Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure #566008 01/22/09 07:13 AM
Sniper John Online Happy OP
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
After reading Dave's Post of duck hunting frustration from this week, I decided to throw this mornings plan of hunting Okie land out the window and give Dave a call. First suggestion was to change scenery and get away from that lake or at least the area he was hunting. After discussing a few different hunting options we came up with a mission; I had Dave meet up at my house late this morning for a drive to a new lake to scout for ducks and then hopefully find some Snipe to shoot at. So we flew the coop, off we went.

Mission accomplished. We found one little oasis in the middle of the dead sea that Dave should be hunting in the morning. Unfortunately I will be at work. but I have high hopes for his solo hunt tomorrow. That is if he don't oversleep from all the walking we did.
Now please don't turn this into a lake name guessing game. Y'all know I personally don't care, but we probably should be respectful of those that do. Anyway, we had a good day.

The Dead Sea

Mission Two accomplished also. We found Snipe.

Daves first Snipe ever

And the second one

And another one for me

Snipe were spread out, so they usually surprised us. Most flying out low and fast. This was modified choke day for sure. Dave got his two, I ended up with five. Dave made one great shot on a high flyer that looked impressive from my vantage point.

Good Times

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: Sniper John] #566009 01/22/09 07:24 AM
C
cable Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
great pics and story as always John! thanks

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: cable] #566010 01/22/09 07:30 AM
B
BUnityBears Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I saw a couple of snipe on the last duck hunt I went on. Didn't shoot them because I wasn't 100% sure they were snipe (hadn't really seen them before). After doing some research, I will be bringing some smaller shot next hunt I go on....

Good Job on the snipe guys. After seeing them fly, they move really fast....

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: BUnityBears] #566011 01/22/09 07:39 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Yea, Dave could have shot more birds. Even for me there is that second or two process in my brain to work out if a bird coming up is a Snipe, or Killdee, or Meadowlark, or Dowitcher, etc. Dave being his first Snipe hunt, that process took longer. I shot a couple of Snipe today that should have been his, but once they reached the outside edge of shooting range, I took them. I did apologise at least.

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: Sniper John] #566012 01/22/09 10:31 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
I let alot of snipe live Tuesday as we were duck hunting. Probably gunna run into a bunch again on Friday, I'll et them live until after duck season closes.

[Linked Image]

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: Fooshman] #566013 01/22/09 06:18 PM
F
flyboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
John,

That looks like another outstanding day in the marsh!

H.

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: flyboy] #566014 01/23/09 02:51 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Hey Dave,
Kill any Ducks today???

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: Sniper John] #566015 01/23/09 07:24 AM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

No ducks today. The place was full of noise as I crunched through a a half mile of ice, and I got set up, and I had coots and grebes all over me but nothing flew. I held tight for two hours then threw the decoys and stuff over my back and walked-- thinking if they wouldn't fly maybe I'd have to make them. Literally, every kind of bird you could imagine was in the sky this morning except duck.

I got back to the old pond and flushed a couple dozen ducks before I could get sneaky or anything. After a while I stashed my gear under a tree and started looking for snipe. I shot at one but I was using #4 and I think it went through the pattern-- seriously, because it was an easy going away shot.

Noon came and I felt a little let down but when I walked back to my truck to put up the duck stuff I ate lunch and took a nap rather than run away. When I woke up I felt a little better and went back out for snipe.

Not five minutes out one flushed near me into the wind, it had no chance, one shot, dead in the air. Good thing the wind was howling!

I shot right behind three more snipe. They were flushing farther out today, but they were more or less in the same places.

To be honest I think snipe is just as much fun as anything else, I just thought maybe I'd get a duck in the morning. But the one bird saved the day and anyway it was a lot of fun. I got my GPS started up which surprised me. I walked 4.75 miles this afternoon for snipe and who knows how much this morning (2.5?) I'm beat!

Just before I left I flushed some mallards. I went over to see if I could figure out why they were in this particular spot (I had flushed a pair there earlier.) I marked the spot on my GPS after looking at it, but thought something seemed familiar. I had also marked the spot I put out decoys in the morning in case I wanted to find my way back. I was 50 feet behind my original spot. I was in the right place all along, just at all the wrong times!

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: Dave Speer] #566016 01/23/09 09:03 PM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Sounds like you are a quick study LHD, your figuring it out pretty quick.

Where was your Verona John? Thought you used the double gun for snipe.

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: ndhunter] #566017 01/28/09 12:38 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
Quote:

Sounds like you are a quick study LHD, your figuring it out pretty quick.

Where was your Verona John? Thought you used the double gun for snipe.

You never know what I might be hunting with. I was looking at a gun catalog online just a little while ago. My wife walked in, looked over my shoulder, and said I should buy another gun with the Tax money. I was floored. She wants something!
I also told her about an airboat I saw for sale that I am going to look at. Same thing, "buy it if you want it and its a good deal".
I do have a wonderful understanding wife, but there is a line where you got to wonder what she is up to.

Sorry, you skunked on the ducks, I sure had high hopes for your hunt, but looks like you had fun with the Snipe! Lets do it again before Feb 15!

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: Sniper John] #566018 01/28/09 05:15 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N

John
You could just put a fan on the back of that kayak

LHD
I like that Urika in your photo, would love to have one of those.

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: ndhunter] #566019 01/28/09 05:51 AM
gumshoe
OP Online Happy
gumshoe
That Urika looks even nicer in person. Too bad it is not real wood.
The boat I saw was not much bigger than my kayak.

Now I did take a picture of a fan that when I saw it, I thought, wow, that would make for one heck of an airboat if you mounted it on a boat.

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: Sniper John] #566020 01/28/09 06:31 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
That would definitely get you there in a hurry but you would need to tape Blaze's ears to the side of her head.

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: ndhunter] #566021 01/28/09 08:04 AM
M
Moose K Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I am curious about all of this snipe hunting. I have some friends down in south texas who used to say they were going snipe hunting as a joke. It looks to me like a pretty cool quarry. Are they good to eat?

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: Moose K] #566022 01/28/09 04:28 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Hey Sniper I was looking at the dead sea pics. If the rains hold off until just before teal season next year and that flat gets about 4 or 5 inches of water on it, they will be in there like flies on a snickers bar.

Re: Long Hair Dave's Great Snipe Adventure [Re: ndhunter] #566023 01/28/09 06:08 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Quote:

LHD
I like that Urika in your photo, would love to have one of those.

I bought the Urika for the range. See my father in law wanted to take me for upland and he insisted I buy a 20 gauge autoloader. Well at the time I bought the shotgun I needed several hundred dollars worth of stuff on my boat so I got a 20 gauge 870 express instead. I *can* hit with the 870, but, not very well. The way it fits me my eye is almost an inch above the barrel and I just have a hard time compensating for it.

So I bought the 391 thinking it would only be a range gun-- you know, father in law told me 12's were too big for upland, too heavy, yada yada, but in the year since I bought the 870 I got hooked on sporting clays.

Come hunting season this year I can either shoot with the gun that fits or the one that doesn't So I hunted all year with the 391.

By next year I think I'll try to pick up an Extrema. I want a little shorter gun, a gun that's easier to clean after it rains, a gun that isn't shiny and I think the Extrema fits the bill, if I can come up with the scratch. I got poured on my first duck hunt this year so I decided to break the 391 all the way down and when I got in the recoil spring tube, there was water in it. It's just way too hard to get in there if it's gonna rain and hunt a couple days.

But the fake wood (actually laser-burned enhanced grain) is pretty

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide