Re: Scent free [Re: whitewing maniac] #6522757 11/02/16 02:40 AM
W
whitewing maniac Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
^^^ duly noted^^^^

Guess the little arrows don't mean much on new page.
For txshntr's last post.

Last edited by whitewing maniac; 11/02/16 02:43 AM.
Re: Scent free [Re: whitewing maniac] #6522866 11/02/16 04:16 AM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
After doing work around the ranch I take my t-shirt and tie it to my bow stand. This way they get used to my scent. It is there all the time. This way I don't have to worry about them getting a whiff of something new when I am in the stand.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Scent free [Re: whitewing maniac] #6522902 11/02/16 08:22 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
No you cannot be "scent free", and yes, you should ALWAYS hunt the wind.

But I believe that every little thing you can do can add up to a more favorable situation. For one thing, the wind can change a dozen times in one sit, and surprisingly, deer don't always come from the direction you want them to (upwind).

I also think there may be such a thing as tricking a deer to believe that the danger isn't as close as it actually is, which can give you time. So just maybe, the buck stands an extra five or ten seconds before bolting. That could be the difference in a dead buck, or one you'll never see again. And I've seen it work during my own hunts.

Using products that don't add extra scent and perfumes is a good way to do that. At the end of the day, I don't do any of the carbon suits, ever. But I probably spend less than $20 on scent free products each season. Heck, I spend more than that on corn each week. So, why not?

P.S. When a dog (or a deer) smells your track, it's not smelling you per se, it's smelling the ground molecules you've stirred up by walking. And unless you're Orko, you cannot avoid that. IIRC, that dog "study" had a lot of flaws.

[Linked Image]
Re: Scent free [Re: whitewing maniac] #6523005 11/02/16 12:05 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: whitewing maniac
I see some didn't actually bother to read the OT or just glanced at it.
I buy free and clear ALL laundry soap, fragrance free body soap and unscented deodorant.
Only thing hunting related bought from a hunting company is coverscent spray.

I also use a ladder stand that's strapped to a tree, not gonna be moving it to hunt the wind.

My comment was just my way of screwing around not necessarily with you. I did not mean to be taken seriously. Sorry if I offended, I did read the whole post I do limit my scent as much as possible and rely on the wind.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Scent free [Re: whitewing maniac] #6523121 11/02/16 01:09 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Seriously it a not "human" scent that they are sensitive to. It is any scent that was not there before.
In order to be scared of a "human" scent, they had a specific experience with a human that they can specifically identify as a danger and relate that to a specific smell.
Again that would be a specific scent related to that experience.

No matter how hard we try there will be traces of scent that is foreign to them. Not necessarily a danger scent but something that was not there the last time they were in that area or that changed while they are in the area.

This is why I do what I can to spread as much of my scent around the area I want to hunt. I do this throughout the year. This crates an environment where they have scents that they can get familiar with. I also don't do things that allow them to relate those scents with a bad experience.

For the people that do not have the ability to be out and around the hunting area need to work harder to eliminate, mask, obfuscate the scents they bring into the area. Hunting wind is your best chance but be aware that if the wind is not blowing towards your "shooting area" it is likely going in the direction from which the deer are moving to get into your "shooting area".

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Scent free [Re: Stub] #6523281 11/02/16 02:21 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Stub
I do scent free everything I can, but poop happens a lot of times before you get there.
I break of a branch of a cedar tree and swipe my clothes etc. down before I hunt up

Are you talking about literally pooping on the way to the blind or are you using the coloquialism "poop happens?" grin

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide