Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Went autoloader shotgun shopping. #581462 02/01/09 05:28 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
I was on my way home from my old stomping grounds in Louisiana and I decided to swing buyt BPS Bossier and look at shotguns. I looked at the Franchi I 12, The Browning Silver,the Wincheser SX3, the Remington 1187, and last but certainly not least the Benelli SBEII. I just wish I could go out and shoot these badboys before making a purchase. I like the Browning Silver and the SBEII the best and the Franchi and the Winchester came in second to these two. I absoulutley didn't like anything about the Remington 1187 it was heavy and just felt big a bulky in my hands. The Franchi and the Browning are at the top of my list right now and I really want to revisit the Winchester. The SBEII would be my list topper "period" but it's just a lot more than I want to spend. I'm hoping to go back this summer and purchase one of these. Like I said before, I wish I could go out shoot these shotguns before I spend the money. It sure would be nice to burn about 10 rounds through each of them at the sporting clays range. One other thing, they are offering 12 months no interest financing right now on all gun purchases.

Last edited by jeh7mmmag; 02/01/09 06:49 PM.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: lakewaydr50] #581463 02/01/09 05:42 AM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Sounds like you should get the SBEII...I really dont think the cost difference is enough to justify not getting it. Sure it's $500 more than most of those but really...two years down the road is that money going to matter or are you going to be kicking yourself that you didnt sack up and get what you really want?

I could see if the SBEII was 3k...most of us would have to settle for something else.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: Marcstar] #581464 02/01/09 06:33 AM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Browning A-5, nothing better. Wish I had one.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: spanky] #581465 02/01/09 07:21 AM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

X2. Ours is over 50 yrs old and shoots better than any other s/a in this house.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: spanky] #581466 02/01/09 07:59 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Quote:

I've got one that is just to old and pretty to be put out there in the rough enviroment of the waterfowl world. My son shoots it in sporting clays competition. I've been watching gunbroker.com for a 3 " magnum version with a choke tube barrel 28" or better.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: spanky] #581467 02/01/09 01:37 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Quote:

They are wonderful guns and I grew up shooting two of them. But they are simply outdated when it comes to waterfowl. I would not put 1 round of steel through mine. They were not designed for steel shot. My cousin kept shooting steel in his and acorn-ed the barrel.
I shoot mine for dove and that is it. I will post a pic f the one I still have sometimes. It is very odd indeed having a monte carlo stock. It is sweet, it drives itself all you do is pull the trigger.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: wal1809] #581468 02/01/09 02:51 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Quote:

Quote:

They are wonderful guns and I grew up shooting two of them. But they are simply outdated when it comes to waterfowl. I would not put 1 round of steel through mine. They were not designed for steel shot. My cousin kept shooting steel in his and acorn-ed the barrel.
I shoot mine for dove and that is it. I will post a pic f the one I still have sometimes. It is very odd indeed having a monte carlo stock. It is sweet, it drives itself all you do is pull the trigger.

ditto, but I'm having an ejectin issue with mine..guess I need a good gunsmith

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: TreeBass] #581469 02/01/09 07:05 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Buds gun shop has a max 4 Urika2 for 985 right now.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: TreeBass] #581470 02/01/09 07:18 PM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

How would one of these A-5's do with an aftermarket barrel?? I was told by some one a while back that the barrels that fit the generation that followed the A-5(invector???)would fit these A-5's.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: lakewaydr50] #581471 02/01/09 07:23 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
good question, something to think about

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping. [Re: lakewaydr50] #581472 02/01/09 08:41 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I know you listed them in the order of prefrance, but which one threw the best?

And did you check out the Berretta?

cbump has pointed you to one heck of a deal, if that gun fit you.

[Linked Image]
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping. [Re: Hopedale] #581473 02/02/09 12:38 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
I think they had a Berretta, but I never thought about looking at it, mainly because I haven't really read anything about it. I have a friend the shoots one of their custom over and under trap and skeet guns and he loves it. It has multiple barrels and what appears to me to be mahogany wood stock and forearm, all in a custom hardshell carrying case. I think he give about $4k for it. I have actually put about a half a box of ammo through this thing and its hard to miss with it.
I guess the one that threw the best was the Browning Silver. It gave the feeling of being a lot lighter than the others. If it really was or not is a whole 'nother animal, because engineers can do really weird things with balance and make things seem lighter than they are. Weight is something that is definately going to be a factor in my purchase because right now I have to pack in. There is also the possibility that I may have a duck boat before next season and if I do that I'm not going to worry about weight so much, but then again if we don't get some major rain between now and next season here @ Barney everyone that hunts here will be packing in including me.

Last edited by lakewaydr50; 02/02/09 02:01 AM.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping. [Re: lakewaydr50] #581474 02/02/09 01:53 AM
C
cometdog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I would go REVISIT that sx3 again...

Watermarks welcomes Haileys Comet
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping. [Re: cometdog] #581475 02/02/09 05:25 AM
1fastduckunit Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
hold off till the new browning auto comes out seen a youtube clip on it. that the thing looks good

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping. [Re: 1fastduckunit] #581476 02/02/09 05:42 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Quote:

hold off till the new browning auto comes out seen a youtube clip on it. that the thing looks good

I've seen it and that is one of the reasons I'm probably going to hold of until this summer to do anything. I need to but back a few bucks to get it done as well.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: Marcstar] #581477 02/02/09 06:59 AM
F
Frisbie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Quote:

Sounds like you should get the SBEII...I really dont think the cost difference is enough to justify not getting it. Sure it's $500 more than most of those but really...two years down the road is that money going to matter or are you going to be kicking yourself that you didnt sack up and get what you really want?

I could see if the SBEII was 3k...most of us would have to settle for something else.

+1

Sales Manager: Drake Waterfowl Clothing
www.tightlinesandbigtines.com
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: lakewaydr50] #581478 02/02/09 03:23 PM
T
TrinityBoatWorks Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Quote:

How would one of these A-5's do with an aftermarket barrel?? I was told by some one a while back that the barrels that fit the generation that followed the A-5(invector???)would fit these A-5's.

3" on 3"
2 3/4" on 2 3/4"

Belgium or Japanese, doesn't matter

I have Invector + barrels for all my A5's, all the way down to 1926

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: TreeBass] #581479 02/02/09 05:13 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Check the stainless and brass grab rings on the magazine tube. Clean them and use a product from Walmart called Tri-Flow. Make sure the rings are set right for the shells your using. If that doesn't fix it then you can clean the upper and that should do it.

Mine got to the point it would allow the fire pin to strike the primer. I thought I had a busted hammer. Turns out the gun was as dirty as a 1950 farm plow. Still shoots like a dream after a good cleaning.

For those who the girls find sexy but not very handy, use a didital camera and take a photo log of every part you remove. That is what I did with the wiring and the power head assembly on my fishing boat.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping. [Re: lakewaydr50] #581480 02/02/09 05:30 PM
M
Marcstar Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Quote:

Quote:

I've seen it and that is one of the reasons I'm probably going to hold of until this summer to do anything. I need to but back a few bucks to get it done as well.

I'm someone that is a little wary about getting something that is a brand new model. I'd wait a year until I got a Maxus. Find out what the users are saying about it first. If there are any buggy issues with it hopefully you will find out and maybe they will correct them.

I remember when the new Remington 105Cti came out a few years back. It looked awesome and was a really neat design...shells ejected from the bottom. Anyway lots of people had problems with theirs when they first came out...I think Remington got them all fixed after a while and the new ones were fine but I guess the first few batches of guns were not perfect.

So this makes me think if you want to wait until the maxus comes out you should go ahead and wait a year or so.

Originally Posted By: wal1809
Dear Lord please bullwhip me for saying this but I agree, Marcstar is in the lead. Please nobody use this as a quote!!!
Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping. [Re: Marcstar] #581481 02/02/09 08:40 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Beretta

The Urika2 is the most popular autoloader among people who shoot competitive clays and they put a LOT of shells through those guns.

IMHO the Beretta Xtrema2 is at least as good a gun as the Benelli SBE II. I like the Xtrema2 better because it is a gas operated gun. It will cycle target loads and 3.5" magnum goose loads without any adjustments to the gun. I shot about 20 boxes through it this year from 7/8 oz #8 1200fps up to 3" 1oz #2 1560fps and I only had one failure to eject and I think there was some dried mud on the brass that caught it up in the ejection port.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: TreeBass] #581482 02/03/09 02:04 AM
T
TrinityBoatWorks Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Quote:

ditto, but I'm having an ejection issue with mine..guess I need a good gunsmith

Download this manual:

Browning Auto-5 Field Service Manual

Then buy these from Brownell's before you do any tear down work:

Grace 5 piece Browning Screwdriver set

#565 Starret Pin Punch Set

Find you a nice quiet corner to work on it, tear it completely down and clean it. I tore one down that I bought used, it still had cosmoline inside from the factory and it had been going strong for 19 years, just developed a little hiccup on real cold mornings. I am not a fan of Tri-Flo, Rem-Oil, Rusty Duck, and several others, I was turned on to Strike Hold:

Strike Hold vendor

Strike Hold Home Page

The stuff is amazing, it works like it says, spray on, wipe dry, and you have an invisible layer of protection. I was a big believer in several products, now I am a believer in 2, Hoppes #9 and Strike Hold.

Don't let the gun intimidate you, once you have done it, the complete tear down, you will do it all the time.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: TrinityBoatWorks] #581483 02/03/09 02:33 AM
W
WBT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Unless you're a goose hunter, check the Benelli M2 out. It's a couple of hundred less than the SBEII and is a great gun. I bought one a few years back and have never regretted it.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: TrinityBoatWorks] #581484 02/03/09 07:07 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Why are you not a fan of Tri-Flo. It is the only oil that works on my Browning Gold Hunter. The gas piston is heck on the mag tiube and I have to wire brush the tube after every hunt or it will start to hang up after a while. Tri-Flo is the only thing that makes it smooth as owl poop.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: wal1809] #581485 02/04/09 02:31 AM
N
Nate76 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
As WBT mentioned, check out the other Benelli if you like the SBE II so much. I don't remember if the M2 was the one, but I was told that there is another Benelli equivalent to the SBE II except that it can't shoot the 3.5" shells. I think most folks contend that you don't need 3.5" shells for ducks - I think that might be what WBT meant about goose hunting.
You also might check for a used SBE II - they come around every so often - a friend just bought one for $1050 that is in very good shape.

Re: Went autoloader shotgun shopping........................ [Re: Nate76] #581486 02/04/09 02:44 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
L
Quote:

As WBT mentioned, check out the other Benelli if you like the SBE II so much. I don't remember if the M2 was the one, but I was told that there is another Benelli equivalent to the SBE II except that it can't shoot the 3.5" shells. I think most folks contend that you don't need 3.5" shells for ducks - I think that might be what WBT meant about goose hunting.
You also might check for a used SBE II - they come around every so often - a friend just bought one for $1050 that is in very good shape.

That would definately be more in my price range. I'll probably always shoot 3 inch rounds and may eventually have to back down to 2-3/4. I shot 3 inch #2 Remington Nitro's loaded at 1-3/8 ounce the last weekend of the season and I guess I damaged my right shoulder some how. It's still soar.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide