Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Divers or Puddlers [Re: redonthehead] #586041 02/06/09 08:21 PM
F
Fester Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Quote:

Are the mergansser's in the same family of the ducks?

Merganssers are not ducks they are merganssers.

Re: Divers or Puddlers [Re: FowlDreams] #586042 02/07/09 04:38 AM
B
bluewingwidowmaker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
ive got a couple gwt, pintail, can, woodie, had a redhead(sister's dog ate it) i want the hooded merganser and the bwt in my freezer mounted. and lookin forward to a wigeon and cinn eventually but with seasons like this past one it doesnt look like it'll be anytime soon

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."
Re: Divers or Puddlers [Re: bluewingwidowmaker] #586043 02/07/09 05:00 PM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
_
I got a full plumed widgeon (baldpate) at the taxi now... I guess I agree with Marc, all ducks are cool looking in their own way. I'm not much for getting the birds moounted, but when I saw the widgeon I shot and the condition it was in- I thought "how could I not get this mounted?" It looked like it died from a heart attack, and with my shooting lately... It probably was! It's all about how it looks after the shot- a perfect specimen Gadwall is going to make a better mount than a shot-up, dog-chewed, laid-in-the-mud drake woodie, Buffie, Can or pintail any day!

Wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as fast as I could.
Re: Divers or Puddlers [Re: _Scooter_] #586044 02/08/09 04:23 AM
I
immortal13 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
got a gorgeous barrows goldeneye and the taxi right now. can't wait

Re: Divers or Puddlers [Re: FowlDreams] #586045 02/08/09 08:47 AM
S
sonofagun Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S

I have a woody, cinnamon, and bufflehead on the wall(well the woody is on a shelf, and the buffie is hanging from the cieling). I have a widg and a mallard at the taxi right now. A pintail is the highest on my list. I have shot plenty of them, but I want one with a real trophy sprig so that might be a while. Unless I get that trophy a greenwing is probably next, and I would like to go to the coast and get a full plummed bluewing too. Eventually I would like to have at least one of all the more common species including divers, and hopefully some of the more exotic ones(to us in TX) like harlequins and eiders. I plan on getting a mount done each year till that happens. I missed last year though, so that's why I did 2 this year. I'm also trying to take them all from different lakes or properties.

I know what you are talking about. I have been doing this for years and have to date on my walls....widgeon, gadwall, mallard, 2 wood ducks, bluewing and greenwing teal, pintail, redhead, canvasback drake and hen, hooded merganser, specklebelly gooses, ross goose, greater canada goose and a brant. I took them all from different places and there is a story behind each one. Don't have a full plumage spoonie yet but missed my chance the last week of season this year. Oh well, he isn't on my wall but there is still a great story there as I was taking a 10 year old duck hunting for the first time and I gave him the shot at it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide