Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,362
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail #531882 01/02/09 01:29 AM
G
gunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
If you are like me/limited resources to work with...but love to hunt...no need for you to spend bucks for someone else to show you where to hunt etc. Just came back from Kansas two days before Christmas and saw tons of pheasant and limited out @ day for a week!!! Lots of pheasant this year and lots of public hunting areas that are exceptional.....I live in Midland/Odessa, TX and need a place to quail hunt...very dry and no hatch where I have hunted the last 12yrs...would trade you info. for Kansas for info in TX or South New Mexico where I can hunt for the cost of gas....(must be quail there) please reply to private mail...no need telling everyone my spots in Kansas or Tx

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: gunter] #531883 01/02/09 02:29 AM
J
jkk Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Was it public land?

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: jkk] #531884 01/02/09 05:55 PM
G
gunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
no, not public as in State or Federal land...pheasant not exceptional in all Kansas.....

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: gunter] #531885 01/02/09 06:04 PM
A
Armadillo Tacos Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
And these "free" Kansas hunts will come complete with permission slips from the land owner since you say it isn't Federal or State land?

If it isn't Federal or State that would only leave private. Kansas law requires anyone hunting "private land" that they do not own to have in possession a permission note from the land owner to hunt.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531886 01/02/09 09:52 PM
B
Bud1Pointer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
could be Walk in Hunting Areas. State leases from land owners for public use.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Bud1Pointer] #531887 01/02/09 11:37 PM
J
jkk Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I have land with quail. Give me some more info.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531888 01/03/09 12:12 AM
G
gunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
Hey,
I said it was free..I just hunted it...I didn't say I would do all the work for you..just tell you where you could kill your limit of pheasant (if you know how to hunt pheasant) I saw guys in the restaurants complaining that there weren't anybirds when I knew better...

Last edited by gunter; 01/03/09 12:17 AM.
Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: gunter] #531889 01/03/09 12:22 AM
A
Armadillo Tacos Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
So I'll assume it is private which is not worth much seeing that one couldn't just go hunt without some contact information and hopefully an accommodating land owner.

I could put you on some birds, but this info trade seems to be all in your favor. Besides I really don't need any info on Kansas.

BudPointer, if it is "Walk-In" land, it wouldn't be considered private. So that would mean it falls under "State" or Federal".

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531890 01/03/09 12:30 AM
G
gunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
Whatever!!!

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: gunter] #531891 01/03/09 12:33 AM
A
Armadillo Tacos Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Excellent point.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531892 01/03/09 12:38 AM
G
gunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
You sound like an outfitter...all about the bucks!!!

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: gunter] #531893 01/03/09 12:45 AM
A
Armadillo Tacos Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Not sure how you could even assume that. Not even a good guess.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531894 01/16/09 08:00 AM
F
flyboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Gunter,

Relax, there are a lot of unspoken rules on this forum you're expected to know and respect, and asking is a violation of one of them.

I've been helped out by a friend when I screwed up, so I'll just suggest that you come in more slowly, make some friends, and they will help you find the best hunting in Texas.

One of my buddies did that for me and we had a great hunt today with almost two limits in two.

It was a good day.

Come in slow. Make friends.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: flyboy] #531895 01/22/09 10:34 PM
G
GunTotinDemocrat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Gunter:

The unspoken rule is stupid and hurts our sport. I've watched people come on this site and admit that they were brand new to hunting (or to Texas) and that they were looking for help in getting going. They asked logical questions, like where would be a good place for some public hunting. Instead of being welcomed to the dwindling fraternity of hunters (or welcome to Texas), they've been rudely upbraided for violating the unspoken rule. I don't know what they did ultimately, but I do know they would have been more inclined to spend money and time advancing our sport if their first experience with other hunters was more pleasant. It's taken me 6 years to get to a position where I can successfully hunt public land for deer, quail, dove, pheasant, turkeys, and hogs. I'm a hunting nut, and I have more time than most people do to get out there and get skunked while learning the ropes. Some people are more casual than that but might still be good additions to the hunting community.

So here you go, Gunter: At Matador WMA in Cottle County up near Childress, there are large stands of knee high shinnery (scrub) oaks on the West Aermotor, Sisk Pen, and Ox fields (which are marked on the map of Matador in the map books you get with your public land permit). We pushed four coveys on West Aermotor in a half day this past Saturday. The birds run like crazy in those oaks, and if they're coveyed up, they're likely to flush wild. Once they're broken up, if you'll do the leg work to follow them, your dogs will have an easier time holding the singles and small groups.

We ran into hunters who were squealing like stuck pigs over not finding any birds. Nobody in our group limited, but we got a good harvest and were working birds nearly the whole time. We're going back this weekend.

You ought to tell us where that land in Kansas is, too.

My crew: Bekah and Miss Belle, Jason, and Andrew
Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: GunTotinDemocrat] #531896 01/23/09 07:05 PM
C
captnkirk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Being a newcomer to Texas, born and raised in Kansas, I have been greeted with great hospitality on the fishing forum. Lots of help came my way and was greatly appreciated. I am not in position to hunt in this state due to finances. I can see that with the prices of hunting in this state, that one would trade info, but would rather see guys like guntotindemocrat. Can't kill all of them right...so help a guy out. I own a guiding business in Kansas, but I would be more than happy to give advice on areas around the state for FREE. Just email me at kodykirk_01@yahoo.com. I know I'll need some help sometime down the line, and I'll pay it foreward. So if anyone needs help...shoot me an email. Thanks.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531897 01/23/09 11:03 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Quote:

So I'll assume it is private which is not worth much seeing that one couldn't just go hunt without some contact information and hopefully an accommodating land owner.

I could put you on some birds, but this info trade seems to be all in your favor. Besides I really don't need any info on Kansas.

BudPointer, if it is "Walk-In" land, it wouldn't be considered private. So that would mean it falls under "State" or Federal".

The state of KS leases huge amounts of land for around .50 per acre and opens it for hunting. It is private land that has been leased. I hunted it for 9 years and killed Muleys, whitetail, pheasants, doves, quail, prairie chickens, and ducks. You get a map of the WIH when your buy your liscense. Look at SW KS, within 75 miles of Garden City. Or just help Gunter out and he will pinpoint them for you. It some big wide open country.

Last edited by aggie7734; 01/23/09 11:05 PM.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: A.B.] #531898 01/24/09 05:42 AM
A
Armadillo Tacos Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
I am not sure you understood. I don't need info on Kansas. I've pretty well got that state covered. I lived there for 6 years.

And Gunter's cryptic answers may have been the cause of or the lack of receiving information. He just didn't seem to either really have any information or the information he might have wouldn't be an even trade. He said it wasn't state or federal so that eliminates Walk-in areas.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: GunTotinDemocrat] #531899 01/24/09 05:54 AM
A
Armadillo Tacos Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
A gun toting democrat. I have never heard of that distinction before. Seems that would be the same as someone who owns a coal mine supporting and voting for carbon credits. Just doesn't make sense to me.

The democratic agenda has been for a very long time to take away or cripple the gun industry every chance they get. Not to mention driving the price of the sport up.

You might be a great person and someone I'd hunt with, but I just don't understand how one can support a political party that is exactly opposite of what brings you and me joy.

I am just asking. Not trying to be mean. If you prefer not to answer on the forum, PM me for civil discussion. Who knows I might actually learn something.

Just a note about The Matador. It wasn't to long ago that pushing 15 covey's a day wasn't out of the ordinary.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531900 01/24/09 10:05 AM
C
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
South Dallas is full of gun toting dems, and there ain't no quail at Matador.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: coolie] #531901 01/27/09 04:11 AM
G
GunTotinDemocrat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
There's more of us than they think. I've got close friends that I hunt and fish with, and others at the gun club who are "in the closet" about being gun totin' dems. And by the way, now that I'm down off my soapbox, I'm back to saying there aren't any quail at Matador.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531902 01/27/09 04:12 AM
G
GunTotinDemocrat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
pm sent

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: GunTotinDemocrat] #531903 01/27/09 04:31 AM
A
Armadillo Tacos Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Received and answered. Thanks for taking to the time.

And as I have said before on occasion, There are no quail at Matador, it is a myth.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531904 01/27/09 04:44 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Quote:

I am not sure you understood. I don't need info on Kansas. .......And Gunter's cryptic answers may have been the cause of or the lack of receiving information.

I sent him some ideas of what I know, but never got a reply back. I too did not ask for information in return, nor did I need any. My suggestion was probably just not for the area he is wanting to hunt. I was surprised I did not at least get a thank you reply. But that's ok, hope he finds what he is looking for. Decent Cheap or Public Quail has been difficult to find for some time. It's why I hunt Snipe mostly.
John

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Sniper John] #531905 01/27/09 06:20 AM
A
Armadillo Tacos Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Snipe, the other, other white meat.

Re: Trade info on Free Kansas Pheasant hunting for info on free TX quail [Re: Armadillo Tacos] #531906 01/27/09 10:49 PM
G
GunTotinDemocrat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Gunter, you're making the unwritten rule look like a good idea, and you're chopping the soapbox right out from under my feet. Come on, man.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide