Print Thread
HeviSteel? #5215002 07/23/14 04:25 PM
A
ARQuacker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Anyone had a chance to shoot HeviSteel? Thoughts?

Alan

Green light. GO!
Re: HeviSteel? [Re: ARQuacker] #5215072 07/23/14 05:20 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Environmental that makes this is a very tricky company that likes to play on words.

The original Hevi-Shot loads I think were all over 12 g/cc. Consider lead is around 10.8 g/cc in weight. Steel is 7.86 g/cc.

Then when the original Hevi-Steel came about it was just a little over 9 g/cc. And was not a bad buy considering it came in a 25 round box, not much lighter than lead, and was not all that expensive for what it was.

The old Hevi-Shot load then changed to a Hevi-Duck in a 10 round box that is just a little over 9.5 g/cc give or take, still less then the weight of lead and not much more than the pellet weight used in Hevi-Steel. But it cost a whole lot more per shell. Only the Hevi-Goose retained the 12 g/cc range. And some say the 20Ga Hevi-Duck loads kept the heavier shot as well, but I do not know if they still do with current offerings.

As Tungsten got more expensive Hevi-Steel was discontinued and replaced with HeviMetal.

Hevi-Metal is a duplex load and nothing like the original Hevi-Steel. The size of shot on the box is the size of the steel shot used. Combined in the duplex load is some smaller hevishot that matches by per pellet weight the larger steel shot pellet weight. For example if you buy a box of #2 Hevi Metal it will be a load containing #2 steel shot over say #4 hevi-shot. Since the two pellets are ballistic matches there is no greater range over a similar #2 steel load, but there is a slightly higher pellet count giving a more dense pattern.

Now they have brought back the Hevi-Steel in name only. It is a steel shot load 7.86 g/cc with a new proprietary wad that environmental claims gives a better pattern and allows for an increase in speed. Of course every shotshell manufacturer has their own improved proprietary wad design these days too. So there is nothing heavy about the new Hevi-Steel other than the trademarked name. Sure sounds like a play on the name where many former customers will see the new load on the shelf and buy it at a price over another brand's comparable steel shot load because they think it is the same as the old Hevi-Steel. Some of the online ammo sources are even adding to the confusion by using the old picture of the original Hevi-Steel box with their adds.

So I think that covers the basic environmental hevi shot history. Anyone feel free to add or correct me if I got any of it wrong. Unfortunately Tungsten and Tungsten blend loads are getting outpriced for most. The price of Tungsten has increased dramatically in the last year and may still be climbing.

Re: HeviSteel? [Re: ARQuacker] #5215118 07/23/14 05:48 PM
M
muddyz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Tungsten has gone from under $2 per pound to upper $20's from what I understand. Hence the changes John described above.

Macks has the Steel on sale for $142/case, no tax or shipping, putting it in range of the lower priced basic steel products on the marketplace and likely a chance to grab some of the market share from Xpert and Kent using their name recognition.

Re: HeviSteel? [Re: ARQuacker] #5216363 07/24/14 03:13 PM
A
ARQuacker Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
A
Thanks for the info. John, that's been the best, easily understood, explanation I've found. Much appreciated!

Alan

Green light. GO!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide