Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Jicarilla Elk Hunt [Re: Beaubien] #5811268 06/30/15 02:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Beaubien
I have never killed an elk so I am sure you are right, I will be in heaven.

I have heard that the Rez is a sovereign nation and to be careful . I will definitely do that.

I will be sure to take pictures and pass along.

Federal government always has last say with them, but they don't intervene much... Assuming they pay their BLM lease fees lol.

Just watch your P's and Q's and you won't have any issues. When it comes to monster elk the Reservations have it figured out. I'd bring a camera for sure. You are likely to see some studs

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Jicarilla Elk Hunt [Re: jdickey] #5811824 06/30/15 08:20 PM
Beaubien Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: jdickey
People cull 8X8 there!
Beautiful country.
Be sure you eat at EL BRUNO'S in Cuba. Great Mexican food and a bunch of it!

I have eaten there a few times. I travel through there on business regularly. Great place.

The guide was 200 a day.

Re: Jicarilla Elk Hunt [Re: dawaba] #5811849 06/30/15 08:35 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: dawaba
The Jicarilla is known for the quantity of its elk, rather than the quality. A 300-310 bull is probably average, and a 340 would be a top-end trophy. Hunters on other reservations, like the Mescallero, White Mountain, and Hualapai will look over much better bulls. A quick glance at pricing reflects that reality. The OP on his cow hunt will find himself in elk heaven, because he'll see hundreds of animals the very first morning. I bet he'll be blown away by the experience.

The first two bull elk I ever shot were taken nearby. The first was on the Theiss Ranch, which abuts the Jicarilla and is now owned by the Reservation. The second came off the Munday Ranch, just east of Dulce and west of Chama. Both were exciting hunts with bulls screaming everywhere.

Where the Jicarilla really shines is its mule deer hunting. The Reservation may be the single best place in the world for a B&C buck, and again, the pricing reflects this reality.

While he's enjoying his cow hunt, the OP may have the added benefit of seeing and photographing some gagger 200+-pt. bucks.

One of few places where elk quantity doesn't poorly reflect on muley quantity and quality.

Re: Jicarilla Elk Hunt [Re: Beaubien] #5814991 07/02/15 06:12 PM
S
Shawheel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Beaubien
Originally Posted By: jdickey
People cull 8X8 there!
Beautiful country.
Be sure you eat at EL BRUNO'S in Cuba. Great Mexican food and a bunch of it!

I have eaten there a few times. I travel through there on business regularly. Great place.

The guide was 200 a day.

200 a day plus the tag sounds like a steal.

I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness. -Ted Nugent
Re: Jicarilla Elk Hunt [Re: Creekrunner] #5815988 07/03/15 01:35 PM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Yeah, I've seen pictures and videos of the bulls. They are incredible. And they charge an incredible price. The dead ones have a happy hunter and a stoic (unsmiling) Apache guide in them.

I stopped and talked to a guy representing a Native American reservation in Arizona (or Nevada?) at the Dallas Safari Club show in January. Typical big bulls and astronomical prices. No lodging on the reservation and you cannot camp. Typical "screw you, take it or leave it" attitude delivered politely. I was interested in booking a hunt a few years ago with the Blackfeet Reservation, but the guys showed up for the first couple of hours of the show (DSC) and weren't seen again for the remainder of the show. Unfathomable culture. I still respect it. 'Just don't understand it.

On my last elk hunt, my guide told me the Indian (Mescalero) reservation hunts in NM are very expensive (5-10k plus). He also said they treat you poorly and just want your money. Another hunter in my group told me he hunted with them once and his Indian guide was smoking a cigarette. He asked the guide if the smell would alert the elk and the guide ignored him and continued to smoke during the hunt. I got the feeling that the hunts were poorly run but the elk herd was awesome. I hunted south of the reservation land and it is well posted to stay off their property. If caught, you will be in jail. They are very protective of their elk herd, but, I don't believe they really treat hunters with respect. I am just relaying what was talked about around the camp fire and do not have actual hunt experience with the Indian reservation. So take it for what its worth. JMHO.

Live Free or Die...
Re: Jicarilla Elk Hunt [Re: Beaubien] #5816284 07/03/15 06:57 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Whatever problems the Mescalero have has little to do with the Jacarilla. I don't have direct experience with either, but had Indians from different bands as clients, here in MN. My experience is, that they vary considerably form band to band, even within the same tribe. The Jacarilla were the first to offer reservation hunts and have been at it for over 50 years.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Jicarilla Elk Hunt [Re: nsmike] #5827178 07/11/15 12:50 PM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: nsmike
Whatever problems the Mescalero have has little to do with the Jacarilla. I don't have direct experience with either, but had Indians from different bands as clients, here in MN. My experience is, that they vary considerably form band to band, even within the same tribe. The Jacarilla were the first to offer reservation hunts and have been at it for over 50 years.

I realize the OP was on the Jicarilla hunts...I was just relaying camp talk about the Mescalero's and stated so in my post.
Didn't try to change the subject...was just commenting an opinion. I know that each hunt can have different experiences
with different outfitters.

Live Free or Die...
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide