Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: Curly] #651911 03/28/09 09:04 AM
R
rater1979 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Wonderful!....I was getting tired of the neighbors killing the younger bucks.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: rater1979] #651912 03/29/09 07:36 AM
C
CMS Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I'm for AR to a point. But does it apply to kids too? A kid should be able to shoot what ever they want.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: CMS] #651913 03/29/09 06:13 PM
T
TCUHUnter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
stupid. Say i have a 5+yo buck that has a 17 in spread, has two points on one side and 4 on the other and if i cull that one out in an AR county than there goes my buck tag... stupid. My dad shot one just like that this year, no brow tines on either side

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: TCUHUnter] #651914 03/29/09 06:29 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Quote:

Man we need to go have a drink 10pointers! I agree with every word you typed and this subject has been talked about over and over. I'll never change my mind that in the long run it's about Texas being a high dollar, trophy only state. Big bucks = big bucks ($). I don't get tired of b*tching about it either. It's my right and for those that like ARs, it's probably because they are trophy hunters, so it doesn't bother them. It's their right to like them. I remember those good old days too. I remember if we did have feeders, they were nothing but corn filled 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. Trail cams were unheard of and if you had a Honda Big Red 3-wheeler, you were the luckiest hunter out there. Waking up in a camper in the back of my pick-up truck and being able to scrape frost off of the walls of the inside of it. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with technology especially the older I get but I do think we are being forced to all be trophy hunters now. Our camp still gets excited when someone harvests any deer but now a days, the buck's gotta damn near be a trophy because the state says so. Oh wait, we can still kill spikes.....so no biggie I reckon. They're good eating!!! Antler restrictions keep us from shooting immature bucks, yet along with those antler restrictions, we could legally kill a yearling spike if we so choose because the state says we can.

Face it, times have changed, just because you can't hunt the way you used to doesn't mean theres anything wrong with the new regs. There were WAY to many people shooting the first thing with antlers they saw, and there is WAY more hunting pressure now, something had to be done. It was really hurting the deer herd in places, I've been there, it really sucks when you see a little yearling 6 point jump to the neighbors side only to hear it get blasted. I totally support the AR and can't wait to see the results, I know they work from friend reports and trail cam picks I get from down south where they first started these regulations. Just curious are you guys who oppose the AR rifle or bow hunters?

Last edited by bossbowman; 03/29/09 06:31 PM.
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: 10pointers] #651915 03/29/09 07:05 PM
T
texfork Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hate AR's, I hate late season, do yall like hunting? Or just trying to start a arguement.

Nope, love deer hunting hate the ARs. You can do both.

+1 I highly disapprove of the AR. What ever happened to the good old days of hunting. I pay to hunt and hopefully harvest big antlered deer but I know of so many other less fortunate hunters (they can not afford leases) that go to field (I let them hunt my small ranches)to harvest a deer of any size or sex. They are the ones that are hurt by this legislation. I personally get a bigger thrill when I hear from a friend who has just succesfully harvested a deer on my place no matter what the size. You cant put a price tag on it. I believe hunting is hunting and the goverment should not tell anyone what size you must shoot. I do not have any problems with them setting bag limits, set them and let the hunter make his choice on what he harvest (trophys are in the eye of the beholder)+ (they are paying for thier License to hunt). I see this state so consumed with making it a super throphy state that they fail to see the roots of hunting anymore. I remember when I first started hunting thier were no feeders (we might buy a bag at the first of the season and just sprinkle a handful out everytime you went out), game cameras, protien, 4wheelers etc... We camped in tents or the back of the truck. We payed a $100.00 for the whole family to hunt. The hunting party always welcomed the harvest, nobody needed permission to shoot. Things to me were a lot funner back then JMO.

Right on the money !

Prayer is the "ultimate" wireless connection .
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: texfork] #651916 03/30/09 02:04 AM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Welcome to the B.S. of A.R.! Some like um and some dont and im the later! We used to see deer all the time and never had a hard time putting meat on the table but never saw any real big bucks and now after 3 wonderfull years of ar rules now im lucky to see a deer, buck or doe! They allowed way to many deer in our county to be killed. We went from one buck and no does to 2 bucks and 2 does and with the small tracks of land out here way to many deer are dying. This is the first year in the 22 years i have been here that i didnt kill a deer and just couldnt justify it with our population.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: jrfan] #651917 03/30/09 04:09 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

Do I understand that Young county is a 2 buck county? If so is that 2 mature bucks, or 1 mature buck and 1 spike?

Your bag limit for bucks within an Antler Restriction county is:

2 bucks, but only 1 MAY have an inside spread of 13" or greater, the other buck MUST have an unbranched antler on one side.

SPECIAL ANTLER RESTRICTIONS:

In these counties, the bag limit is two legal bucks, but only ONE may have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater.

A legal buck deer is defined as having:
-a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND;
-at least one unbranched antler; OR
-an inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater.

To determine if a buck has an inside spread measurement of at least 13 inches, look at the distance from ear-tip to ear-tip on a buck with ears in the alert position (see illustration). The 13-inch or greater inside spread requirement does not apply to any buck that has an unbranched antler.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: CMS] #651918 03/30/09 04:14 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

I'm for AR to a point. But does it apply to kids too? A kid should be able to shoot what ever they want.

It is the same for all ages...it is a regulation set upon all that hunts within Texas in an Antler Restriction county. It would be no different for any of the regulations set for any county, for any species, any bag limit, restriction or rule.

Kinda like seeing a Mule Deer in a county that doesn't have a season, it is illegal to take. Same goes for the youth, they couldn't take it just like the adult hunters.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: TCUHUnter] #651919 03/30/09 04:22 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

stupid. Say i have a 5+yo buck that has a 17 in spread, has two points on one side and 4 on the other and if i cull that one out in an AR county than there goes my buck tag... stupid. My dad shot one just like that this year, no brow tines on either side

You would be taking out a buck that does not have good genetics to spread throughout the herd and you would still have another buck tag for that county...it would have to be for a buck that has an unbranched antler on one side though.
Or you could go to another county with the Antler Restrictions and take another 13" inside spread buck in that county.

The Antler Restrictions does not limit you to your county only that you hunt in, you can go to another county with AR and take a 13" or greather inside spread buck and actually 3 different counties if you choose and still have remaining buck/antlerless tags as long as you do not exceed the bag limit for any county you are hunting in.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: kyotee1] #651920 03/30/09 06:46 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Quote:

...The Antler Restrictions does not limit you to your county only that you hunt in,...

OMG that is a good quote. From a TPWD guy no less.....
All of these "neighbors are shooting my deer"...and...bigger horns..folks SHOULD have heeded this advice and not passed regs on the rest of us !!!

THEY SHOUD HAVE JUST TAKEN THEIR HAPPY @55es to the COUNTY that had the bigger horns

Originally Posted By: WMI report
"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: kyotee1] #651921 03/30/09 07:08 PM
T
TCUHUnter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Quote:

Quote:

You would be taking out a buck that does not have good genetics to spread throughout the herd and you would still have another buck tag for that county...it would have to be for a buck that has an unbranched antler on one side though.
Or you could go to another county with the Antler Restrictions and take another 13" inside spread buck in that county.

The Antler Restrictions does not limit you to your county only that you hunt in, you can go to another county with AR and take a 13" or greather inside spread buck and actually 3 different counties if you choose and still have remaining buck/antlerless tags as long as you do not exceed the bag limit for any county you are hunting in.

Exactly, that is dumb. the county i hunt in use to be a 2 buck county and now is under AR. we have huge deer, several over 150 but at the same time some bad genetics.I am not going to waste my 13in+ buck tag on a cull. these regulations should only be on public land, if at all and should not mess with people on PRIVATE land trying to manage their deer herd

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: PHishTX] #651922 03/30/09 07:33 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

Quote:

...The Antler Restrictions does not limit you to your county only that you hunt in,...

OMG that is a good quote. From a TPWD guy no less

Get the entire quote down correct Phish...

If a hunter hunting in an Antler Restriction county takes their 13" or greater inside spread buck, they are not allowed to take another 13" or greater buck in that county, but may go to another AR county and take a 13" or greater buck. This was a misconception to the statewide buck bag limit we were hearing from many hunters who hunt in more than 1 or 2 AR counties which were wondering if once they shot a 13" or greater buck in their county, that they couldn't take one in another AR county. This was not true or what they were told by other hunters they couldn't do.

We receive the same question on the 1 buck or 2 buck counties that once you take your bucks in those counties, you couldn't take any more bucks in other counties. As long as you do not exceed the bag limit for any county that you are hunting in.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: PHishTX] #651923 03/30/09 07:40 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

Quote:

All of these "neighbors are shooting my deer"

And when did the deer belong to one landowner...the wildlife in Texas belongs to all of the general public/residents of Texas.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: kyotee1] #651924 03/30/09 07:44 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Oh pardon me...

If a hunter wants to shoot bigger antlered deer, (and seems to be having trouble where he currently hunts, due to neighbors shooting his deer, et al), then that hunter can puruse the buck of his dreams in ANY OTHER county in the state. With out imposing Needless restriction on the remainder of the entire hunting community....Without exceeding the limit in that county.

Last edited by PHishTX; 03/30/09 07:45 PM.

"If age structure is deemed to be valuable to management,...What percentage change in age structure or condition does TPWD recognize that it needs to detect in order to trigger a regulatory change?

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: PHishTX] #651925 03/30/09 07:58 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

Oh pardon me...

If a hunter wants to shoot bigger antlered deer, (and seems to be having trouble where he currently hunts, due to neighbors shooting his deer, et al), then that hunter can puruse the buck of his dreams in ANY OTHER county in the state. With out imposing Needless restriction on the remainder of the entire hunting community....Without exceeding the limit in that county.

Talk about putting your own wording where you please which has nothing to do with the regulations but completely take what I said out of context.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: kyotee1] #651926 03/30/09 08:23 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'm not a fan of AR, and wish they would leave the private landowners out of it, but rules are rules. There is always the option of getting on an MLD lease so you don't have to mess with the ARs

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: kyotee1] #651927 03/30/09 08:27 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Oh I think you get the irony....

Quote:

Your EXACT QUOTE

and added "IRONIC" part.

Quote:

The Antler Restrictions does (not) limit you AND ARE UNNECESSARY REGULATION to your county only that you hunt in, you can go to another county without unnecessary AR, THAT HAS BIGGER HORNS OR "OLDER AGE STRUCTURE" and take a TROPHY of your budget or a, 13" or greather inside spread buck and actually 3 different counties if you choose and still have remaining buck/antlerless tags as long as you do not exceed the bag limit for any county you are hunting in.

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: rifleman] #651928 03/30/09 08:30 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Quote:

There is always the option of getting on an MLD lease so you don't have to mess with the ARs

Must not be a good reg if they have to offer an "out" (i.e. like MLD, another one of THEIR programs).!!!!

Last edited by PHishTX; 03/30/09 08:39 PM.

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: PHishTX] #651929 03/30/09 08:48 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
The MLD program is not an offer of an 'out'...it is a program where a landowner may or may not agree to implement more and required management practices on their property to further manage the deer residing on it, primarily within high fenced property, but may also be implemented on low fences too.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: kyotee1] #651930 03/30/09 08:50 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Regardless if you like or dislike the Antler Restrictions, no one regulation is going to be in favor by all...that's with ANY regulation that is approved or not approved. Some will jump for joy, others will hate it and then some don't care one way or another.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: kyotee1] #651931 03/30/09 08:54 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Quote:

The MLD program is not an offer of an 'out'...

HEY YOU TOO THAT OUT OF CONTEXT !!!
I didn't say that is why MLD was created, just that it is there and IS being offered as an "out"!!!

later,

Last edited by PHishTX; 03/30/09 11:10 PM.
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: kyotee1] #651932 03/30/09 08:56 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
I personally didn't know the deer heard structures in Texas were broken enuff to "fix" them through ARs.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: Curly] #651933 03/30/09 09:00 PM
P
PHishTX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
neither did TPWD "professionally"

confused2TPWDconfused2
Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: PHishTX] #651934 03/30/09 10:07 PM
T
Toepuncher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I am in favor of AR's in the counties that I hunt (Nacogdoches, Rusk, Shelby, Houston, and Van Zandt). I view them as the lesser of two evils. Are they perfect? Certainly not. The problems with AR's (for example, the buck that never reaches 13") have been discussed on this forum ad nauseum. But, in my experience, AR's are a big improvement over what we had before. I am seeing many more 14-15" plus bucks than I used to see. I will see at least three to five a year where I used to be lucky to see one every few years. I have read many of the arguments pro and con and agree with some of both. The bottom line for me is that in the area that I primarily hunt, Nacogdoches County, the hunting has improved dramatically with the implementation of AR's. I see plenty of nice deer that survive and am not as concerned as some are that we will ultimately be left with a bunch of fully mature bucks with 10" antlers.

Re: Deer Regulations Prroposals Adopted [Re: Toepuncher] #651935 03/31/09 08:38 PM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I'm still opposed to the AR regardless. I said it before and I'll say it again set a harvest and let the paying (license) hunter choose.

Here is one of the TPWD ill fated moves before. Remember when they had one buck counties. Say I had a 1000 acres and was surrounded by smaller tracts. I shot one buck for the year but the other properties day leased. In turn every body on the day leases slaughtered every buck they saw. Boy that sure helped! Maybe they just should outlaw day leases. Opps i don't mean that! Or maybe I do if we are so worried about the deer herd population.

And I leave yall with this. When the goverment comes in with all these new gun restrictions. I guess you AR lovers will have no problem with that! Big Brother just taken care of us, right!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide