Print Thread
Single pin or multiple pins for hunting POLL #5288787 09/05/14 01:46 AM
J
JThoele Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
Another poll for a commonly discussed topic, and I am curious of how the THF group falls into percentage that use which. Strictly speaking for hunting use: which do you most commonly use? Sorry it leaves out the traditional guys and the few compounder's that shoot without sights. Choose your poll answer, and feel free to comment as to why you use what. Hopefully the info shared here can help some guys new to getting into archery hunting and making choices for equipment. Thanks.

Single pin or Multi pin for hunting poll
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/05/14 01:42 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Re: Single pin or multiple pins for hunting POLL [Re: JThoele] #5288828 09/05/14 02:05 AM
J
JThoele Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
I find myself hunting with a single pin for the past three seasons. Before that I grew up shooting bows with 3-5 multiple pins and cut my teeth into archery with such equipment. My complaint of the multiple pin approach is though it is generally adequate for hunting target accuracy, it's precision was lacking when shots fell in between distances of the increments of the pins. Yes, you counter this by shading higher or lower, but it calls for guesswork. Secondly, my sight picture is more cluttered with multiple pins of various colors in the field of view. Scientifically, it is theoretically impossible to be as precise with multiple pins distracting focus of one's eye/brain in your field of view as one can be with a single aiming point. With modern bows, shots of 60+ yards are quite doable (ethics of such is another story and has been debated on here frequently) to do such with precision from a multiple pin sight would generally require 5, up to 7 pins. In my opinion this creates an extremely cluttered, "busy" sight picture that robs focus and thus precision potential. Thus, I give the advantage to a single pin in this arena. It's greatest downfall is that once at full draw, if your target spooks and moves to a new distance, you lose all previously mentioned precision with a set single pin, and would be required to pass on the shot, make a guesstimate hold over correction, or release draw reset pin distance and repeat efforts to execute the shot. I have fallen victim to this a few times. Notably, on a mule deer hunt where I had a pin set to 25yards giving me 10-30 yard vital zone capability, I had a deer spook and run to about 40-43 yards, a doable kill shot especially in the open country I was hunting in, but not a shot I wanted to risk shanking by bad hold over guesstimation. I let down, reset, and came back to full draw just as the deer took off again offering no shot opportunity. Definitely frustrating, but all part of the game. I am pleased with my particular single pin sight, a Copper John Mark IV, for both cost and performance.

Re: Single pin or multiple pins for hunting POLL [Re: JThoele] #5288838 09/05/14 02:11 AM
N
Nolan Outdoors Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
For a deer hunting sight I prefer a three pin fixed Spot Hogg Hogg It. When hunting elk I prefer a three pin movable sight. I set the three pins for 20-35-35 yards for deer.

Most deer hunting is done from a fixed location giving you time to predetermine likely target distances. I have found that when it is time to shoot a critter the less I have to think about the better off I am. Since I have already determined which pin I am going to use at which "marker" I have identified, it becomes much easer to pull off the shot. I would never try a 35+ yard shot on a whitetail.

Elk hunting is a different game. You are moving and the elk is moving. So I like three fixed pins so all I have to do is guess the range and use the correct pin. IF I elect to take a long shot on an elk, the movable sight gives me a better chance of making a long shot.

More than 3 pins get in my way, I don't know how guys use 5 or 7 pins.

Oklahoma NWTF State Board
Field Staff
Black Eagle Arrows
Grim Reaper Broadheads
Owner of Hang 'em High Game Calls
www.nolanoutdoors.com
[Linked Image]

Re: Single pin or multiple pins for hunting POLL [Re: JThoele] #5290375 09/06/14 12:12 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Multi pin sights are just too crowded for my brain. I use a single pin slider and just move the pin to the appropriate mark. I've tried 3 and 5 pin sights, they just don't do it for me. To each his own.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Single pin or multiple pins for hunting POLL [Re: JThoele] #5290407 09/06/14 12:35 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
3 pin slider

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Single pin or multiple pins for hunting POLL [Re: JThoele] #5290594 09/06/14 02:26 AM
J
JThoele Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
J
What model BOBO?

Re: Single pin or multiple pins for hunting POLL [Re: JThoele] #5291021 09/06/14 01:54 PM
M
Mankussm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
5 pin Trophy Ridge Hitman. I don't want to fool around with setting yardage prior to the shot. I think it just one more thing I have to mess with when concentrating for the shot.

2O1R2D0

Re: Single pin or multiple pins for hunting POLL [Re: JThoele] #5291712 09/07/14 12:24 AM
B
bradtown Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I like the multi pin for spot and stalk

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide