Page 1 of 2 1 2
HIP certification #5269937 08/24/14 11:27 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Went to academy today to pick up my license. The girl working the machine forgot to HIP certify me and I forgot to remind her I needed it. Can I just walk into any academy and tell them I need my HIP certification?

I've never forgot to get it when I bought my license....

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5270014 08/25/14 12:13 AM
D
Duck Buster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Yes. Just need proof you filed it.

Unfortunately you'll need to carry that second peice of paper with you whenever you hunt.

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5270040 08/25/14 12:22 AM
T
Trout-killer Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks.

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5270074 08/25/14 12:38 AM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
That's why I like to do it online.. Just do it all at once and then I do not have to have 20 papers with me haha

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5270133 08/25/14 01:01 AM
T
Trout-killer Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
I normally only have the one too. But, with all the back-to-schoolers at academy today I was really ready to get out of there. It slipped my mind. Lol.

But hey, after I get it I'll just say I "lost" my license and get it all put on one...problem of carrying two solved. wink

Last edited by Trout-killer; 08/25/14 01:02 AM.
Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5271222 08/25/14 06:58 PM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
TK, wont they make you pay for another one when you "lose" yours?

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: HIP certification [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #5271557 08/25/14 10:02 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Arise.Kill.Eat.

I think its a couple dollars for a replacement.

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5271625 08/25/14 10:42 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer

I think it's $10

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5271655 08/25/14 10:57 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Meh...

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5271746 08/25/14 11:48 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
.........HIP is a monument to the stupidity of our government. An utter and complete waste of time in every way that contributes nothing to the resource.

Since HIP was implemented, I have never killed a migratory bird of any kind. Neither has anyone I know. Fact is, most places in these parts that sell licenses skip over that part of the process by posting all no answers.

Absolute BS

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5271754 08/25/14 11:51 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Yup

Re: HIP certification [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #5271812 08/26/14 12:20 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: 1 Year Wonder
.........HIP is a monument to the stupidity of our government. An utter and complete waste of time in every way that contributes nothing to the resource.

Since HIP was implemented, I have never killed a migratory bird of any kind. Neither has anyone I know. Fact is, most places in these parts that sell licenses skip over that part of the process by posting all no answers.

Absolute BS

Even though HIP has questions about harvest, they do not use those initial numbers for harvest estimates. It is only to find out if you hunt those birds and add your contact information to a database for each state. Then they randomly select a sample of those hunters in each State to send surveys to for more accurate information. Some get asked to provide wings of birds they have killed. If you answer no that you did not hunt each of those birds, your most likely going to get skipped over in the secondary surveys. If not and your one of those people that routinely answers no no matter how many you killed anyway, your also not likely to be one that would answer all the questions and return the survey, nor one to mail in the wings. That is if you even opened the letter at all. Because of this, the hunters that actually take the time to answer all the questions and return the surveys are going to be more honest. I bet the harvest estimates are not as far off as people think.
http://www.flyways.us/regulations-and-harvest/harvest-trends

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5271835 08/26/14 12:31 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
From last years waterfowl hunter survey showing how they choose who to send the surveys to.
http://www.flyways.us/sites/default/file...s_estimates.pdf
The FWS used this prior-year
information as a predictor of their current year hunting activity and success to assign each hunter
to a success/activity stratum for each of the 10 species or species-groups based on his or her
answers to the screening questions. From each State list the FWS selected stratified samples for
each species or species-group, sampling the small group of active/very successful hunters at a
high rate, the larger group of less successful hunters at a lower rate, and the very large group of
hunters who rarely if ever hunt the species or species-group at a very low rate. The FWS
conducted 5 separate harvest surveys to estimate hunter activity and harvest of: (1) waterfowl
(ducks, sea ducks, geese, and brant), (2) doves and band-tailed pigeons, (3) woodcock, (4) snipe,
rails, gallinules, and coots, and (5) sandhill cranes in Alaska.

Re: HIP certification [Re: john paul] #5272219 08/26/14 03:50 AM
M
Merican Duck Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: john paul
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer

I think it's $10

Whats to keep the deer guys from "losing" their license after filling all their tags and getting a new shiny license with new tags? Don't say integrity, we all know the days when a mans word meant something are all but gone frown

Last edited by Arise.Kill.Eat.; 08/26/14 03:50 AM.

Arise.Kill.Eat -Acts 10:13
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
I have read a bunch of stuff on the internet about Star Wars but that does not mean I can skin a deer with a light saber.
Re: HIP certification [Re: Merican Duck Hunter] #5272493 08/26/14 12:10 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T

Whats to keep the deer guys from "losing" their license after filling all their tags and getting a new shiny license with new tags? Don't say integrity, we all know the days when a mans word meant something are all but gone frown

Sir, for that answer you will have to go to TPWD. Though, I doubt they could give you any other answer.

Re: HIP certification [Re: 1 Year Wonder] #5272521 08/26/14 12:40 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B

Absolute BS

My favorites are the hardcore duck hunters than inflate their numbers. I seem to always be behind them or next to them in line. I always laugh when they do their HIP Certification. Point in case this year I was in line behind a kid decked out in his Drake Waterfowl DryFit and Drake Hat. I knew what was coming, and he didn't disappoint! Homeboy killed 300 ducks last year, 600 geese, and 700 doves. I just shook my head. juggle

Re: HIP certification [Re: BarneyWho] #5272547 08/26/14 01:02 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

Absolute BS

My favorites are the hardcore duck hunters than inflate their numbers. I seem to always be behind them or next to them in line. I always laugh when they do their HIP Certification. Point in case this year I was in line behind a kid decked out in his Drake Waterfowl DryFit and Drake Hat. I knew what was coming, and he didn't disappoint! Homeboy killed 300 ducks last year, 600 geese, and 700 doves. I just shook my head. juggle

Sorry bout that, but i dont lie

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5272605 08/26/14 01:46 PM
C
Centurion Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
In Oklahoma the most you can claim is over 30. My question is there anyone who shoots less than 30?

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5272661 08/26/14 02:14 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
HIP is a bogus number.
My wife got my license at Bass Pro when she got hers. The register guy just put 0 for each entry on mine and her's, they never even asked her. And you have to figure that they do that for everyone that goes to the register. (maybe it averages out okay with beaversnipe's 700 grin )
And then they do counts and surveys out in the field. Makes you wonder why they even bother with the HIP.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: HIP certification [Re: Simple Searcher] #5272742 08/26/14 03:04 PM
C
Centurion Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Makes you wonder why they even bother with the HIP.

Read the posts above by SniperJohn.

Re: HIP certification [Re: Centurion] #5272797 08/26/14 03:32 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I love the looks of some of the newbies when asked if they harvested a snipe, rail, woodcock or coot. eek2

When buying your licenses and stamps, make sure you get what you actually need and pay for. Don't rely on the clerk to help you either, after all you are the one on the hook!

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5273319 08/26/14 07:59 PM
D
duckboy007 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Been part of the wing survey twice, and the hunters log once. Had several professors that helped set up the system.

It's a good system. I believe the only numbers they care about are less than 10 or more than 10 harvested. The numbers you tell them for the HIP registration at the counter don't matter for the actual harvest estimates. Sniper John gave it the full rundown.

They also get a corroboration of the harvest numbers based on the number of bands reported every year.

My dog snores.
Secret Agent Custom Calls
Re: HIP certification [Re: Centurion] #5273432 08/26/14 09:07 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: LTMFH
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Makes you wonder why they even bother with the HIP.

Read the posts above by SniperJohn.

I was selected for the wing send in thingy back when I was young and dumb and didn't know better. Long years before HIP.

They randomly sent out packets, but now they use HIP to determine who to send um too. Musta been an Aggie that dreamed this crap up.......why send um randomly when you can create another bureaucracy to gather useless data to do the same thing.
Good grief

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: HIP certification [Re: Trout-killer] #5273522 08/26/14 10:03 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Actually that person would be from Washington State University as it is based on "Dillman’s Total Design Method" for mail surveys. banana

Before HIP it was not exactly Random. Since the early 1950s they used a database of Federal Duck Stamp purchasers. HIP simply did away with some of the federal "bureaucracy" and transferred the intitial data collection to the States. That is probably not such a bad thing. The states create the databases from those that indicated they hunted migratory game the year before and provide them to USFWS. If collecting this data is useless, how do you propose they determine hunter activity and harvest data. Without it, animal rights groups will sue and shutdown those seasons, same as they do when most any other hunting plan or decision is implemented when there has not been an EIS done to justify it. I am sure the market hunting days were fun and it would have been a blast to contribute to the extinction of the passenger pigeon, but those days are long gone my friend.

Re: HIP certification [Re: Sniper John] #5273757 08/27/14 12:26 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Wow, complete BS and serves no purpose........................... <sarcasm>
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Absolute BS

Even though HIP has questions about harvest, they do not use those initial numbers for harvest estimates. It is only to find out if you hunt those birds and add your contact information to a database for each state. Then they randomly select a sample of those hunters in each State to send surveys to for more accurate information. Some get asked to provide wings of birds they have killed. If you answer no that you did not hunt each of those birds, your most likely going to get skipped over in the secondary surveys. If not and your one of those people that routinely answers no no matter how many you killed anyway, your also not likely to be one that would answer all the questions and return the survey, nor one to mail in the wings. That is if you even opened the letter at all. Because of this, the hunters that actually take the time to answer all the questions and return the surveys are going to be more honest. I bet the harvest estimates are not as far off as people think.
http://www.flyways.us/regulations-and-harvest/harvest-trends

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide