Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5542367 01/14/15 04:53 PM
J
jseago Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I ran a trespasser out of a deer stand once. He had chronic trespassing issue. I realized something was different about the place every time I hunted it. Finally caught him on a Tuesday morning. He heard me coming and got anxious (I assume) because he left his 30-06 leaning against the seat. I removed his rounds and leaned his gun against his truck, which he also parked on my property. I gave him a little gospel when he made his way back to his vehicle. He told me he was a preacher from the Houston area.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: hermano W] #5542839 01/14/15 08:52 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: hermano W
From what the OP stated, he doesn't have a deeded right of way to access his property. To get to his property he has to cross the neighbors property where the fence line feeder is. That's what makes the situation complicated and keeps them from getting law enforcement involved unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I would suggest that you look for a way to meet with your neighbor and calmly explain that the feeder being so close to the fence has the potential of causing an accident. Explain that you were there unaware someone was hunting that feeder and a bullet shot toward the feeder from his side would most likely cross onto your side putting you in danger. If you haven't already done it, you need to exchange phone numbers. If he doesn't want to move the feeder, at least ask him to give you a call when someone is going to hunt that feeder. Most people are fairly reasonable, but not all. Good luck.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure state law protects his right to access his property no matter what. If he doesn't have a right of way I think he could legally get one and the state would enforce it especially if he has been using it for a number of year. You can't just cut someones access to property off like that, not how it works.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 01/14/15 08:54 PM.
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5542856 01/14/15 08:58 PM
L
Lima Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
yes we have a deeded access in the deed for the land. I understand there's really no way for them to keep us out of our property. the land around my place is owned by several different families. we've never had any real issues with them. the problem has only arisen the last 5 years or so. I suspect its not the land owners doing the hunting, but more likely friends of the owners. most of the land owners are like me, we live far away and don't have each others phone numbers. the only number I have is the lady who's road I have to go down to get to my place. she's 90 and really sweet. have never had any problems with her at all. people out there kinda do for each other and take care of each other, and I don't want to upset that. im only out there a few times a year, and the way I see it, if they want to hunt my place, I cant really stop them. once I have the trees cut, it wont be any good for hunting for about a year anyway. besides the hogs have left us alone since the wildfire came thru 2 years ago, so at least the hog hunters haven't been using my place much for that.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: krmitchell] #5542874 01/14/15 09:04 PM
L
Lima Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
actually, the land owner can cut off access to your property at any time for any reason. texas state law does not require them to give you access. only if you have it in the deed and signed by all parties, is it illegal to stop access. been down that road already.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5542982 01/14/15 09:40 PM
J
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
This original post reminds me of a story from a few years ago, that involved some family members. There was no poaching, but it's kinda funny and I figured I'd tell it.

My father's side of the family grew up on a place in Southeastern Oklahoma. There was 7 brothers and sisters, which in turn makes for a very large family. Two of my uncles own the old place now, and they let pretty much anybody hunt it that asks. I have a cousin that tries to hunt the place quite a bit, but he is a horrible shot and I don't think he has ever hit a deer that he shot at. My brothers and I have hunted it occasionally when we are in the area for Holidays.

It was the week of Thanksgiving a few years ago, and my little brother went to sit a creek bed that was in between a couple of grassy pastures. Very early in the morning, he heard a shot that scared the dickens out of him, and he popped his head up looking in the direction of the shot. He saw a buck running wide open across the pasture and fired, folding the deer up in mid-stride. He then heard someone yell "Hey!!! That's my deer." The bad shot of a cousin was in a box stand not 100 yards from where my brother was tucked away in the creek bed. How they both got settled in without noticing each other still baffles me. They both met up where the deer was laying dead, and the cousin was absolutely certain that he killed the deer, even though there was only one bullet hole and he dropped when my brother shot.

The cousin took the deer, and we joke about it now. Everyone in the family thinks my brother killed it, except for the cousin.

Definitely a scary and dangerous situation. We haven't tried to hunt the place since.

If ducks had horns I'd probably be a duck hunter.
I am a horrible deer hunter. Probably the worst. Ever.
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: DSST_Construction] #5543066 01/14/15 10:15 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted By: DSST_Construction
I would of called the GW

Me to........and held him at the point of my rifle until he got there to fine or arrest him!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5544985 01/15/15 07:37 PM
C
chk Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Sorry but this guy will be back to hunt again next year. Call the GM on these jokers and throw the book at em.
I would have told him sure you can have the deer. Go ahead and gut em and take him to your truck. Let him save you the work and call the game warden at his vehicles location and be there to greet him when he comes out.
Or slash his tires, punch holes in the radiator and then go back and get your deer.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5545048 01/15/15 08:23 PM
L
Lima Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
as much as I would like to do that, it wouldn't make the matter better. I suspect the guy has been doing this for years. the feeder and tower have been there for at least 2 years.
someone killed and gutted one on my place last year, then drug it over the fence to a vehicle. im assuming its the same guy. who knows maybe since we caught him this time he will move his stuff. not likely, since hes gotten 2 off this stand. we'll see next year.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5557556 01/22/15 02:18 PM
M
Mason Brauchle Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Ugh.... No contacting the game warden?

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5581778 02/04/15 03:59 PM
K
kingstriper Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Should have got a picture of the poacher and gave it to the GW.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: SapperTitan] #5582442 02/04/15 08:56 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Why the he** y'all didn't call the GW is beyond me.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #5582753 02/05/15 12:11 AM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS
I would of called the GW

Me to........and held him at the point of my rifle until he got there to fine or arrest him!

Hahaha.... So let me get this straight....when he tells you to stick that gun up your arse, turns and walks back to his side of the fence, then what? You gonna shoot him in the back? Or just keep on telling him to freeze and that the GW should be there in an hour or so. Haha...Hold him at gun point up

Probably better to let a LEO handle it. Whip out your phone and take pics/video of the situation before you start pointing guns at people.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Greg] #5582776 02/05/15 12:20 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Greg
Originally Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS
I would of called the GW

Hahaha.... So let me get this straight....when he tells you to stick that gun up your arse, turns and walks back to his side of the fence, then what? You gonna shoot him in the back? Or just keep on telling him to freeze and that the GW should be there in an hour or so. Haha...Hold him at gun point up

Probably better to let a LEO handle it. Whip out your phone and take pics/video of the situation before you start pointing guns at people.

Exactly

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Poacher Busted [Re: redchevy] #5582936 02/05/15 01:36 AM
W
wtr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: redchevy
So... just curious, what is the spread on that buck? bolt

roflmao Thinking the same thing. Maybe there's your reason for not calling the GW.

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5585580 02/06/15 04:18 AM
L
Lima Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
L
lol 14"

Re: Poacher Busted [Re: Lima] #5587416 02/07/15 06:13 AM
W
walkertj2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I'm with many of the other members. I believe the GW should've been called. This is clearly an intentional attempt to trespass on another's property. Even if the GW wasn't called on the spot, they should've been called afterwards so you could report your ongoing problem of trespassing and/or poaching. Even though you note you have never seen a GW in the area, if you report this ongoing trespassing problem and request that they make a presence in the area, particularly around your property, they will make their best effort to do so. That is part of their job. No doubt, if a GW gets an opportunity to take a poacher out of the field, they are going to do it! If you don't report a problem, they don't know a problem exist. Same holds true for your neighbor landowner. You note you believe it is friends, etc., of the landowners committing these illegal acts. As other post suggest, you might contact the landowner directly and advise of this activity and ask if they were aware it is going on and request that they take care of it. My guess is they don't know, if it really is mainly friends going out there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide