Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: Cochise] #5405631 11/07/14 09:12 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch campfire stories. was out with BIL on a hunt. we over slept, twas daylight in de woods. we decided ta put on a stalk & hunt ta stands. BIL first i bringing up the rear 25-30yrds behind. we made it 300yrds, BIL frooze in his tracks. i stopped. he motioned to his eyes then pointed to his left. gave him the nodd, an took a knee. BIL eased ahead & around the bend ta left. i waited. deer eased out inta trail. held fire, ta let deer pass inta safe shooting lane. it was a doe. no permits. it passed, waited, nothing. mother nature was calling. so ran inta woods ta right, pudding me hands around a sappling. bearing down tight, made a deposit, did the papper work, & dubble timed it ta catch BIL. as eased around curve he was standing in middle of trail confused2 what happened? seen a doe was reply, & answered a call. he rofl ditto, waiting on U, twas wondering, SHIIIT was what he said, as his eyes buldged out the side of his head. it was a cold morning with the usual runny noses. as he went ta use his sleeve as hanky he breathed in. he was wearing coveralls & was careful ta keep them clear, but chit happens. he had got some on his sleeve. rofl we headed back out, he took the lead, i followed behind, just like before. we came ta the fork in the trail, he went ahead, i took ta the left. At the apointed time we meet back at the fork. BIL had shaved his mastash. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5405844 11/07/14 11:27 PM
C
Conchoman76 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Back in the late 90's i had a big Porcupine climb up the tree my tripod was nestled in and literally got on the platform! I climbed halfway down the tripod and jumped the rest of the way! I hunted on the ground that morning...

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: Conchoman76] #5405930 11/08/14 12:49 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
roflmao I've never seen a porcupine in the wild but could imagine....not something that is regular in my neck of the woods.

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5406119 11/08/14 03:14 AM
W
Wilderness Rob Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
last year i walked out to the blind nice and early. i oppened the door and was climbing in, i got about halfway in when i hear the sound of wings flapping and all of a sudden a big ole woodpecker lands on my arm.. i about fall out of the blind halfway down the ladder. took me another 30mins or so to get him out seeing as he pecked a hole in the side and didn't wanna go out that way. finally got a big stick and held the window open and he finally flew out... talk about excitement!!

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: Western] #5406127 11/08/14 03:19 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U
Originally Posted By: Western
You fellas that like to go skinny dipping with gators, I'm thinking canoe......................JUST SAY'N

I had thought about that, but it wasn't practical part of my trek consisted of deep water, part was barely an inch, and there would be random dry patches. Too much to portage.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5406257 11/08/14 05:36 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Love these stories rofl

I have had some of the same...owls, quail, etc.

The owl I encountered was a screech owl that was hiding in a hole in the ceiling of someone elses stand I decided to hunt that morning. Started getting light and I started glassing. It was a big stand so I had to move from window to window. Guess I made one move too loud and ticked him off because he let off the loudest screech and decided to go out the same window I was glassing...slapped me in the head before flying off.

The funniest, after the fact of course, was when I was about 9. We had a place near Corsicana off the river. Covered in hogs and a few deer. We stayed in an old camp and to take a shower, you had to get water out of the tank down the hill. Dad was cooking, so they sent me to start getting water. The hogs were known to go by that pond but not often. Coming up the hill, the path was about 3' wide and had tall grass on each side.

Well, about the 4th trip, one of the other hunters had snuck down and hid in the grass and thought it would be funny to scare me. It was funny, but not as funny as the look on his face when I shot him in the chest with my bb gun. Of course, I was terrified...first when he flew out of the grass and second when I realized I had just shot my dads friend in the chest. Being 9, I had taken my bb gun for protection...well, it stopped the threat

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5406624 11/08/14 03:21 PM
L
lodell23 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
None too scary but this past opening morning i got the feeling someone was watching me which i never get that feeling...

Texas A&M ‘22
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: txshntr] #5406636 11/08/14 03:27 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Love these stories rofl

I have had some of the same...owls, quail, etc.

The owl I encountered was a screech owl that was hiding in a hole in the ceiling of someone elses stand I decided to hunt that morning. Started getting light and I started glassing. It was a big stand so I had to move from window to window. Guess I made one move too loud and ticked him off because he let off the loudest screech and decided to go out the same window I was glassing...slapped me in the head before flying off.

The funniest, after the fact of course, was when I was about 9. We had a place near Corsicana off the river. Covered in hogs and a few deer. We stayed in an old camp and to take a shower, you had to get water out of the tank down the hill. Dad was cooking, so they sent me to start getting water. The hogs were known to go by that pond but not often. Coming up the hill, the path was about 3' wide and had tall grass on each side.

Well, about the 4th trip, one of the other hunters had snuck down and hid in the grass and thought it would be funny to scare me. It was funny, but not as funny as the look on his face when I shot him in the chest with my bb gun. Of course, I was terrified...first when he flew out of the grass and second when I realized I had just shot my dads friend in the chest. Being 9, I had taken my bb gun for protection...well, it stopped the threat

roflmao
It's funny to me because last time I tried to "scare" my boy I got smacked in the lip! The look on his face after he realized he hit me was worth the smack.

Moral of the stories here is don't scare little kids, them suckers are dangerous.

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5406732 11/08/14 04:13 PM
R
rrflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I was in my popup blind earlier this week and bobcat let out a scream just before the sun came up.

Absolute silence and darkness

Then out of nowhere and what sounded like 3 feet away it sounds like a banshee screaming.

I jumped a little bit

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5406744 11/08/14 04:27 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I never get scared walking to/from stand. I just go with the notion that I'm the baddest mofo in the woods.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5406783 11/08/14 04:57 PM
T
The Tomcat 210 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Almost had a "Messed my shorts..." story to tell Friday evening before opening morning this year. Walking back from the blind scouting I stayed longer than I thought and it was pitch dark on the way back to camp. Of course I didn't have a flashlight. All of a sudden something at least 10 feet tall and with a loud ROAR was in front of me about 5 feet. I stumbled backwards on the rocks grabbing for my pistol when I realized it was about 15 turkey taking off all at once! Wish I had it on camera...

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: stxranchman] #5406907 11/08/14 06:34 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
that old gator would have melted down like that old Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz... sick
roflmao

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: unclebubba] #5406909 11/08/14 06:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: unclebubba
I lived in Florida for 8 years, and hunted there for 5. My lease was in North Florida and consisted of 1300 acres of swamp land and pines. Most years, it was about 1000 acres of dry land and 300 acres of pure swamp. The 5th year, it was a particularly rainy year, and it turned into about 300 acres of mostly dry land, and 1000 acres of swamp. Yes, there were Gators in the area, and I had seen some pretty dang big ones. That year I had to purchase waders to Deer hunt, and many times had to wade through mid thigh deep water for 100's of yards to get to my stands. I would walk to and from my stand with my rifle pointed at the water in front of me, round chambered, safety off. I got scared every time I went to and from my stand.

One night, after climbing down, I was wading through the water and I walked up on a doe that was hiding in the sawgrass on the side of the trail. She did not bolt until I was about 5 feet away from her. At first, I was not able to distingush what large animal had made the huge splash right next to me, but yea, it scared the @#$% out of me.

The next year, I got a Lease in Georgia.
eek2

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5407479 11/09/14 01:32 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch on them cool clear chilly fullmoon lite nights. way back down in the hollows. if ya listen real close. ya can still hear my shrillish screams. twas easen threw the woods in dark on hog hunt, whin heard a snap, turned on my flash light & got scared of me own shadow. some say its a panther. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5407558 11/09/14 02:15 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
My first night hunt with my daughter was on a full moon.
After a long time sitting it was about 11:00, the moon was high, coyotes were singing, and the pigs started coming.
We were in a ground blind and the pigs were unusually active, they were running past us, squealing, and snorting like wild animals grin. They never would stop they would just shoot past the sendero that we were watching, woosh, like some kind of elusive monster on a scary movie. And all of the action only made the coyotes howl even more, it was the wildest thing I have ever heard.
Hogs would even come up right next to the blind, within a few feet of us on the inside, oinking, snorting and running. I was super creeped out, chills up my spine like never before hunting. This must of gone on for ten minutes, hogs were everywhere, then a pig finally stopped at the corn about 75 yards out, my daughter dropped him. Then they scattered with about the same amount of commotion as when they arrived.
The walk 1/4 mile back to the truck was the scariest that I have ever done. I had my side arm in-hand the entire way, if anything would have run out I would have probably shot myself.
After we were at the truck and I finally started to relax, my daughter said "no wonder you like night hunting dad, its a blast." She was as calm as if it was the middle of the day, I was a nervous wreck. She didn't realize, that was not a normal night hunt.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5407775 11/09/14 03:53 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Simple searcher, she was with dad, why would she worry, but have fun... grin

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: Western] #5407823 11/09/14 04:29 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers was canoeing with daughter & seen hogs on bank. graves me colt told daughter stay with cannoe. it was real thick area. went in, hogs had scattered. got back ta caoe, daughter was POed, she wanted ta go with me. she been in some rough stuff. PROUD daddy some cool stories. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: Western] #5407985 11/09/14 08:41 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Western
Simple searcher, she was with dad, why would she worry, but have fun... grin

x2

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: 1860.colt] #5409551 11/10/14 03:06 AM
B
Brandon82 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Stumbling on to hogs unexpectedly gets my heart racing every time.

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: Simple Searcher] #5409774 11/10/14 05:49 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
My first night hunt with my daughter was on a full moon.
After a long time sitting it was about 11:00, the moon was high, coyotes were singing, and the pigs started coming.
We were in a ground blind and the pigs were unusually active, they were running past us, squealing, and snorting like wild animals grin. They never would stop they would just shoot past the sendero that we were watching, woosh, like some kind of elusive monster on a scary movie. And all of the action only made the coyotes howl even more, it was the wildest thing I have ever heard.
Hogs would even come up right next to the blind, within a few feet of us on the inside, oinking, snorting and running. I was super creeped out, chills up my spine like never before hunting. This must of gone on for ten minutes, hogs were everywhere, then a pig finally stopped at the corn about 75 yards out, my daughter dropped him. Then they scattered with about the same amount of commotion as when they arrived.
The walk 1/4 mile back to the truck was the scariest that I have ever done. I had my side arm in-hand the entire way, if anything would have run out I would have probably shot myself.
After we were at the truck and I finally started to relax, my daughter said "no wonder you like night hunting dad, its a blast." She was as calm as if it was the middle of the day, I was a nervous wreck. She didn't realize, that was not a normal night hunt.

roflmao

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5410562 11/10/14 05:03 PM
H
Huntin & Fishin
Unregistered
Huntin & Fishin
Unregistered
H

Some times it pays off to be alert when walking in the early before daylight.

Hunting in a river bottom where “Buggers” are known to be, (according to the ranch foreman). When I got to my tree, after my long walk in pitch darkness. I noticed two different “critters tracks” in the frost that covered my wooden steps. The critters apparently have already climbed up my ladder and were possibly still up the tree where I had placed my bow stand. It’s just a coon and a bobcat, what could possibly happen?

Oh well, didn’t think they would eat me so I climbed up and got settled in my seat and waited for daybreak. Shortly after storing my back pack and hanging my bow up on its peg, I started hearing my unwanted guest above me. I didn’t have a clue what was going on above me but, it was making enough noise that I was wonder if ever deer in the river bottom was now gone. Shortly there after I could hear what I thought was deer moving below me, all I could do at this point wait and see what happens or who was going to jump out of the tree first. Sure enough that critter kept getting closer to me and was just a few feet above me several times, and then it would turn around, run back up the tree only to turn around and come back down the tree again towards me in a few minutes. I figured out that I was blocking his escape rout. This went on for what seemed like an hour.

Daylights breaking and I can now the see movement below me and what has been moving above me in total darkness; the movement below me is the buck that I have been hunting all year. Adrenaline of a different kind is now kicking in. Grabbing my bow and needing a little more daylight in the river bottom canopy of trees to make the shot. While all this time that damn critter is still causing all kinds of ruckus above me and now wants out of the tree.

Well as my luck turns even worse and disappointment set in, all I can do at this point is watch and enjoy the morning. The buck that I have been after all year had been fighting and broke off 7 or 8 of his tines.

Moral of the story, don’t be scared they wont eat ya!

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: oilfldtrash] #5410956 11/10/14 07:30 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Thunder chickens! Hunting in ID you can't the grouse so you'll walk right up on them and they take off with the loudest drumming you can imagine. Very tough on trousers...lol

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: 7ARanch] #5411108 11/10/14 08:26 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
Thunder chickens! Hunting in ID you can't the grouse so you'll walk right up on them and they take off with the loudest drumming you can imagine. Very tough on trousers...lol

rofl Possible even in the daylight!

Dennis

Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: BigPig] #5411122 11/10/14 08:33 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: BigPig
I never get scared walking to/from stand. I just go with the notion that I'm the baddest mofo in the woods.

Keep thinking that, and don't look behind you....

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Walking in and walking out...... [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5411311 11/10/14 09:57 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: BigPig

Keep thinking that, and don't look behind you....

QSYB, all a fella needs is a bed sheet I hear! What folks think will keep the gremlin under the bed from getting them grin

Dennis

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide