Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5915361 09/06/15 05:58 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
X2

Pistol whippings would increase 10 fold

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Game Wardens [Re: Paluxy] #5915471 09/06/15 07:34 PM
J
jab3006 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Hancock
To the OP, best I can tell DPS is playing catchup to GW pay. Not a bad pay scale.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/trainingacademy/recruiting/benefits.htm

GW, DPS, OIG, TABC, and I believe now Investigators with the AG office are all on schedule C pay scale. DPS has gone to a 50 hour work week, 10 hours a week of overtime. I think the pay scale is showing the overtime built in, but not sure. I am schedule c and there was no big raise this session, other than 2.5% to offset the 2.6% up in our retirement contribution. Been talk of dps getting on a different Salary schedule but did not hear of it passing this year.

Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5915476 09/06/15 07:41 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Good raises but I wonder how much health insurance went up

Re: Game Wardens [Re: txtrophy85] #5915495 09/06/15 07:57 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
How in the hell are yall comparing teachers and Leo's?

I'm sorry, teachers arnt pulling over drunks, pursuing burglers and other assorted felons and putting their lives out there every day

Do you live in Mayberry? I guess I sort of do. However, big city high school teachers put their unarmed lives on the line every day. They get physically attacked. There was a story about an elderly bus driver attacked just recently. We have all seen the stories on the news.

Re: Game Wardens [Re: jab3006] #5915526 09/06/15 08:23 PM
S
silentex Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: jab3006
Originally Posted By: Hancock
To the OP, best I can tell DPS is playing catchup to GW pay. Not a bad pay scale.

http://www.dps.texas.gov/trainingacademy/recruiting/benefits.htm

GW, DPS, OIG, TABC, and I believe now Investigators with the AG office are all on schedule C pay scale. DPS has gone to a 50 hour work week, 10 hours a week of overtime. I think the pay scale is showing the overtime built in, but not sure. I am schedule c and there was no big raise this session, other than 2.5% to offset the 2.6% up in our retirement contribution. Been talk of dps getting on a different Salary schedule but did not hear of it passing this year.

Our retirement contribution (TMRS) went up to 7% a few years ago. It took a chunk out of our pay but it has made ALL the difference in my retirement figures . . . Even though that's a whole 30 years away.

Justin H.

NSC: Firearms & Hunting Supplies
Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5915548 09/06/15 08:49 PM
J
jab3006 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I think it puts ours at 9+%, and will be worth it. 9 years 10 months 6 days 8 hours and 12 minutes from now! But who is counting?

Re: Game Wardens [Re: DannyB] #5915552 09/06/15 08:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: DannyB
How in the hell are yall comparing teachers and Leo's?

I'm sorry, teachers arnt pulling over drunks, pursuing burglers and other assorted felons and putting their lives out there every day

Do you live in Mayberry? I guess I sort of do. However, big city high school teachers put their unarmed lives on the line every day. They get physically attacked. There was a story about an elderly bus driver attacked just recently. We have all seen the stories on the news.

Really? Your really gonna compare them?

I used to get in fights as a painter at work but it's not even in the same league as cops

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Game Wardens [Re: txtrophy85] #5915817 09/07/15 12:43 AM
T
txsrig Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
[quote=txtrophy85]How in the hell are yall comparing teachers and Leo's?

Really? Your really gonna compare them?

I used to get in fights as a painter at work but it's not even in the same league as cops

You used to get in fights as a painter at work and this makes you better than anyone? Another internet tough guy....

Re: Game Wardens [Re: RedRanger] #5915909 09/07/15 01:48 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: RedRanger
I'm as pro-LEO as anyone, and believe they should get paid well. However, our educators are about I think, at the last ranking I saw, second from the bottom in the country on the pay scale. That is just wrong!

Still overpaid, They get 3 months off for summer and every holiday known to man off also.

If you can't work, then teach........
Shows your lack of knowledge. My wife gets to the school 1 1/2 hrs before school and doesn't leave until after 5 every day. She does parent teacher conferences during her lunch. She also does about 2 weeks of training is the summer. She works about 10 hrs a day during the week and spends half a day at the school on sunday preparing for the week. She doesn't make nearly enough for the hours she works and crap she has to put up with from the admin and parents.

Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5915919 09/07/15 01:52 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: silentex
Does anyone know if TPWD was lucky enough to get the same new pay schedule that TxDPS got? The Trooper's new pay scale is pretty dang nice!

Yes they did.

Re: Game Wardens [Re: SapperTitan] #5915944 09/07/15 02:02 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My wife taught for a few years after she got out of college. They started her at $46k a year. She worked about 45-50 hours a week 36 weeks of the year and maybe a dozen 12 hour days for UIL competitions on the weekends. My first "real" job offer out of college was with DoD as a Federale getting paid $38k working 50+ hours a week on the border. It had been a dream of mine for a long time to be a federal agent and the hiring process was almost 2 years long... I kept my bartending job.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Game Wardens [Re: RedRanger] #5915987 09/07/15 02:27 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I'm as pro-LEO as anyone, and believe they should get paid well. However, our educators are about I think, at the last ranking I saw, second from the bottom in the country on the pay scale. That is just wrong!

Still overpaid, They get 3 months off for summer and every holiday known to man off also.

That is one of the dumbest dang post I have ever seen on here RumpRanger!!! Teachers are way underpaid and your a total shipdit for posting this!

Re: Game Wardens [Re: HWY_MAN] #5915988 09/07/15 02:28 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: Old Rabbit
bigbob, you do work overtime for free don't you. My wife leaves for school at 6:30 AM and get home after 5:30 PM week days and we only live 5 minutes from the school. She spends almost every Saturday and Sunday at the school and brings work home and does it till bed time every day. She buys school supplies and snacks for the kids that parents are too sorry or poor just to give the kids a chance. That does not even count the paper and ink for the home printer for the work sheets that the school wont provide for. Summers are spent getting next years stuff ready and cleaning up the electronic gadgets and other stuff.

But on the bright side the school is rated exemplary due to the teachers work.

Many jobs are hard, and many jobs require sacrifices. Teaching is certainly challenging, but it is not uniquely so. I believe we have to add total compensation into the equation, Retirement benefits and job security has monetary value.

Quote:
According to data derived from the Bureau of Labor Statistics American Time Use Survey, large percentages of teachers self-report that they do no work during the summer months. Now the argument has been made that since teachers spend time grading, developing lesson plans and so on after hours, this extra time more than compensates for the extended breaks during the summer months. But as the data shows, teachers themselves report that they typically spend 40 hours or less working during the average week – hardly the grueling schedule that they claim to have. While exceptions certainly exist, on average, a teacher’s work schedule is no more demanding in terms of hours than those of many other professionals.

http://buckeyeinstitute.org/the-liberty-...mpensated-time/

My mom is a retired teacher 30+ years and have a cousin that's been in about 15 years. Both say they are/were paid well for time worked. Sure everyone would like to get paid more but the good school districts do pay well for time worked. Of course the lower paid schools will get the less experienced teachers and make less...that's true with any profession. My mom always said that if she thought she was so underpaid she would have taken a different job that paid more.

Re: Game Wardens [Re: RedRanger] #5916097 09/07/15 03:28 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

This is complete NONSENSE. My wife chose education because she has a passion for it knowing full well pay wasnt all that great. When i first met her i thought 3 months off and 8-5. Well after being married to an educator i see how ignorant i was. FIRST, SHE GETS TO WORK AT 7AM AND DOESNT LEAVE UNTIL AFTER 5PM WITH A 30 MIN LUNCH. SECOND, SHES ONLY OFF FOR 6 WEEKS. LASTLY, TO DO WHAT SHE DOES WITH ALL THE BS RESTRICTIONS AND RED TAPE THESE DAYS YOU COULDNT PAY ME ENOUGH. MAYBE THE KIDS YOU ARE EXPOSED TO ARE GREAT KIDS, BUT THE VAST MAJORITY MY WIFE WORKS WITH ARE F@CKING HELL ON 2 LEGS. I RATHER WORK WITH A BUNCH OF RACIST, SPITEFUL, PISSED OFF ROUGHNECKS, WITH LITTLE SLEEP, WORKING 18HR DAYS, LIVING OUT OF A PICKUP, EATING ALLSUPS THAN DEAL WITH KIDS IN SCHOOL THESE DAYS. IT IS NOT AN EASY JOB.

Just remember teachers are an integral part of how this country will be in the future. MOST who do it for a job quit within a few years because almost any job with a select few professions is easier than teaching.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Game Wardens [Re: General Guts] #5916112 09/07/15 03:40 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: General Guts

I bet $100.00 you would not last in a room full of 1st graders...No swearing, threatening or touching... you just have to take it ...

Make it Special Ed and I would bet 95 out of 100 couldn't cut it for a month.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5916141 09/07/15 04:04 AM
W
wtjim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Did you know that the Trooper work week is 50 hours? It is called AUO automatic, unavoidable overtime that is built in to the salary. The month long border rotation isn't a walk in the park. Away from family and working more than 50 hours a week out of your car and hotel. Just ask one what all they do behind the scenes. Same with Teachers who do an immeasurable amount of preparation to help our kids succeed. Both deserve more IMO.

Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5916596 09/07/15 04:25 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
They couldn't pay me enough to do either job!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5917065 09/07/15 10:34 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Also, kids don't carry much cash, the bribes usually suck.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Game Wardens [Re: bigbob_ftw] #5917287 09/08/15 12:30 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Yup. They get paid well for time worked.

Over paid? Obviously you guys are not teachers and do not know what you are talking about! Just because the kids are out for three months doesn't mean the teachers are out for three months. My wife is a teacher and she works 12 hour days during the school year along with spending even longer hours during school functions. On top of that she has a ton of training she has to complete during the summer. Then she has to deal with the idiotic government sticking their nose into everything which screws everything up. Then you have to deal with Admin. Then you have to deal with children that are totally undisciplined. They aren't disciplined at home and because of fear of being sued the school doesn't allow the teachers to discipline them class. They've rolled mentally handicapped children in the classrooms which the teachers have to deal with which totally disrupt the classrooms. My wife has had one of these students literally throw a desk at her and hit her and the school didn't removed him from her class. The documentation has to be utterly over the top to get a child removed all the while the other children's education pays the price because these children require so much attention. And I can go on and on!

So before you start talking about how they are over paid maybe you need to go spend a week in some of these classrooms!

Re: Game Wardens [Re: Mike Honcho] #5917293 09/08/15 12:32 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: jorge

This is complete NONSENSE. My wife chose education because she has a passion for it knowing full well pay wasnt all that great. When i first met her i thought 3 months off and 8-5. Well after being married to an educator i see how ignorant i was. FIRST, SHE GETS TO WORK AT 7AM AND DOESNT LEAVE UNTIL AFTER 5PM WITH A 30 MIN LUNCH. SECOND, SHES ONLY OFF FOR 6 WEEKS. LASTLY, TO DO WHAT SHE DOES WITH ALL THE BS RESTRICTIONS AND RED TAPE THESE DAYS YOU COULDNT PAY ME ENOUGH. MAYBE THE KIDS YOU ARE EXPOSED TO ARE GREAT KIDS, BUT THE VAST MAJORITY MY WIFE WORKS WITH ARE F@CKING HELL ON 2 LEGS. I RATHER WORK WITH A BUNCH OF RACIST, SPITEFUL, PISSED OFF ROUGHNECKS, WITH LITTLE SLEEP, WORKING 18HR DAYS, LIVING OUT OF A PICKUP, EATING ALLSUPS THAN DEAL WITH KIDS IN SCHOOL THESE DAYS. IT IS NOT AN EASY JOB.

Just remember teachers are an integral part of how this country will be in the future. MOST who do it for a job quit within a few years because almost any job with a select few professions is easier than teaching.

You gotta it right and you really haven't even scratched the surface!

Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5917685 09/08/15 03:38 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
iregardless of the profession just do a general search for applications trying to get into a field of work. Some folks will take on a line of work for the love of it but for the most part the work involved verses the pay involved dictates things. I'm refering to folks who have somewhat of a clue about their carrers and not the folks who take any job just to make ends meet. Alot depends on where you want this job. Being a cop in Dallas is not quite as populour as being a cop in Frisco. Throw teachers in that same example also. Today I own a metal roofing company. Spent years 20 -30 up on the roofs. I rarely saw a white/black guy applying for those jobs. I made good money though. Its all hispanic today. But a young white or black man with a strong work ethic could make ALOT of money in the metal roofing business today running a crew. But they don't want that job.....to dam hard in the summers. High tech age we live in almost demands they stay out of construction. But their wooses today also.

Now go do your research. Its not rocket science.

Re: Game Wardens [Re: Deerhunter61] #5917709 09/08/15 03:57 AM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I also have a wife who is a teacher, and I also believe that they are underpaid... First off, my wife has been working as a teacher for 10 years. She makes about $2000 more than a brand new teacher. There is no incentive for longevity... 1/3 of all new teachers quit after three years, and 46% are gone within 5 years per the NEA. If the job paid so well for the time worked, the turnover wouldn't be so high.

Second, I make a whole lot more money than my wife, and I only have a two year degree. If you compare my total compensation package to my wife's, I easily make three times as much as she does. Go take a look at the insurance for TEA employees. It sucks! It would cost about 1/3rd of my wife's paycheck to insure our family, and it is less coverage with higher deductibles than I have.

I have several friends who are police officers... not a single one of them seem to be underpaid. Most of them have side gigs that pay more than teaching on an hourly basis!

Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5917718 09/08/15 04:15 AM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Glad DPS got a raise. How did the teacher slam get thrown in there so quickly? My mother was a teacher, she only worked 72 hr weeks for about 10.5 months out of the year. Got to drop down to 40-50 hr week the other 1.5 mo. Took almost 30 yrs of teaching to get to a retirement income that is acceptable. She never bitched that I heard. I knew the sacrifices she made. There are tons of her students (including myself) that have a much better business skill set than they would have gotten from a teacher that didn't care. The only problem she ever had was shitty unappreciative parents that did a piss poor job of teaching their own children respect.

Last edited by westexhunt; 09/08/15 01:09 PM.
Re: Game Wardens [Re: silentex] #5917742 09/08/15 05:28 AM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I don't have much of an opinion on whether teachers are overpaid or underpaid, but I will point out most supporting them are teachers themselves or have close family that are teachers. I imagine putting up with snot nose kids can be tough, but time off and the pay grade seems "reasonable".

Two of my better friends wives are teachers and they DO have it made. They probably don't put the effort into it that a lot of others do though. They teacher pre-k so how hard could it be? Throw so crayons at em and make sure they don't eat glue sticks

roflmao

Re: Game Wardens [Re: titan2232] #5917797 09/08/15 11:26 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: titan2232
I don't have much of an opinion on whether teachers are overpaid or underpaid, but I will point out most supporting them are teachers themselves or have close family that are teachers. I imagine putting up with snot nose kids can be tough, but time off and the pay grade seems "reasonable".

Two of my better friends wives are teachers and they DO have it made. They probably don't put the effort into it that a lot of others do though. They teacher pre-k so how hard could it be? Throw so crayons at em and make sure they don't eat glue sticks

roflmao

Maybe that's because they know firsthand about the facts/demands of teaching, instead of just spewing crap on a keyboard.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide