Page 1 of 2 1 2
Did your CHL change your attitude? #612542 02/24/09 04:02 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
After giving the matter a lot of thought, I've decided to get my CHL. Something that I've been mulling over while thinking about it is what effect carrying a handgun may have on me. Let's face it, handguns are made to shoot people. And while I feel confident that I wouldn't hesitate to use a handgun to defend myself or my family, I also don't want to find myself just waiting for that first opportunity to use it.

Hopefully, you see where I'm going with this. So my question is this. Did you find it a challenge to keep your head screwed on straight once you got your CHL?

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Texas Dan] #612543 02/24/09 04:19 AM
F
fishingmike Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
yes and no, i don't think anyone is just out to shoot someone, not the honest folks anyway, but it did easy my mind, because i was carrying a gun anyway now it's all legal.but no it didn't make me want to use the gun any more than before, as you said to protect yourself and family, good little piece of mind i guess.

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: fishingmike] #612544 02/24/09 05:01 AM
O
Omaney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Quote:

Let's face it, handguns are made to shoot people.

WRONG!! Handguns are for self defense. I found that when I began carrying, I also became much more aware of my surroundings and the actions of others. I do not want to ever have to draw my weapon as it remains the last resort. So my answer to the original question is an emphatic YES. I am far less prone to confrontation and/or loss of temper to my fellow...uh...man.

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Omaney] #612545 02/24/09 05:21 AM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Dan I am with you on your thinking well some of it. Gun are made for self protection. I do not have my CHL. But it not a hard for me.
It is better to have one( a gun) and not need it than, need it and not have one.
my dad was a police officer for 32 years and never fired a shot I had a buddy I went to the acadmey with used his 3 years after he got out.

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Omaney] #612546 02/24/09 05:32 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Quote:

Quote:

WRONG!! Handguns are for self defense. I found that when I began carrying, I also became much more aware of my surroundings and the actions of others. I do not want to ever have to draw my weapon as it remains the last resort. So my answer to the original question is an emphatic YES. I am far less prone to confrontation and/or loss of temper to my fellow...uh...man.

I agree with everything said, and I found that I am aware and go out of my way to not put myself into a situation where the chances are high that I may have to use my gun.

By that I mean I don't go looking for trouble.

If a situtation doesn't look right I will avoid it at all cost, and that may sound strange, but you develope a feel for things that don't look right or feel right, and you carry yourself in a way that I think the bad guy recognizes and tends to shy away and go look for an easier target.

Believe me when I say that they can spot the guy who is carrying because he has his head up and has a shirt outside his belt or a jacket, and the guy is looking around checking out his surroundings.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Texas Dan] #612547 02/24/09 05:48 AM
K
KC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
K
Wow, that sounds like a great line of reasoning to ban handguns... Oh well, you know, these people buy handguns intending to have them for protection, but over time, the handguns poison their brains and then they are just ruthless killing machines.

If you are afraid that having your CHL would make you seek out situations where you would be forced to use your weapon, then you don't need to get your CHL, and you probably don't need to own a handgun. A handgun is a tool, nothing more. Just because I have an expensive cell phone that I carry everywhere doesn't mean that I go out of my way to make calls to everyone in my phone book. The last thing I would ever want is to be forced to kill someone with my concealed weapon, but believe me when I tell you that I don't step outside my door without it, not even to go get the mail...

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: KC] #612548 02/24/09 06:19 AM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What definitely changes is your awareness. Hopefully your maturity level is very high by the time you decide to get a CHL, if your a hothead or a showoff you will probably end up with a record that will prevent you from ever owning a gun again.

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Mike W] #612549 02/24/09 06:44 AM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Mike W] #612550 02/24/09 06:57 AM
O
Omaney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
Quote:

And don't do this.....

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/1202184.html

What a tool. There goes that CHL... and probably a good thing.

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Mike W] #612551 02/24/09 07:05 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
All the comments are very much appreciated. Again, I asked the question to "get into the heads" of those who already have their CHL and see if what I may have overlooked before getting mine.

Here's another question.

How do you decide when to carry your firearm? Do you only carry it when you suspect you might need it, or do you take the opposite approach and only leave it at home when you're going somewhere where you know it isn't legal?

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Omaney] #612552 02/24/09 07:07 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've never felt the need to carry around a short gun. And, there have been a couple of times that, after the fact, I was glad of it.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Dave Davidson] #612553 02/24/09 07:10 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Quote:

I've never felt the need to carry around a short gun. And, there have been a couple of times that, after the fact, I was glad of it.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "short gun"? If "long guns" are rifles and shotguns, is this another word for a handgun?

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Texas Dan] #612554 02/24/09 07:23 AM
B
Bartman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Having a CHL and carrying should not cause you to put yourself in a bad situation no more than you would if you weren't carrying. It is all about making smart decisions and being aware of your surroundings. Yes I carry and will use it if neccessary but I use my better judgement and avoid confrontations when ever possible. I also carry a badge that gives me a little extra protection but it still don't change my demeanor.

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Bartman] #612555 02/24/09 08:44 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Quote:

Yes I carry and will use it if neccessary but I use my better judgement and avoid confrontations when ever possible.

Do you feel the fact that you're carrying a firearm makes you any less likely to avoid confrontations?

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Texas Dan] #612556 02/24/09 10:42 AM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Dan..I think most people who get a CHL already have their "head on straight" to begin with. They pursued the CHL in order to remain law abiding citizens. Conflict resolution is taught in the class and emphasized. The legalities in pulling your weapon are mostly based on the "Fear or Anger" approach. In other words...are you using your weapon out of fear for your life or plain anger. If it is anger, then use of the weapon is WRONG. If it is because you feel your life is threatened...(ie fear)...then you are justified. I've only had one instance in my life where I brandished my weapon at 6 individuals of "gang pursuasion" whom were following me. I never fired the weapon but I think showing the weapon and telling them "don't come any closer or I will defend myself"..made the point. From that day on, I thank the LORD for having my CHL. I hope you never have to do the same thing.

Live Free or Die...
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: fishhuntgolfgeek] #612557 02/24/09 10:48 AM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
PS Dan...as the instructor said in our CHL class...take your weapon with you as much as possible. A right that is not excersised will slowly become lost.

Live Free or Die...
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Omaney] #612558 02/24/09 08:34 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Not to piss off the pope but HANDGUNS CAN BE USED FOR SELF DEFENSE, CAN BE USED FOR HUNTING, CAN BE USED FOR PLINKING AND TARGET PRACTICE, AND CAN BE USED FOR SHOOTING PEOPLE. KEY WORD CAN. JUST FOR THE ANTIS SAKE.

I like to think they are MADE by the manufacturers for fun in the outdoors at the range, or wherever, but for fun period. I also like to think as a CHL holder that if need be they can and should be used for self defense. But to say they are made to shoot people is irresponsible!

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money" Tom T Hall
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: fishhuntgolfgeek] #612559 02/24/09 11:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Quote:

Dan..I think most people who get a CHL already have their "head on straight" to begin with. They pursued the CHL in order to remain law abiding citizens. Conflict resolution is taught in the class and emphasized. The legalities in pulling your weapon are mostly based on the "Fear or Anger" approach. In other words...are you using your weapon out of fear for your life or plain anger. If it is anger, then use of the weapon is WRONG. If it is because you feel your life is threatened...(ie fear)...then you are justified. I've only had one instance in my life where I brandished my weapon at 6 individuals of "gang pursuasion" whom were following me. I never fired the weapon but I think showing the weapon and telling them "don't come any closer or I will defend myself"..made the point. From that day on, I thank the LORD for having my CHL. I hope you never have to do the same thing.

Great comments.

I'm also reminded how some people seem to take on a different personality once they get behind the wheel. At that point, their car or truck and the space it occupies becomes an extension of themselves. They will loose their head and literally fight and go after someone steps on their turf.

If someone could act that way when driving a car, it would seem logical they would even be worse when carrying a gun.

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Mike W] #612560 02/25/09 04:59 AM
K
KC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
K
Quote:

And don't do this.....

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/1202184.html

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and get fined $10,000 and lose your CHL and probably your bicycle...

Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Texas Dan] #612561 02/25/09 05:13 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Quote:

Well that just sucks to learn that I've been using mine wrong all these years! I've killed a few pigs, a few deer, and a bunch of squirrels but never a "people".

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: KC] #612562 02/25/09 05:14 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
If anything, having my CHL has made me a bigger coward than ever. If I can outrun the perp, so much the better.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: dawaba] #612563 02/25/09 06:59 AM
BigRon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
The great Jeff Cooper was fond of pointing out that, "An armed society is a polite society."

Don't want to pick nits here, but if I was looking to shoot any peoples, I would bring a rifle or shotgun. Handguns concealed on your person are for self defense in emergency situations. Most handguns, including virtually any handgun suitable for carrying concealed, are very poor immediate people killers. Try to keep in mind that folks falling DRT from handguns is Hollywood stuff. Presenting that concealed handgun to prevent imminent harm should be avoided if at all possible.

God is so good to me.
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: BigRon] #612564 02/25/09 07:23 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I lived in Oklahoma when CCW first became available there. I got mine the first year it was available and had it until after I moved back to Texas and it expired.

I've not yet gotten one in Texas (been back here 7 years now) but I will one of these days.

I can speak only for myself. I found that even with a CCW - I just didn't carry that much. I'm sure that is different with others but I just simply didn't as you have to be especially concerned about the type of apparell you wear, your type of gun, the holster or means of concealment, and it STAYING and BEING concealed. That isn't as easy as some might think.

I found myself just not carrying alot because of those things. But that was just me personally.

Like the others said it makes you more aware. If someone is the type that it gives them a Dirty Harry personality then they shouldn't carry at all - shouldn't even own a gun actually.

Earl

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: Earl] #612565 02/25/09 05:56 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Didn't change my attitude, but did further remind me, of what a tremendous amount of responsibility there is, in carrying a firearm.

It also made me proud. Proud to live in a state that recognizes and allows for responsible folks to have this priviledge.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Did your CHL change your attitude? [Re: janie] #612566 02/25/09 06:11 PM
F
fishingmike Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
the gun is just a tool, "guns don't kill people, people kill people" as for it changing the way you confront people, or as with the one about the cars changing the way a person acts,well let's hope they don't get a gun.if any thing it does make you more aware of your surroundings,try harder than ever to avoid a case where you may need to use it,i think i speak for a lot of them,last thing i want to do is shoot someone,hope it never comes to that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide