Print Thread
Night time rig? #61985 04/05/06 10:43 PM
M
MarkE Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
I was wondering…. you guys that hunt out of high racks in the back of the pickup for varmints at night, do you have sides on these things? I have used high racks in my truck before and it seemed like we were sky-lighted. Coyotes would come in upwind around 100 yards and just turn around and leave. I know they were seeing us. I have even had cats come in, see us from a distance and leave. I didn’t have this problem before, hunting without a rack in the back of the truck.
For you guys that use these racks, do you have sides on these things or are they just wide open. It seems that there should be some type of camo netting on at least two sides or plywood on at least two sides to keep from being sky-lighted.
Check out this link, the vehicles in the background have wide-open racks (only pics I could find); what is the secret to being successful with these?
http://www.texasvarminthunter.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=84

Re: Night time rig? [Re: MarkE] #61986 04/08/06 01:15 AM
S
smokepole Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
i have a friend who's bronco has a camo skirting on it and it works really good for daytime hunting but my opinion for night-time hunting it's not that important as long as it's not too bright out. the other rig we also hunt out of has removable sides made of camo tin, this is nice to have to break the wind when it's chilly out and we always have wind where we hunt. http://texasvarminthunter.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=50
these are what we hunt out of, i hope it's true that animals are colored blind.

Last edited by smokepole; 04/08/06 01:17 AM.

how much is too much when you don't have enough? hmmm????
Re: Night time rig? [Re: smokepole] #61987 04/08/06 12:59 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If they wind you, it doesn't matter what kind of setup you have. You have to keep that spotlight on them and they should not be able to see you. The pro's out there all use open high racks. They get winded also cause you are using roads so you cannot always get downwind depending where the road and wind are for the setup.

Re: Night time rig? [Re: Txduckman] #61988 04/08/06 11:56 PM
M
MarkE Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Yeah, I realize the wind direction is key to predator hunting anytime. I've called up hundreds of predators over the past few years. I just have not done very good using an open rack rig, with no moon (exept for gray fox). You said you have to keep the light on them, I'm assuming you don't use a red lens? I have never used anything but a red lens. Most coyotes I hit with a white light take off; except for bobcats, they don't seem to be spooked by a white light. Maybe I'll try calling without a red lens some time next week.
Nice rig smokpole.

Re: Night time rig? [Re: MarkE] #61989 04/11/06 01:29 PM
J
Jeff Thomason Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Hey Mark, I have used just about every type of rack I can think of for night hunting. I dont think I noticed much of a difference. Are you keeping your light on the whole time? Once you spot one coming in, never take the light off of it. It is like somebody else said, once the light is on them, they cant see what is behind it. Another good tip is to scan the light pretty fast. That gives them less of a chance of seeing you first. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Re: Night time rig? [Re: Jeff Thomason] #61990 04/17/06 07:07 PM
S
smokepole Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I agree with the red light issue, but still the key is to not burn their retnas out even with a red lens. hold the light above the animal so that all your using is the haylo of the light espesially when they are still approaching the call.

Re: Night time rig? [Re: smokepole] #61991 04/17/06 07:31 PM
M
MarkE Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
I thought that they could not see the red light at all?
I have called coyotes within a few yards on many occasions with the red light on them form the back of the truck (without a high rack) or on the ground with the light right on them the whole time. But, I found that even on a moon-less night, in many areas (lit up somewhat by stars or house lights from the distance, ect.) I can stand about fifty yards away from the truck and I can see the silhouette of a person moving around in the top. I know that if I can see this, the coyotes can see us ten times better. Don't you occasionally get busted by being seen in a high rack? It is very frustrating to call, have a coyote coming in hard, and as soon as he clears the brush sees you; even on a moon-less night and favorable wind.
I got both of the Predator in Pursuit videos (which a great by the way), and most of the animals are shot in a white light. I could not believe coyotes came in with a white light right in they're eyes. I can have a coyote at 200 yds., hit him with a white light, and he leaves immediately!

That is another question. Who else does not use a red lens and are you successful with a regular white spot light?

Re: Night time rig? [Re: MarkE] #61992 04/18/06 01:17 AM
J
Jeff Thomason Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Hey Mark, Next time you go out, stand about 100 yards from the truck and have your partner shine the light on you. You will not be able to see the truck. As far as color goes, The more I hunt the less of an issue I think it is. I think it is more the intensity of the light. That is the purpose of red, it just dims it alot. They still see a light, just not as bright.

Re: Night time rig? [Re: Jeff Thomason] #61993 04/18/06 04:09 PM
S
smokepole Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
it may be that the places we hunt around abilene(100 mile radius) that these animals get called too much. i know of places where we are not the only ones using the property. this is sometimes frustrating because animals become call and light shy. that's why the haylo of the light works better in my opinion.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide