Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6121303 01/06/16 05:18 AM
S
Stoney Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Once again we go from a legit question to Charlesb turning it into a pizzin match. Hey Charles, you got any idea how to bend a bolt? That was the original question. Heat the SOB up in a vice and bend downward would be my answer. You 2 go rub it out in the optics forum if it's that big a deal. This shyte is getting a bit old

BAKEN-ET's Pro Staff
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: Stoney] #6121306 01/06/16 05:39 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Stoney
Once again we go from a legit question to Charlesb turning it into a pizzin match. Hey Charles, you got any idea how to bend a bolt? That was the original question. Heat the SOB up in a vice and bend downward would be my answer. You 2 go rub it out in the optics forum if it's that big a deal. This shyte is getting a bit old

You might want to go back and see who started the pizzen match.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: bo3] #6121348 01/06/16 11:36 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yeah, he might. I asked Charles to explain his "facts", he wanted me to go first because he had no way to elaborate. I made a polite, fact based post. He took it to a pissing match, getting butt hurt once again.

Just because you don't like me does not make things true that are not true.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: J.G.] #6121648 01/06/16 03:37 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Yeah, he might. I asked Charles to explain his "facts", he wanted me to go first because he had no way to elaborate. I made a polite, fact based post. He took it to a pissing match, getting butt hurt once again.

Never said I didnt like you but I guess you believe if someone questions you or disagees with you, they hate you. I thought it was kinda nice to be able to converse and argue with someone at a higher level. That believe it makes other parties better. The ability to share , and exchange ideas and even disagree are what makes this forum a great place. Take Charles for example. When he first got on here I didn't think he had any knowledge and I was a butt to him. Hes hung around and has showed he has knowledge and will stick to his beliefs. I like him just because he has a different opinion and it comes from his experience same as you.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: bo3] #6121970 01/06/16 05:57 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: bo323
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Never said I didnt like you but I guess you believe if someone questions you or disagees with you, they hate you. I thought it was kinda nice to be able to converse and argue with someone at a higher level. That believe it makes other parties better. The ability to share , and exchange ideas and even disagree are what makes this forum a great place. Take Charles for example. When he first got on here I didn't think he had any knowledge and I was a butt to him. Hes hung around and has showed he has knowledge and will stick to his beliefs. I like him just because he has a different opinion and it comes from his experience same as you.

I don't want to speak for JG, but I think his comment was referring to Charles, not to you.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: Stoney] #6122556 01/06/16 10:23 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Stoney

You are on the money about bolt-bending. Not exactly rocket science.

Here's a butterknife handle I made for my old Mauser a few years back. Since it sticks almost straight down, that means it is just above horizontal when open. That gun uses a peep sight... If it had a scope on it, the bolt handle would not be an issue.

It was fabricated from 5/8" free-machining steel, then TIG welded in place. I still have that Mauser, it is awaiting a new barrel and rust-bluing before I sink it into a fabulous piece of Walnut that I have on hand for it. It has fiddleback from stem to stern, and will be very striking once it is inletted, shaped and stained etc. Right now the stock is over-sized in all dimensions. The plan at this point is to stick with the peep sight, but it may get one of better quality. The bolt handle, safety and shroud are shaped now and ready for polishing. The bolt will be jewelled after its polished.

It will be a stalking-rifle in 30-06 or perhaps 8mm-06 when completed.

Here's the floorplate being sunk into the stock.

The original poster does not need a bolt-bend in my opinion, he just needs a scope that is better suited to his gun, as I stated earlier.

If he were my customer, he would hear about that but the final decision would be his. - It's his gun, and his money after all.

The "legit" question from JG was where the "pizzing" started here. - And I am tired of it too. Maybe JG will man-up soon and stop acting uncivilized on this forum.

- And maybe not. That's his look-out, not mine.

Last edited by charlesb; 01/06/16 10:42 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6122573 01/06/16 10:32 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
That's some nice work Charles. I like that bolt handle. Pretty cool.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: charlesb] #6122585 01/06/16 10:36 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^I respect that work, I really do. And I really enjoy TIG welding, especially on steel. It is very surgical.

But as far as your opinion on what OP needs to do, that is all it is, an opinion, same as mine.

I did in fact ask you a legit question that you failed to answer because you probably knew there was things you don't know. You asked me to explain and I did. Then, as always, you became rude and made another failed attempt at trying to make an educated rebuttle.

No way would I tell you how to run a lathe, even though I have one of my own. I also know I am a novice machining with it. So maybe open your mind to another way to skin a cat more often, on other topics.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6123164 01/07/16 03:33 AM
B
booradley Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Well Charles, I respect that you would get another scope. It is not within my budget to do so and I have the scope I want. A Leupold would probably work, but I don't want a Leupold for this rifle. I'm going to use the Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 with German #4 reticle I bought for it. I'm a Leupold fan. I also have a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40(which I think is a very unappreciated scope) sitting on a 700 ADL that I could swap.

My two basic choices are doing something with the bolt(I inquired and from feedback have decided not to do) and installing higher rings, which I've decided to do. If the cheek weld is not to my liking I can easily fix it.

You do have a way of ticking people off and I've seen you state things as fact and not back them up. I agree with some stuff you have posted, I disagree with much you have posted. I disagree with some of the stuff FiremanJG posts and that is okay. But I respect his views and would like to meet him. There are more people that have issues with you seemingly than any other poster on this forum. So, it boils down to, am I, Charlesb right and all of these other snapper heads posting on THF wrong? Or is it the other way around?

Last edited by booradley; 01/07/16 03:46 AM.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6123380 01/07/16 12:44 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I feel the same about the Elite 4200. Top notch scope that gets overlooked.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6123401 01/07/16 01:07 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: booradley
Well Charles, I respect that you would get another scope. It is not within my budget to do so and I have the scope I want. A Leupold would probably work, but I don't want a Leupold for this rifle. I'm going to use the Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 with German #4 reticle I bought for it. I'm a Leupold fan. I also have a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40(which I think is a very unappreciated scope) sitting on a 700 ADL that I could swap.

My two basic choices are doing something with the bolt(I inquired and from feedback have decided not to do) and installing higher rings, which I've decided to do. If the cheek weld is not to my liking I can easily fix it.

You do have a way of ticking people off and I've seen you state things as fact and not back them up. I agree with some stuff you have posted, I disagree with much you have posted. I disagree with some of the stuff FiremanJG posts and that is okay. But I respect his views and would like to meet him. There are more people that have issues with you seemingly than any other poster on this forum. So, it boils down to, am I, Charlesb right and all of these other snapper heads posting on THF wrong? Or is it the other way around?

The issue, as far as I can tell, is that you are more concerned about whether you agree with me than I am.

I don't have a problem with some people disagreeing with me... I don't argue with the weather, either.

I do however have a low opinion of those who cannot seem to disagree without trying to make it a personal issue out of it.

- Like you have just done.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6124315 01/07/16 08:54 PM
B
booradley Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Trolling trolling trolling.

Last edited by booradley; 01/07/16 09:01 PM.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6124560 01/07/16 11:37 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Well, cut it out then... Trolling is frowned upon in forums like this.

Last edited by charlesb; 01/07/16 11:37 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6124703 01/08/16 01:23 AM
B
booradley Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
The emperor's new clothes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread