Forums46
Topics539,690
Posts9,752,600
Members87,175
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6532481 11/08/16 02:37 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: therancher
In order to kill one of my Arabians I have to prove that I need to replace a bull for genetic diversity or prove that I need to prove I have a certain number of animals and then I can only kill a certain %.

I can live sell any and all of them.

I don't believe they can cross state lines legally either dead or alive.

Isn't that because you are a licensed breeder??

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: ChrisB] #6532519 11/08/16 02:50 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
The "white deer" thread brought up an important subject all hunters need to be aware of.

It is common assumption that unmarked exotics are fair game to kill without restriction in Texas. That isn't true at all if you are talking about animals under the federally administrated CITES program.

For example, if one of my CITES regulated animals got out last spring through a water gap onto my neighbors ranch and he or one of his leasers killed it they would be liable for a felony if they didn't first obtain a CITES permit.

Since there are many areas in Texas that had water gaps wash out this year it would be prudent for hunters to know a tad more than "it's a white exotic" before pulling the trigger on an animal.

Elds deer, Arabian oryx, barashinga, red lechwe, are just some exotics that covered under the program. Most taxidermists and processors will know and ask for the permit if you bring one in. And by then it's wayyyy too late.

Just an FYI.

Why don't you name all species and post some pictures of each if you wish to educate us?

I don't think the intention was there to educate you fully. You can do the rest of the legwork on your own if you choose.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: pegasaurus] #6532534 11/08/16 02:55 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
In order to kill one of my Arabians I have to prove that I need to replace a bull for genetic diversity or prove that I need to prove I have a certain number of animals and then I can only kill a certain %.

If you smoke a cite tag required exotic(w/o required cite tag) and post it on this forum. It will be moved to the law enforcement section. How they handle it is up to them. CITE tag animals (without cite tag)are not something you want in your procession when federal game wardens come knocking

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: pegasaurus] #6532544 11/08/16 03:02 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T

No. I'm not a "licensed breeder" of anything. It is legal to live buy or sell cites animals and keep them on your ranch for breeding purposes without a license. It is NOT legal to kill them without permits (or transport them across state lines) regardless of your relationship to the animal.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: pegasaurus] #6532656 11/08/16 04:04 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I've had this conversation before and people are stuborn. Most I've talked to are in the "I'm not a biologist so if there's an exotic on my place, shame on it" mindset. I tell them their mindset will change when they're slapped with a fine for shooting a CITES animal.

How do you know?
What is the difference in an exotic that escaped a high fence and one that has been living "wild".

The TPWD documents don't seem to differentiate. They only say that as long as the landowner where the animal is present gives permission then it is legal.

What am I missing??

I think its that CITES is an international treaty administered by the Feds not TPW, TPW only addresses whether you have landowner permission if on someone else's property or whether its game animal/feral. CITES addresses whether there's been a census and whether a tag has been issued by the Feds for animals considered endangered/vulnerable. My understanding is that even the landowner who owns the animal commits a felony if he kills the animal without a CITES tag. So the only real answer is to know what the animal is and whether its covered by CITES before you pull the trigger

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: kk66] #6533022 11/08/16 06:52 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: kk66
I've had this conversation before and people are stuborn. Most I've talked to are in the "I'm not a biologist so if there's an exotic on my place, shame on it" mindset. I tell them their mindset will change when they're slapped with a fine for shooting a CITES animal.

How do you know?
What is the difference in an exotic that escaped a high fence and one that has been living "wild".

The TPWD documents don't seem to differentiate. They only say that as long as the landowner where the animal is present gives permission then it is legal.

What am I missing??

I think its that CITES is an international treaty administered by the Feds not TPW, TPW only addresses whether you have landowner permission if on someone else's property or whether its game animal/feral. CITES addresses whether there's been a census and whether a tag has been issued by the Feds for animals considered endangered/vulnerable. My understanding is that even the landowner who owns the animal commits a felony if he kills the animal without a CITES tag. So the only real answer is to know what the animal is and whether its covered by CITES before you pull the trigger

That's mostly true. However, a Texas state game warden is the enforcement wing for fed laws as well. Migratory game bird laws are federal laws but the state GW is the enforcer. No doubt fed GW's can/will enforce as well, but you're more likely to be dealt with by state GW.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6533213 11/08/16 08:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I'd rather deal with tan then green.

Tan= Texas screened and vetted aka like minded(majority)
Green= Who knows but they don't play or cut slack (majority)

Laymens term's

Tan- licenses, cooler(measure smallest fish), life jackets, fire extinguisher, dude please sign back of license, y'all have a good day and be careful
Green- licenses, cooler(measure every fish), life jackets, fire extinguisher, check every compartment in boat, check every shell, check plug, write or threaten ticket for commingling, check boat exhaust to EPA standards, then radio's partner at the dock in plain clothes who then offers you money for your fish or ducks.

I will say NF guys are pretty cool, but them coastie's down south bring a snack you will be there a while

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6533422 11/08/16 10:13 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If I see a stray exotic anything I'm not going to shoot it, fact is I know it belongs to somebody. Several years ago we had two Buffalo Bull's wander on to the ranch. Two phone calls and I found out who the owner was.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: HWY_MAN] #6534744 11/09/16 06:17 AM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
If I see a stray exotic anything I'm not going to shoot it, fact is I know it belongs to somebody. Several years ago we had two Buffalo Bull's wander on to the ranch. Two phone calls and I found out who the owner was.

That is the neighborly thing to do. Wish it was a more common MO.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6536814 11/10/16 05:09 AM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Meh nevermind

Last edited by Grosvenor; 11/10/16 01:07 PM.
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: TexFlip] #6537072 11/10/16 02:07 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

How do you know?

What am I missing??

We aren't talking about ownership or permission. We're talking about shooting a federally protected animal.

rofl this tis a good place for a as pappy say's but i'd get hammer ed for me use of bad english... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6537773 11/10/16 08:36 PM
R
Redskins4ever Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Not knowing the law is not a defense.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6537783 11/10/16 08:43 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Why are they allowed over here then.... kinda dumb

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: Navasot] #6537820 11/10/16 09:02 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Because they've been wiped out in their native lands. Preservation of species could be considered quite noble.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: kdkane1971] #6537822 11/10/16 09:03 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
SQSS

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6537834 11/10/16 09:14 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
A bunch of wildebeests escaped near my land a few years back and I think all of them got smoked.

They on there? In case I catch a straggler or 2?

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: Navasot] #6538520 11/11/16 03:55 AM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Because a market for the animals guarantees their survival. Several species including pere David (reduced to 11 animals at one time), addax, scimitar oryx, Arabian oryx and others are thriving today because American ranchers recognized the value of protecting and raising them. Zoos and preserves don't have the resources to protect genetic diversity, so those animals owe their very survival to the free market.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: cameron00] #6538524 11/11/16 04:00 AM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: cameron00
A bunch of wildebeests escaped near my land a few years back and I think all of them got smoked.

They on there? In case I catch a straggler or 2?

Wildebeest are fair game. Now, there are restrictions on ear tagged animals. But if they aren't marked they're fair game.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: kdkane1971] #6538982 11/11/16 03:21 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Because they've been wiped out in their native lands. Preservation of species could be considered quite noble.

Agree 100% but do it over there... a lot of safe HF places over there... we have our own to worry about

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: Navasot] #6539171 11/11/16 05:13 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Agree 100% but do it over there... a lot of safe HF places over there... we have our own to worry about

What are our endangered species that would be occupying the ranches here that are now being used to save foreign endangered species?

And why would you want to limit business ops for others?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6540335 11/12/16 05:25 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

What are our endangered species that would be occupying the ranches here that are now being used to save foreign endangered species?

And why would you want to limit business ops for others?

Ocelot, Jaguarondi, Louisiana black bear, GC Warbler, Black footed ferret, or are we only talking about things that make money?

My point is why try to save something here that figure out a way to save it there... and concentrate on our own native species need be endangered or not... there is plenty of business in WT deer alone... the only reason there is a business for exotics in mainly because they are allowed over here... which in right is fine I don't knock anyone making a dollar legally but that animal needs to be eliminated if escapes or at least not have this type of punishment for someone OUTSIDE the property shooting one.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: Navasot] #6541020 11/13/16 05:07 AM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
"Ocelot, Jaguarondi, Louisiana black bear, GC Warbler, Black footed ferret, or are we only talking about things that make money?

My point is why try to save something here that figure out a way to save it there... and concentrate on our own native species need be endangered or not... there is plenty of business in WT deer alone... the only reason there is a business for exotics in mainly because they are allowed over here... which in right is fine I don't knock anyone making a dollar legally but that animal needs to be eliminated if escapes or at least not have this type of punishment for someone OUTSIDE the property shooting one."

First, none of the species you mentioned are displaced or harmed by raising the other endangered species for profit. Figure a way to make a profit on our native species and they will be protected by ranchers who want to take a risk for profit.

Second, the same penalties are in place for those species you mentioned if you shoot them after they escape my ranch. IMO it's always better if the hunter knows and respects the laws that protect endangered species. To me, the responsibility should always be on the person pulling the trigger.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: HWY_MAN] #6541138 11/13/16 01:34 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

I agree if the animal can be identified. But some exotics need to be shot. Massive axis populations have taken over the habitat of white tail in some areas. They have year round value to land owners, but as free range, I do not much care for them.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6541190 11/13/16 02:27 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
A lot of something about nothing

yawn

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6541293 11/13/16 04:25 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Fed wardens don't interact or play well with others

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide