stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: don k
But since they came from a LF would it be ethical for a LF purest to harvest them without feeling guilty?

Ethics has nothing to do with it, desire does...

A LF purist would not shoot them in a HF. Many herds in HF ranches are native deer that were once LF deer or related to LF deer right outside the fence. The fence is where their issue is, not the deer in it

What if the situation is reversed? HF native untagged deer gets onto your LF lease, would you shoot it?

I am not a purist in any form, so hell yes.

And if it escaped, it is no longer a HF deer. Might not be a native, but it isn't HF grin

You must be busy today with this cliff notes short version of a reply grin

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: stxranchman] #5235899 08/05/14 01:08 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
But since they came from a LF would it be ethical for a LF purest to harvest them without feeling guilty?

A LF purist would not shoot them in a HF. Many herds in HF ranches are native deer that were once LF deer or related to LF deer right outside the fence. The fence is where their issue is, not the deer in it

What if the situation is reversed? HF native untagged deer gets onto your LF lease, would you shoot it?

loser8

[Linked Image]
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5236099 08/05/14 03:01 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
So if you raise a deer in a HF and he gets to be a 300" buck then you station someone at the outside of the gate and chase him out and the person gets him as he is running out of the gate he can be put in the book? I have been wondering how that worked. Now the LF hunter has a clear conscience and everybody is happy.

Re: Hypothetical question [Re: Navasot] #5238993 08/06/14 10:16 PM
texretvet Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: Payne
Yes, some DA left the gate open. Leave it the way you found it..

hanged

Yep

Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5239011 08/06/14 10:21 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
yes... the gate was left open.

and whoever left it open needs to pay!

other than that I don't see a problem if your HF trophies didn't escape.

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: dogcatcher] #5239044 08/06/14 10:38 PM
B
BowsNbones88 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg
I would sell the land and start fishing.

up

Merica!

MERICA! all that needs to be said
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5239054 08/06/14 10:41 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
So if you raise a deer in a HF and he gets to be a 300" buck then you station someone at the outside of the gate and chase him out and the person gets him as he is running out of the gate he can be put in the book? I have been wondering how that worked. Now the LF hunter has a clear conscience and everybody is happy.

Makes just as much sense as having a fencing rule for your "club".

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5239077 08/06/14 10:51 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Makes for dangerous deer! Now they are educated...AND...have street smarts.

I'm with .45, we don't stand a chance.

Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5239212 08/07/14 12:07 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
it's called Fair Chase deer has choice HF or LF flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: 1860.colt] #5239488 08/07/14 02:22 AM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: colt.45
So that is where the term "Fair Chase" came from.

Re: Hypothetical question [Re: stxranchman] #5240572 08/07/14 06:50 PM
A
Aim Small Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A

if it had freaky drop antlers or kickers or something and just stood there like it was one of them obviuos pen bucks I wouldnt kill it. If it looked like a normal AR buck how would I even know unless it watched my get ni the tree or something?

Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5240873 08/07/14 09:31 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45
So that is where the term "Fair Chase" came from.
got nothing against HF just never hunted on one. have had a real nice deer (not a 300") at edge of lease just not able to take shot i felt comfurtable with. it ended up jumping LF into an open field & pranced after two doe's. Fair Chaise all three wondered off inta the sunset. was just as proud as U shooting your 300" HF deer. guess its how i was raised open range is a Free deer. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5241082 08/07/14 11:33 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
HF-LF is all up to the individual. I guided hunters for many years. I have guided hunters from those who knew squat about hunting or shooting to many writers for national hunting magazines. I never had one complain about if they were hunting HF or LF. Those that think hunting HF is like shooting fish in a barrel have probably not hunted one. A good guide can make a hunt as easy or hard as he thinks the hunter wants it. I have had hunters that bragged on their knowledge of how to hunt an animal. The ones that bragged are usually the ones that finally cried uncle. I have a couple of Mouflon Rams in about 350 acres. They have been there since born a little over 3 years ago. They are as wild if not wilder than any on a LF place. I also have WT in there. They are as wild if not wilder than any I have on a LF place I have. Very few HF places are nothing but pens full of bottle raised animals with ear tags. The majority are good hunting operations that will give you just as much hunt as you want.

Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5241389 08/08/14 02:24 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You own a property. Part is LF and part is HF. There is a gate between the two. The gate is left open and some deer from the LF go through the gate and are now in the HF. Is there anything wrong with this?

No.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5241507 08/08/14 03:02 AM
Z
zederwatz Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Z
LF - HF, I thought I was always LF, but I may have goofed up. Back in 1975, during deer season I had gone home on vacation to do my annual meat gathering. Back then, the ranch had some fields with HF to save the crops from deer. Well, dad mentioned that the 32-20 wouldn't reach them deer at the 325 yards he usually saw them at. After unpacking, I took the 270, laid prone at the gate and shot that doe at 325 yds. Then we took the ranch truck and brought her to the skinning rack. What may be the goof us is that the deer was definitely in HF, but my body was on the LF side of the gate but the muzzle of the gun was in HF. As some of you know a weed is something that is growing where it is not wanted. ie, rose can be a weed!! ie, a deer unwanted in the field is a varmint. Therefore in my mind, I shot a HF varmint.
Need to check with my shrink on this....

Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5241575 08/08/14 03:29 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
HF-LF is all up to the individual. I guided hunters for many years. I have guided hunters from those who knew squat about hunting or shooting to many writers for national hunting magazines. I never had one complain about if they were hunting HF or LF. Those that think hunting HF is like shooting fish in a barrel have probably not hunted one. A good guide can make a hunt as easy or hard as he thinks the hunter wants it. I have had hunters that bragged on their knowledge of how to hunt an animal. The ones that bragged are usually the ones that finally cried uncle. I have a couple of Mouflon Rams in about 350 acres. They have been there since born a little over 3 years ago. They are as wild if not wilder than any on a LF place. I also have WT in there. They are as wild if not wilder than any I have on a LF place I have. Very few HF places are nothing but pens full of bottle raised animals with ear tags. The majority are good hunting operations that will give you just as much hunt as you want.
scratch flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5242906 08/08/14 09:39 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
popcorn

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: Hypothetical question [Re: don k] #5242966 08/08/14 10:21 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
You own a property. Part is LF and part is HF. There is a gate between the two. The gate is left open and some deer from the LF go through the gate and are now in the HF.

Is there anything wrong with this?

How long is a piece of string?

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide