Print Thread
How do you tell the difference? #550296 01/13/09 03:23 PM
W
Wishwords Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
How do you tell the difference between Rio Grandes and Easterns? We have pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishwords/3154331059/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishwords/3194168812/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wishwords/3194168816/

Thanks for the help. We don't want to get in trouble this spring.

Why yes, I do shoot like a girl. --Anonymous
Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Wishwords] #550297 01/13/09 04:00 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Were are the pics taken?

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Hoytman] #550298 01/13/09 07:25 PM
krs_2007 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Yep, depends on where the pics are taken. You find Eastern's in East Texas and Rio's every place else, just referring to Texas I know both exist in other states. Those look like Rio's, but its kind of hard to tell with those pics.

"Hard work is the price we must pay for success, I think you can accomplish anything if your willing to pay the price." ~ Vince Lombardi
Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: krs_2007] #550299 01/14/09 03:58 AM
W
Wishwords Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Gonzales County. They mention both breeds in the county rules.

Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Wishwords] #550300 01/14/09 06:28 PM
krs_2007 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
You can search the internet and I bet the NWTF has pics of all species that might help. Never knew there was a county that had overlap.

"Hard work is the price we must pay for success, I think you can accomplish anything if your willing to pay the price." ~ Vince Lombardi
Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Wishwords] #550301 01/14/09 08:52 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This might be quicker, where are you planning on hunting this Spring?

If you are hunting in any of the following 43 counties then it does not matter whether you shoot an Eastern or a Rio Grande, the bag limit is One Gobbler.

Angelina Bowie Brazoria Camp Cass Cherokee Delta Fannin Fort Bend Franklin Grayson Gregg Hardin Harrison Hopkins Houston Hunt Jasper Lamar Liberty Marion Matagorda Montgomery Morris Nacogdoches Newton Panola Polk Rains Red River Rusk Sabine San Augustine San Jacinto Shelby Smith Titus Trinity Tyler Upshur Walker Wharton Wood

If you are hunting in any of the following 101 north Zone counties, you can kill up to 4 Rio Grande strain Gobblers during the Spring season, if you did not kill any during the Fall season:

Archer Armstrong Baylor Bell Borden Bosque Briscoe Brown Burnet Callahan Carson Childress Clay Coke Coleman Collingsworth Comanche Concho Cooke Coryell Cottle Crane Crosby Dawson Denton Dickens Donley Eastland Ector Ellis Erath Fisher Floyd Foard Garza Glasscock Gray Hall Hamilton Hardeman Hartley Haskell Hemphill Hill Hood Howard Hutchinson Irion Jack Johnson Jones Kent King Knox Lampasas Lipscomb Llano Lynn Martin Mason McCulloch McLennan Menard Midland Mills Mitchell Montague Moore Motley Nolan Ochiltree Oldham Palo Pinto Parker Potter Randall Reagan Roberts Runnels San Saba Schleicher Scurry Shackelford Somervell Stephens Sterling Stonewall Swisher Tarrant Taylor Throckmorton Tom Green Travis Upton Ward Wheeler Wichita Wilbarger Williamson Wise Young

Here are the 54 south Zone counties where you can also take 4 Rio Grande strain Gobblers if you have the tags:

Aransas Atascosa Bandera Bee Bexar Blanco Brewster Brooks Calhoun Cameron Comal Crockett DeWitt Dimmit Duval Edwards Frio Gillespie Goliad Gonzales Guadalupe Hays Hidalgo Jeff Davis Jim Hogg Jim Wells Karnes Kendall Kenedy Kerr Kimble Kinney Kleberg LaSalle Live Oak Maverick McMullen Medina Nueces Pecos Real Refugio San Patricio Starr Sutton Terrell Uvalde Val Verde Victoria Webb Willacy Wilson Zapata Zavala

Lastly, in the following counties you can only take 1 Rio Grande strain gobbler during the Spring season:

Bastrop Caldwell Colorado Fayette Jackson Lavaca Lee Milam

All you have to do is check and see what counties you will be hunting in and what the regulations are for that/those counties are.

Best of Luck on your hunts.

Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Crazyhorse] #550302 01/15/09 02:59 AM
W
Wishwords Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Thank you guys. We will be in Gonzales County. What I read on the website the other day under our county was:

The annual bag limit for Rio Grande and Eastern turkey, in the aggregate for all counties, is four (4), no more than one of which may be an Eastern turkey. For counties that have an Eastern Turkey spring season, there is no fall season.

* Fall:
Open season: November 1, 2008-January 4, 2009 (either sex).
Archery Only: September 27-October 31, 2008.
* Spring:
Rio Grande turkey: Open season: March 21-May 3, 2009 (gobblers only).

Since it mentioned both species, I assumed that both were there. I'm getting the idea now that all we have are Rio Grande.

I've never seen the two types together to compare what "heavier body" might be on an Eastern, but these turkeys seem slim to me.

Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Wishwords] #550303 01/15/09 04:52 AM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
By the pics i would say rios.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Hoytman] #550304 01/16/09 06:22 PM
D
dryland_fish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Nice pic Looks like youll have fun this year

Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: dryland_fish] #550305 01/18/09 06:58 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Except for DNA testing, the most accurate way to determine the sub-species is the barring of the primary wing feathers. Tail feathers have too much variance in color to be used in determining it's sub-species.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Wishwords] #550306 01/22/09 06:50 AM
R
redonthehead Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Eastern turkey will be the ones that don't respond to your call. Lot smarter birds!

Your words and how you use them will expose your character
Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: redonthehead] #550307 01/24/09 02:43 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Quote:

Eastern turkey will be the ones that don't respond to your call. Lot smarter birds!

Yea, I tend to agree. Those Easterns can be some onery birds. I find that you need to adjst your calling by toning it down, and using more purrs, whines and soft talk than yelping and cutting with Easterns.
After I harvested my Eastern last year, I took and buddy and his son out. Slid the old long box out and cut loudly when I didn't receive any replies to my soft calling, and lo and behold two big Easterns answered, It wasn't long before we had two more in the bag. Just shows that sometimes, even wily Easterns go against the grain.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Gamblinman] #550308 01/24/09 11:25 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
All we have in Missouri is easterns and from one day to the next it is different. Today a 4 yr old bird commits suicide on the run and tomorrow even a jake is wise to your calling. They're not smart birds, just bi-polar.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Crazyhorse] #550309 01/26/09 09:53 PM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Quote:

This might be quicker, where are you planning on hunting this Spring?

If you are hunting in any of the following 43 counties then it does not matter whether you shoot an Eastern or a Rio Grande, the bag limit is One Gobbler.

Angelina Bowie Brazoria Camp Cass Cherokee Delta Fannin Fort Bend Franklin Grayson Gregg Hardin Harrison Hopkins Houston Hunt Jasper Lamar Liberty Marion Matagorda Montgomery Morris Nacogdoches Newton Panola Polk Rains Red River Rusk Sabine San Augustine San Jacinto Shelby Smith Titus Trinity Tyler Upshur Walker Wharton Wood

If you are hunting in any of the following 101 north Zone counties, you can kill up to 4 Rio Grande strain Gobblers during the Spring season, if you did not kill any during the Fall season:

Archer Armstrong Baylor Bell Borden Bosque Briscoe Brown Burnet Callahan Carson Childress Clay Coke Coleman Collingsworth Comanche Concho Cooke Coryell Cottle Crane Crosby Dawson Denton Dickens Donley Eastland Ector Ellis Erath Fisher Floyd Foard Garza Glasscock Gray Hall Hamilton Hardeman Hartley Haskell Hemphill Hill Hood Howard Hutchinson Irion Jack Johnson Jones Kent King Knox Lampasas Lipscomb Llano Lynn Martin Mason McCulloch McLennan Menard Midland Mills Mitchell Montague Moore Motley Nolan Ochiltree Oldham Palo Pinto Parker Potter Randall Reagan Roberts Runnels San Saba Schleicher Scurry Shackelford Somervell Stephens Sterling Stonewall Swisher Tarrant Taylor Throckmorton Tom Green Travis Upton Ward Wheeler Wichita Wilbarger Williamson Wise Young

Here are the 54 south Zone counties where you can also take 4 Rio Grande strain Gobblers if you have the tags:

Aransas Atascosa Bandera Bee Bexar Blanco Brewster Brooks Calhoun Cameron Comal Crockett DeWitt Dimmit Duval Edwards Frio Gillespie Goliad Gonzales Guadalupe Hays Hidalgo Jeff Davis Jim Hogg Jim Wells Karnes Kendall Kenedy Kerr Kimble Kinney Kleberg LaSalle Live Oak Maverick McMullen Medina Nueces Pecos Real Refugio San Patricio Starr Sutton Terrell Uvalde Val Verde Victoria Webb Willacy Wilson Zapata Zavala

Lastly, in the following counties you can only take 1 Rio Grande strain gobbler during the Spring season:

Bastrop Caldwell Colorado Fayette Jackson Lavaca Lee Milam

All you have to do is check and see what counties you will be hunting in and what the regulations are for that/those counties are.

Thanks CHC...the statement for turkeys in the Outdoor Annual and the TPWD website is a general statement for all counties having an open season on turkeys whether Fall and/or Spring.

Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: kyotee1] #550310 01/27/09 06:05 AM
J
JROD Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Ask em!

Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: JROD] #550311 01/28/09 12:21 AM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Quote:

Ask em!

Ha! What call pattern is it to ask what kind of turkey they are? Is it cluck cluck purrr?

Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: Exbellicus] #550312 02/18/09 11:11 PM
H
hawglips Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Those are rios.

Re: How do you tell the difference? [Re: hawglips] #550313 02/20/09 08:35 PM
N
NMBlackGold Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Sorry to be late on this one, but agree with Hawglips, there was one that was for sure a rio so I am assuming the rest of them are also.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide