Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rifle Scope Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #552740 01/15/09 08:28 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
i have used a redfield 3x9 tracker that my dad bought me in 96' cost $185 and has served me well.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Rifle Scope Question [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #552741 01/15/09 08:47 PM
T
tx270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Quote:

Let me start by saying that these conversations are reflections of our opinions and I respect opinions that differ from mine. I hope to receive the same consideration. I also base the following date on 3x9x40 and a 3x9x50 Elite scopes.

Quote:

Get a 40mm, no need for a 50mm for 99% of hunting situations.

Just hope that the deer you've been hunting all your life shows up within that 99%.

Quote:

A 50mm is heavier and also has to be mounted higher, which for most people the lower to the gun the scope can be mounted, the better that person will shoot.

Yes, the 50mm is heavier. It weighs 6 oz more and it's 3" longer. However, it doesn't necessarily have to be mounted higher on the rifle. The difference in the radius is 5mm. If the 40mm is sitting higher than that above the rifle barrel, the centerline of the scopes will be essentially the same. The only way the 50mm would sit higher is if you had the 40mm sitting 1mm or 2mm above the barrel and had to buy higher rings.

Quote:

The SLIGHT advantage in low light of the 50mm is not worth the other negatives in my opinion.

The exit pupil on the 40mm varies from 13.3 to 4.4 depending on the magnification setting. The exit pupil of the 50mm varies from 16.7 to 5.6 depending on the magnification setting. The average human pupil will expand to ~7mm in darkness. If the scope has an exit pupil of 4.4mm, then it is providing less light than the eye can accommodate. While the same is true if the exit pupil is 5.6, it is bigger and does provide more light. There is more to "light" than brightness. There is also color definition. That's what allows you to pick out the color of a deer standing in the woods or brush. Being completely fair about this part, you can adjust the magnification settings on either scope to provide the most efficient light transmission. The difference is that on the 50mm, the magnification setting can be higher to allow the same amount of light.

Quote:

If its too dark to make a good shot with a quality 40mm scope then its to damn dark to be shooting at a big game animal.

If the animal is standing in an open field, that could be true. If it is standing 20 feet back in the woods, not so sure.

I did say in my post it was "my opinion", and I respect your opinion.

As to the 1% animal I might not get, after taking over 100 big gamee animals including WT, mule deer, sheep, antelope, etc. in more than a couple states. I think I'll take my chances on that 1%.

Don't know here you got your specs but your wrong on the obj. only being 5mm larger on a 50mm scope. On almost all 50mm scopes the obj. bell is a min of 10mm larger, or about a 1/2".
With most 40-42mm scopes you can usually use low rings and you can definitely use medium rings. With most 50mm scopes you MIGHT (and that a big might) be able to use medium rings but you usually have to use high rings. The cheek weld difference between low rings and high rings is very noticable for most peeople. BTW I've mounted ALOT of scopes.

The length/weight issue I agree is not a big deal if your sitting in a plywood box staring at a barrel of corn 75 yds away. But it is a big difference if you hike ten miles a day or try to stick a 50mm scope in a horse scabbard.

I agree the color definition and resolution will be SLIGHTLY better with a 50mm.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is folks who don't know alot about scopes seem to think they will see some astonishing difference with a 50mm scope. They get to caught up in "its bigger so it must be way better" IMHO I just don't think its so.

The nice gentleman who started this thread seems to be one of those folks who doesn't have alot of experience with riflescopes so he asked everyones opinion here. So I gave my opinion with a good bit of experience to back it up.

If a person likes 50mm scopes then I say go for it. I won't ridicule anyone for it. I just think people get to caught up in the its bigger so it must be better theory. Yeah, they are a slightly better in some areas, but that comes with alot of trade offs in my honest opinion.

And I still stand by my "if its to dark to see with a quality 40-42mm scope then its to damn dark to be ethically shooting at a big game animal"

Bill

Re: Rifle Scope Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #552742 01/15/09 08:59 PM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I used to think there was no better scope than Leupold, and have a few of them.

I recently bought a varmint gun in 204, and topped it off with a Burris Fullfield II 4.5 x 14 Ballistic-Plex. This scope came with a compact 12 x 24 spotting scope. The spotting scope works very well for what it is.

The Burris scope is excellent, I couldn't be happier with its performance in low light conditions. The Ballistic-Plex works just as Burris claims. I was somewhat skeptical about it, but it works. I haven't tried the next aim-points at their respective distances yet bet intend to very soon. I intend to work up some hand loads first.

I sighted in dead on at 100, then backed up to 250 and used the next aim-point mark, dead on at 250, using Hornady 32gr. V-Max factory ammo.

Would I buy another Burris?? Yes Sir I would. Life time warranty!

JMO, I think Leupold is over rated and overpriced. But they are very good scopes.

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Rifle Scope Question [Re: tx270] #552743 01/15/09 09:19 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
shouldn't matter what scope you get (all brands of scopes have had someone bashing on them at some point)..... 99% of the time it's still the indian, not the arrow that matters. 44mm works well for me on scopes up to 12 power, once I go above that I prefer the 50mm. Some people will swear up and down that you should never need anything more than a 9 power scope to hunt with. May be true for their hunting set-up but not for all. For the way I hunt, I would rather just put a large scope on my rifle instead of carrying a spotting scope to the stand every trip.

I do have a cpl of guns set up with 3-9x32 scopes on them.... one is a 30-06 and the other a sweet little 7mm-08. Those are my late season rifles when I'm toting a climber to get back in some secluded areas. I do not have a scope that I'm partial to, I just expect what I buy to do what it's supposed to.... I will say that I have had the least amount of trouble out of leupold and nikon, but I can't justify spending more on the scope than I do the rifle in order to get the sizes I want.

Re: Rifle Scope Question [Re: rifleman] #552744 01/15/09 09:27 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
I love hearing all the praise for Burris. I will never own a Zeiss or Swarvoski in my lifetime. I will however buy a few more Burris'. Thinking about topping off my beloved 300 with one( anyone want a VARI-X 2 4-12X40 AO?), I love the B-plex that we put on Joshua's 308. Burris makes some dang fine binoculars also.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Rifle Scope Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #552745 01/15/09 09:37 PM
A
amber Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
I highly recommend the Simmons Aetec scope. It is a good affordable scope that is bright, clear and can handle recoil. My fiance and I have several Aetec's on our rifles ranging from a 22-250 to a 7mm wsm. Simmons changed the design of the aetec and moved the AO from the front of the scope to side mounted knobs. I prefer the old design with the adjustment in the front but it still works the same. I favor the Simmons Aetec scope over the Nikon Monarchs.

Cabelas has a sale on the 4-14x44 matte for $189.99

Re: Rifle Scope Question [Re: rifleman] #552746 01/15/09 09:47 PM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I don't carry the spotting scope with me, no need to. It came with the scope, and all I have used it for is checking paper, but then again, really dont need to, I can see the holes just fine through the scope at 100yds. 250yds. is a different story with that little bullitt.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't bashing Leupold or any other brand of scope. I just bought an brand new Rock River Arms Preditor Pursuit AR-15 from TX50Cal on the forum here. It came with a Tasco 4x16 scope. It shoots very well with this scope. Will I put a better scope on the AR, sure, later but right now I'm having too much fun with it.

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Rifle Scope Question [Re: tx270] #552747 01/15/09 09:56 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Quote:

On almost all 50mm scopes the obj. bell is a min of 10mm larger

Sorry I was not clearer on this point. The CENTERLINE of a 50mm scope is 5mm higher than the CENTERLINE of a 40mm scope. The other 5mm that is above centerline doesn't matter.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide