Print Thread
Questions on talking turkey #650490 03/26/09 06:15 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Sorry in advance for being so long winded, but I would appreciate some THF input on this.

I'm brand new to this calling stuff. Bought a vest full of calls, listened to the CDs, watched some of the outdoor shows, but still have some questions. I feel like I'm doing a decent job of making the right sounds, but don't always know what sound to make when. Would appreciate some advice from guys who can really talk turkey.

Love that shaker gobbler, but when do you use it, and can you over use it? I got good distant answering gobbles from it, but quit using it when the tom came in fairly close.

When you are first starting your set, how often do you yelp with the box caller/slate vs quiet listening intervals? I felt like I might be overdoing it.

When you have a gobbler on the line, how often do you call? Again, I worry about over-calling.

Are there techniques to coax that bird in that won't come that last 50 yards? Do they just get wise to you, or what? Does too much calling when they get close make them wary?

I am just OK with the mouth diaphram calls so far (some I can use pretty fair, some don't seem to fit my mouth at all). I see how they could be useful to keep hands free, or to double up yelping with a box or slate, and make it sound like multiple hens. Thoughts?

I know it would be best to spend some time hunting with guys that know, but until then, this forum is my next best option.

Doug

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Scoop] #650491 03/26/09 06:38 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I am in the same boat as you.

I think the gobble call is pretty much just for located a tom and once you get a response and know where he is you go get set up on him.

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: cbump] #650492 03/26/09 08:23 AM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

I think the gobble call is pretty much just for located a tom

Cbump, I can tell you from last week's outing it works great locating Toms on my place. Just wasn't sure if I should put it down right away or phase it out, since I'm using a Tom decoy...

Also bought an owl locator call, but for me it just sounds like a kazoo so it just stays in my vest pocket.

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Scoop] #650493 03/26/09 09:47 AM
T
TrucksNmudd89 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
When I head out into the turkey woods I bring along around four calls two of them are slates and two of them are my best diaphragms. I have used a gobble call before though, while i mainly used these for locating they can be used to bring in some pumped up toms. Mix it up with some soft yelps and you might be able to fool a tom to come in and take over the hens..
On the subject of calling too much... this is a common mistake. I usually use a few series of yelps on a diaphragm to first locate the toms. Over the years I have had alot of gobblers slip away from me.. so your best bet is that if you know the land good enough try and make a stalk on the birds to get them with in 200 yards or so. I have always had better luck when i have been able to see the birds i am calling too. This will help in knowing how much too call and when to call. Just call enough to keep him coming to you.. Try and call less when you see him walking too you and if he turns give him a couple yelps to get him back on track. Another thing you asked about how to get a tom that is not wanting to close the distance into shooting range. Last season I was hunting on my lease out west and on opening morning found a large group of around 20 toms these toms were down on a fence line and i could not call them off of it. So i crept up on the fence line and set up in the direction they were headed by the time they got into range there were toms all around me. Including several jakes under ten yards away it was pretty awesome. I was able to take a big tom out of the group with a 11.5 inch beard and 3 inch spurs. The point of the story is if you know where they are going get there first. Otherwise a couple series of excited cutting and yelping may get them to come in.

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Scoop] #650494 03/26/09 02:38 PM
S
spur Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
1. Shaker- used to locate and can be used to challenge a dominate bird. most over use it
2. Yelp only enough to et them interested unless the other hens in the area are yelping a bunch. If so imitate the hens. You can also challenge hens and they can drag a tom along with them
3.When a gobbler is heading your way shut up and wait, silence can be golden
4.Soft calls, purrs and clucks are good for coaxing a bird in. Turkey noises such as wing flaps and leaves scratching also works well. It can be hard at times to do but try to set up so when you can see the bird he is in range
5. Be proficient with any call you use. I've seen horrible sounding calls kill turkeys but those that sound good will kill turkeys consisitently. I worked with mouth calls for 3 years before I had confidence to use one in the field

Good luck

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: spur] #650495 03/26/09 02:55 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
x2 what spur said but unless your on private land and know who your hunting with i wouldnt use the shaker gobbler call. I have seen em work but to easy to call in another hunter. The biggest thing to remember is if a bird doesnt come in to your calling dont get discouraged cause some days they will run in and the next they couldnt care less and the thing i have learned over the years is just when ya think ya got it all figured out a gobbler will fool ya relize ya still have a lot to learn! GOOD LUCK!

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: TrucksNmudd89] #650496 03/26/09 03:38 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Thanks for the input, guys

Quote:

I have used a gobble call before though, while i mainly used these for locating they can be used to bring in some pumped up toms. Mix it up with some soft yelps and you might be able to fool a tom to come in and take over the hens..

Sounds like I should use it to locate, then maybe try it as a last resort kinda deal on a stubborn bird.

Quote:

On the subject of calling too much... this is a common mistake.

Sounds like I could dial it back a notch or 2

Quote:

your best bet is that if you know the land good enough try and make a stalk on the birds to get them with in 200 yards or so. I have always had better luck when i have been able to see the birds i am calling too. This will help in knowing how much too call and when to call. Just call enough to keep him coming to you.. Try and call less when you see him walking too you and if he turns give him a couple yelps to get him back on track.

May be able to stalk/relocate/adjust my call frequency based on what I am hearing, but my place has really heavy cover, and usually by the time I can see them, they can see me as well. The one I did call in last week was 20 yards off when he broke cover over my left shoulder.

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: spur] #650497 03/26/09 03:53 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

1. Shaker- used to locate and can be used to challenge a dominate bird. most over use it

Guilty as charged on my first outing

Quote:

2. Yelp only enough to et them interested unless the other hens in the area are yelping a bunch. If so imitate the hens. You can also challenge hens and they can drag a tom along with them

Funny you should say that. Last week I did have 2 groups of hens chat with me on one set. I listened and mimmicked them better, and I think that helped a lot. They sounded throatier/raspier than my calls which were a bit more shrill/squeeky. No hens came in though

Quote:

3.When a gobbler is heading your way shut up and wait, silence can be golden
4.Soft calls, purrs and clucks are good for coaxing a bird in. Turkey noises such as wing flaps and leaves scratching also works well.

The soft calls I think I can handle, but never thought of the wing/rustling noises. How do you make those short of taking a wing with you?

Quote:

5. Be proficient with any call you use. I've seen horrible sounding calls kill turkeys but those that sound good will kill turkeys consisitently. I worked with mouth calls for 3 years before I had confidence to use one in the field

I hear ya. I am still working on the mouth calls (the wife loves that racket). Only tried a few last week cuz I am not yet ready for prime time. Most comfortable with the box call and slate.

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Hoytman] #650498 03/26/09 04:02 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

unless your on private land and know who your hunting with i wouldnt use the shaker gobbler call. I have seen em work but to easy to call in another hunter.

No problem there. Lucky enough to have my own place. I do have some other hunters on the place (my bunkhouse gang) but if more than one of us is in the field, we divide up territories so it stays safe, and nobody ruins somebody else's hunt.

Quote:

The biggest thing to remember is if a bird doesnt come in to your calling dont get discouraged cause some days they will run in and the next they couldnt care less and the thing i have learned over the years is just when ya think ya got it all figured out a gobbler will fool ya relize ya still have a lot to learn! GOOD LUCK!

Yeah, I had some of each case last week, just trying to learn what's my fault, and what is just turkey hunting.

Thanks to all for the good info so far...

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Scoop] #650499 03/26/09 04:16 PM
S
spur Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Scoop
1. You can flap a hat against your chest or in the air. As for me , I carry an old wing on every hunt. I've killed old call shy birds just imitating a hen flying down and never making a call. Ever notice how turkeys stretch their wings during the day, just a couple of flaps??? Deadly. Ever hear their wing tips tickling the branches just before flydown. Deadly.

2. Remember different cut calls will produce raspy or pure turkey sounds. Generally speaking the raspier calls aren't for berinners but it doesn't hurt to try. You can also get raspy sounds out of a slate by trying different strikers and holding the striker at slightly different angles. Soft calls hold the striker low to the slate, more loud and aggressive calls hold it higher. I like slate over glass for a raspy pot call.

Good luck

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: TrucksNmudd89] #650500 03/26/09 04:19 PM
T
txag02 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Quote:

I was able to take a big tom out of the group with a 11.5 inch beard and 3 inch spurs.

Three inch spurs? Come on now..

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: spur] #650501 03/26/09 04:42 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

1. You can flap a hat against your chest or in the air. As for me , I carry an old wing on every hunt.

I was wondering if the petrified wing bit would work. That was my first thought when you mentioned wing noises but wasn't sure if that was way off base

Quote:

2. Remember different cut calls will produce raspy or pure turkey sounds. Generally speaking the raspier calls aren't for berinners but it doesn't hurt to try.

by cut calls I assume you mean mouth calls? If so, I found that out. The basic ones seem to work for me, but rasping/purring... forget about it..

Quote:

I like slate over glass for a raspy pot call.

I bought a glass call first and the only sound I could get from it was cussing noises... oh wait, that was me... Then I bought the Little Giant green slate call and had much better luck.

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Scoop] #650502 03/26/09 04:52 PM
S
spur Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I own over 100 of pot calls and this is my favorite. Affordable and makes great turkey sounds.
Cane creek pro custom slate
http://canecreekcalls.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=12
I don't work for the guy or anything like that. He makes good reliable products.

PS: Been at this game for 25 years and still prefer to use a slate for purrs and fighting purrs which is great call in TX early season

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: spur] #650503 03/26/09 04:53 PM
S
spur Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
txag02
I was wondering the same thing! Would like to see a pic of those bad boys. My best is 1.75"

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: spur] #650504 03/26/09 05:09 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

I own over 100 of pot calls and this is my favorite. Affordable and makes great turkey sounds.
Cane creek pro custom slate
http://canecreekcalls.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=12

Spur, I went to the link, and watched the product demo video. That was the best how-to I've seen on a slate call. Thanks for sending me that way.

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Scoop] #650505 03/26/09 05:30 PM
S
spur Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: txag02] #650506 03/26/09 08:08 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Quote:

Quote:

I was able to take a big tom out of the group with a 11.5 inch beard and 3 inch spurs.

HEH HEH.... I WAS GONNA CALL HIM ON 3" SPURS ALSO....
I'd at least like to see some pictures...

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #650507 03/26/09 08:14 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Get Cody on here...he breaks an ink pen and call em in with that. True story saw it with my own eyes!!

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Scoop] #650508 03/26/09 08:45 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
About the only call I have in my arsenal is the yelp, but I always get (or could get) my 4 birds each year.

Besides setting up near a roost in a.m. and p.m.
I walk and call, when I get a gobble I find a place and sit down. I usually let the tom gobble again then I answer him, as long as he keeps comming my way I let him gobble twice and then I answer him. when he gets close I just sit tight and let him come find me, if he wanders around out of range I give him a purr when he setps behind a bush. (ok I guess I have 2 calls)

But listen to the experts I'm sure turkey hunting is much more exciting the way they do it.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #650509 03/26/09 09:48 PM
E
Ed Lingenfelter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Really three inch spurs of course he was riding a horse and roping cows

HEH HEH.... I WAS GONNA CALL HIM ON 3" SPURS ALSO....
I'd at least like to see some pictures...

Old Soldier
Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Ed Lingenfelter] #650510 03/27/09 09:24 AM
T
TrucksNmudd89 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
HaHa OK i might have pushed the story a little to far probably about a inch shorter but still... He was the biggest tom by far and whats a hunting story without a little exaggeration..

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: TrucksNmudd89] #650511 03/27/09 09:11 PM
T
txag02 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Agreed.

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: txag02] #650512 03/31/09 05:25 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Welcome to turkey hunting.

Remember that it is a creature with a bird brain we are up against when trying to get a gobbler into range, They are not that smart (why else would one walk up and down a fence for an hour before remembering it can fly over) but they are very wary creatures that many critters including us like to eat and the birds do know that.

Spur and others have given some good advice in this thread. As I have enjoyed turkey hunting for 29 years, in Mississippi, Alabama and Texas I do have a little experience on the subject. I have used many things to call in turkeys some just to see if could do it. leaves, broken ink pens, the straw from pushup ice cream product, wing bone calls, slate, diaphragms, box, strikerbox... and natural voice. A lot of what works depends on the turkey. Those that have been called in and shot at before are going to be tougher to get into a gun than those that have not been messed with.

How much to call and when is always a good question without a cut and dried answer. I have called in birds with just 3 yelps, or just a few clucks that were hard hunted birds in Mississippi during late season. Other times I have used many calls to tick off the boss hen to get a flock in my area so the Gobbler would follow. That is part of the fun of this sport. You can usually get away with a lot more calling if the gobbler is also being very vocal. Something I do is if a gobbler is not being very vocal I do not call much. If a gobbler is very vocal I will have a lot of fun and call a lot enjoying listening to him.

Old man that taught me a lot about turkey hunting in Mississippi believed that once you get a gobbler to answer you lay the call down and wait. It might take a few hours before he shows up but quite often he will with no further calling. He always got his turkeys every year.

As for locator calls I prefer Owl early and crow later in the day.

As with any hunting woodsmanship plays a large part of calling in birds consistently. Remember if you are between where they are and where they want to go it is a lot easier to call in a bird, and if there is an obstacle between you and the bird fence/creek etc. it might not want to cross it.

The worst sounding calls I have ever heard in the woods were from a live hen.

Just remember have fun and enjoy the great outdoors.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: kmon11] #650513 03/31/09 05:39 PM
S
Scoop Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Kmon1, you bring up a point I was wondering about. Why does a crow call work as a locator. I imagine an owl is viewed as a threat on the roost, but a crow? just wondering....

I mentioned above having an owl call, but when I use it it sounds nothing like an owl.... maybe its me.... maybe I just bought a crappy call. eventually I need to hunt with someone in the know to see the real deal on stuff like that.

Re: Questions on talking turkey [Re: Scoop] #650514 03/31/09 08:54 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Juat about any loud niose can get a turkey to shock gobble which is enough to locate one. Teh more natural the sound the better. Crows are all over teh place and turkey will often respond to it durning the day. Other things I have heard shock gobbles from, Coyote howls, trains, truck horns, gun shots...

As for an owl call. I guess I am lucky there. I just use my voice. Tried to enter the Texas State Turkey calling contest one year and got there late to enter but they did let me in the locator contest and I won it without a call. No I do not think I would have won the turkey calling contest but probally would have been second that year.

As to owl calls I have tried a few long ago and know what you mean. Those were easy to overblow and not very loud but if within a couple hundred yards of a turkey you do not have to be loud to get a response some of the time.

Primos makes a good crow call that is easy to use and calling in crows to the gun is also fun sometimes.

Last edited by kmon1; 03/31/09 08:56 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide