Forums46
Topics538,405
Posts9,736,772
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: txshntr] #5583553 02/05/15 01:02 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: therancher
Do it. Who cares what others think?

NP has never hunted a high fenced place, but has (with no experience whatsoever) decided that it's a canned hunt. I typically don't listen to the opinions of folks who have no experience on issues they are pontificating on. And I've always found that people's opinions on things they have no experience with, are worth as much as tits on a boar.

Amazing how consistent that is.

scratch What if they had hunted on a HF place that was a canned hunt and based their opinion on it...does that make their opinion valid or is it still wrong because you disagree?

It would add validity to an opinion. Without having experienced something you can't have a valid opinion. You can only be speculating.

For it to be a comparative opinion you would have to experience a similar hunt, in this case on approximately 10,000 acres.

So, does this moderator status cause comprehension decay? Or were you that way before your "promotion"?

Last edited by therancher; 02/05/15 01:03 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: HWY_MAN] #5583559 02/05/15 01:07 PM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Since you said outfitter I assume you'll be using a guide, in that case hi or low makes little difference. If the outfitter is worth his salt he and the guides have pretty well done their homework, they spent the pre season glassing and watching bulls throughout that whole area and can pretty well put you in the right area's. I said that to say this! With that kind of an advantage before you go in it makes no difference whether it's high or low your not going to hunt the whole place. My place is only 3 sections but I know where most of my bucks are, where they bed and the paths they're most likely to take. Does that turn my low fence into a high fence? Well it will certainly seem like it you'll certainly have a better chance and I'll keep you out of area's that are non productive. My father in-law was an outfitter in Wyoming and knew this very well. He didn't have his clients running all over the place, he had them where the bulls were which may have been a 10th of the area available. You might as well have hi-fenced it because the elk pretty well treated it like it was.

I agree, everyone is flipping pennies. High or Low , with a guide, he is going to put you on Bulls fast as possible to get you killed out with one you like.

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: kmon11] #5583594 02/05/15 01:36 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Have hunted elk a few times, a lot of their range has to do with Terrain, cover, Food sources and water. On one 50,000+ acre ranch there were always elk in an area less than 10,000 acres. We never went into the dark timber after them but could count on them being in the fields along the creek pretty much every day and doubt that group of elk ranged over 3000 acres. On the other side of the ranch we had 7 sections bordered by NF on 2 sides with 6 "creek" drainages there would be a few elk on that 7 sections during the day but mostly they were in the NF during day. Those elk would travel 7 miles+ to the grain fields along the river daily. Killed 3 bulls as they crossed that part of the property. All that in just saying even in big country low fence places elk have different range preferences and range size.

For the OP, enjoy your hunt. Do not worry about what any of us think, if you are happy we should be. Elk are majestic animals and fun to hunt. There is no other sound that I have ever heard that gets the blood flowing like a bull elk bugle while I am hunting the mountains especially when he is responding and coming to my calling.

up Allot of truth in this post.

High country Elk will start to migrate to lower elevation, some as early as mid-late September. When on the move, or harassed enough, they can travel up to 40 miles in 24 hrs. A 7 mile "hike" is small potatoes to an elk, more like a fella crossing a 100 acre field.. Where I lived for a spell and hunted for over 30 years, it is amazing what elk can do when they get the urge.

I also know of a couple herds on a friends place, He has a 14k acre low country place that has a resident herd of around 20, that particular herd utilizes most of that place since it is in AG. As early as the end of Sept, but usually after the 1st extended cold spell in early November, More elk start arriving from the high country, some as far as 70 miles (according to the GW I know there). I have seen the migration many times and it is spectacular, especially when they stage up mid level, an amazing sight to behold. This friend of mine has an additional 30k acres or so in the high country, even when he moves his cows out for winter, they will make a 10 mile drive in less that one day and this is just mountian condition cattle.

10 acres is small to an elk.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: MarkE] #5583637 02/05/15 02:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: MarkE
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: MarkE
You can do justify just about anything if you want it bad enough, but in the end, you will just end up shooting shooting an animal in a pen. Completely meaningless to me, but you can make it as mystical as you want.

It doesn't matter how big the property it is......they aren't getting out and the population is controlled. More acres equal more livestock which equal more opportunity for the shooter. Does a rancher have any less cows per acre on 10,000 acres as he would on 1,000 if he what's to achieve maximum utilization? I wonder why he would even need a fence........with 10,000 acres, I'm sure they would never leave the ranch hammer

Haven't spent much time out west on BLM land or NF I'm guessing.

You don't need fences...need only water.

Yeah, and none of them ever wonder off, huh? I thought we were talking about Idaho.

Who would of thought there was no BLM land or NF in Idaho...

Cattle are similar to wildlife. Ranchers will drop them off in the high country and they migrate from the high country down staying close to the water sources. Wild life migrations really depend on snow fall.

Idaho does have unique issues though with its heavy presence of Wolves and Grizz. Buddy lost 3/4 of his mulie last year to wolves

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: therancher] #5583659 02/05/15 02:16 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

NP has never hunted a high fenced place, but has (with no experience whatsoever) decided that it's a canned hunt. I typically don't listen to the opinions of folks who have no experience on issues they are pontificating on. And I've always found that people's opinions on things they have no experience with, are worth as much as tits on a boar.

scratch What if they had hunted on a HF place that was a canned hunt and based their opinion on it...does that make their opinion valid or is it still wrong because you disagree?

It would add validity to an opinion. Without having experienced something you can't have a valid opinion. You can only be speculating.

For it to be a comparative opinion you would have to experience a similar hunt, in this case on approximately 10,000 acres.

So, does this moderator status cause comprehension decay? Or were you that way before your "promotion"?

I was that way before my "promotion"...but you knew that trout

I don't necessary agree. Common sense tells you that 10k acres stocked with a larger herd than the LF place of 30k acres and bigger bulls would have a higher success rate of a bull of specific caliber. You wouldn't have to hunt a comparative place to understand that.

Granted, there are LF places that are easier to hunt, have a higher success rate and would be closer to hunting a "canned hunt", such as some of the IR in New Mexico. But I have never hunted those, so this statement is irrelevant cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5583680 02/05/15 02:29 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
clap

Dennis

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5583684 02/05/15 02:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The "you can't have an opinion on something if you haven't done it" is a crock of bs .

I have opinions on theft, soliciting a prostitute, shooting heroin, exceeding bag limits, texting while driving, ISIS, and about a million other things. So does everyone on this forum. So that's just stupid.

The majority of folks who opine on HF elk hunting on this thread have never been on a HF elk hunt. Does that argument apply to them? Not for the supporters. Again, a crock. Just another ridiculous thing to say.

There is room for legitimate debate about whether HF hunting should be allowed under a "to each their own" philosophy. But once that crosses into the "it makes no difference", "it has no effect", or "it's all the same" (which is the topic of this thread), the arguments become stretched to the point of laughability.

HF operations exist to change the game-to make animals easier to kill and/or grow artificially bigger animals to hunt. Anyone without skin in the game and a modicum of common sense knows this. Arguments trying to deny or ignore this quickly spiral into the nonsensical.

For the umpteenth time: The fence is there for a reason. There is no getting around that plain fact.

I bear no ill will towards the OP. He asked for opinions and he got them. From his posts, I can pretty much discern by now where he is coming from. He wants an elk-preferably a big elk. That is his primary focus. He has made a rational decision (for him) that will certainly fulfill his goal.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: txshntr] #5583703 02/05/15 02:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I was that way before my "promotion"...but you knew that trout

I don't necessary agree. Common sense tells you that 10k acres stocked with a larger herd than the LF place of 30k acres and bigger bulls would have a higher success rate of a bull of specific caliber. You wouldn't have to hunt a comparative place to understand that.

Granted, there are LF places that are easier to hunt, have a higher success rate and would be closer to hunting a "canned hunt", such as some of the IR in New Mexico. But I have never hunted those, so this statement is irrelevant cheers

One thing none of us have mention or thought about is what he will be targeting size wise. Any bull is one thing, a certain class bull is another thing.

A good friend of mine bought a LF management bull hunt in NM a few years back. Basically a mature 5x5 or 5x6.
Got his bull but could of tagged out first couple of days on stud 360 plus 6x6 and 7's. When your hunting with archery that compounds the issue 100 fold, when you literally have to out smart satillates, cows, and herd Bulls to get with in range of one specific bull.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5583711 02/05/15 02:41 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The "you can't have an opinion on something if you haven't done it" is a crock of bs .

I have opinions on theft, soliciting a prostitute, shooting heroin, exceeding bag limits, texting while driving, ISIS, and about a million other things. So does everyone on this forum. So that's just stupid.

The majority of folks who opine on HF elk hunting on this thread have never been on a HF elk hunt. Does that argument apply to them? Not for the supporters. Again, a crock. Just another ridiculous thing to say.

There is room for legitimate debate about whether HF hunting should be allowed under a "to each their own" philosophy. But once that crosses into the "it makes no difference", "it has no effect", or "it's all the same" (which is the topic of this thread), the arguments become stretched to the point of laughability.

HF operations exist to change the game-to make animals easier to kill and/or grow artificially bigger animals to hunt. Anyone without skin in the game and a modicum of common sense knows this. Arguments trying to deny or ignore this quickly spiral into the nonsensical.

For the umpteenth time: The fence is there for a reason. There is no getting around that plain fact.

I bear no ill will towards the OP. He asked for opinions and he got them. From his posts, I can pretty much discern by now where he is coming from. He wants an elk-preferably a big elk. That is his primary focus. He has made a rational decision (for him) that will certainly fulfill his goal.

So your definition of artificially bigger deer are deer that are bigger due to proper management?

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5583712 02/05/15 02:41 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Very true Bobo. And the main reason HF elk ranches exist-to get around that problem.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/05/15 02:45 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: Dustnsand] #5583717 02/05/15 02:44 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: z71dustin

So your definition of artificially bigger deer are deer that are bigger due to proper management?

Nope. I do not define artificially confining animals for the purpose of replacing and/or enhancing genetics as "management". It's raising livestock.

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5583727 02/05/15 02:48 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Think there are getting to be some physical restrictions(archery age). Not that any of us are spring chickens, but we all get to a point where we have to call the ball.

Personally I plan on being the bionic man with all synthetic joints myself, I doubht I will ever pick up a rifle for elk but that's just me. I hope to draw my sheep tags while of archery age also

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5583740 02/05/15 02:53 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: z71dustin

Nope. I do not define artificially confining animals for the purpose of replacing and/or enhancing genetics as "management". It's raising livestock.

But they use the same tactics as large lf places. Funny how a fence makes the exact same thing become something different, no matter how large of area that fence is lol

Last edited by z71dustin; 02/05/15 02:53 PM.
Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5583741 02/05/15 02:53 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Very true Bobo. And the main reason HF elk ranches exist-to get around that problem.

With a rifle you would have a point. But archery it's probably more of hindrance to the hunter. Probably harder in a large HF because you may be only targeting 1-3 bulls. On LF you have more options. Most likely strictness of age and management goals are probably looser.

Toss in the fact you know those elk will be call smart.. OP might be in for a lot harder hunt then he expects

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5583757 02/05/15 03:02 PM
D
denton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5583765 02/05/15 03:04 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Not if it's a higher density like the OP mentioned. Chances are they'll be targeting the satellite bulls that are still good bulls, but just can't hang.

And won't be call smart, keep a lot of Bulls around each other and they're very vocal, year-round.

Last edited by rifleman; 02/05/15 03:05 PM.
Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: denton] #5583767 02/05/15 03:05 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: denton

Ya they just ran them off a cliff.

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: denton] #5583772 02/05/15 03:08 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

You also want to make one for "hunting animals for sport and not for survival, WTF? "

And "hunting animals for the size of the horns and not the meat, WTF?"

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: rifleman] #5583795 02/05/15 03:23 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Not if it's a higher density like the OP mentioned. Chances are they'll be targeting the satellite bulls that are still good bulls, but just can't hang.

Like trying to kill a spike on one of STX previous managed ranches smile

Density is meaning less when you have a set number of animals being managed via age. Especially when you don't have new animals every snow fall.

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5583813 02/05/15 03:32 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Ya they just ran them off a cliff.

That was buffalo, You're slipp'n BOBO! LOL

Dennis

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5583816 02/05/15 03:34 PM
G
gunnut81 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
If the place is big enough then I don't have a problem with it its those places where they high fence in tons of animals in a few hundred acres or less that are just lame' I've hunted on a 20,000 acre high fence in NM and it was quite a challenge and I would definately go again.

Endowment Life member NRA
there are a few bad republicans but there are no good democrats
(Ann Coulter)
Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5583828 02/05/15 03:39 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Like trying to kill a spike on one of STX previous managed ranches smile

More like trying to find a decent middle aged buck..

Density is meaning less when you have a set number of animals being managed via age. Especially when you don't have new animals every snow fall.

100% success rate doesn't show that. Enhanced genetics also indicates they don't have to wait for snow for new animals.

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5583838 02/05/15 03:45 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Bobo, click on that link in the first page and zoom in on the ridge behind the elk....grin

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: ttechcolleyville] #5583840 02/05/15 03:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: ttechcolleyville

The high fence has genetically superior bulls and there are more bulls than on the private land.

Is there a difference? The OP answered the question.

Everything else is just talk.

Re: Can you have a fair elk hunt on 10,000 acre high fence? [Re: gunnut81] #5583852 02/05/15 03:53 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: gunnut81
If the place is big enough then I don't have a problem with it its those places where they high fence in tons of animals in a few hundred acres or less that are just lame' I've hunted on a 20,000 acre high fence in NM and it was quite a challenge and I would definately go again.

Great post. See, it's not just one or the other. This opinion makes sense from a common sense perspective and experience. How refreshing. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide