Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: changedmyname] #5999450 10/29/15 01:50 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Originally Posted By: passthru
I'm on the fence about getting one because I've seen and heard of too many dogs that are smart enough to know when the collar isn't on they can blow off commands without there being punishment. I don't want to do the conditioning if my dog is smart enough to go that route.

They were trained wrong then.

Really?? There's not a dog out there that doesn't know when the collar is off or on. They're not stupid.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: Angie B] #5999511 10/29/15 02:15 AM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Angie B
I'm on the fence about getting one because I've seen and heard of too many dogs that are smart enough to know when the collar isn't on they can blow off commands without there being punishment. I don't want to do the conditioning if my dog is smart enough to go that route.

Really?? There's not a dog out there that doesn't know when the collar is off or on. They're not stupid.

Angie

Hey, you're the pro.

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: Angie B] #5999642 10/29/15 03:12 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Angie B

Angie
Boom! Nail on the head.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #5999813 10/29/15 11:57 AM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Everything I ever read or was told was that you don't want your dog to become collar wise. Now I see they all are no matter what.

I'm not being a smartass though when I said you're the pro. You definitely know a lot more than me.

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #5999863 10/29/15 12:47 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Just because they are a pro doesn't mean they are never wrong. Not saying she's wrong here but just saying.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: changedmyname] #5999949 10/29/15 01:35 PM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Everything I ever read or was told was that you don't want your dog to become collar wise. Now I see they all are no matter what.

I'm not being a smartass though when I said you're the pro. You definitely know a lot more than me.

In my opinion, being collar wise or trial wise is an excuse people use for a poorly trained dog.

Robby

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: Birdhunter61] #6000875 10/29/15 11:33 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61

In my opinion, being collar wise or trial wise is an excuse people use for a poorly trained dog.

Robby
Or a really hard headed smart one.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #6000924 10/30/15 12:19 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Never seen that in the same dog.

Robby

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: bobcat1] #6001235 10/30/15 03:42 AM
L
Laser123 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
My 8 year old Lab is a completely different dog the minute I put the collar on.
I thought they were all that way because the are such smart dogs.
Most days I never hit the button but the second the collar comes off he gets selective hearing.

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #6001255 10/30/15 03:55 AM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I use a Sport Dog 425. I have used it for 3 years with my retriever with no issues. The collar and transmitter are small and lightweight. Expect to pay about $190.00 for it.

Jay

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: Birdhunter61] #6002449 10/30/15 10:29 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Never seen that in the same dog.

Robby
I had several. If they saw a deer and ran it I would shock them. Later on if by chance they did not have the collar on they would still chase it. If they had the collar on they would stand and watch it run. Coincidence.... maybe but I think not. Collarwise yes but still hard headed enough to do what they want when it's off. Now I don't know any other way to break a dog from chasing deer otherthan Hi Intensity electro stimulation. Do you? (And I'm not being a smart alec. Serious question)

Bobby Barnett

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #6002551 10/30/15 11:37 PM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I would do it the same as I would snake breaking a dog. You'd have to be around enough deer that you could get enough corrections in to teach them they don't want to be around deer.

Robby

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: Birdhunter61] #6002583 10/30/15 11:55 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A

Robby

Maybe for some... I know dogs can choose to be compliant or not with or without the collar.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #6002708 10/31/15 01:05 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I reiterate what I have stated before. It is better to have the dog want to do what you want it to do than to force it through threat of pain. I understand in FT or hunt situational training sometimes we must ask more of the dog than what they would normally willingly do. And coercion through whatever type of re enforcement you might call it, positive or negative, by causing or threatening pain is the accepted way to do it.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: passthru] #6002837 10/31/15 02:34 AM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I reiterate what I have stated before. It is better to have the dog want to do what you want it to do than to force it through threat of pain. I understand in FT or hunt situational training sometimes we must ask more of the dog than what they would normally willingly do. And coercion through whatever type of re enforcement you might call it, positive or negative, by causing or threatening pain is the accepted way to do it.

So do you think that the dog "wants" to bring the prey that he just worked hard to get back to you or does he "want" to take it to his den and eat it himself?

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #6002881 10/31/15 03:03 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I've been through Hillmann's puppy DVD and TRT. I can tell you right now that FF and the use of the e-collar are going to be my greatest challenges. I don't see anything wrong with the use of the e-collar though.

The desire to please is still there and when the dog knows what you want and does it how you want it you use the collar less and less.

I've decided on the camo version of the Dogtra Arc by the way.

Oh and "TRT2" was really good and I really enjoyed "Training a Retriever Puppy" and thought it was awesome.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #6003989 11/01/15 01:25 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I believe the dog does it out of the desire to please. A dog who gets satisfaction from praise and the bond between you and it tends to do what you want, including returning a downed bird. Much like we return to work on Monday after a paycheck on Friday because the reward keeps us going back for more. And if you are good at what you do and derive satisfaction from it the process becomes as crucial as the reward.

NRA Life Member
Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: passthru] #6004027 11/01/15 01:52 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I believe the dog does it out of the desire to please. A dog who gets satisfaction from praise and the bond between you and it tends to do what you want, including returning a downed bird. Much like we return to work on Monday after a paycheck on Friday because the reward keeps us going back for more. And if you are good at what you do and derive satisfaction from it the process becomes as crucial as the reward.

Are you the guy who always brags about his great dog and then finally gets to bring him along and he busts every covey and hunts for himself all day. After the hunt are you the guy that is still bragging on his dog talking about the drive he has to run all day. If you are I've hunted with you before.

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: scalebuster] #6004146 11/01/15 03:36 AM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

Are you the guy who always brags about his great dog and then finally gets to bring him along and he busts every covey and hunts for himself all day. After the hunt are you the guy that is still bragging on his dog talking about the drive he has to run all day. If you are I've hunted with you before.
roflmao roflmao roflmao

Bobby Barnett

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: passthru] #6004174 11/01/15 04:11 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B

Just like kids, if there is no fear of discipline, they will do the work as long as it suits them.

Robby

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: scalebuster] #6004235 11/01/15 09:43 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

I can see you are unable to participate in a discussion without using insults and snide remarks to try to be little someone so you can bully them into submission.

NRA Life Member
Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: Birdhunter61] #6004236 11/01/15 09:46 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Just like kids, if there is no fear of discipline, they will do the work as long as it suits them.

Robby

I cannot disagree with you here, and also understand the usefulness of the ecollar for training. However I don't agree with it being something my dog wears all the time. If I have a dog that unwilling to comply, maybe that dog isn't suited to the needs of the owner.

NRA Life Member
Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: passthru] #6004406 11/01/15 02:04 PM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
The modern (I have used the old ones) e-collar is a fabulous training tool. Though it can be strapped on a dog with years of disobedience in order to comply, it is a much more effective tool, when brought alongside other tools from the start. You have the leash, check cord, pinch collar, healing stick, e-collar, training partners, bird launchers, lots of birds, time, patience, etc.. They are all needed. Let's also remember, a lot of championship dogs were finished before the e-collar even existed. Personally, I have finished a number of pointers and retrievers without the use of a collar at all. It is not needed. With that said, I am a huge advocate of e-collars. The lightweight size of current e-collars and the variability of stimulation make it a great tool.

Example: though I still use check cords, the e-collar has allowed me to move off of check cords earlier and has made it safer for my dog when training. Having a retriever or pointer drag a long check cord is a necessity for a time, but a hassle and dangerous in the long run.

Decades ago "collar conditioning" was having a dog get use to the weight of the collar. I even remember some heavy shock collars came with a weighted dummy collar. Today, "collar conditioning" is much more. It is bringing it into all the commands (sit, here, fetch, etc..) - without the dog vocalizing I must add. Additionally, it is used as pressure not discipline, similar to applying pressure with a pinch collar until a dog sits (or whoa).

I realize this thread was originally about what to buy but saw it drift a bit.

My $0.02

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #6005680 11/02/15 02:48 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
As someone who has never used an e-collar how do you decide what level to use?

Start low and just gradually increase till you get a reaction?

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Another E - collar ? [Re: BradyBuck] #6005689 11/02/15 02:54 AM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Start low and just gradually increase till you get a reaction?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The guy that does the perfect start video said this

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide