Forums46
Topics538,120
Posts9,733,216
Members87,069
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6112228 01/01/16 12:37 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Read previous posts and you will see where this issue stands on this board.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mike W] #6112241 01/01/16 12:46 AM
B
bucksnbass357 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Mike W
Originally Posted By: bucksnbass357
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Pull it and you could be open game by the cops. A 12 year old kid was shot by the cops up in Cleveland for pointing a pellet gun.

Yes sir, but he pointed it at Police Officers, not some Dirtbag criminal

Actually, he neither pulled nor pointed.

So what is your understanding of what happened?

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: bucksnbass357] #6112294 01/01/16 01:14 AM
B
bucksnbass357 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

Yes sir, but he pointed it at Police Officers, not some Dirtbag criminal [/quote]

Actually, he neither pulled nor pointed. [/quote]

So what is your understanding of what happened? [/quote]

I stand corrected, you are right Mike, he " reached " for the gun that the young thug had already been waving around, and when he reached for it, the Officers defended themselves and shot him.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6112308 01/01/16 01:20 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Back to the original question. I would never. Would you?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: bill oxner] #6112389 01/01/16 02:19 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M

I like higher capacity magazines and you don't see any logical reason for them. Seems like having a logical and informed discussion about open vs concealed wouldn't be productive for either of us.

But, to answer your question directly: It's not a matter of "if" - it is a question of "where and when." On the ranch, yes of course because I have for the last 50 years.

Respectfully,
Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: bill oxner] #6112412 01/01/16 02:40 AM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"

Yes, sometimes. When necessary. More CC than anything, but like not having to stress. Example is I am eating at a restaurant with my wife and wear my jacket inside. It gets hot, so I have to be careful no one sees my gun and cover it with the jacket that is now off. But, during movements and conversations I am constantly checking to make sure it is still covered. Makes life a lot easier. Not including riding a motorcycle. Difficult to conceal while riding in leathers.

Last edited by Superduty; 01/01/16 02:58 AM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6112485 01/01/16 03:26 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I plan to start dressing and carrying like Paladin. Other times I may wear a big sombrero and carry a bandoleer of ammo.

To be determined
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6112809 01/01/16 01:49 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I really don't expect much change. Forty five other states already allow open carry.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mud] #6114936 01/02/16 08:36 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Mud
Do you ever have to stop in the wrong part of town to get gas? Why not, instead of concealing a weapon in your pants and hope you don't have to use it, wear it on your hip to ensure you won't have to? As stated earlier, thugs prey on the targets they know they can defeat. They, for the most part won't jack with someone they know will fight back.

As a law enforcement officer with many years of experience, I will suggest this theory is flawed. Some bad guys don't care if you are armed or not. When a person is practicing open carry in the hope of warding off trouble, he/she had better be ready to fight if the big iron doesn't intimidate the BG. Being heads-up with a command presence and aware of one's surroundings is as necessary in warding off thugs as keeping a weapon visible. Don't put yourself in a bad situation and expect the display of a weapon to save your bacon.

When I'm off duty I carry concealed because I do not want the attention.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Choctaw] #6115111 01/02/16 11:03 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Do you ever have to stop in the wrong part of town to get gas? Why not, instead of concealing a weapon in your pants and hope you don't have to use it, wear it on your hip to ensure you won't have to? As stated earlier, thugs prey on the targets they know they can defeat. They, for the most part won't jack with someone they know will fight back.

As a law enforcement officer with many years of experience, I will suggest this theory is flawed. Some bad guys don't care if you are armed or not. When a person is practicing open carry in the hope of warding off trouble, he/she had better be ready to fight if the big iron doesn't intimidate the BG. Being heads-up with a command presence and aware of one's surroundings is as necessary in warding off thugs as keeping a weapon visible. Don't put yourself in a bad situation and expect the display of a weapon to save your bacon.

This is probably the best post I've seen on this topic.

I am all about freedom of choice; I choose to CC so I do not draw attention to myself.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: The Dude Abides] #6115266 01/03/16 12:47 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308

I am all about freedom of choice; I choose to CC so I do not draw attention to myself.

Agreed. Why not just use your brain and get gas ahead of time in a good part of town??? Why even risk having to stop in a bad part of town????

If im a bad guy maybe i see your shiny 1911 and decide i need to upgrade my piece.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6115884 01/03/16 01:30 PM
B
beech96w Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Seeing how I'm one chicken fried steak away from having a full IWB. OC allows for OWB carry without worrying about printing/flashing.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: The Dude Abides] #6115961 01/03/16 02:29 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308

Thanks. I too fully support both concealed and open carry, just use common sense.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6116372 01/03/16 07:21 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
The Gun Legislation forum is moving to toopencarryornot.com.

Please update your bookmarks,
Management

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6116414 01/03/16 07:56 PM
L
Luke27 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Real talk, Im a fat man. My pants and muffin top are not designed to have anything inside my waistband. During the winter my jacket is providing concealment. During the summer I usually leave it in the car. Now I can still tastefully carry without having to buy some weird tacticool vest in the Texas heat. I support open carry

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6117859 01/04/16 04:19 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
I'm going to post this question and then sit back and watch the shoot out. My question is this: Why would you want to openly carry a pistol? My thought is that if you do and someone comes into a store that you are in to rob it, then you would be the first person that they target to shoot. In fact, my thought, to the bad guys it would be like you were wearing a target on your back and needed shooting. Wouldn't it be safer, for you, to carry your pistol concealed and have the opportunity of surprise when taking on the bad guys? Waiting for your thoughts popcorn

There are no statistics to support this happens. More likely a possible perp would leave and come back later when the risk is lower.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: beech96w] #6118228 01/04/16 08:29 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: beech96w
Seeing how I'm one chicken fried steak away from having a full IWB. OC allows for OWB carry without worrying about printing/flashing.

Isn't this be in violation of CC?? I would think that would be "intentional" exposure of a concealed handgun.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6118543 01/04/16 11:40 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Several places that I have gone to are already putting up "No Firearms" signs. After talking to both owners, the owners don't care that you conceal, they just don't want it carried openly in their store. Sure, the sign doesn't mean anything for a CHL, but that's not the point. You may get the open carry act to pass, but what good does it do if many places now ban you from coming in!! The open carry is a bad deal, and will cause more restrictions and people pushing back against open carry. It was really good as a CHL, and now it's day 4, and I'm seeing more signs being posted. So, WTF! How go is open carry now.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: ChadTRG42] #6118568 01/04/16 11:54 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Several places that I have gone to are already putting up "No Firearms" signs. After talking to both owners, the owners don't care that you conceal, they just don't want it carried openly in their store. Sure, the sign doesn't mean anything for a CHL, but that's not the point. You may get the open carry act to pass, but what good does it do if many places now ban you from coming in!! The open carry is a bad deal, and will cause more restrictions and people pushing back against open carry. It was really good as a CHL, and now it's day 4, and I'm seeing more signs being posted. So, WTF! How go is open carry now.

Some reports of people putting up 30.06 signs while putting up 30.07 signs

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: ChadTRG42] #6118896 01/05/16 02:43 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

Yo Chad you got it all wrong bro. I'm an operator and operators gotta operate. I mean, like now that OC is legal I am like totally legit when I suit up in all my 5.11 gear bro. I am currently dressed head to toe in full FDE and also have a full OD outfit as well. Now that I can wear my Glock and 2 extra mags on my person, I get mad respect everywhere I go. Granted I cant actually walk into a whole lot of places but I can totally walk around with my pistol on my hip, completely impressing people bro. I'm so stoked I already ordered a shoulder holster and drop thigh holster from Cheaper Than Dirt. Can anyone recommend a good tactical vest for winter????

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6119086 01/05/16 04:15 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
A couple of years ago I ran into one of my hunters filling a feeder deep in the pasture. He had a six-shooter on his hip that would make Wyatt Earp tremble in his boots. During our conversation, I asked him about his six-shooter.

"It's in case I run across a drug-crazed illegal!"

'Nuff said!

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Choctaw] #6119179 01/05/16 06:22 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

That's because officers already deal with the added attention that comes with a car, a badge, and a uniform.

If I choose to open carry, it's for the very same reason as any officer. I want it to be more easily available should I need to use it.

Also, studies have shown that BG's are far more fearful of the private citizen with a gun than a LEO. That's most likely because they know the citizen has more freedom to be the first to pull the trigger.

Two words come to mind when I consider those situations where I might choose to OC - isolated and alone.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Texas Dan] #6119228 01/05/16 12:08 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

That's because officers already deal with the added attention that comes with a car, a badge, and a uniform.

If I choose to open carry, it's for the very same reason as any officer. I want it to be more easily available should I need to use it.

Also, studies have shown that BG's are far more fearful of the private citizen with a gun than a LEO. That's most likely because they know the citizen has more freedom to be the first to pull the trigger.

Two words come to mind when I consider those situations where I might choose to OC - isolated and alone.

Can you please post links to said studies? Myself and others would appreciate it.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6119260 01/05/16 12:50 PM
S
six_anthonys Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
What he said "Real talk, Im a fat man. My pants and muffin top are not designed to have anything inside my waistband. During the winter my jacket is providing concealment. During the summer I usually leave it in the car. Now I can still tastefully carry without having to buy some weird tacticool vest in the Texas heat. I support open carry"

Thanks
6As
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: jeepercreeper] #6119347 01/05/16 01:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Can you please post links to said studies? Myself and others would appreciate it.

Link

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide