Print Thread
Sam Houston National Forest #5349916 10/09/14 08:51 AM
J
JakeJJ Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
I put in for the doe tag thinking I wouldn't get it. Well as luck would have it, I was drawn. I've never hunted this area or public for deer. I'm not looking for hot spots or anything, if someone would please PM me, I have some questions. Such as, if I have a doe tag and a big buck walks by, can I drop him and then come back later for my doe? questions along that caliber.

I've dug through the internet, read websites, forums, any information I can find. I just want to get my head on straight before I go walking around like an idiot. I'd like to call the park but I'm overseas right now and cant make calls like that. I'll get back right in the middle of the season now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

(edit) I know, I'm going to probably end up making a few folks angry by coming in halfway through the season. But, its the only option I have.

Last edited by JakeJJ; 10/09/14 09:03 AM.

We interrupt this marriage for hunting season.

USAF 07-Present
OIF 09-10
OSS 14
Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: JakeJJ] #5350010 10/09/14 11:56 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: JakeJJ
I Such as, if I have a doe tag and a big buck walks by, can I drop him and then come back later for my doe?

(edit) I know, I'm going to probably end up making a few folks angry by coming in halfway through the season. But, its the only option I have.

To answer your question, yes. You would use the buck tag on your licence and then you can use your doe tag whenever.

Why would anyone one get angry for you coming in halfway through the season? Halfway through, most of the folks have cleared out. Depending on where you hunt, you might have that part of the woods all to yourself! It's a great time to start.
Be sure you know where you are hunting, whether you are in the WMA section or the general forest. Get an official National Forest map, a WMA map, and remember these rules.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5426745.pdf

Good luck!

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: JakeJJ] #5350187 10/09/14 02:05 PM
R
Rus10 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
I too was selected for a doe tag, but I'm confused about where the doe tag is applicable. Is it a doe tag for the National Forest or the WMA? If its for the National Forest then are the rules standard in the WMA, 2 anterless etc?The whole WMA/National Forest is very confusing. Also I know the counties that make up the National Forest are Antler Restriction counties so any buck has to meet the restrictions.

Re: Sam Houston National Forest [Re: JakeJJ] #5350290 10/09/14 03:06 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Following the rules is the hardest part of your hunt in Sam. According to the link above from Palehorse there is only WMA in the SHNF so that means you need to purchase an APH permit. Cost is $48. This will allow you to hunt anywhere in the SHNF. Your doe tag is good for a doe at any time. Your regular license is good for a buck at anytime (during the general season of course),

Couple things to keep in mind when hunting the SHNF. The 1st is dead trees and branches. There are tons of dead and sick trees in the forest and they can coming crashing down at anytime. I have learned to not walk under or near dead trees or limbs. I have been hit by small limbs and I have had a few close calls with some big crashes so my lesson has been learned and hopefully you and others will learn from my experiences. The 2nd is make sure you know all of the rules. I hear the game wardens like to write tickets and a lot of them during deer season so make sure you follow the rules such as wearing hunter orange and keeping your gun unloaded while coming or going to your spot etc

I have never hunted deer but have spent some time hunting hogs there so if you have any questions feel free to PM me anytime.

Thanks to you and your buddies for keeping our country safe from our enemies!!!

Last edited by Bigfoot; 10/09/14 03:09 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide