Print Thread
Hunting License Needed for Hogs? #622960 03/03/09 10:50 PM
T
Trele6 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Do you need the basic hunting license to kill hogs? If no, i guess how would a game warden believe you that you werent hunting deer per se.

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: Trele6] #622961 03/03/09 10:54 PM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
u need a hunting license. But if u are the landowner, or something like that, i think u can get away with it. but for just regular hunters, u need a license

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: Closed Traverse] #622962 03/03/09 11:00 PM
M
mossberg man Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
texas yes

oklahoma no

she said ,why does that ammo have pretty green tips on it? the guy said its the eco-friendy ammo.
Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: Closed Traverse] #622963 03/03/09 11:48 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

u need a hunting license. But if u are the landowner, or something like that, i think u can get away with it. but for just regular hunters, u need a license

The only way a landowner can take feral hogs without a valid license is if the hogs are depredating...if they are hunting them, everyone requires a hunting license regardless of age or the species (frog, turtle, snake, animal or bird) they are hunting in Texas.

Better be careful how you answer a question, because no one should 'try or attempt' to get away with anything. It has landed quite a few with citations and more than a few with jail sentences.

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: Closed Traverse] #622964 03/03/09 11:49 PM
F
furdown Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
if your a landowner you have to have proof that they are tearing up land crops ect. to be able to not have a liscense.
you also have to have a basic liscense to hunt any animal in texas unless the above applies

�There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never cared for anything else thereafter.�- Ernest Hemingway

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: kyotee1] #622965 03/04/09 01:01 AM
C
camolee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Ok, maybe I need a little education (wouldn't be the first time!). Where in any hunting regulation does it call out the need for a hunting license to kill pigs? I know game wardens watch this forum and I think Kyotee1 is a TPWD Warden. I have always been under the impression that pigs didn't require any sort of hunting license. Now having asked the question, I will state that I carry a super combo (and have for many years) along with a trappers license.....and I only hunt my own property. CamoLee

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: camolee] #622966 03/04/09 01:15 AM
C
camolee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
My farm is under Wildlife Management Plan with the TPWD, in that plan... the TPWD Biologist wrote directions to me in my WMP (the land owner) to kill every pig I see, he didn't write to only kill the ones doing damage... but everyone I see. His exact words were to kill them all, eat what I want, and leave the rest for the yotes (and when they came in... shoot them too). At that time, I asked if a hunting license was needed for hogs... I could have sworn he said "no". But like I said, I might need an education.... and I am willing to learn.
CamoLee

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: camolee] #622967 03/04/09 01:24 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
i got it ... the land owner or the landowners agent can take feral hogs if they are causing damage to crops etc. without buying a hunting license .... I also believe this is how it works for koons and opposums too.

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: kyotee1] #622968 03/04/09 01:29 AM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Quote:

Quote:

The only way a landowner can take feral hogs without a valid license is if the hogs are depredating...if they are hunting them, everyone requires a hunting license regardless of age or the species (frog, turtle, snake, animal or bird) they are hunting in Texas.

Better be careful how you answer a question, because no one should 'try or attempt' to get away with anything. It has landed quite a few with citations and more than a few with jail sentences.

I think it could be argued they are always depredating....

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: rstewlandman] #622969 03/04/09 01:31 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
ya i would agree witht that argument completely rstewlandman, and i think most game wardens also would.

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: camolee] #622970 03/06/09 12:25 AM
T
Trele6 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
This is what i heard also, but wanted to get clarification. Figured someone on this board would know for sure.

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: Trele6] #622971 03/06/09 01:14 AM
S
Scoutdog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
From TPW website:

A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license). No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes (see below). Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Youth Hunting License (Type 169).

Exceptions: a hunting license is not required to hunt the following:

Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land.
Fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license or if the fur-bearing animals are causing depredation.
Note: All laws and regulations governing hunter education still apply.

Link

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: Scoutdog] #622972 03/06/09 01:18 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
yep i remember reading that also scoutdog^^

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: Closed Traverse] #622973 03/06/09 01:40 AM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Camo - since you have a WMP and one of the Wildlife Habitat Management Practices that you can implement is Predator Control, feral hogs, fire ants, coyotes, bobcats, coons, skunks, opossums, fox, feral cats are all predators that need control under the WMP or if you have one for a Wildlife Exemption.

If you are a individual that has been invited to a piece of property to come and hunt feral hogs or are going on a hunt, you will require a hunting license.

If the property has a planted crop (hay, vegetables, fruit, nuts), hay pasture, livestock and feral hogs or coyotes are depredating/destroying those, then the landowner, his/her agent or lessee does not require to have a hunting license, but only them.

If any of them invite a friend, co-worker, someone that would like to shoot some hogs, they would require to have a hunting license.

Hope this helps out.

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: kyotee1] #622974 03/06/09 02:26 AM
C
Closed Traverse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
kyotee u seem to be very knowledgable, now this is totally hypothetically because i always buy my license,but would i be considered an "agent" since i do most of the work, on my grandpas land?? and i do shoot hogs,koons, opposums etc. that are depradating our land, hay fields, feeder etc.?

Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: Closed Traverse] #622975 03/06/09 03:52 AM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I'm sure you would be "considered" one, but if the game warden came up, you'd need "proof"

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: d.g.ruff] #622976 03/06/09 04:16 AM
T
txhuntingguide Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
When in doubt buy a license and no worries. I always buy the Super Combo but, I think license are $25 or $32 something like that. Most of my guy's are from out of state and it is $45 for 5 days for non game animals. I have bought buddies of mine many hunting license trying to thin hogs on our places down thru the years. Not worth taking the time to explain to a Warden when you can give him a piece of paper and be down the road and huntin in no time.

Life is a Highway. Don't take the wrong road twice. Take your time and enjoy it. Teach, love and support your family.
Hoyt Spyder Turbo
Gold Tip Velocities
HHA single pin, Ultra Rest
100 gr. Grim Reapers
Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: txhuntingguide] #622977 03/06/09 01:44 PM
H
HMK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Yes, buy a license. You need a license for just about any activity you can think of. Pretty soon, you will need to get a permit to wipe your own can, I think you need one now if you want to wipe someone else's. LOL!

back when we used to eat housecats we marinated them in louisiana hot sauce and soy sauce then season them with lemon pepper........then onto the grill slow cooking them 3 hours........excellent folded in tortillas and pico de gallo----Newgulf
Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: Closed Traverse] #622978 03/06/09 04:55 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

kyotee u seem to be very knowledgable, now this is totally hypothetically because i always buy my license,but would i be considered an "agent" since i do most of the work, on my grandpas land?? and i do shoot hogs,koons, opposums etc. that are depradating our land, hay fields, feeder etc.?

I work for TPWD and stay up on the regulations and restrictions since we receive emails, phone calls and in-person questions pertaining to all of our natural resources (wildlife, fisheries, waters both public & private, etc.) so that accurate information is given to anyone who calls with a question.

When you say depredating on feeders and lands, what are the species doing and what feeders are they depredating on?

Last edited by kyotee1; 03/06/09 08:55 PM.
Re: Hunting License Needed for Hogs? [Re: HMK] #622979 03/06/09 05:07 PM
Big Orn Offline
great white gorilla
great white gorilla
Quote:

Yes, buy a license. You need a license for just about any activity you can think of. Pretty soon, you will need to get a permit to wipe your own can, I think you need one now if you want to wipe someone else's. LOL!

It's not that big of a deal. For every law-abiding hunter in some counties, there's a poacher.

No comment on the can...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide