Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5337766 10/02/14 12:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
On thing is certain. The potential impact of day hunting by tens, or even hundreds of hunters on single, low fence tracts where deer numbers are limited is something that cannot be ignored.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Erathkid] #5337782 10/02/14 12:56 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
I don't know how it will possibly improve, BOBO. If it's brown, it's down in these situations. He'll just keep running new people in and shooting more deer. Our neighbor did that for a few years. Wiped out our herd. It's taken us 15 years to start seeing deer again on a regular basis. It was pure shot-out.

Really... Heart of Texas bow hunting is a day lease. They kill some great deer and have no shortage of deer. I share a fence line with them. Great neighbors. Like any business, it's how you run it.
Is this in Mason? Typical Edwards plateau properties have too many deer for the habitat. East Texas, not so much. Besides bowhunters don't shoot as many deer as gun hunters. Just a fact.

No not in mason. Over an hour north west of mason, so significantly Lower deer densities. Just like any business that's been in business long term, it's all how you manage it. Manage it poorly you loose customers quickly.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5337792 10/02/14 01:00 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I wouldn't bank on it being pasture causing folks to lose interest. Good visibility tends to be the key to killing a lot of deer in ETX. Best case is they stock too many cows and the deer just avoid the place bc of them. But would be willing to bet folks with a bunch of cattle now aren't looking for a quick buck off day leasing.

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5337805 10/02/14 01:05 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
On thing is certain. The potential impact of day hunting by tens, or even hundreds of hunters on single, low fence tracts where deer numbers are limited is something that cannot be ignored.

And it could work out better for you do to increased pressure. Hopefully they put restrictions and penalties. Regardless no matter what the increased pressure will push more deer to you

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5337937 10/02/14 02:25 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

And it could work out better for you do to increased pressure. Hopefully they put restrictions and penalties. Regardless no matter what the increased pressure will push more deer to you

Knowing the landowners, this will be a pure, money driven operation with no restrictions on customers. The landowner has never even made sure those who leased the properly followed the law.

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5337966 10/02/14 02:39 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
It makes you wonder if a law isn't needed to require those who sell any form of "day hunting" to high fence their property and treat it in the same manner as you would a fishing pond. It's up to the landowner to keep his pond stocked with enough fish to support his customer base. Just don't expect your neighbors, or the state-owned resource for that matter, to be forced to support you as well.

Better kick all hunting and fishing guides off public land then, chinadan

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5337967 10/02/14 02:39 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
After reading all of these comments I have come to the conclusion that you should find another place to hunt. Problem solved, bills in the mail.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5337992 10/02/14 02:50 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Kind of hard to manage someone else's land or business. Do the best you can with your place and if that is not good enough sell and find another place.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338006 10/02/14 02:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
It makes you wonder if a law isn't needed to require those who sell any form of "day hunting" to high fence their property and treat it in the same manner as you would a fishing pond. It's up to the landowner to keep his pond stocked with enough fish to support his customer base. Just don't expect your neighbors, or the state-owned resource for that matter, to be forced to support you as well.

Might as well make all fences 8' while your at it,

All problems hunting related solved.

Only hunting laws we would need would be on state and federal owned land!!!

Would solve all the my deer and my fence line posts/issues

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Trout-killer] #5338034 10/02/14 03:09 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer

Actually, the inability to use food plots or feeders, combined with a fear of safety, makes public land hunting the best deal overall in my opinion. It's where I go when I want my own place to hunt.

Besides, who wants to waste time and effort actually "hunting" whitetails in Texas when corn and old office chairs are so abundant and easy to find.

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338069 10/02/14 03:23 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Actually, the inability to use food plots or feeders, combined with a fear of safety, makes public land hunting the best deal overall in my opinion. It's where I go when I want my own place to hunt.

Besides, who wants to waste time and effort actually "hunting" whitetails in Texas when corn and old office chairs are so abundant and easy to find.

AC and Heated pickup seats work better, plus by definition if you want to HUNT them just put the truck in drive and start cruising

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5338077 10/02/14 03:27 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

AC and Heated pickup seats work better, plus by definition if you want to HUNT them just put the truck in drive and start cruising

That actually worked better back in the day when you could use dogs to run deer. All I guy need do is ride the roads listening for the sound of approaching hounds and pick a spot to catch them and the deer crossing the road. It far less time than it takes to watch one show up at a feeder, a guy could have one loaded in the truck bed and headed to the house.

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338091 10/02/14 03:34 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Just think if every property was HF you could run dogs again for deer and coons

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338108 10/02/14 03:42 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
My experience with day lease operations is very negative. Definitely "if it's brown, it's down". I've mentioned here before that the neighbor to my family property in San Saba Co is running a day lease operation that has decimated the local deer herd. It has rendered hunting on our property useless and deer management is out the window. There is no age structure in the herd. I have not hunted on the property in 10+ years. It's a lost cause.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5338112 10/02/14 03:46 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Don't count on the number of hunters dropping with the deer population. There are an unlimited number of folks who will pay to hunt anything cheap. Not that that is a bad thing it's just the facts.

The only real solution is fencing. Unless you're willing to resign yourself to hunting on a property with only a few really smart deer.

New BS laws are not the answer.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338263 10/02/14 04:51 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

So people should only guide on public land/waters because its more "difficult" and a greater "challenge"?

I'm having a hard time following your logic here chinadan...

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338278 10/02/14 04:57 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Seeing people argue on the side of the day lease is proof of one of two things... some of yal just have to be the devils advocate or you just really don't care for Dan.

I don't know a single person who wants a day lease next door to the hunting property. I sure know I do not.

Good luck Dan.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338303 10/02/14 05:08 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Its not a for or against day lease argument. Its a landowners rights argument.

Some folks feel neighboring landowner rights should be held in check if they don't agree with their personal goals....others do not.

Pretty simple....

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338309 10/02/14 05:11 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Should make your buddies place a sanctuary if he keeps it quiet... I wouldn't be worried

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Navasot] #5338318 10/02/14 05:16 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Should make your buddies place a sanctuary if he keeps it quiet... I wouldn't be worried

THIS^^^

If his land is next to a barren property with little to no cover all he needs to do is feed the deer on his side and try to keep as many of the deer in his pasture so that they have no reason to venture into the killing fields.
Problem solved.

I agree with redchevy, nobody wants a day lease next door, but under the right conditions it can be used as a management tool, but if it's just about money then it's more of a curse than anything.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338323 10/02/14 05:19 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
All it takes is a killing field and a corn pile for does to get the majority of dumb 2yo 13" bucks and yearling spikes shot in an area. It's a recipe to further screw up the ratios in that area of Houston Co.

Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW] #5338329 10/02/14 05:24 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW
This is the solution to the fence hunting idiots we used to have on our lease in junction Tx. Every time a hunter on adjacent property would put a tripod or a box blind within 25 feet of our fence line we would blanket the area with predator urine up and down the fence line, hang metallic streamers in the trees OR if it was a box blind with windows on our fence line we would run old tennis privacy tarps for about 50 feet so they could not see or shoot anything on our ranch and the deer would avoid the area. Can't tell you how many times they called the game warden or jumped the fence to cut down the streamers and tarps sometimes I would just go sit on my four wheeler right on the fence with head lights on and engin running before day light! When they bitched at me I would say " ya know what? There's 5000 acres on your place go hunt your own deer and stop trying to poach ours. YES it is legal to hunt anywhere on your property BUT there are also common courtesy rules that apply when setting deer blinds & feeders.....the best thing that ever happened on our place was when one of my hunters found a box blind on the fence line in his hunting area. He immediately built a cheap 4x4 box blind painted it hot pink and set it directly across the fence from the other guy. The two blinds were like 5 feet apart! Jimmy would purposely go and sit in the blind on saturday mornings drinking coffee playing his iPod with an external speaker and smoking a cigar! When the other guy showed up he would just start loudly talking to him across the fence until the other guy snapped & left! It was hilarious! Funny thing was after about a week or two Jimmy would drive over there and his blind had been hacked to pieces and the other blind was gone! laugh

So, you'd be happier if his blind was 150-200 yds from the fence, right? But if his blind is at the fence, and he isn't shooting into your place, aren't all of his shots going to be in a safe direction for you, i.e. away from you and your land? If he's 150yds in and a deer is between him and the fence, isn't it then coming in your direction? Are you mad about the safety issue or something else?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Texas Dan] #5338335 10/02/14 05:28 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Again!.........http://www.countrymax.com/Extra-Heavy-T-Post-8-Foot/
And a few rolls of slick wire should do the trick.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: Trout-killer] #5338370 10/02/14 05:43 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Its not a for or against day lease argument. Its a landowners rights argument.

Some folks feel neighboring landowner rights should be held in check if they don't agree with their personal goals....others do not.

Pretty simple....

Im all for property owners rights. If he wants to build an apartment complex or golf course on it more power too him. The deer are not part of the real property.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Day Leasing Neighbor [Re: redchevy] #5338402 10/02/14 06:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Seeing people argue on the side of the day lease is proof of one of two things... some of yal just have to be the devils advocate or you just really don't care for Dan.

I don't know a single person who wants a day lease next door to the hunting property. I sure know I do not.

Good luck Dan.

Don't know a single person that wants any hunters next door or any neighbors for that fact

Day leases don't bother me. Even the poorly ran ones. 9/10 all they are doing is killing babies via dispersal, just like any poorly managed property that has hunters on it. This in a nut shell makes it easy to hold deer and determine your hit lists.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide