Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492620 12/22/14 03:42 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
coming into a property un-announced, legal or not could be a little dangerous.
Some guys have had a lot of thefts and poaching going on. I have read all of the post here and agree partly with both sides but if a GW comes onto private land at dusk, I hope they have clothing that help them to be identified easily because that can be a recipe for a disaster. Their jobs are dangerous enough as t is.

If you are like me and obey the law, we just want to be left alone, but it doesn't hurt to have a good relationship with these guys. I have always been above courteous and respectful whether on the lake or passing by and chatting on the county road.

Last edited by Sparky45; 12/22/14 03:45 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: tlk] #5492625 12/22/14 03:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: Hogman4127
Do not undertsand how people get upset when a GW talks with them at their deer camp

No kidding - we welcome the GW's when they come into our camp. We are totally respectful towards them and they are the same towards us. We do everything on the up and up so nothing to fear. We want them familiar with our property in order to help in the event poachers come around. Each one we have met over the years have been professional and very reasonable

Man was at his house. GW walking around in his yard.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492645 12/22/14 03:50 PM
H
Hogman4127 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Not wanting to get into a banter but he saw blinds from the road, pulled up and got out of his truck. Spoke with the landowner letting him know he was the newly assigned warden to that county. Seems like he was just getting to know everyone and letting them get to know him. Not every encounter has to be a conspiracy theory.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492659 12/22/14 03:54 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ours climbs over the fence and comes to the cabin, even though the gate is not locked and sometimes even open. Doesn't bother us at all.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5492662 12/22/14 03:54 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
We've debated this before. They have broad authority as has been shown-basically the right to go anywhere wildlife is and/or where there is "hunting activity" taking place.

But their rights go no further than any other LEO-though many seem to "push it". IMO one is going to "push it" too far one day, someone will challenge it, and some of that IMO overbroad statutory authority will get taken away.

Encounters like yours and the one Dan related just don't sit well with me.

I absolutely agree here. Doesn't sit well with me either. Feeling his new beat out? Well using his gadget to forcefully open someone's gate is not how you make friends. GWs need us on their side as much as we need them. And like others have said, has the potential to spread unduely to other facets of law enforcement.

[Linked Image]
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492666 12/22/14 03:56 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
csi

roflmao

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492667 12/22/14 03:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't think it's a conspiracy theory at all. I just don't like anyone walking around in my yard unannounced. Period. Authority or not.

BTW, I don't like the many Border Patrol checkpoints inside the border I had to stop at 10 times last week either. Felt like Russia. Absolutely unconstitutional. They will be challenged and gone one day.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492677 12/22/14 03:59 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
My impression was he was at home not deer camp (though it sounds like he lives where he hunts) but I can see how it would be disconcerting to see someone standing in your yard having somehow gotten past your electric gate. I had the GW come out to my place when I wasn't there. He went through my cooler, freezer etc because I had the barn door open. 6-8 weeks after is when I even realized he had been there because that's when I found a note written on last yrs TPWD annual hunting booklet with a note to call him and several things underlined. I didn't like that he had gone through my things without me present and the things he underlined (regarding deer processing) don't apply to me because they are for people who lease.
They have a tough job but some of the things they elect to do can be overly invasive IMO.

Welcome to the OP.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Hogman4127] #5492687 12/22/14 04:03 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Do not undertsand how people get upset when a GW talks with them at their deer camp

He was in the man's yard, not his hunting camp!

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492691 12/22/14 04:04 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Not every property has a hunting camp.. some people actually live were they hunt.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492694 12/22/14 04:05 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Most new wardens will want to get to know the locals. Nothing but good can come from this unless your breaking the law

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492709 12/22/14 04:14 PM
S
shea.mcphail Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
My problem with this is what happens if he comes on our land and our dog attacks. We have an 80+ lb Rhodesian Ridgeback that can be protective of our property (rightfully so).

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: BOONER] #5492714 12/22/14 04:15 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: BOONER

If a police officer pulls into my driveway at home and I have done nothing wrong, then I have zero problem with that. I walk out to him and ask him politely if I can help or what he needs. Same with a GW - he is an officer of the law and has every right to be there. Again - I have no issue with any peace officer approaching me or my property

You can't fix stupid
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: tlk] #5492731 12/22/14 04:23 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

If a police officer pulls into my driveway at home and I have done nothing wrong, then I have zero problem with that. I walk out to him and ask him politely if I can help or what he needs. Same with a GW - he is an officer of the law and has every right to be there. Again - I have no issue with any peace officer approaching me or my property

The constitution states otherwise.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492738 12/22/14 04:30 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
OP, welcome to THF

What county was this in?

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Simple Searcher] #5492760 12/22/14 04:44 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

It is a gray area of the law - LEO's can enter your property for a number of reasons without a warrant. Probable cause, etc. Again, my point is if I have done nothing wrong or illegal then why would I have an issue with any LEO approaching me anywhere?

You can't fix stupid
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: tlk] #5492766 12/22/14 04:48 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S

Surely you recognize that there is a world of difference between your driveway that is openly accessible from a street, and your front yard that requires you to have an electric gate code and rive 1/4 mile down a road to an area that is not visible from the street?

Had the GW even just wakled to the front door and rang the doorbell, introducing himself as the new guy in town and wanting to get to know the landowners, I have little doubt the situation would have been perceived 180 degrees different by the OP (or pretty much anybody else for that matter).

99.99999999999% of the time it's not that the GW decided to visit your camp - it's wholly a function of the actions they have chosen before, during or even after that visit that have the biggest effect on how you view them from that point on.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: tlk] #5492779 12/22/14 04:55 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Anyone who walks into your yard un announced is going about "getting acquainted" the wrong way. Jimmying the electronic lock is "breaking". And while "entering" is legal, the "breaking" shouldn't be.

Most GW's have the good sense to climb the fence or ask to come visit.

The element of surprise can be a very dangerous and foolish endeavor.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: shea.mcphail] #5492787 12/22/14 05:01 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail
My problem with this is what happens if he comes on our land and our dog attacks. We have an 80+ lb Rhodesian Ridgeback that can be protective of our property (rightfully so).

What if your kids friend comes over one day and that dog attacks him...

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5492803 12/22/14 05:11 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

BTW, I don't like the many Border Patrol checkpoints inside the border I had to stop at 10 times last week either. Felt like Russia. Absolutely unconstitutional. They will be challenged and gone one day.

Just ask, "Am I being detained?"

Say nothing less or more.

They like that.

laugh

To be determined
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Simple Searcher] #5492818 12/22/14 05:18 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Doesn't that just apply to your domicile, car, etc? Not open private property, fenced or not, particularly when there is probable cause. With probable cause established by the hunting stands.

4th Amendment
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,[a] against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

To be determined
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Navasot] #5492872 12/22/14 05:42 PM
S
shea.mcphail Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail

What if your kids friend comes over one day and that dog attacks him...

There's a difference in knowing when someone is coming over versus just showing up. The dog can be put away if I know in advance.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5492875 12/22/14 05:43 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
With probable cause established by the hunting stands.

Not sure how I feel about that. Does a box blind imply hunting? Does a barn imply farming?

Could simply be a wildlife photographer.

[Linked Image]
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5492920 12/22/14 06:00 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Just because there is a blind is not probable cause. There is clearly no law broken for a blind to just be setting in the yard. If probable cause that there are laws broken, enter, with a warrant.
Meth is made in houses. Just because I have a house is not probable cause that I am breaking the law.
Kidd-nappers use cars to take kids. Just because I have a car doesn't give an officer probable cause to search it.
Too many people say "I am doing nothing wrong, I don't have anything to hide." When truthfully if armed officers just walked right in your front door, because they were in the neighborhood, and strip searched your house, you would have a problem.
The point is you are innocent, there is a method for dealing with criminals. It is different than dealing with an innocent citizen. Do not treat me like a criminal.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Simple Searcher] #5492937 12/22/14 06:11 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Just because there is a blind is not probable cause. There is clearly no law broken for a blind to just be setting in the yard. If probable cause that there are laws broken, enter, with a warrant.
Meth is made in houses. Just because I have a house is not probable cause that I am breaking the law.
Kidd-nappers use cars to take kids. Just because I have a car doesn't give an officer probable cause to search it.
Too many people say "I am doing nothing wrong, I don't have anything to hide." When truthfully if armed officers just walked right in your front door, because they were in the neighborhood, and strip searched your house, you would have a problem.
The point is you are innocent, there is a method for dealing with criminals. It is different than dealing with an innocent citizen. Do not treat me like a criminal.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. They know they are over the line. They just count on no one to challenge them or consent. 99% of the folks do. That's how they get away with it. But a good LEO doesn't push the envelope just because he thinks he can get away with it. Yet, some do.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide