Forums46
Topics539,556
Posts9,751,081
Members87,167
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: jeepercreeper] #6169857 02/04/16 11:09 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
Well we're also talking fiberglass vs chassis stocks here. Synthetic/plastic stocks are a completely different animal and pretty much suck across the board.

I'm just old school by saying there are only two kinds of gun stocks. Those made of solid wood, and those that are not.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: TFF Caribou] #6169927 02/05/16 12:27 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
IMO, a fine wood stock is to a rifle or shotgun, what a sexy dress is to an attractive women. It just makes it look so much better.

And likewise, a solid-colored, synthetic stock is like a woman in a plain dress with no makeup.

I've seen guys who would select a specific new rifle or shotgun of the same model just because of the grain and appearance of the wood in the stock.

Wood just gives a gun more balance, not to mention reducing recoil due to the added weight. I was handling a rifle with a synthetic stock a few weeks back at Academy and dang near dropped it when the guy working the counter handed it to. All the weight was heavily in the front.

Well we're also talking fiberglass vs chassis stocks here. Synthetic/plastic stocks are a completely different animal and pretty much suck across the board.

Yep. Plastic stocks are not the same thing. And sure, a nice wood stock is great, but I'm clumsy. I don't think I could take a beautiful wood stock to the range without dinging it up, much less out to hunt with it.

I like some character on my guns.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6169939 02/05/16 12:36 AM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I believe that most pro shooters are shooting fiberglass stocks over chassis systems. There is a distinct trend of brands that are consistently winning when you look at the top finishers in precision rifle series.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/28/rifle-chassis/

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Sneaky] #6170128 02/05/16 02:44 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
IMO, a fine wood stock is to a rifle or shotgun, what a sexy dress is to an attractive women. It just makes it look so much better.

And likewise, a solid-colored, synthetic stock is like a woman in a plain dress with no makeup.

I've seen guys who would select a specific new rifle or shotgun of the same model just because of the grain and appearance of the wood in the stock.

Wood just gives a gun more balance, not to mention reducing recoil due to the added weight. I was handling a rifle with a synthetic stock a few weeks back at Academy and dang near dropped it when the guy working the counter handed it to. All the weight was heavily in the front.

Yep. Plastic stocks are not the same thing. And sure, a nice wood stock is great, but I'm clumsy. I don't think I could take a beautiful wood stock to the range without dinging it up, much less out to hunt with it.

I like some character on my guns.

He was talking about a fine piece of wood I think. Figured English walnut type wood. The kind of stock that costs a couple grand. I don't know anybody with that kind of stock that like "character".

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6170458 02/05/16 02:30 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
What's the point in spending that much money on a rifle stock if you're not going to use the hell out of it? grin

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Sneaky] #6170512 02/05/16 03:09 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
What's the point in spending that much money on a rifle stock if you're not going to use the hell out of it? grin

I agree. I have a couple of wood guns that sit in the safe alot and in doubled up gun socks. If they were synthetic, fiberglass they'd get used alot more.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6170576 02/05/16 03:50 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I use my wood stocked guns. They show it, too.

I do have one with a maple stock that I'm very careful with, but I do use it. I don't want to beat it up, but I don't cry about it when it happens.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Sneaky] #6170710 02/05/16 05:33 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I use my wood stocked guns. They show it, too.

I do have one with a maple stock that I'm very careful with, but I do use it. I don't want to beat it up, but I don't cry about it when it happens.

When I put together my custom Harley, the guys I ran with would park their rides in the livingroom all week, and go after them with a tooth-pick. They would only take them out on week-ends, and were afraid to get into the throttle when they did.

Not me! - I put mine through its paces every time my butt hit the saddle. My Hardly-Ableton was appreciated to the fullest possible extent, by all except for a few law enforcement officers perhaps.

I'm the same way with firearms... Of course I take care of them, but I sure do not treat them like hanger queens, they all get used for the intended purpose. There are not a lot of scratches and dings, but the ones that are there each has it's own story.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6170722 02/05/16 05:43 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
this has gotten way off topic

the OP was talking about snipers using plastic stocks -> chassis

he wasn't talking about general populace shooting with woody thirty thirty

I 've been looking at chassis and there are some really well made ones to choose from
I'll post a report later

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: cabosandinh] #6170761 02/05/16 06:06 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
this has gotten way off topic

the OP was talking about snipers using plastic stocks -> chassis

he wasn't talking about general populace shooting with woody thirty thirty

I 've been looking at chassis and there are some really well made ones to choose from
I'll post a report later

Welcome to every forum in the history of the internet.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6170905 02/05/16 08:10 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I thought the guys on the first page covered the subject fairly well.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6171084 02/05/16 10:10 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I approved this highjack texas

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6172198 02/06/16 09:31 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Just in. Gonna give the KRG Whiskey 3 a shot. Threw my old 243 adl in it to see how it works. Should work perfect for the 6.5 creedmoor Krieger barreled action im waiting on. So far Im pretty impressed. It has a ton of modularity and ergonomics are fantastic.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6172303 02/07/16 12:12 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Heard good things about those stocks. Looks good.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6172726 02/07/16 02:28 PM
J
JGreys0n Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Chassis systems make sense. They don't look too bad

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Texas Dan] #6173221 02/07/16 10:32 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

- And a chassis makes the rifle look like a crack ho. No meat on it, no curves, all boney.

Just fooling around.

Last edited by charlesb; 02/07/16 10:34 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: charlesb] #6173238 02/07/16 10:38 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Crack hoes have one job, to perform. Chassis perform, as well as composite stocks.

Hits on target matter far more to some people than how the rifle looks.

Yesterday I had 31 shooters out. Wood was the least common stock material. Just sayin.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6173537 02/08/16 01:38 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Some people like for the rifle to be accurate and look good too.

Everybody has their own idea as to what looks good, and are entitled to their opinion. Giving them a hard time about it is stupid.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: charlesb] #6173562 02/08/16 01:50 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Then stop giving "them" a hard time about it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6173574 02/08/16 01:57 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
popcorn

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6173581 02/08/16 02:01 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
This is what camp I fall into. Just fits me better and I think it's sexy.

[Linked Image]

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6173586 02/08/16 02:02 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Heres where I see a big advantage for chassis. Right now im putting together a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Before I commit to a stock and bottom metal I just want to see if the barreled action is a shooter and if i like the caliber. I can drop the barreled, scoped action into a chassis with no gunsmithing, no wait time. If it turns out to be a shooter I'll order the fiberglass stock and bottom metal I really want. Once the fiberglass stock arrives I can then sell the chassis and it'll be turn key for someone else.

Same thing with bolt knob, cerakote, and other non essentials. If she shoots I'll spend more $ on her. If she doesnt shoot, I'll let some other guy deal with her

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: Buzzsaw] #6173591 02/08/16 02:04 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I'm not a sniper but I do like McMillan stocks. I have 3 of them, 2 camo and one Mcswirly. I really like the looks of Manners too although I don't own one. I also like wood, I have 5 rifles with wood stocks including 3 mannlicher style stocks. I haven't made it to a chassis but variety is the spice of life.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: jeepercreeper] #6173593 02/08/16 02:06 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Heres where I see a big advantage for chassis. Right now im putting together a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Before I commit to a stock and bottom metal I just want to see if the barreled action is a shooter and if i like the caliber. I can drop the barreled, scoped action into a chassis with no gunsmithing, no wait time. If it turns out to be a shooter I'll order the fiberglass stock and bottom metal I really want. Once the fiberglass stock arrives I can then sell the chassis and it'll be turn key for someone else.

Same thing with bolt knob, cerakote, and other non essentials. If she shoots I'll spend more $ on her. If she doesnt shoot, I'll let some other guy deal with her

Why not just keep the chassis?

[Linked Image]

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks [Re: KRoyal] #6173646 02/08/16 02:50 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Why not just keep the chassis?

Im in love with the Mcmillan A5. Im just using the KRG like a crack ho.

In all seriousness, we'll see if chassis grows on me but I just like wood and fiberglass stocks so much.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide