Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148749 01/22/16 04:41 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I grew up bowhunting, I just bought my son a new Mission for Christmas and my girlfriend wants to try Bowhunting also. If every likes it more takes to it we may go bow only. there is something better about getting the deer in close enough to take them with a bow.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Rob Lay] #6148752 01/22/16 04:42 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
.. minimum to state law hunting so other jurisdictions can't stop you from hunting. 10 acres for archery and 50 acres for rifle. ....

hmmm, which state law say 50 min for rifle?

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: oldoak2000] #6148759 01/22/16 04:44 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
.. minimum to state law hunting so other jurisdictions can't stop you from hunting. 10 acres for archery and 50 acres for rifle. ....

hmmm, which state law say 50 min for rifle?

I thought it was a county regulation? Like Lampasas says no hunting in subdivisions if your plot is under 10 acres

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148852 01/22/16 05:25 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I wasn't saying it was my safety, I still make sure that all my other safeties are in place, but if for some reason one of those safeties fail I like to ensure I have "wide open space" on the other side. Where I am at there is no "wide open" space, what I mean by that is land that is acreage without a house in direct line. I feel confident though with my safeties set up that I wont be crossing a line.

LOL, I wasn't worried about you crossed a line, but your bullets.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6148856 01/22/16 05:27 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I have to disagree with you NP. Pitchfork is right on the money.

Small acreage hunters shooting too many deer, or hunting the fenceline, have driven more property owners to HF than anything else, IMO.

Some people want to have a nice place to hunt, without fundng the neighbors small acreage over-hunting.

I'll be high fencing in the next few years. Why? Because I'm surrounded by small acreage that has multiple stands within sight of my fence (none of mine are within sight of their property). I can tell by looking at a man's feeder & stand set up what kind of hunter he probably is. A shitty corn feeder only running a month or 2, with a shitty plyboard stand, indicated they are not serious, just wanting to "fill muh freezer".

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
This all comes down to what type of wildlife steward you decide to be. Many small landowners contribute to the overall good of their wildlife population.

However, many choose to take all they can without consideration of the long term effect. I remember earlier this season your post about all the deer your in laws have killed this year on that 10 acres. Yes, it is true that the state owns the deer, not the neighbors. If we all own the deer, we should be managing them as if there are no fences or boundaries. We should look at bedding and feeding areas, food sources, water and population of the big picture, being the amount of acres that we are hunting that support the local/core area of the deer herd that lives there.

Sadly, this rarely happens. It turns into this is all about me and what I want. I own this land, it's the states deer and I'll shoot as many as I legally can, even though most or all of the deer I'm shooting don't live on my land, they just briefly cross it or feed on it.

It's this attitude that has resulted in the majority of landowners deciding to high fence their land. I can assure you as long as this trend of small land ownership continues and the owners hunt like your in laws, high fences will continue to expand their range.

IMO the biggest risk to small land ownership besides the safety aspect is being high fenced out for these reasons .

IMO the reason most HF their land has zip, zero, nada to do with their neighbors' bad actions. It is so they can control what goes on on THEIR place. This is indisputably true if non-native animals are introduced and/or the now-enclosed deer are allowed to increase in number well beyond native carrying capacity.As is most often the case on both counts with HF.

I agree with you HFs are a big negative for small landowners. I'll never buy the BS line that it's all the small landowners' fault.

That's insult to injury IMO.

Support HF as freedom and a legal property right? I get it. We can just agree to disagree.

LO's trying to justify their actions in HFing their property and ruining their neighbors' hunting by blaming it on their neighbors for exercising THEIR legal property rights?
Disingenuous whining/blame shifting. You HF it? Then "own" your actions and don't act like a democrat by blaming someone else for your actions.

Basically saying "Too dang bad I'm bigger than you so I'm going to ruin your hunting.Suck it up, buttercup."

And folks call me an "elitist". smile

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 01/22/16 05:30 PM.
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6148881 01/22/16 05:39 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Wow peep

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
I can tell by looking at a man's feeder & stand set up what kind of hunter he probably is. A shitty corn feeder only running a month or 2, with a shitty plyboard stand, indicated they are not serious, just wanting to "fill muh freezer".

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6148900 01/22/16 05:43 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
This all comes down to what type of wildlife steward you decide to be. Many small landowners contribute to the overall good of their wildlife population.

However, many choose to take all they can without consideration of the long term effect. I remember earlier this season your post about all the deer your in laws have killed this year on that 10 acres. Yes, it is true that the state owns the deer, not the neighbors. If we all own the deer, we should be managing them as if there are no fences or boundaries. We should look at bedding and feeding areas, food sources, water and population of the big picture, being the amount of acres that we are hunting that support the local/core area of the deer herd that lives there.

Sadly, this rarely happens. It turns into this is all about me and what I want. I own this land, it's the states deer and I'll shoot as many as I legally can, even though most or all of the deer I'm shooting don't live on my land, they just briefly cross it or feed on it.

It's this attitude that has resulted in the majority of landowners deciding to high fence their land. I can assure you as long as this trend of small land ownership continues and the owners hunt like your in laws, high fences will continue to expand their range.

IMO the biggest risk to small land ownership besides the safety aspect is being high fenced out for these reasons .

IMO the reason most HF their land has zip, zero, nada to do with their neighbors' bad actions. It is so they can control what goes on on THEIR place. This is indisputably true if non-native animals are introduced and/or the now-enclosed deer are allowed to increase in number well beyond native carrying capacity.As is most often the case on both counts with HF.

I agree with you HFs are a big negative for small landowners. I'll never buy the BS line that it's all the small landowners' fault.

That's insult to injury IMO.

Support HF as freedom and a legal property right? I get it. We can just agree to disagree.

LO's trying to justify their actions in HFing their property and ruining their neighbors' hunting by blaming it on their neighbors for exercising THEIR legal property rights?
Disingenuous whining/blame shifting. You HF it? Then "own" your actions and don't act like a democrat by blaming someone else for your actions.

Basically saying "Too dang bad I'm bigger than you so I'm going to ruin your hunting.Suck it up, buttercup."

And folks call me an "elitist". smile

Go ahead and ignore facts to support your opinion. It's a free country.

But don't start your whining when people view your opinion as not being credible. Take it like a man if your going to pound it into the dirt. violin

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 01/22/16 05:51 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6148911 01/22/16 05:48 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
There is a sig line right there, free to anyone roflmao

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6148926 01/22/16 05:52 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Take it like a man if your going to pound it into the dirt.

...and scene. grin Best out of context quote on the internet to date.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Rob Lay] #6149095 01/22/16 07:08 PM
D
dubee Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
for small tracts I would also get the minimum to state law hunting so other jurisdictions can't stop you from hunting. 10 acres for archery and 50 acres for rifle. I would love to have 10 acres here in Southlake for bow hunting, there are some BIG bucks and Southlake has a law against hunting, but you could tell them to stuff it.

Never heard of 50 minimum to rifle hunt.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Texas Dan] #6149103 01/22/16 07:13 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
IMO, the area should be large enough so there is little or no chance that you will not be able to retrieve a deer without trespassing on your surrounding neighbor's property.

From a more ethical standpoint, it would seem the property would be large enough to support and sustain the deer you will be harvesting. Otherwise, you're just leeching off your neighbors.

If your a good shot ,you shouldnt have a problem retrieving ive never had a deer go more than 50 yds with my .308 or.300 wby mag., thats shots out to 350yds

Last edited by sparrish8; 01/22/16 07:13 PM.
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Buffs 1] #6149274 01/22/16 08:42 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

I agree, Wow! Talk about an elitist! Complaining about someone that wants to deer hunt for meat AND doesn't have tens of thousands of dollars a year to spend on recreation-- probably someone that only wants to talk about how big theirs is [deer of course]. Unbelievable!

Originally Posted By: Buffs 1
Wow peep

I can tell by looking at a man's feeder & stand set up what kind of hunter he probably is. A shitty corn feeder only running a month or 2, with a shitty plyboard stand, indicated they are not serious, just wanting to "fill muh freezer".

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6149287 01/22/16 08:50 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
I wasn't saying it was my safety, I still make sure that all my other safeties are in place, but if for some reason one of those safeties fail I like to ensure I have "wide open space" on the other side. Where I am at there is no "wide open" space, what I mean by that is land that is acreage without a house in direct line. I feel confident though with my safeties set up that I wont be crossing a line.

LOL, I wasn't worried about you crossed a line, but your bullets.

Me too

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6149290 01/22/16 08:53 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
[quote=Nogalus Prairie

IMO the reason most HF their land has zip, zero, nada to do with their neighbors' bad actions.

[/quote]

Well, you'd be wrong, at least in one case, because that's EXACTLY why I put up a high fence.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149299 01/22/16 08:58 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Don't have to spend 10s of thousands of dollars to have a nice set up, feed year round, or hunt with management in mind. The type of person who does the bare minimum is often not in it for management reasons. Too bad if the truth upsets you.

To answer the OP directly, it's not how many acres you need to deer hunt. It's how many deer can you take off your acreage. Obviously there are many factors, like deer density, hunting pressure in the area, drought conditions, forage, etc. the question is : how many deer does your acreage support?

Can we all agree, that if you take more deer than your land supports, you are taking from the "states deer"? You are in essence taking more than you make (raise). If everyone did this, there will not be a future in Texas for deer hunting.

There is also no way you can guarantee your bullet will stay in your 10 acre property, I promise.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6149311 01/22/16 09:06 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

There is also no way you can guarantee your bullet will stay in your 10 acre property, I promise.

If your feeder were down in a draw, or up against a creek bank,or the side of s steep hill, wouldn't that guarantee that the bullet would stay on (or in) your property??

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6149328 01/22/16 09:15 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Don't have to spend 10s of thousands of dollars to have a nice set up, feed year round, or hunt with management in mind. The type of person who does the bare minimum is often not in it for management reasons. Too bad if the truth upsets you.

To answer the OP directly, it's not how many acres you need to deer hunt. It's how many deer can you take off your acreage. Obviously there are many factors, like deer density, hunting pressure in the area, drought conditions, forage, etc. the question is : how many deer does your acreage support?

Can we all agree, that if you take more deer than your land supports, you are taking from the "states deer"? You are in essence taking more than you make (raise). If everyone did this, there will not be a future in Texas for deer hunting.

It's not that black and white, either. All the deer belong to the state, even the ones you think you are raising. What if your ten acres is a part of thousands that nobody hunts but you? What if the deer population is beyond carrying capacity? There's too many factors to make blanket statements. All anyone can do is exercise some sense and respect to their neighbors.

And yes, I can guarantee that my bullets stay on my ten acres if I have made the decision to shoot there. A person could fire a weapon on the King Ranch and put a bullet onto the neighbor's property. Is it not big enough to hunt?

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149355 01/22/16 09:33 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
The fact that you thinking this way demonstrates you are taking the safety aspect of having a smaller place into account. The fact you posted this demonstrates you realy are bored for the potential flaming you might take (not too bad so far). How many deer you can take and not ruin it for yourselves and neighbors down the road has too many variables to make an informed decision on.
I don't have a large place but we don't over harvest, I have free choice protein available year round and plant food plots in the fall. I have gone so far as to have watering systems for the food plots for the low rainfall years to try and incease the available feed. It has had mixed results but I try to be the best steward of the land and the habitat that I can be.
As long as you are safety conscious and don't abuse things you should be fine. Enjoy your property.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149401 01/22/16 10:03 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I agree with your 1st paragraph Sneaky. That's why I started off with "Obviously there are many factors".

I disagree with the 2nd paragraph. Your argument there is disingenuous. How many 10 acre plots are like you describe?

If you feel so certain that you could keep a bullet on 10 acres, would you feel confident having loved ones stand on fence line while you shoot every time? I sure as [censored] wouldn't, & I feel my chances of keeping a bullet on 10 acre is as good as anyone else's.

7ARanch has a nice set up it sounds. IMO, that's how you can run a smaller acreage, hunt successfully & sustainably, & better the "states" herd.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: Buffs 1] #6149439 01/22/16 10:25 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Buffs 1
Wow peep

x2
Please enlighten us some more how a man's feeder and his blind tell you what kind of hunter he is.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149440 01/22/16 10:26 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Plenty in areas of high deer densities. Some in other areas.

That's a loaded question. A stupid stunt to prove something that can be proven, otherwise. I could turn it around just the same way. Would you wager a thousand dollars that I couldn't do it?

And I meant what I said, believe it or not.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149460 01/22/16 10:44 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: jsplinter
I thought about asking these questions when it came up on a different thread but I will ask them here. I hunted 10 acres last season and next season I will be hunting 15 acres, as long ans everything goes well I will be closing on the 1st of March. I know a lot of you say this is way to small to hunt and instead you have to be on huge acreage leases. I've never been a fan of leasing, whether it be my house, car, or land, I would much rather own. So for that reason I hunt what I can afford.

What do you guys think the minimum safe amount of land to hunt is? When hunting small acreage what would you do to minimize the chances of a ricochet, trust me this is a concern of mine and I will have all my shots set up to where they go in the direction of other wide open acreage. What about building back stops? or hunting shotgun only with slugs, which is how I grew up and still have to hunt if I go back to my parents house in Wisconsin?

All these questions are more along the line of if these things are taken into consideration would it make some of you big acreage guys ok with hunting small properties?

2cents popcorn flag

i'm postaddic
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: maximus_flavius] #6149481 01/22/16 11:02 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

So only trophy hunters with pricey stands and feeders are serious?

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: jsplinter] #6149483 01/22/16 11:04 PM
J
jsplinter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
It wa kind of a loaded question, I knew I would get lots of different views on what is acceptable. Now that I own in, in a few months, I will be starting my feed with corn and protein stating as soon as I take ownership. Also next to each feeder is a large water container, and the property has a creek with a pretty good size pond. I have high hopes and am pretty excited.

Re: How much land is the minmum? [Re: SouthWestIron] #6149534 01/22/16 11:45 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: blazin
Please enlighten us some more how a man's feeder and his blind tell you what kind of hunter he is.

GENERALLY SPEAKING. if you see a guy with good equipment, hes serious about what he does.

If you see a guy with no protein feeder, no food plot, a cheap [censored] $100 Wal Mart feeder, & a POS particle board stand, he's probably not very serious. GENERALLY SPEAKING.

If someone spends time, money & effort on something, it's probably important to them. If they don't, it probably ain't. YMMV.

Same way I can tell GENERALLY SPEAKING how serious a hunter is by his rifle & (more importantly) his scope. If a guy has a $20 scope & another guy has Leupold, which would you reckon is more serious about hunting?

Same with other equipment & other hobbies. Scuba, motorcycles, cars, you name it.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide