, err... field mouse, that just walked into my garage.

Addendum: If you have a $5000 lease, a $4000 blind, a $3000 gun, a $2000 dog, a $1000 rangefinder, a $500 pair of boots, a $300 Duracoat and a $100 box of ammo are you still a hunter????

Methinks not.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663972 04/30/09 11:58 AM
G
GRR80 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Geez where is the love?

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: GRR80] #663973 04/30/09 04:04 PM
R
rb85cj7 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
wow, what a well thought out argument.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663974 04/30/09 04:15 PM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Quote:

Just stumbled on this thread and WOW, what a fun read. I have a few points to add, just for fun.
1- "me thinks" is one word and methinks you should use spellcheck or an online dictionary.
2- Methinks anyone can sell/breed a dog however they want if it is legal. Its a damn dog, it isn't going to college and it won't cure cancer.
3- Methinks you are a self-righteous person if selling a puppy because two mutts bumped uglies makes you angry.
4- Methinks testing dogs for hydroherpesyphylaids is funny. Thanks, I needed a laugh.
5- Methinks the phrase "high-end kennel" is a creative euphemism for "really expensive place that even the smartest dogs will poop and sleep in the same little cage." I am not sure I will have to check my OED on that one.
A. Beagle, "Krinkle"- three years old and dead in backyard, I was an irresponsible dead dog owner and did not get a "dogtopsy." It did not die of neglect, I assure you of that.
B. Black lab, "Jake"- most recent pet. He was hit by a Suburban, broke all front teeth; tail cut off when steel door closed unexpectedly (I assume unexpectedly otherwise I methinks the dog would have moved his tail). He was the only possession other than a washer and dryer to survive an apartment fire. For some reason he became skittish after that. Go figure! He was thrown from back of an Isuzu Rodeo at 60+mph during a head-on collision. I went to the hospital, he went to my parents' house for the weekend. He once ate a 2 pound channel catfish alive (I knew he would fetch a bird, but a fish?). He didn't seem to have an upset stomach, but did appear confused afterwards. He could count to ten, I would old up my fingers and say "count" and he would bark the corresponding number of barks. He may have had 100 broken legs and many times his eyes must have been gouged out, OR my nieces and nephews were just real good at playing "Doggy Doctor" with ACE bandages He died at the vet's office due to injection of Ketamine and the other drug that which name escapes my me presently (Pento-barbitol???). He was just shy of 18 years old.
C. Poodle, "Oldie"- very apropos name as he was a "family member" before I was. I don't know what happened to him, but I hope it hurt real bad!
D. Mutt, "Honey"- was about 10 pounds and could out run a whippet. The perfect companion for a young boy, she could play fetch, run homemade "obstacle courses," and seemed even to like to be involved when all my friends and I were having a dirt clod fight. Died around 13 years old from being fed to much human food at Thanksgiving. And, no, I did not feed her any.
The hapless, worthless beagle was from a "high-end kennel" and I should have taken the dog back instead of burying her in the backyard. The others were bought at one of those Walmart/Target/Sonic Drive-Thru/Bubba-Gump/We-live-on-a-dirt-road-because-we-can't-afford-pavement/Humane Society type places. By the way... Humane Society is two lies in one.

westtexaswatkins, Do you have another "Jake"? If so, can you mail him to me for twelve bucks?

I think I am going to go use my desktop publisher to make a fine pedigree for the $2000 chocolate lab, err... field mouse, that just walked into my garage.

Addendum: If you have a $5000 lease, a $4000 blind, a $3000 gun, a $2000 dog, a $1000 rangefinder, a $500 pair of boots, a $300 Duracoat and a $100 box of ammo are you still a hunter????

Methinks not.

Those in glass houses should not cast stones.....

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663975 04/30/09 04:30 PM
Z
Zack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Z
Quote:

Methinks not.

You remind me of this guy that I know that thinks he is really witty. He is not.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Zack] #663976 04/30/09 04:33 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Quote:

You remind me of this guy that I know that thinks he is really witty. He is not.

<chuckle> *snort*

[Linked Image]
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #663977 04/30/09 05:09 PM
F
FETCH_UP Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Cant believe this thing came back to life! lol

[Linked Image]
HRCH ACE MH
Triple D Duck Club
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: FETCH_UP] #663978 04/30/09 06:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Quote:

Cant believe this thing came back to life! lol

x2

one of the best roping /all around horses I had was a mutt mustang.... Unfortunetly it took 25 other horse to find him when I could of spent little more upfront and 15x less down the road and brought a proven background right off the bat.

Lost 8 first calf heifers one year, bought a fine looking bull at the sell barn..... unfortently his long dong produced extra large calves that the heifers couldn't birth... got a pedigreed bull next year with a history of low birth weights...... problem solved again if I would thought just a little more about genetics and paid a little more up front I would of save lots of $$K's

Yes a dog is a dog and a horse is a horse and a bull a bull.... but they aren't all created equal..just like humans

You can take a gamble and maybe get a great one... but just like vegas you may win you may lose...ever wonder how they pay for those giant hotels gamblers

Last edited by jgiles; 04/30/09 06:10 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Zack] #663979 04/30/09 06:30 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Quote:

Quote:

Methinks not.

The feeling is reciprocated. Funny, huh?

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663980 05/01/09 12:28 AM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Hey Grey, welcome to the thread, you missed some good times earlier. Thanks for bringing it back to life.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: westtexaswatkins] #663981 05/01/09 01:14 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
oo what a thread... so much humunization of dogs here its unreal...... i agree with u there grey. i have yet to see my dogs suffer from some crazy health problem that couldve been avoided if id paid a few grand to get em checked for it... i mean unless the age of 12 and 13 is young for labs.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Closed Traverse] #663982 05/01/09 02:36 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
I consider myself to be a very open minded individual, my employment insists on it, but I will never swallow for one second that a hunting dog NEEDS to cost that much money. It reminds me of the Bob Lee Swagger wannabes that say that I have to have H&K magazines in my M4. Sorry, I will stick with my issued ones. They cost about $10, not $60. Sheesh.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663983 05/01/09 02:46 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think you may have missed the point of the tread, but thats OK

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: garrett] #663984 05/01/09 02:48 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
from what i could see it was all about health issues developing in "back yard dogs" what a load of B.S.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: garrett] #663985 05/01/09 03:10 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Quote:

It depends on what you think the thread was about. Originally, the question was asked simply where do you buy your dogs. Secondarily, some people were upset (or however they felt) that people would buy from places other than "high-end kennels." Tertiarily (sorry, I had to), the thread was about the reasoning behind the $1500 dogs or the lack thereof. If I missed something, I am all ears.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663986 05/01/09 04:13 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Quote:

Quote:

It depends on what you think the thread was about. Originally, the question was asked simply where do you buy your dogs. Secondarily, some people were upset (or however they felt) that people would buy from places other than "high-end kennels." Tertiarily (sorry, I had to), the thread was about the reasoning behind the $1500 dogs or the lack thereof. If I missed something, I am all ears.

I don't think it was about the cost so much as being from a responseable breeder.... no different then horses.. you know how many horses have been line bred with traits that are scarey bad...lots just because a horse won one race or one big show doesn't me he is fit to breed..

Just like buying a car or truck do you really want to buy a car or truck that has the worst consumer rating out there and take the cahnce. I agree that alot of animals are getting way over priced for what they are... but a least buy from someone that knows what they are selling you

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #663987 05/01/09 04:27 AM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think it was about the cost so much as being from a responseable breeder.... no different then horses.. you know how many horses have been line bred with traits that are scarey bad...lots just because a horse won one race or one big show doesn't me he is fit to breed..

Just like buying a car or truck do you really want to buy a car or truck that has the worst consumer rating out there and take the cahnce. I agree that alot of animals are getting way over priced for what they are... but a least buy from someone that knows what they are selling you

what he said

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: garrett] #663988 05/01/09 04:35 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
That was the exact point I covered in items 2 and 3 of my original post in this thread. I have no issues with what one does for a living, but please do not pass off what some of the folks here are doing as "responsible." By the same token I could make the argument that letting a child ride a bike without wearing full-body hockey pads, an orange strobe light and a siren is irresponsible.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663989 05/01/09 04:43 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
gotta love the analogies!!!!!! +1 grey.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663990 05/01/09 04:59 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Quote:

That was the exact point I covered in items 2 and 3 of my original post in this thread. I have no issues with what one does for a living, but please do not pass off what some of the folks here are doing as "responsible." By the same token I could make the argument that letting a child ride a bike without wearing full-body hockey pads, an orange strobe light and a siren is irresponsible.

Or leaving you kid in the car on a 100 degree day why you got into walmart hopefully your more responsable then that... goes both ways.. I agree there are a few over the top people on the subject...but to an extent you have to agree with them...why wouldn't you want a little history on your animal??? Whould you go buy a baby tiger and not understand why when they grow up they just ate the niebhors kid...

free country(as of today) you can do as you wish... I hope you don't also get caught up shooting culls because they have bad genes and you don't want them breeding... personally I could care less where anyone gets there dog or how much they pay.... But i know any animal i going to have as part of my family for the long term I'm going to use every precaution to make sure it has the ability to live a long life with very few complications... IMO

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #663991 05/01/09 07:49 AM
D
dabuckmaster24 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I paid $300 for my dog, and my dogs parents, grandparents and so on where all hips, elbows, and eyes checked. I wouldn't say she has the best pedigree, but it is sufficient enough to prove to me she should have good health and is trainable. My buddy paid $250 for his and her pedigree is awesome. Both of our puppies where supposed to sell for a higher price. His dog is awesome and my dog is on here way to becoming a great dog. Also I know a reputable breeder who has all his dogs checked for all the test above and all test where great, well he sold a pup, and guess what (hip problems). It just proves to you , that even with test you can have problems. That being said, if you do your homework and find a breeder that has done thered you are far less likely to have serious medical problems, and have a dog that is trainable to your standards. Just my .02. I promise you I will never pay $1000 for a dog. I can get a dog with close to the same pedigree, for far less. It might take more time, a different breeder, but I guarantee it will come along.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: dabuckmaster24] #663992 05/01/09 07:52 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Quote:

I paid $300 for my dog, and my dogs parents, grandparents and so on where all hips, elbows, and eyes checked. I wouldn't say she has the best pedigree, but it is sufficient enough to prove to me she should have good health and is trainable. My buddy paid $250 for his and her pedigree is awesome. Both of our puppies where supposed to sell for a higher price. His dog is awesome and my dog is on here way to becoming a great dog. Also I know a reputable breeder who has all his dogs checked for all the test above and all test where great, well he sold a pup, and guess what (hip problems). It just proves to you , that even with test you can have problems. That being said, if you do your homework and find a breeder that has done thered you are far less likely to have serious medical problems, and have a dog that is trainable to your standards. Just my .02. I promise you I will never pay $1000 for a dog. I can get a dog with close to the same pedigree, for far less. It might take more time, a different breeder, but I guarantee it will come along.

Tru'dat!

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663993 05/01/09 09:05 AM
R
Redboneman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
No pup should cost $1500.00 that is insane even for the best blood in the business. However, there are a large amount of cull dogs and dogs with issues being put out by folks that don't take an interest in improving a breed. Some coon dogs go for about $350 a pup, that would make it $450 to your door. These are the very best blood lines that the Redbone breed has to offer though, I mean every pup is a lay up tree dog. This comes from careful breeding of healthy dogs that have those traits and natural instincts.

So, yeah no way in hell would I pay $1500.00 for a pup. But I am willing to pay a little cash for a dog that is predisposed to track well and tree hard. This kind of blood line comes from literally 20yrs or so of good selective breeding.

Don't get me wrong, some "backyard pups" put high dollar dogs to shame, but not consistently. Anyhow, I have said my piece, and I am coming from the stand point of an active hunter and one who is active in wanting to better a breed of dog.

Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: Inky Doc] #663994 05/01/09 04:19 PM
F
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
Quote:

Tertiarily (sorry, I had to)

had to what??? make up a word?

[Linked Image]
Re: Where do you buy your Hunting Dogs [Re: First_Chance] #663995 05/01/09 04:23 PM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Quote:

Quote:

Tertiarily (sorry, I had to)

had to what??? make up a word?

You caught on fast

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread