Forums46
Topics538,364
Posts9,736,352
Members87,083
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6537751 11/10/16 08:28 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
I notice THIS, every time I'm in the outdoors!

Psalm 19 (NIV)

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
5 It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
6 It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is deprived of its warmth.

cheers

cheers +1... alot has changed over the years in hunting since started hunting with me Kentucky .45 flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6537752 11/10/16 08:28 PM
R
Redskins4ever Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Very True.................

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6537899 11/10/16 09:54 PM
T
Trust Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Learned to tell hits and misses on when someone else is shooting a deer in or around or lease. When a deer is "gut shot" it sounds like a wet phone hitting the floor.

When it's really, really cold birds will sit in your stand with you if the heater is going.

Don't wear red, yellow or orange in the spring/summer as you'll be a bee magnet.

Texas does have porcupines

Wounded animals will run uphill

It's farther than you think

soakitincider
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Jgraider] #6537958 11/10/16 10:31 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Psalm 19 (NIV)

So very true! up

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Bobbaganoosh] #6539101 11/11/16 04:19 PM
K
Kuddles Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: Bobbaganoosh
When I first started hunting deer, I would always hear deer walking all around me, but could never see them.

It didn't take long to realize that squirrels rustling through the dead leaves on the ground can sound like a herd of deer in the early morning quiet. Them things can be noisy!

This! Still gets me every so often.

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: redchevy] #6539196 11/11/16 05:29 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Relatively quiet sounds travel a very long way on a still morning.

I used to hunt a lease just west of Graford and my stand was 4 miles from Possum Kingdom Lake (according to Google Earth) with all kinds of trees and terrain between us. If there was a very light wind out of the west I could hear boats on the lake.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6566285 11/30/16 11:38 PM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
If your hunting deer near the only watering hole for miles around in bear country,
keep an eye out for thirsty bears coming up behind you on your back trail.

Had that happen to me when a black bear walked up on me and I wasn't paying attention.

Luckily, he was more scared of me than I was of him.

Live Free or Die...
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6566294 11/30/16 11:46 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Take a kid hunting with you. He/She will not forget it, ever!

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6566635 12/01/16 03:28 AM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
if a bee gets in your blind and you kill it, another one will show up shortly afterwards. If you kill him, they will ALL show up in a few minutes. They are pissed when they show up.

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Jgraider] #6566676 12/01/16 03:54 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Psalm 19 (NIV)

AMEN!

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Bobcat4119] #6566684 12/01/16 03:59 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Bobcat4119
I've learned to listen to nature, they will tell you more about what's going on, who's in the woods, and where they are. From the crickets chirping to the birds, and squirrels, they are all communicating and if you listen closely, you will "see" the prey long before it gets to you.

A few years ago I was walking to my bow stand well before the sun come up. It was dark and I wasn't using my flashlight because I was walking down a plowed field about 30 yards off the tree line. There was a thunderstorm several miles out and the lightning would light up the field every now and then. I made it about half way to my stand when 2 hoot owls began cutting up. Thinking nothing of it, I kept walking. The farther I walked the louder and more abnoxious they got. I began to get that creepy feeling that something was watching me but shrugged it off and continued walking. In the next 10 steps these owls were basically screaming and was the craziest thing I'd ever heard so I stopped walking and took a step back because my brain was screaming at me that something was wrong. Then with a slight flash of light from the storm I made out a black siloett about 40 yards down the tree line and the owls and EVERY single living thing in a 3 mile radius went 1000000% silent and every single hair stood on end on my body. Lightning flashed again and this SOB was only 20 yards out coming straight at me in 2-3 seconds. It looked like it was floating across the field as my initial thought process was, deer, coyote, or hog... But as he got within 15 yards my absolute WORST fear was realized, it's a Fu**** CAT and it looks like it is 10' long! I start backing up waving my bow in the air and trying to scream at it but my voice will not work from being so scared. As I start waiving and flailing my arms like a crazy person, it slows down and is litteraly 6-7 yards in front of me. My voice finally cracks and I yell like I aint never yelled before and I take 2-3 steps at him. He stops, takes a step back and make 2 hops and he's back in the woods 40 yards away!!!! I fall to my knees violently shaking and hypervinelating and digging for my light, knife, and anything else I can get my hands on! I gathered my self and the owls relocated back in the woods and hooted a few times as they flew away and the bugs began to chirp again. Like a hero or retard I decided to go on to my stand "prob because it was closer than the truck lol" It took my a solid hour to fully gather myself. A few weeks later I got a pick of the joker sneaking through my pinch point and confirmed my run in. That's been 4 years and I've yet to see him since, "Thank GOD"
But I truly believe the owls saved my life that morning and if I wasn't paying attention, I woulda been a gonner!

Great story! Hope you carry a sidearm with you now

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6566702 12/01/16 04:17 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Wood ducks know the difference between a guy sitting beside a decoy spread and a guy sitting in a tree stand.

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Deerhunter61] #6566752 12/01/16 05:10 AM
E
el_cazador713 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

Psalm 19 (NIV)

AMEN!

AMEN!! texas

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6566851 12/01/16 01:19 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
when there is no noise created by humans, that's when nature is at its best.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6566875 12/01/16 01:44 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
There are things that we outdoors people have learned that most other folks are totally unaware.

For example, the origin of distant sounds, such as trains or highway traffic, can appear to be closer than they really are when the wind is blowing the sound towards you. And likewise, relatively close sounds can appear much more distant when the wind is blowing away from you.

You feel coldest when the temperature begins to warm on those very cold mornings.

One of the reasons it's best to stalk deer with a cross wind than into the wind, especially one that is bedded. Those that have really observed allot of whitetails will know why. In fact this could apply to most animals.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6567210 12/01/16 04:49 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
If you leave a window cracked on a blind an OWL will move in that night!
Peoples voices carry farther than any sound in the woods.
Drive a truck the same color as the rancher, his hands and the oil companies.
There will always be a covey of quail roosting on the trail to your deer stand.

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6567394 12/01/16 07:06 PM
B
BaitFish Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
All the words for "kill"...harvest, lay down, tip over, punch hole in, dirt nap, put to sleep, relieve of life, make dinner, ground check

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6567408 12/01/16 07:17 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Death........... they think mother nature is a scene from Bambi.

[Linked Image]
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6567418 12/01/16 07:30 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Nature prevails. Water and food are uncertainties. You learn a lot real quick about someones character when you are off the map.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: TexasKC] #6567482 12/01/16 08:26 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: TexasKC
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Whether I am hunting or fishing, I pay attention to the cows on the way to the field or the lake. If the cows are feeding, game and fish will be moving and feeding. If the cows are laid up, it will be slow for both.

My dad, a lifelong cattleman always said the same thing. Personally, I think if cattle are laid up it means they have good grass and they're finished grazing for a while. Can't argue with results though. Dad was a great fisherman.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly. Our cows are up and down at least a dozen times in a 24 hr. period. When they are hungry they eat, when they get full (or tired) they lay down. There is no way the deer are doing this also. It so happens that cows are somewhat crepuscular like deer, so it is to be expected that both will feed during that specific time.

Deer 'travel/move' for any number of reasons (and at any time of the day or night) depending upon circumstance. I can tell you for certain (in Deep East Texas) the deer do not take directives from my cows.

Same thing for the old notion that cows will lay down right before a rain (used to forecast rain by some). We've had exactly two rain events here in the last 60 days. Hundreds of events of the cows laying down in the same time period. How do we reconcile that?

BUT....if that method of determining 'peak movement' actually works for anyone, great. Keep at it.

Fish tend to feed and move according to weather conditions, water temperature and available food sources more than anything else. Pretty sure the cows have nothing to do with it.

Last edited by flintknapper; 12/01/16 08:29 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6567571 12/01/16 10:02 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I'd rather hunt (or spay herbicides) on days with a steady breeze. Ican work with that. On those "dead calm" days, a sudden random gust out of nowhere can screw up both.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Outdoor observations of which most folks are unaware [Re: Texas Dan] #6567784 12/02/16 12:57 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
When you're hunting in West Texas in the dark and you hear who's coming up behind you think cattle, horses then deer, not Zebras

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide