Forums46
Topics538,617
Posts9,739,170
Members87,098
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Wink68] #6535859 11/09/16 07:47 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Wink68
Ok this just kills me. Why would you wait until you get to where you are hunting to load your weapon.

Life is all about priorities. While I keep three shells in the magazine, I never chamber one until I am seated and ready to hunt. If I miss a chance shot (which is most often a very low percentage shot anyway) while walking to and from the stand, so what! Safety is a much greater priority to me than killing deer.

By taking the safer route, I help ensure there will be other hunts on other days, not to mention being around for the benefit of my wife and kids.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6536290 11/10/16 12:08 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Thank you for sharing this story, I hope that it might be a reminder to all how easy accidents can happen! I am glad no one was injured.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Texas Dan] #6536363 11/10/16 12:53 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
. . . If I miss a chance shot (which is most often a very low percentage shot anyway) while walking to and from the stand, so what? Safety is a much greater priority to me than killing deer.

^ ^ ^ ^ yes it is. absa-damn-lutely ! ! ! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6536409 11/10/16 01:17 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It's also much easier to have an AD if the safety is off.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6536418 11/10/16 01:18 AM
East Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
this is my safety

rofl

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Texas Dan] #6536890 11/10/16 12:07 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Ok this just kills me. Why would you wait until you get to where you are hunting to load your weapon.

Life is all about priorities. While I keep three shells in the magazine, I never chamber one until I am seated and ready to hunt. If I miss a chance shot (which is most often a very low percentage shot anyway) while walking to and from the stand, so what! Safety is a much greater priority to me than killing deer.

By taking the safer route, I help ensure there will be other hunts on other days, not to mention being around for the benefit of my wife and kids.

Dan this is my mode as well for what its worth. I can chamber a round pretty fast if I need to.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Wink68] #6544874 11/15/16 07:43 PM
B
Bluesea112 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Ok this just kills me. Why would you wait until you get to where you are hunting to load your weapon. I walk 1/4 mile to my blind. I have seen deer between my truck and blind, hogs too. What good is an unloaded rifle in the field. I call it a club.
My son and I park, get our stuff out, load our rifles and start walking. When we go home, reverse that.
Sorry for the hijack.
Oh yeah, I live in a two truck county with no AR's.

I second what ^ he ^ said. My hunt begins the moment I step out of the truck.

Last edited by Bluesea112; 11/15/16 07:45 PM.
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6544955 11/15/16 08:37 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
NO such thing as an accidental discharge unless it was a manufacturing defect like Remington had with some 700's years ago. Everything else is a negligent discharge caused by inattention, excitement, unsafe practices, poorly maintained safeties and triggers, etc.

I NEVER load my rifle until I'm ready to hunt. If I'm spot/stalking or walking and rattling, I may load one in the chamber but the safety is on and the bolt handle is up. And I've trained myself over many years to keep my booger hook extended and out of the trigger guard until I'm ready for the shot. But I hunt out of a stand or a high rack about 90% of the time.

There is absolutely no reason to load a rifle before you are seated in the stand or high rack, EVER. Glad your Dad is ok.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Wink68] #6545041 11/15/16 09:31 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I drive around with a bullet in the chamber safety on. With either a .22 or .30 .30 in a given pickup. I have shot a boat load of coyotes and hogs out checking fence or cows I would say I never could have if I had to stop and load. For raising both cattle and deer, killing coyote and hogs is paramount to me. An unloaded gun is a no brainer but in the hands of experience, and practice I think its just as safe setting idle. Like many said 99.9 percent of ND are just that negligent human error. I have been doing this since I could drive and handling guns since I can remember and never shot by mistake. My father has the exact same record. I handle any gun as if it is loaded anyhow. So what's the difference. If I have a kid around it is a different story until they are old enough to respect and keep their hands off. If I get old and shaky or start making mistakes in other arenas I will stop the practice until then I see no harm in it.

To me walking in the field with a loaded rifle with more than two people could be dangerous but what about quail, dove, and duck hunters? Should they throw shells in right before a flush or flight comes in? Climbing in to a blind I can see when alone how that is good practice to be unloaded but other than that practice good gun safety and treat every gun as loaded.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: ChadTRG42] #6545841 11/16/16 12:13 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
NO No No!!! It's NEVER an AD!!! It's a freakin ND- Negligent Discharge!!!! An accident is an unplanned, by chance event. A firearm going off unintentional is ALWAYS an ND. As working shooting comps and being around firearms, if a gun goes off unplanned, 99.9% of them are from a finger or something touching the trigger causing it to go off when a round is in the chamber. That is the negligence of the shooter/handler of the firearm, which is an ND.

100% correct.
Working in the firearms industry I have seen very few guns that "just go off". It is always operator error.
Remington is the only company that had verifiable non trigger pull discharges. And there were actually very few of those.
One of the most unbelievable things I have seen happen is a guy holding the trigger down while sliding the bolt home. Never gave figured that one out.
I'm glad the OPs dad and everyone else is ok but I wouldn't put the model on here. You will start a pile on thread.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6546128 11/16/16 03:25 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
"Unintended discharge" is the most accurate term for a starting point. Next step in analysis is "why," which comes down to two core options - mechanical failure, operator failure, or a mix of both. Regardless of why or how a UD occurs, always keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction is the responsibility of the person holding it. Always, always remain mindful of where the muzzle is pointed.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: MoBettaHuntR] #6546141 11/16/16 03:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
I drive around with a bullet in the chamber safety on. With either a .22 or .30 .30 in a given pickup. I have shot a boat load of coyotes and hogs out checking fence or cows I would say I never could have if I had to stop and load. For raising both cattle and deer, killing coyote and hogs is paramount to me. An unloaded gun is a no brainer but in the hands of experience, and practice I think its just as safe setting idle. Like many said 99.9 percent of ND are just that negligent human error. I have been doing this since I could drive and handling guns since I can remember and never shot by mistake. My father has the exact same record. I handle any gun as if it is loaded anyhow. So what's the difference. If I have a kid around it is a different story until they are old enough to respect and keep their hands off. If I get old and shaky or start making mistakes in other arenas I will stop the practice until then I see no harm in it.

To me walking in the field with a loaded rifle with more than two people could be dangerous but what about quail, dove, and duck hunters? Should they throw shells in right before a flush or flight comes in? Climbing in to a blind I can see when alone how that is good practice to be unloaded but other than that practice good gun safety and treat every gun as loaded.

I drive around a lot on the ranch with a loaded rifle also but not a bolt action. Single shot encore with extra heavy hammer spring. Never cocked and half time breach is open.

All bolts rifles in my truck have bolt open

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide