Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kansas deer hunting? #5344516 10/06/14 04:53 PM
T
TxHunter18 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Me and my buddy recently got permission to hunt on some land in Kansas if we wanted to. It sounds awesome but I have no idea how to even go about this as far as license and everything else. Could someone enlighten me on what I would have to do to shoot a big Kansas buck?

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5344531 10/06/14 05:04 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch 1) ya gotta be in Kansas. who did your buddy get permmission from. might be able ta find info on internet. Do any of the other states have a hunting Form i have troubles typing on the internet, this Android makes me dummer than i realy am. best wishes flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: 1860.colt] #5344558 10/06/14 05:20 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
go to photo Form, Ramaey took deer from Kansas edit: Ramseyflag

i'm postaddic
Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5344581 10/06/14 05:33 PM
T
TxHunter18 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I am just looking for info on non resident hunting licenses in Kansas. I am reading on there website and it is obviously not like Texas where you just buy a license and go hunt. All I see is info on non-antlerless. I dont want to go all the way to Kansas and shoot a doe.

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5344587 10/06/14 05:36 PM
P
ParkCountyElkDestroyer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I would pm txshntr he seems to be the Kansas expert on here.

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5344590 10/06/14 05:38 PM
F
FLDOUG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
I know you have to apply for your Deer tag before certain date in April to hunt the area I was invited to hunt.
So you need to find out the location. I was invited this fall but missed the deadline and all tags were taken for the area I wanted to go to. SW Kansas.

http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Hunting

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5344726 10/06/14 07:19 PM
S
Spence Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
So what you need to do is figure out what unit the property is in. Then in May or so you will need to apply for a tag in that unit. You pretty much always get a tag if you apply for one. If you forget to apply for on you can buy a "leftover tag" in July for your unit if they are available, but they go fast and aren't always available for your unit. Oh ya, and you need to pick between archery or rifle because the tag is for one or the other. For buck tag and license you will be in for about 400 bucks if I recall correctly. Also when you apply for a tag you pick another adjacent unit that you can hunt also. So you get 2 units for one tag. Hope this helps.

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5344729 10/06/14 07:20 PM
S
Spence Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Where is the property, what is the nearby town?

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5344817 10/06/14 08:11 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Kansas is a draw state...and the draw for 2014 is over.

What I would do is take a scouting trip this year...get an idea of the land and where you will hand stands or put u blinds....and also go onto Goggle Earth now and look at it....make sure it has potential and to do that you will need the address.

Then you need to draw your 2015 tag. You will need to specify Bow, Muzzleloader or Riffle as your choice in the draw. You will also have to specify the unit.

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5345071 10/06/14 10:56 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
I believe the draw was April 25 this year at $346 or so, you had to state which unit. The actual tags we got were one for either sex, and one fo antler less. Make sure you get not only the tags, but a non resident license. Our landowner only allows us to bow hunt. If I was allowed to hunt with muzzleloader I would have killed a bigger deer this year. On our property there are some monsters. I treat our property like the farmer up there, stay in the fields and do not tromp through the woodlines. Place the feeder in the woodline even if it is just a few feet. I hope this helps you have a awesome opportunity. If you have any questions hit Txshntr or stexasranchman

Big Beckett!!
Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5345114 10/06/14 11:27 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Definitely not an expert, but I enjoy hunting up there.

First thing you need to do is determine what hunting unit you are in. You can look to see what the permits in that unit did last year and how the draw went. Many of the Western Units go quickly and there are no left over permits to get. Most the central and SE areas have a few left over, but they went very fast this year.

Here is the link for the Unit Map
Kansas Unit Map

Here is the link for the permits. If any where left over, there will be a date that they sold out
Permit status

For 2015, the deadline for the application is April 25th and the earliest you can apply is April 1st. The cost for a non-resident is $346.96. You don't need to buy your license at this time, but if you are drawn, you will also have to purchase it. I typically just buy mine at the same time.

Here is the link for your license and permits
License

As was said before, you need to pick rifle, muzzleloader or bow. Rifle

They don't have the dates posted for 2015, but this will give you an idea of the dates that each season opens. You can use a muzzleloader in rifle season. Bow is the only one that allows hunting the rut. Rut is typically around early to mid November. Hunter orange is required for hunting during the ML or rifle season, even if you are using a bow. During the extended doe season, a non-resident can use a rifle to take a doe and tag it with their archery tag (or they could in years past. I haven't looked to see if this law was changed but don't think it has).

Youth and Disability Season: Sept. 6 - Sept. 14, 2014

Early Muzzleloader Season: Sept. 15 - Sept. 28, 2014

Archery Season: Sept. 15 - Dec. 31, 2014

Pre-Rut Firearm Whitetail Antlerless Season: Oct. 11- Oct. 12, 2014. Any permit that allows the harvest of a whitetailed antlerless deer is valid during this season. Equipment and unit restrictions on permit imposed. Hunter orange clothing is required.

Firearms Season: Dec. 3 - Dec. 14, 2014

Firearms Extended Whitetail Antlerless-Only Deer Seasons:

Jan. 1 - 4, 2015 Units 6, 9, 10 and 17:
Jan. 1 - 11 2015 Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 16
Jan. 1 - 18, 2015 Units 10A, 15, and 19

That should get you started. Now you just need to see what your property looks like and the game of chasing whitetails begin. I love hunting up there and every year, it is a new game. Definitely a different animal than their Texas' relatives.

Let me know if you have any other questions cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5345142 10/06/14 11:41 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
That just about covers it, but I would add that I think most if not all units had leftover tags following the draw for almost the last 8 years or so. In other words, it's been a 100% draw for whitetails in recent memory and the leftover tags go on sale in June-ish. Just gotta be quick to snatch one up.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: kry226] #5345180 10/06/14 11:58 PM
M
mbavo Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
M
The unit I hunt had no left over tags, and we were not drawn this year.
Maybe next year

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: mbavo] #5345345 10/07/14 12:58 AM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: mbavo
The unit I hunt had no left over tags, and we were not drawn this year.
Maybe next year

What unit?

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5345543 10/07/14 02:20 AM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
One more thing..if you put in a draw a muzzleloader tag you can also hunt the rifle season with your muzzleloader....since muzzleloader tags are typically easier to draw...that may be a good option.

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5345581 10/07/14 02:33 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: brew0216
Me and my buddy recently got permission to hunt on some land in Kansas if we wanted to. It sounds awesome but I have no idea how to even go about this as far as license and everything else. Could someone enlighten me on what I would have to do to shoot a big Kansas buck?
First things first. Do not be fooled!!
There are no deer in Kansas!!! wink
Second, you won't be huntin deer this year in Kansas. No left over tags anywhere.
Third, your window for a tag is in April. Kansas is broke up into units. Need to know which unit you want to apply for. You also get a second unit, but it must adjoin the unit you apply for. Keep in mind, you will be charged for the tag at the time you apply. IF, for some reason you do not draw, you will be refunded the money, minus $20 or so for processing fees. If you draw a tag, you can buy your license at any time. I always buy mine when I get up there. That way, if for some reason I can't make it, at least I will save $70 something bucks. You also must have Hunters Ed.
Fourth, if you miss the draw, you will have to wait on left over tags, if any. They usually go on sale in June. You have to be quick. Tags usually sell out pretty fast, depending on the unit.
Fifth, all NR's have to choose the season they want. Muzzleloader season and bow season opens the same time, about mid Sept, except ML season runs 2 weeks but bow season runs till the end of Dec. Rifle season opens every year at the same time. It's the first Wed. after Thanksgiving and runs thru the next Sun, 12 days long. A ML tag can also be used during this time too. You can bow hunt during this time too, only exception, you have to wear orange.
I'm planning on heading up there the 9th of Nov. Rut should be in full swing then. This will be my 10th year going. It's a lot different huntin up there!!!

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5345887 10/07/14 10:46 AM
L
Lil Joe Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
I went through this process to go on a hunt in Kansas next month. The deadline to apply for your buck tag is in April. I paid $338 I think to get in the draw. If you don't get drawn they refund your money. I was told that it is usually a 100% draw for the 2 units I applied for. Also had to buy a non resident hunting license which is $78 I think.

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: sqiggy] #5345900 10/07/14 10:59 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Second, you won't be huntin deer this year in Kansas. No left over tags anywhere.
Third, your window for a tag is in April. Kansas is broke up into units. Need to know which unit you want to apply for. You also get a second unit, but it must adjoin the unit you apply for. Keep in mind, you will be charged for the tag at the time you apply. IF, for some reason you do not draw, you will be refunded the money, minus $20 or so for processing fees. If you draw a tag, you can buy your license at any time. I always buy mine when I get up there. That way, if for some reason I can't make it, at least I will save $70 something bucks. You also must have Hunters Ed.
Fourth, if you miss the draw, you will have to wait on left over tags, if any. They usually go on sale in June. You have to be quick. Tags usually sell out pretty fast, depending on the unit.
Fifth, all NR's have to choose the season they want. Muzzleloader season and bow season opens the same time, about mid Sept, except ML season runs 2 weeks but bow season runs till the end of Dec. Rifle season opens every year at the same time. It's the first Wed. after Thanksgiving and runs thru the next Sun, 12 days long. A ML tag can also be used during this time too. You can bow hunt during this time too, only exception, you have to wear orange.
I'm planning on heading up there the 9th of Nov. Rut should be in full swing then. This will be my 10th year going. It's a lot different huntin up there!!!

You also stated that if drawn for the early ML season that your tag is good for rifle season, but you can only use your ML during the rifle season. There is also lots of WIHA (walk in hunting areas). Lots in some areas and not much in others. You have to get a hunting booklet to read what areas are open when you get there to hunt. Some open in Sept and some first part of Nov. The areas of WMA Unit 1 and 2 that I have hunted the last 3 yrs has not ever had in left over tags. All tags are drawn since those areas have Mule Deer. As a non-res to hunt Mule Deer you must first apply for the WT permit and then apply for MD permit. You have to draw a WT permit then that allows you into the draw for MD permit if you want one and have applied. You can not just apply for a MD permit only. If drawn for both then your permit is for either species, one of either only. Non-res Mule Deer is hard to get since there are only a few permits drawn statewide for them.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5346492 10/07/14 04:20 PM
T
TxHunter18 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Thanks for all the info guys! I will let y'all know when I figure out what unit it is in.

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: stxranchman] #5347365 10/08/14 01:00 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: sqiggy

You also stated that if drawn for the early ML season that your tag is good for rifle season, but you can only use your ML during the rifle season.
Yes, that is correct. What I meant to say was you could use your ML during rifle season.
As far as the WIHA's, I didn't bother going into those since the OP has already stated he has private land to hunt. But it is a good idea to look at what and how many WIHA's are in the units next to the unit he will be hunting in. That way when he applies, he could have more opportunities other than that one spot.

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5347426 10/08/14 01:27 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
If your family owns land in Kansas, you can skip all the non-resident bs. My tag is 30 bucks just like resident, good for all seasons and over the counter (no limit)...don't even have to worry about the Mule deer stamp!

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: Pittstate] #5347429 10/08/14 01:32 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
If your family owns land in Kansas, you can skip all the non-resident bs. My tag is 30 bucks just like resident, good for all seasons and over the counter (no limit)...don't even have to worry about the Mule deer stamp!

Now you are just bragging...

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5347434 10/08/14 01:35 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I know....my buddies were always mad that I only had to pay $30 and they had to pay $400 (and for only one season choice!).

Txshntr
Buy your dad 80 acres up there and you can get the same deal!

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: Pittstate] #5347441 10/08/14 01:38 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I know....my buddies were always mad that I only had to pay $30 and they had to pay $400 (and for only one season choice!).

Txshntr
Buy your dad 80 acres up there and you can get the same deal!

bang I have been trying to get him to buy 80 acres...so I can get the same deal

Re: Kansas deer hunting? [Re: TxHunter18] #5347443 10/08/14 01:39 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
How about you sell me half your land for $1 and I will sign all rights back to you besides partial ownership. It's a win-win banana

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide