Print Thread
Correct shot follow through #6601950 12/25/16 02:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
When it comes to shooting accuracy, the focus is almost always on all the mechanics that lead up to the time of the shot. Seldom does the discussion center on what you should do after the shot, the most important being to "see" the shot and the deer's reaction. And when shooting a bolt action, proper follow through includes all the mechanics necessary to ensure a good follow-up shot, if needed.

IMO, one of the best indicators of a likely miss is when the shooter cannot tell you the deer's reaction at the time of the shot. Sometimes they can't even tell you which way the deer ran off. When this happens, it's obvious the shooter was anticipating the recoil and had their eyes closed. But on the flip side, the shooter who hasn't fired their firearm since last season can often create an accurate "first shot" simply because they have no recent memory of recoil. I saw this first hand with my daughter during a recent trip to the range when her first shot was a bullseye hit, a shot she could not repeat the rest of the day. It also points to those who scoff at the need to practice, having been able to kill a deer with one of these semi-annual shots.

My skills have never been good enough to work a bolt action immediately after the shot while shouldering my rifle, which I understand is the recommended practice. But I'm sure that too is something that could be easily acquired through repetition and practice.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6603402 12/27/16 01:14 AM
C
chrswr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
up

Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6603541 12/27/16 02:48 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
What's this witchcraft of deer running after being shot? confused2

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: TexFlip] #6603547 12/27/16 02:53 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6603580 12/27/16 03:23 AM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Good post. When I was a little kid, my grandfather told me I had not made a good shot if I did not follow through and see what happened through the scope.

I haven't always done it, but when I have I do not miss.

I think you're right about a person who shoots rarely not flinching on the shot. That is an interesting point I had not considered, but I think there's something to it.

Honestly, I probably fall into that category. I shot my gun three times this year – – once to guarantee it was on, once to kill a hog which I posted here, and once to kill an old buck which I posted here. That was it. And that's pretty normal. Often shoot one time to start the year, then do not shoot again unless I'm worried my scope got knocked off. And lots of years I don't kill a deer (kids fill the freezer). The appearance of hogs in the western hill country has given my old 270 a little bit more action. But I don't shoot often, and I very rarely miss anything. But I've been shooting the same hand me down 270 for 30 years.

Last edited by ErnestTBass; 12/27/16 03:27 AM.
Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6603583 12/27/16 03:25 AM
S
Shawheel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Dry firing also helps me a ton. You can use those pop caps if you're worried about the firing pin.

I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness. -Ted Nugent
Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6603593 12/27/16 03:37 AM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
"IMO, one of the best indicators of a likely miss is when the shooter cannot tell you the deer's reaction at the time of the shot. Sometimes they can't even tell you which way the deer ran off. When this happens, it's obvious the shooter was anticipating the recoil and had their eyes closed."

I'm quite sure that is a true statement but not so fast. A lot of shooters are using more magnification than is necessary especially at short distance. The normal recoil at high magnification will distort your sight picture. Yes, a hit deer can be GONE before you can recover for a visual through the scope. Of course if you can shoot with both eyes open then you don't have a problem. Been telling myself to do that for the last 20 years. Well maybe next year.

Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6603670 12/27/16 04:38 AM
B
Buck25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I teach watch the animal and instinctive bolt work .This is simple with short action. Once while hunting in river bottom in hunt county I heard what I thought to be simi auto fire close to where my 15 year old son was in stand. It was late morning I went to ck on Jake he was out of stand when I got there He was walking my direction I ask him who was shooting? Jake replied me Dad! I said no way that was three shots simi auto He said no it was me now help me find this buck. After a short blood trail there was his buck man he is fast.

I know allot about everything-Everything about nothing!!!!
Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Walkabout] #6603769 12/27/16 06:27 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Walkabout
"IMO, one of the best indicators of a likely miss is when the shooter cannot tell you the deer's reaction at the time of the shot. Sometimes they can't even tell you which way the deer ran off. When this happens, it's obvious the shooter was anticipating the recoil and had their eyes closed."

I'm quite sure that is a true statement but not so fast. A lot of shooters are using more magnification than is necessary especially at short distance. The normal recoil at high magnification will distort your sight picture. Yes, a hit deer can be GONE before you can recover for a visual through the scope. Of course if you can shoot with both eyes open then you don't have a problem. Been telling myself to do that for the last 20 years. Well maybe next year.

This is true. You would think some guys are trying to shoot a photo of buck, rather than hit it with a bullet, considering how much glass they put between them and the deer.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6603783 12/27/16 07:01 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I am one to not follow proper protocol after a shot. I always immediately cycle another bullet while looking over the rifle where the animal is going. I shoot a fixed 6 so need to keep looking through the scope but it isn't hard to get back on them with that magnification. Luckily have not had to make that second shot on a deer. I did get a double on hogs the other night at 65 yards. Shot and dropped one, cycled immediately and was able to get on another one even closer dropping it as well.

Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6604527 12/27/16 09:48 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
When it comes to shooting accuracy, the focus is almost always on all the mechanics that lead up to the time of the shot. Seldom does the discussion center on what you should do after the shot, the most important being to "see" the shot and the deer's reaction. And when shooting a bolt action, proper follow through includes all the mechanics necessary to ensure a good follow-up shot, if needed.

up
X2

- seems every year there's someone on here pouting '... then he got back up and ran off, never to be seen again...' roflmao
hammer

Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: TexFlip] #6604658 12/27/16 11:42 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
walking

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6604800 12/28/16 01:09 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My complete follow through includes a happy dance followed by coffee.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6604867 12/28/16 01:53 AM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

IMO, one of the best indicators of a likely miss is when the shooter cannot tell you the deer's reaction at the time of the shot. Sometimes they can't even tell you which way the deer ran off. When this happens, it's obvious the shooter was anticipating the recoil and had their eyes closed. But on the flip side, the shooter who hasn't fired their firearm since last season can often create an accurate "first shot" simply because they have no recent memory of recoil. I saw this first hand with my daughter during a recent trip to the range when her first shot was a bullseye hit, a shot she could not repeat the rest of the day. It also points to those who scoff at the need to practice, having been able to kill a deer with one of these semi-annual shots.

My skills have never been good enough to work a bolt action immediately after the shot while shouldering my rifle, which I understand is the recommended practice. But I'm sure that too is something that could be easily acquired through repetition and practice.

Such a good Post
I am 70 and use to be a pretty good rifle shot now I flinch and would consider myself poor. A couple of weeks ago I had anice bobcat out my back door. Damn near bent the trigger.

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6604880 12/28/16 02:06 AM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
With all above, darn glasses don't help either, near sighted with bifocals. Shoot right hand left eye dominant. I loose all the way around. Ha ha

Re: Correct shot follow through [Re: Texas Dan] #6605282 12/28/16 02:29 PM
J
jt402 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Too many people use too much scope. Includes me sometimes. A few years ago when times were financially good, I ended up with a bunch of 2.5-8 and 3.5-10 scopes. My favorite bolt gun, a fairly light .308 wears a 4X Zeiss. My grab and go 30-30 wears a 3X Leupold, the use of these two have taught me that the variables need to be set on the low end or close to it, most of the time. Game or varmints way out there usually allow time to crank up, if needed. The reverse is not true. Close shots are often now or never.

Where to shoot. For meat deer, I like head or heart shots. No meat is wasted. Neck or shoulder shots usually ruin a good bit of burger, chili, or sausage meats. Heart shot deer usually run until they run out of blood. Usually forty to sixty yards. Count on it. I usually pick the deer and the location on meat deer. I like to anchor a larger buck, if possible, to facilitate recovery. This sometimes ruins shoulders, depending on location and the positioning of the buck.

Shoot a cartridge you are comfortable with. Although my favorite is a .308, I have found the .243 loaded with 95 or 100 Nosler Partitions to be great deer medicine. Unless you are shooting across fields of crop land, magnums are not needed.

Shoot with both eyes open. At any distance, you can hear the bullet hit on a still day or if a slight wind is blowing from deer to you. More pronounced with body shots.

I sharpen up for the season with a precision air gun. 10 meter distance with little bitty targets are challenging. Plus is that I can do that in the garage, and don't have to fight the range idiots.

I'm bumping eighty. Maybe my observations will help someone a little. Age has changed the way I hunt, but that is another story....

Best wishes,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 12/28/16 02:31 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide