Forums46
Topics538,951
Posts9,743,373
Members87,130
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: fishhuntgolfgeek] #5585590 02/06/15 04:27 AM
Mr. Clean Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Click, bang, Thump. nuts

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: Gravytrain] #5585591 02/06/15 04:29 AM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
I'm sorry, but that deer has an ugly rack. If it makes the kid or whoever pay's $20k
for that sort of thing happy; then more power to them. I'd rather have something that has
that classic symmetrical look. Big strong rack, but not freaky.

Agreed, just doesn't look natural!

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: fishhuntgolfgeek] #5585592 02/06/15 04:30 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Would have to shoot smile

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: fishhuntgolfgeek] #5585648 02/06/15 05:10 AM
C
crash700 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Definitely ground check him ! Congrats to the boy who got him.

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: crash700] #5585755 02/06/15 12:06 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I know my neighbor, he has tons of deer that make that one look like a dwarf, and without a doubt I would not shoot it. He's my neighbor. My kids wouldn't shoot it either.

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: fishhuntgolfgeek] #5585789 02/06/15 12:42 PM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
I enjoyed reading all the comments. The natural instinct in me as a hunter would want to shoot,....but then, If I knew it was a pen raised ear tagged deer escaped from a neighbor's property....I'd probably pass on the shot and let the owner know his whereabouts (just to be neighborly) and ask what his intentions were for the escaped deer. But keep your posts coming. All good responses so far. texas up

PS....I wonder if we have any TX lawyers in here on THF that could answer the question for harvesting this deer and what the liability would be as escaped property? Just asking. popcorn

Last edited by fishhuntgolfgeek; 02/06/15 12:48 PM.

Live Free or Die...
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: SouthWestIron] #5585827 02/06/15 01:14 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted By: blazin
I'm sorry, but that deer has an ugly rack. If it makes the kid or whoever pay's $20k
for that sort of thing happy; then more power to them. I'd rather have something that has

Not mention I might be scared to eat the meat.
I mean what have they been feeding that thing?

Rack is so ugly I wouldn't put in a tool shed.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: Gravytrain] #5585842 02/06/15 01:22 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

but if it was a native LF deer, and still looked the exact same, would you shoot it? eat it? and maybe even leave it in the garage? or would it still be too ugly?

Last edited by jshouse; 02/06/15 01:22 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: jshouse] #5585982 02/06/15 02:36 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: MarkE
Originally Posted By: Slicktricked
Darn tootin I would. Gonna be hard to top for the rest of his life though.

If an escaped HF freak is what your after, I would have to agree. I wouldn't see it as any great accomplishment.

why would anyone care if YOU see THEIR deer as a great accomplishment or not? and why do you care to begin with? is killing a deer about recognition?

and what if the hunter was your kid and it was the greastest day of his life? would you poopoo it?

ego is the underlying issue with most HF/LF threads.

I agree with MarkE.

I would never poopoo a kid. It does sadden me that many kids are being raised to think the kill/size is the accomplishment rather than the hunting experience. But, again, I would never say anything negative to anyone about their deer.

And I agree with your last sentence in part. Ego certainly drives the HF industry. It does not drive the opposition (I presume you are referring to/making the "jealousy" argument.) That is just what the HF supporters say so they can justify themselves. Or say because they think since ego drives them it must drive everyone else also.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: jshouse] #5585993 02/06/15 02:41 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted By: jshouse

but if it was a native LF deer, and still looked the exact same, would you shoot it? eat it? and maybe even leave it in the garage? or would it still be too ugly?

Do they really ever get like that in the wild?

In this theoretical, am I hunting next to a toxic waste site or a nuclear plant?

Last edited by Gravytrain; 02/06/15 02:43 PM.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: Gravytrain] #5586099 02/06/15 03:25 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Do they really ever get like that in the wild?

In this theoretical, am I hunting next to a toxic waste site or a nuclear plant?

have you ever seen grayson county deer? it produces deer like this every year. there are native LF deer like this killed everywhere.

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5586108 02/06/15 03:27 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
First the facts. The kid knew he was shooting the neighbor's property. It didn't surprise him, he was actually targeting the deer for quite some time. Not accusing him of letting the animal loose, but he certainly didn't try to help the owner recover his/her property (and yes, you can relatively easily recover a deer like that).

So really it comes down to whether or not you are the guy/girl that, when you see someone drop $20,000 on their way out of the grocery store do you:

1. Alert the owner and let them pick up their money?
2. Sneak it into your own pocket and be proud of your "find".

Actually I'm kind of surprised at what a lot of responses say about a lot of folks on here.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: fishhuntgolfgeek] #5586114 02/06/15 03:31 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

PS....I wonder if we have any TX lawyers in here on THF that could answer the question for harvesting this deer and what the liability would be as escaped property? Just asking. popcorn

I am not a lawyer and not an expert, but from my understanding, if the deer escapes the HF, it is free game.

There was one killed in Brownwood not too long ago. It was a monster and was known to have lived on the neighbors place. Nothing the "owner" could do about it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5586123 02/06/15 03:34 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I agree with MarkE.

I would never poopoo a kid. It does sadden me that many kids are being raised to think the kill/size is the accomplishment rather than the hunting experience. But, again, I would never say anything negative to anyone about their deer.

And I agree with your last sentence in part. Ego certainly drives the HF industry. It does not drive the opposition (I presume you are referring to/making the "jealousy" argument.) That is just what the HF supporters say so they can justify themselves. Or say because they think since ego drives them it must drive everyone else also.

it drives both sides. just like MarkE saying he wouldnt see it as an accomplishment because it was a pet, livestock, etc...it bothers "LF people" that some might look at this as an accomplishment, and really bothers them that some might see it as more of an accomplishment than their 125" LF trophy solely because it is bigger.

and i dont hunt HF, dont really like them myself, but its not hard to read between the lines when the "LF or HF" post shows up when a big deer is killed.

size of the deer's antlers shouldnt really factor into whether someone is a good hunter or not, but i think "LF people" feel the need to point it out to make sure.

and these are generalities, i know there are more reasons behing not liking HF's, the ecosystem, landowner rights, etc., but to me, there is no doubt "hunting ego" is the driving force.

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: fishhuntgolfgeek] #5586145 02/06/15 03:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Well, we will just agree to disagree.

Many hunter groups, hunter organizations, hunting publications etc. have long opposed HF. Way before it became the industry it is today. Based on fair chase grounds, conservation/habitat concerns, landowner rights, disease propagation, etc.

Many more are espousing vocal opposition today. I am certain that entire groups and publications who depend on hunter support do not voice their opposition lightly based on "ego/jealousy" grounds as it takes much courage and conviction for them to do so. And I am certain the many state legislatures who have banned them are not doing so based on ego/jealousy.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/06/15 03:46 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: txshntr] #5586146 02/06/15 03:46 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txshntr

I am not a lawyer and not an expert, but from my understanding, if the deer escapes the HF, it is free game.

There was one killed in Brownwood not too long ago. It was a monster and was known to have lived on the neighbors place. Nothing the "owner" could do about it.

Yep. And in my analogy the person who dropped the $20,000 would have no winnable legal recourse unless they had recorded the serial numbers on their money.

But I still would pick it up and give it back to them. I wouldn't feel right taking their money. Even if I could "legally" get away with it.

Last edited by therancher; 02/06/15 03:51 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: therancher] #5586163 02/06/15 03:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Yep. And in my analogy the person who dropped the $20,000 would have no winnable legal recourse unless they had recorded the serial numbers on their money.

But I still would pick it up and give it back to them. I wouldn't feel right taking their money.

I don't think it's exactly the same situation but that's certainly a valid way to look at it.

All depends on your viewpoint as to ownership. The states have adopted a "split the baby" approach-that it is basically your property unless you lose control of it. (That's not exactly technically correct but that's the practical effect as long as you play by the state's rules.)

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5586164 02/06/15 03:54 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Wow.

So "ego" drives the HF community. But it doesn't drive the LF community.

NP gets the "Don't worry about the speck in your brothers' eye, when there's a log in your own eye" award for the day.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: therancher] #5586168 02/06/15 03:58 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Wow.

NP gets the "Don't worry about the speck in your brothers' eye, when there's a log in your own eye" award for the day.

See, and there I was trying to be nice. grin

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5586187 02/06/15 04:09 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Wow.

See, and there I was trying to be nice. grin

Hey! I gave you an award! Be happy!

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: fishhuntgolfgeek] #5586216 02/06/15 04:27 PM
D
DustyWyoming Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
There is a difference between cash and deer, Once the deer are turned out to hunt they become the states property so when the deer gets loose it is fair game, I would hate to loose a $20k deer would make a person sick to loose 20k but if it got out of my HF property I would have to give the person who shot it a big ole high five for getting a deer of a lifetime..

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: DustyWyoming] #5586274 02/06/15 04:47 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: DustyWyoming
There is a difference between cash and deer, Once the deer are turned out to hunt they become the states property so when the deer gets loose it is fair game, I would hate to loose a $20k deer would make a person sick to loose 20k but if it got out of my HF property I would have to give the person who shot it a big ole high five for getting a deer of a lifetime..

Nah, not really. The kid knew who's property had been "dropped". If it was a $20,000 wedding ring that hadn't been documented, it would be the same "finder's keepers" situation as my earlier cash analogy.

The point is that in this situation the kid saw the "ring" hit the floor, and watched the old lady walk out of the store and picked it up and pocketed the ring. Then showed everyone the ring, and bragged that he'd just "found" it.

IMO just because it's "legal" isn't justification for not giving the property back to it's owner. IN EVERY SITUATION.

A lot of people here trying to justify their stance by declaring it "legal", when in fact it's more of a moral issue.

And I think it's a sad indictment of where we are today.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: DustyWyoming] #5586293 02/06/15 04:57 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
but if it got out of my HF property I would have to give the person who shot it a big ole high five for getting a deer of a lifetime..

Explain how that is a deer of a lifetime?

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: MarkE] #5586361 02/06/15 05:22 PM
W
Wiredhernandez Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
All WT deer are property of the state/people ... nothing wrong with his actions at all .. if deer were considered livestock it would be different .. you cant trap someones livestock in a fence overnight and get away with it .. but you can whitetail /. which belong to the state .. huh? makes no sense does it.. smile

Re: $19,900.00 escaped HF ear tagged buck shot by teen; story from F&S. [Re: therancher] #5586380 02/06/15 05:31 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Nah, not really. The kid knew who's property had been "dropped". If it was a $20,000 wedding ring that hadn't been documented, it would be the same "finder's keepers" situation as my earlier cash analogy.

The point is that in this situation the kid saw the "ring" hit the floor, and watched the old lady walk out of the store and picked it up and pocketed the ring. Then showed everyone the ring, and bragged that he'd just "found" it.

IMO just because it's "legal" isn't justification for not giving the property back to it's owner. IN EVERY SITUATION.

A lot of people here trying to justify their stance by declaring it "legal", when in fact it's more of a moral issue.

And I think it's a sad indictment of where we are today.

How difficult would it be to try to capture the deer and return it? From my experience with transporting the "tamer" deer that are raised in pens, it is very stressful on the animal. Would it be more difficult trying to hunt them and capture them off the neighbors land?

If it was your deer that escaped, would you attempt a recovery?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide