J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Seems like cheating to me, but its legal.

I personally like the challenge of bow hunting

"cheating" implies there is some sort of competition going on...who are you competing with while hunting?

The deer

what is your bow of choice there Bill? a nice little 330fps compound? unless you are using your hands (or maybe throwing rocks) I'm pretty sure the deer is not gonna think its a very fair fight buddy.

its the same reason "LF guys" hate "HF guys," ego. you don't like someone getting props for killing a big deer if they did it "easier" than you did.

gold jacket, green jacket...

Last edited by jshouse; 10/07/15 01:38 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Choctaw] #5965597 10/07/15 01:34 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: kry226
I hunt with whatever the heck kind of legal weapon I take a notion to hunt with, and couldn't care less what the "better" hunter thinks of it. Having killed deer with every type of weapon I own (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, compound bow, crossBOW) except a pistol, I have never noticed a bit of difference in the rush of taking a deer based on the weapon I was using.

Run what you brung and mind your own business. Ain't America great? flag up

And there it is. up

dang right, run what you brung up

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: stxranchman] #5965614 10/07/15 01:42 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Wow what a can of worms I opened. I guess my lack of experience at the hunting lease over the areas has left me behind the times since I didnt realize the nuances.

This reminds me of the artificials vs live bait debate in fishing circles. Some look down on live baiters like it is cheating and I have to admit before I was a guide I was one of the artificial only snobs. Then I became a guide and realized that not everyone has the skills to go out once or twice a year and be proficient with artificials. SO I started throwing live bait also and you know what it is a lot of fun.

One thing I have noticed that it really is not cheating because it seems like I catch the same amount of fish one day using live shrimp as the next day when using arties.

Very helpful info like being much louder so needing to take shots under 25 yards and the weight issues and the ability not to get off another shot quickly.

I probably need to shoot both to understand more about what will be best for me.

Thanks guys for the info.

I personally think the "loud" talk about the crossbow is bs

Are crossbows loud? Yes

Do crossbows shoot faster than compounds? Many do

Are compounds loud? Mine certainly is

IMHO whitetail can hear both crossbows AND compounds at 50 yards or even farther so no real disadvantage to the crossbow.

Will a whitetail move faster because the crossbow makes more noise? I don't see it

Come shoot mine then. You will change your opinion quickly. My crossbow is much louder than my compound. Whitetail move faster because of the crossbow noise because they hear much quicker. Have you ever hunted with a crossbow?

I've never deer hunted with a crossbow, but have been in a pop up with someone who has. Killed plenty of coons with a crossbow.

So the more noise a particular bow makes the faster the deer reacts?

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: titan2232] #5965620 10/07/15 01:45 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Wow what a can of worms I opened. I guess my lack of experience at the hunting lease over the areas has left me behind the times since I didnt realize the nuances.

This reminds me of the artificials vs live bait debate in fishing circles. Some look down on live baiters like it is cheating and I have to admit before I was a guide I was one of the artificial only snobs. Then I became a guide and realized that not everyone has the skills to go out once or twice a year and be proficient with artificials. SO I started throwing live bait also and you know what it is a lot of fun.

One thing I have noticed that it really is not cheating because it seems like I catch the same amount of fish one day using live shrimp as the next day when using arties.

Very helpful info like being much louder so needing to take shots under 25 yards and the weight issues and the ability not to get off another shot quickly.

I probably need to shoot both to understand more about what will be best for me.

Are crossbows loud? Yes

IMHO whitetail can hear both crossbows AND compounds at 50 yards or even farther so no real disadvantage to the crossbow.

Will a whitetail move faster because the crossbow makes more noise? I don't see it

Come shoot mine then. You will change your opinion quickly. My crossbow is much louder than my compound. Whitetail move faster because of the crossbow noise because they hear much quicker. Have you ever hunted with a crossbow?

I've never deer hunted with a crossbow, but have been in a pop up with someone who has. Killed plenty of coons with a crossbow.

So the more noise a particular bow makes the faster the deer reacts?

Borrow that crossbow and take a shot at deer at 30 or 40 yards. Then post your opinion on hunting with one.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965650 10/07/15 01:59 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Should I use a standard red dot type scope or a laser? Shooting with no rest should be okay @ 30-40 yards huh?

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965654 10/07/15 02:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Use what ever sight you want and shot it with a rest or without. Kill a deer with a crossbow then you can post a truthful comment on hunting with one. We all know how quick a coon reacts to a shot compared to a whitetail. rolleyes

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965677 10/07/15 02:18 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
What are the pros and cons?

I like the idea of a crossbow personally but what say the hunting crowd?

Thinking about having one for next season

Well, Bigfoot, maybe amongst all the comments, you've been able to think about it enough to make a decision. There's as many pros and cons as there are people, because everyone has their own opinion. Personally, I enjoy hunting with a crossbow just as much as a compound. Crossbow enables me to set up low in a small pop-up blind which is nice in bad weather and in thick cover. Compound is much easier to use in a tripod(try cocking one while perched and you'll understand) and I prefer the openness and tripod height vantage point.

I fully support every hunting tool/method available. It's all about the recreation.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: titan2232] #5965698 10/07/15 02:28 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J

Are crossbows loud? Yes

Most crossbows are so much louder than compounds that the deer reaction is much more intense (both faster and more movement). Kind of like when someone startles a person - the louder the noise that startles them the more they react.

JR

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5965732 10/07/15 02:51 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
What are the pros and cons?

I like the idea of a crossbow personally but what say the hunting crowd?

Thinking about having one for next season

Both kill

One weighes a ton the other not as much. One isn't always fun to try to load quickly and shoot and unload.

Both take practice to be competent.

Pick one or both and have fun!!! Why we hunt anyway

up Well Said

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5966014 10/07/15 05:46 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I read this series with interest. I read nd participated in this same argument in the early 80's when Xbows were shooting in the 275 fps range and a blazing fast vertical bow was shooting 240fps with an overdraw and shooting knitting needles for arrows, most used those setups for 3D shooting (at homemade cardboard targets I might add). When hunting most went back to full length arrows and we were getting maybe 220 fps. There is a huge difference between between the trajectory of an arrow at 220 and 275. At the time I was stationed in ID and all hunting was on State or Fed property so no feeders, no established stands with known yardages and no Xbows during archery season. The flatter shooting Xbow was a big advantage when the speeds were as dissimilar as they were back then. The difference is no longer so pronounced. It also took a lot more work to shoot well out to longer yardages since arrow drop was much more pronounced. I'm sure my view is colored by my own experience so no I don't think Xbows belong in archery season, with the exception of those physically unable to draw a bow. However, as long as what you are doing is legal, enjoy it and don't worry about what I or anyone else thinks.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: stxranchman] #5966277 10/07/15 08:14 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Use what ever sight you want and shot it with a rest or without. Kill a deer with a crossbow then you can post a truthful comment on hunting with one. We all know how quick a coon reacts to a shot compared to a whitetail. rolleyes

I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow and surely don't need to hunt with one to try to prove how hard/easy it is. Hunting with a compound bow is harder hunting plain and simple.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: 7ARanch] #5966291 10/07/15 08:27 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
I read this series with interest. I read nd participated in this same argument in the early 80's when Xbows were shooting in the 275 fps range and a blazing fast vertical bow was shooting 240fps with an overdraw and shooting knitting needles for arrows, most used those setups for 3D shooting (at homemade cardboard targets I might add). When hunting most went back to full length arrows and we were getting maybe 220 fps. There is a huge difference between between the trajectory of an arrow at 220 and 275. At the time I was stationed in ID and all hunting was on State or Fed property so no feeders, no established stands with known yardages and no Xbows during archery season. The flatter shooting Xbow was a big advantage when the speeds were as dissimilar as they were back then. The difference is no longer so pronounced. It also took a lot more work to shoot well out to longer yardages since arrow drop was much more pronounced. I'm sure my view is colored by my own experience so no I don't think Xbows belong in archery season, with the exception of those physically unable to draw a bow. However, as long as what you are doing is legal, enjoy it and don't worry about what I or anyone else thinks.

Pretty much my experience, but I have a crossbow and presently hunt with it, and every deer I've killed using a compound or crossbow the result was the same.
I use the exact setup and shoot the same distance with the crossbow as I did with the compound and none of the deer cared which one I used.
All the other stuff, noise etc. doesn't matter as long as you are a good enough hunter to get the same positive results, then someone elses preference shouldn't make a bit of difference to anyone.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5966311 10/07/15 08:46 PM
W
wtjim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Bow, Crossbow, Rifle, Spear= HUNTING. I wish people would quit the "I hunt this way and I don't condone that way of hunting" attitude. Hunting is hunting and we all need to have a unified "hunting voice" instead of trying to split hairs on which way is better. I hunt all kind of ways and think each has the pro's and con's. Who cares how you hunt, as long as you hunt abiding by the rules and regulations. Now go hunt, kill something, post a picture on here and then eat it! Good luck!

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #5966340 10/07/15 09:03 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
So you use a recurve and cut your own arrows?
Seems like cheating to me, but its legal.

I personally like the challenge of bow hunting

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: titan2232] #5966375 10/07/15 09:52 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

Are crossbows loud? Yes

Spoken like someone that has never hunted with a crossbow and I see you admitted that in another post.

I hunted for years with a vertical bow. The very first deer I ever shot at with a vertical bow was when I was 14 years old and it was a old Doe at a whopping 8 yards. I missed her clean! Shot low right between her legs. You know what she did??? She walked off about 10 yards and then came right back to the same spot I just flung an arrow at her. The second shot found its mark. No way that would have happend had it been a crossbow I was using. The noise one makes would have sent her to the next county! I can make that statement because I have hunted with both.

Have seen the same thing happen on tons of hunting shows as well. Never seen it happen with a crossbow though. Heck I have even seen first hand where deer will run farther and faster from a crossbow than the sound of a rifle!! My theory on that is they are far more use to the sound of a rifle than a crossbow. But make no mistake about it........a deer cant string jump a bullet!

Call BS all you want about the noise they make and the way deer react to it. You have already admitted you have never hunted with one so your opinion doesn't hold much water.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: titan2232] #5966503 10/07/15 11:27 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow and surely don't need to hunt with one to try to prove how hard/easy it is. Hunting with a compound bow is harder hunting plain and simple*.

* "I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow"
Just wanted to make sure everyone will see this since you have never hunted whitetail with a crossbow but can tell everyone how much easier or harder it is.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5966524 10/07/15 11:39 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
If you can't practice regularly with a bow, you would be better off using a crossbow.

You still need to practice with the crossbow as well, but not as much practice is required to be a consistent shooter with the crossbow, mainly because of the muscles you need to build up to be a competent bow shooter.

As far as the pissing contest some want to make this into, ignore them. They are just people that feel the need to prove they are better than others because they're not happy with themselves.

Whatever means of legal hunting you like to do, you should do it and feel great about it. I haven't had the chance to try one hunting yet but I plan on using one in the future. Variety makes life more interesting for me. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5966533 10/07/15 11:45 PM
A
allterrain Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Any hunting is better than no hunting. All hunting is good, there is no better or worse weapon of choice, it is what you want to achieve, how much challenge you want, enjoy the time in the woods.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: stxranchman] #5967150 10/08/15 12:25 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow and surely don't need to hunt with one to try to prove how hard/easy it is. Hunting with a compound bow is harder hunting plain and simple*.

* "I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow"
Just wanted to make sure everyone will see this since you have never hunted whitetail with a crossbow but can tell everyone how much easier or harder it is.

Common sense tells me lifting a crossbow, looking through a scope, and pulling the trigger is completely different than operating a bow that must be drawn, anchored correctly, and leveled before a shot.

We'll just have to agree to disagree I suppose. It's not the same by any stretch, but hey if it's legal I'm good with any of it. Happy hunting

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5967464 10/08/15 03:54 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Traditional verses compound verses crossbow = a whole lot of nothing to do about nothing. Its all BS. A fallacy. I gave up my old Golden eagle compound in 93 for a chainsaw and drawknife to make my selfbows. I gave up the selfbow 5 years ago for a traditional longbow. I put my longbow up this summer for an elite synergy compound. I bought into my fellow primitive/traditional cries about how the compound and crossbow were the ruination of archery seasons. Then I wised up.I find it VERY entertaining that a modern compound shooter can stab crossbow shooters in the back. The old "you have to draw a compound" verses just aim a crossbow makes me shits and giggles. I can dam near "hold" my bow at full draw for a minute if I had to. Traditional guys still scream about that one.

Nothing has been ruined. I have no desire to hunt with a crossbow but have no problems with those that do. For the last 10 years I hunted with selfbows and longbows I had no problem with compound shooters. Hunting is a personal matter. What some guy is hunting with and over what in timbucktoo Tx is of no concern for the dude in walla walla ville USA. And vice versa.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5971595 10/11/15 02:47 PM
cheetah577 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
The main difference between the two is that you have to draw a bow once the deer is in range or close to being in range. This requires significant motion, whereas you only have to raise a crossbow to a shooting position and that can be done sooner and with less motion and held for much longer. Deer see motion well and particularly well at bow ranges. Also, shooting a bow does require a lot of practice to be proficient, where much less is required with a crossbow. Both are limited to about the same range.

I don't really view a crossbow as cheating because A)It's legal and B)I've seen enough guys either in a 25-30ft tree stand or in a pop-up/blind with a screen that both hide you while you draw, thus negating the draw argument. Plus, as pointed out above, it's another way to get people hunting. I like the extra season for that as well; more hunters = up

+1

God bless John Wayne!
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: JCB] #5972423 10/12/15 12:51 AM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: JCB
you would be a fool to try and take an animal at those kind of ranges just because you can accurately shoot a target at those ranges.

Like Craig Morgan, when he shot a deer (or was it an antelope?) at around 100 yards? shocked I don't really care anymore that Xbows are allowed in the archery season anymore. But at the time the Xbow manufacturers were lobbying for it, I don't know why they didn't ask for a season after the general season was over. This would have extended the season. Is there anyone who wouldn't think this was a better alternative? I saw it as a lost opportunity.

Now, what should YOU do? Consider the points made here (mostly the practice issue), decide on one and buy it. Shooting them both first would probably be a wise decision. Good luck and happy hunting. up

Pablo

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5972938 10/12/15 11:32 AM
L
LAG - CW Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
I was stationed in Maryland for 4 years. The archery season was 6 months long. I could kill 6 bucks and 30 does on base, and also kill another 6 bucks and 30 does in the county.
Needless to say, I have killed a bunch of animals with a recurve and compound. Shot compeition when not on stand.

With that said, the accuracy of a crossbow will provide a more accurate clean kill in the hands of a novice. I'm glad they are legal. Until you have seen guys bring in bucks that have 5-6 arrows hanging out of them from not praticing with a traditional bow, its hard to imagine. If you do not have time to pratice, buy a crossbow.

I'm all about a clean kill.

Clint Wright
USN / USMC
1st Marine Division
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5972998 10/12/15 12:45 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Safety's another thing to consider:

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Recall Summary
Name of product:

Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 Crossbows
Hazard:

The crossbow can fire an arrow without the trigger being pulled, posing an injury hazard to the user and to bystanders.

Remedy:
View Details

Repair
Consumer Contact:

Excalibur Crossbow at (800) 463-1817 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.excaliburcrossbow.com and click on “Important Safety Notice for Matrix 405 Owners” for more information.

https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Excalibur-Recalls-Crossbows/

Scary! eek2

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: DonPablo] #5973147 10/12/15 02:33 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: DonPablo
Safety's another thing to consider:

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Recall Summary
Name of product:

Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 Crossbows
Hazard:

The crossbow can fire an arrow without the trigger being pulled, posing an injury hazard to the user and to bystanders.

Remedy:
View Details

Repair
Consumer Contact:

Excalibur Crossbow at (800) 463-1817 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.excaliburcrossbow.com and click on “Important Safety Notice for Matrix 405 Owners” for more information.

https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Excalibur-Recalls-Crossbows/

Scary! eek2

Yeah, and I bet nobody ever dropped the string or hit a release in the middle of drawing a compound. rolleyes

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide