Forums46
Topics538,313
Posts9,735,698
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: TFF Caribou] #6173079 02/07/16 08:02 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: NMGW
Ruger security six. Cleaned it while my Dad was off visiting Grandpa, and afterward put what I thought was 6 empties in it to dry fire. Unfortunately one was a wadcutter eeks333 Shot a hole in the living room wall that blew out the plaster on the outside of the house. Scared Mom's cannery so bad all its feathers fell out and it died a week later. As for me, lets just say deer season was a real bummer that year, cause Dad would look at me right before he shot 2 big muley bucks and say "remember the wall". That would have been my first year to hunt mule deer. Never forgot that lesson. Learned me to be VERY careful. up

Mine was also with a Security Six. It happened 35 years ago. I thought I had dumped all the rounds out. One stuck in the cylinder and I shot out my TV while watching Hill Street Blues. The TV stopped the bullet. My dad ran into the room and saw that I hadn't shot myself. He then looked at the TV and asked, "did you hit what you were aiming at?" I was 16 and have been a firearms safety fanatic ever since. It was a stupid, stupid mistake.

Yep. It totally changes your outlook in safety. It has for me.

Without a doubt.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6173514 02/08/16 01:22 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Must have been about 16 when I shot out a lantern when camping in the woods before the opening day of squirrel season.

You never forget an accidental or negligent discharge with a firearm. And in many if not most cases, they involve a firearm that was loaded when there was no reason for it. It really depends on whether you're someone who is more focused on keeping you guns loaded, or someone who is more attentive on them being unloaded when not in use. The old question "Why was it loaded?" is often heard after it happens.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6174309 02/08/16 04:54 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
When I was a kid, the first time I got to go dove hunting with a real shotgun, I used a Stevens single shot 20 gauge. I was letting the hammer down and it slipped and went off. Luckily I had the firearm pointed away from anything, but I can remember my dad scolding me and telling me if there was a person on the hillside where he gun was pointed, I would have killed them. Eversince then, I have been super cautious on where the muzzle was pointed and take extra care decocking a hammer. My dad recently gave me a Winchester 1897 and he said everyone in the family has dropped the hammer on that thing at least once. The serrations on the hammer are worn almost completely off since 1908.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6174658 02/08/16 08:17 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Only one I had was a broken transfer bar on a Savage 99 (at least that's the the gunsmith said). I worked the action and the gun fired. No one was injured except the tailgate of my cousin's pickup.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6174935 02/08/16 11:09 PM
Nighteagle Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
never had an ad, but ive made a few VERY stupid mistakes. worst of em was i was at a long range class out a a local place, and we were moving locations. they were hurrying us and somehow i left a bullet in the chamber. i got to new local pulled rifle out and checked it (opened the bolt and checked it out of habbit) and out flew a freakin round. i beat myself up pretty baddly about that one.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6175041 02/09/16 12:12 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I think that would unforgettable. Either that's wrong or it has never happened to me.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6175762 02/09/16 03:44 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Yep, my one and only was the result of the old 700 trigger problem. I actually had a hang fire - pulled the trigger and nothing happened. No click, just nothing. Took my finger out of the trigger guard, turned the rifle slightly to make sure the safety was all the way off, and BOOM! When I cycled the bolt I got a slam fire on the next round. No danger to anyone since I was alone in the woods with a nice 10 point at the time.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6175782 02/09/16 03:55 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
My one is still edged deeply in my mind and each time I go into the woods...

I was about 14 and was hunting a ridge with my father. I loaded the gun when we got set up on a ridge watching a draw. There was alot of movement early that morning but the last 2 hours, the deer had pretty much all already passed through or laid up. I picked up the gun and was "practicing" holding my cross hairs on things out of boredom. First a cactus, then a bush, then a tree...well, found a fork in the tree and wanted to try to hold it steady on the fork. Then decided to ease the trigger down to see if the crosshairs moved...they didn't until the gun went boom. Scared the crap out of me. I had forgot to engage the safety after bolting it.

After the shot, I put the gun on safety and just slowly put the gun back down. We sat there for what seemed like eternity while I waited to get my lecture. It was probably 10-15 minutes later and Dad looked at me and said, "well, did you hit it?". I answered "yes sir". We sat for about 5 more minutes and he said "well, don't think much will be moving after that. You ready to go?"..."yes sir".

Later that night he asked me about it. We had a short discussion and he made his point. Pretty sure he knew how terrified I was and that the shock of it made an impact. To this day, my finger is constantly checking the safety over and over when a gun is in my hand.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6175995 02/09/16 05:38 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I never had one, but I came close to causing one right in my gut, then it occurred to me "WTF are you doing stupid?" and I cut out what I was doing. So stupid, I was basically starting to use my belly as a third hand to rack my slide. I can't believe I'm admitting it.

Last edited by Gravytrain; 02/09/16 05:41 PM.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: txshntr] #6176205 02/09/16 07:44 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: txshntr
My one is still edged deeply in my mind and each time I go into the woods...

I was about 14 and was hunting a ridge with my father. I loaded the gun when we got set up on a ridge watching a draw. There was alot of movement early that morning but the last 2 hours, the deer had pretty much all already passed through or laid up. I picked up the gun and was "practicing" holding my cross hairs on things out of boredom. First a cactus, then a bush, then a tree...well, found a fork in the tree and wanted to try to hold it steady on the fork. Then decided to ease the trigger down to see if the crosshairs moved...they didn't until the gun went boom. Scared the crap out of me. I had forgot to engage the safety after bolting it.

After the shot, I put the gun on safety and just slowly put the gun back down. We sat there for what seemed like eternity while I waited to get my lecture. It was probably 10-15 minutes later and Dad looked at me and said, "well, did you hit it?". I answered "yes sir". We sat for about 5 more minutes and he said "well, don't think much will be moving after that. You ready to go?"..."yes sir".

Later that night he asked me about it. We had a short discussion and he made his point. Pretty sure he knew how terrified I was and that the shock of it made an impact. To this day, my finger is constantly checking the safety over and over when a gun is in my hand.

I did that same thing when I was 16 with my Mauser in 308 while deer hunting. Poor squirrel blew up.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6176450 02/09/16 10:34 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
There have been many, many AD's listed here. The ONE thing which stands out is everyone was "smart", "educated" enough to have the guns pointed in a safe direction

KUDO's up

I had one close call with my bolt action .22 which proves my point above. I took my rifle out of the case after a trip to the range, going to oil it and put it away. As I was taught by "Uncle Gene" my mentor when I was a kid. I opened the bolt, and of course a live round popped out.

Thanks Uncle Gene !!!

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6176473 02/09/16 10:49 PM
T
TxDiver Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
A couple years ago I had a Savage 99 go off when I pushed the safety from safe to fire. Luckily all I shot was the dirt about 10 feet in front of me. After I calmed down I put it back on safe, unloaded it, worked the action, pushed the safety forward and heard it click as it dry fired. Took that gun to the gunsmith the next week and had it fixed, however I was never fully confident with it again and ended up selling it.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6177443 02/10/16 03:44 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I had a firing pin spring freeze up once in some nasty frozen conditions during a NM Elk, Muley hunt. Pulled trigger, rifle did not fire. Immediately pointed it to the ground, went to move to safety-on and clear chamber. During that move the firing pin spring released and rifle fired. Not cool, but good learning for me about what alternating rain/sleet/melting/freezing can do to a rifle when you are out in it all day.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6177522 02/10/16 04:32 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I was 16 it was dark and she smelled good..............

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: TFF Caribou] #6177731 02/10/16 06:42 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I had my .270 on an elk hunt several years ago. Something was off in the action. If the trigger was pulled with the safety on, it would fire when the safety was released. I didn't know this at the time. The trigger had been bumped, apparently, and when we had reached the road that evening to hitch a ride to camp, I released the safety to unload the rifle. It went off. We were safe since I had the muzzle pointed at the sky, but it sure surprised the hell out of us. Shortly after, another hunter stopped by to give us a lift. He asked if that was us that just shot. I told him it was somebody down the road. I was still too embarrassed to admit to what actually happened.

My dad's rifle did that on an elk hunt, only when it happened, he was getting set up to shoot a 5x5.

Exact same thing happened to me. Trigger screw was stressed from my adjustment I guess and broke it the cold temps of Colorado. Wish I was on his shoulder when I flipped the safety off.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: huntwest] #6177891 02/10/16 08:52 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: huntwest
I was 16 it was dark and she smelled good..............

Hmmm, would that be an ND or an AD? laugh

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge [Re: Buzzsaw] #6177943 02/10/16 09:39 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
My first one was just a couple of weeks ago. Wife and I and our neighbors joined a gun club and went out to shoot for the first time. We are at the pistol range, my wife and the neighbors wife are shooting a little 380 and a 38 revolver, I was shooting an Fn 5.7 and my neighbor guy was shooting an old 9mm that he has borrowed from a friend, the girls finish up and have walked to the truck or bathroom or whatever and he comes over and says man this thing is messing up, sometimes it just wont fire, so I take a look at it. Drop the magazine and racked the slide and a bullet ejected, I put the magazine back in & racked the slide, wont fire, I see the hammer isnt back so I reach up with my thumb and pull it back BOOM! gun goes off and flies out of my hand and onto the ground facing us with hammer back. Had me shook up a bit.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide