Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Working out [Re: HWY_MAN] #6403454 08/11/16 02:33 PM
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
I'm kind of laughing at this thread and wondering about 2 things. What the hell are you guy's caring with you and is this an athletic meet your preparing for or a hunt. Here's a few thing's I learned that make elk hunting more enjoyable. Horses are your friend, if you don't have them then find somebody in that area that can provide them, your hunting in 4 legged country!

Slow down! I've seen folks hit the mountains in great shape thinking it's a foot race and get gassed in the first 500 ft of elevation change. Only carry what you absolutely need with the top priority being making a fire if needed, enough food for a day and water. Since water is nearly always available in the mountains I keep that to a minimum, it's heavy and drags you down.

My old Pop probably logged more elk hunting time than anybody I know and his gear bag probably weighed less than 5 lbs with allot of that weight being that WWII bag he had it in. His rifle weighed 9 lbs with a scope and he carried a box of ammo. He carried a knife, small axe, mirror, compass, matches, 1 inch blocks of paraffin wrapped in wax paper and about 20ft of parachute cord, small flashlight with extra batteries. He also carried a small 8 power monocular in his shirt pocket and a 3 bladed knife in his pant's pocket. He fed 5 kid's very well and kept the meat locker full at all times.

Well thats great if you have access to horses. Most people don't. Horses are a pain in the butt too, i remember one year the people camped next to us lost one of theirs and spent the remainder of their elk hunt tramping around the mountain trying to find it. Personally id rather just walk, you couldn't pay me to bring a horse.

And as far as the weight, i was referring to humping your elk meat off the mountain. We carry the quarters in backpacks and hike it out.

Last edited by deftsound; 08/11/16 02:37 PM.
Re: Working out [Re: ] #6403608 08/11/16 04:38 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: deftsound
I'm kind of laughing at this thread and wondering about 2 things. What the hell are you guy's caring with you and is this an athletic meet your preparing for or a hunt. Here's a few thing's I learned that make elk hunting more enjoyable. Horses are your friend, if you don't have them then find somebody in that area that can provide them, your hunting in 4 legged country!

Slow down! I've seen folks hit the mountains in great shape thinking it's a foot race and get gassed in the first 500 ft of elevation change. Only carry what you absolutely need with the top priority being making a fire if needed, enough food for a day and water. Since water is nearly always available in the mountains I keep that to a minimum, it's heavy and drags you down.

My old Pop probably logged more elk hunting time than anybody I know and his gear bag probably weighed less than 5 lbs with allot of that weight being that WWII bag he had it in. His rifle weighed 9 lbs with a scope and he carried a box of ammo. He carried a knife, small axe, mirror, compass, matches, 1 inch blocks of paraffin wrapped in wax paper and about 20ft of parachute cord, small flashlight with extra batteries. He also carried a small 8 power monocular in his shirt pocket and a 3 bladed knife in his pant's pocket. He fed 5 kid's very well and kept the meat locker full at all times.

Well thats great if you have access to horses. Most people don't. Horses are a pain in the butt too, i remember one year the people camped next to us lost one of theirs and spent the remainder of their elk hunt tramping around the mountain trying to find it. Personally id rather just walk, you couldn't pay me to bring a horse.

And as far as the weight, i was referring to humping your elk meat off the mountain. We carry the quarters in backpacks and hike it out.

I do not know of a place in elk country where you couldn't make arrangements to bring horses into camp for your hunt. Not only did my father in-law outfit for elk he also provided horses for those that didn't have them and even sent guys in just to pack out an elk. The quicker you can get that meat off the mountain the better it will be for both you and the meat. I've had far more headaches from hunters than I ever had from a horse.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Working out [Re: Txslobberknocker] #6403625 08/11/16 04:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Both horses and hunters suck at times

They have guys that will pack your meat out on horseback for a fee

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Working out [Re: Txslobberknocker] #6403636 08/11/16 05:05 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
The most important thing you can get is get there two days ahead of the hunt and get acclimated to the higher elevation by taking it easy and drinking lots of water.

Bicycle rides of 15 miles a day pushing for as high a gear as possible work great for me and don't beat up my feet and knees.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Working out [Re: HWY_MAN] #6404942 08/12/16 02:47 PM
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: deftsound

I do not know of a place in elk country where you couldn't make arrangements to bring horses into camp for your hunt. Not only did my father in-law outfit for elk he also provided horses for those that didn't have them and even sent guys in just to pack out an elk. The quicker you can get that meat off the mountain the better it will be for both you and the meat. I've had far more headaches from hunters than I ever had from a horse.

I dont either? You can bring horses wherever you want as far as i know. Well in that case id sure like to meet your father in law! In my experience the outfitters don't like us too much because we're not paying them to hunt.

Re: Working out [Re: ] #6405096 08/12/16 03:54 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Some Louisiana friends had horses down the road a ways, and they were willing to pack out an elk for us, if we got one. They left in Friday at noon, and I killed my elk at 5. Three men made two trips healing my elk back to camp. Go elk hunting in good physical condition.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Working out [Re: Txslobberknocker] #6408613 08/15/16 11:51 AM
G
gary75758 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Been on quite a few hunting trips in the mountains over the years with fellows across all levels of fitness and learned that you don't have to be in best physical shape to hunt/harvest an animal but if you truly want to enjoy a sunset or sunrise and take in all the wonders the trip has to offer then you need to be in best physical condition possible, there so much more to experience than just the harvest.. texas

Last edited by gary75758; 08/15/16 11:52 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide