Forums46
Topics538,383
Posts9,736,533
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: J.G.] #5172854 06/25/14 05:17 PM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Thanks again everyone, good info. I keep hearing going with the RCBS Rock Chucker press is the way to go, or at least a good starter for what I am going to do. Lots of folks have told me that's all they've used for decades and love it....

So, do you guys prefer a digital or beam scale powder measurer, or both, and why?

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: skinnerback] #5172990 06/25/14 06:36 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Digital, beam is too slow. If you get a beam, you will get a digital anyways. I have a brand new beam still in the box, never used it. Buy a digital especially if you want precise loads. Also ceiling fan and air unit will effect a beam more than a digital.

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: J.G.] #5173061 06/25/14 07:33 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
When you start loading your own, you will shoot more.

Buy the best you can afford right now. It will be cheaper in the long run. I went in with a fairly low budget thinking I didn't need the "fancy" stuff. Guess what. I sold or still have the low end stuff and now have the quality stuff anyway. So which way is cheaper in the long run? The more you learn, the more you want to improve your loads. The more you shoot the more you want to speed up the process so you can go shoot.

^^^ exactly what I've done

I started with a kit and was down to the only thing I was using was the press....upgraded it about a month ago to the Forester co-ax. It just depends on compulsive you are as to whether you will jump deep in or just wade. Nothing wrong with wading but it's just not my personality.

Any of the books will give you a good base to work from...Hornady, Lee, RCBS, etc. Read the front of them where it talks about reloading and the steps and then figure out what you want to buy. No dumb questions feel free to ask them here, a lot of knowledge at your finger tips.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: Cleric] #5174843 06/26/14 06:03 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Cleric
For 300 rounds a year I wouldn't get into reloading. It is a lot of time and money for such low round count.

All depends on why you do it. For the past several years my time has been limited and ive probably only reloaded 75-100 rounds a year. I still very much enjoy it though and will mess with it more when my time allows.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: skinnerback] #5175122 06/26/14 08:56 PM
O
OldTexan Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Read the manuals and use them for load build up. Be very careful of internet sources and make sure they are by the manufacturers and not some list by an unreliable source. I learned the hard way when building up loads for 180gr 357 Mag. 3 grains too much powder caused an overpressure situation that fortunately did not harm my gun or myself. I took the data from an internet post without checking against the manual. BIG potential mistake and one I won't make again.

Another thing is stay focused. No TV, no friends, kids, wives, etc taking your attention off what you've doing. Keep only the powder you are using on the table.

Don't leave powder in the dispenser for long periods of time and for short periods, make sure h=you have a way of labeling to confirm what's in the dispenser.

If you're tired or getting bored, stop and come back later when you can concentrate.

The hardest thing for me, being a bit of a slob, is keeping my bench organized and clear. But it's important to have things laid out.

Remember, it ain't rocket science but in a way it is, as we are handling things that explode and can cause great damage. Mistakes can be serious so check and double check constantly. Seemingly subtle amounts, lengths, etc can have consequences of overpressure or misfire. Stick with the accredited manual data. The internet is a great resource but a lot of the self proclaimed YOu Tube experts are not reliable......

It's great fun and rewarding. Shooting becomes a complete experience when you build the ammunition and understand the whole process from build up to your gun firing it downrange.

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: skinnerback] #5177075 06/28/14 12:30 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Thanks again everyone for all of your input.

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: skinnerback] #5180350 06/30/14 02:47 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I've been around the block a couple of times on the reloading front, and get asked this question quite a bit. So here's some information I put together:

Quote:
What you’ll need:

1. Books, books and more books. It’s hard to say that you have too much literature to review concerning load data. Don’t pass up older books either as they still have very pertinent data. I recommend getting the following:
a. Lyman 49th Edition
b. Speer 13th Edition
c. Cartridge specific books (cheap paperbacks that are a conglomeration of multiple printed data
d. Modern Reloading and/or ABC’s of reloading

2. Press. You have a few choices of presses to look at:
a. Single stage. As the name implies, this is the simplest of all press types. You do each stage of reloading (sizing/depriming, flaring (pistols), seating and crimping) all in individual steps. It is the most time consuming, but generally accepted as also capable of producing the most accuracy. I still load for bolt action rifle on a single stage, as well as precision pistol rounds too. Brands include RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, and all of them are pretty much equivalent in quality and durability. My RCBS Jr. is probably pushing 50 years old and it still works as good as the day my grandfather bought it. I highly recommend a single stage to a beginner so that you have to learn the individual stages and can pay more attention on getting things right versus quantity.
b. Turret style presses – these are a bastard child of a single stage and a progressive. The good aspect is that they do speed up over single stage reloading. The bad, to me anyway, is that I don’t find them all that useful.
c. Progressive – as the name implies, these are semi-auto presses that are designed for volume reloading. Contrary to opinion, you can still get extremely high grade ammo from them, but they are primarily designed to produce very good quality at high volume. Great for pistol, .223, .30-06 type loads that are high volume shooting loads.

3. Scale. You must have a scale. With the advance of digital, just get a good digital scale that will weigh in grains to the tenth.

4. Powder trickler – you’ll want this if you plan on getting very precise with your charge weights

5. Powder drop/throw – RCBS and Hornady make the best manual powder drops.

6. Calipers – you need to be able to measure the OAL of your rounds to ensure you are loading correctly

7. Primer seater – some presses have this feature built in. If they do, great, if not get an RCBS Universal hand priming tool. It works on everything from .17 cal up to .45-70 type rounds without the need for additional shell holders (huge drawback on the Lee system in my opinion)

8. Dies – you’ll need dies. In order of quality and workmanship from low to high:
a. Lee – you can make decent ammo on Lee dies, but they are the low end in terms of quality
b. Forstner – good dies for the money
c-1. RCBS – very good dies for the money
c-2. Hornady – very good dies for the money
d. Redding – extremely good dies, but hell for expensive

Every brand, except Lee, makes match grade type dies. I wouldn’t mess with these until you really get the hang of things as you are starting to get into some very precise measurement requirements. RCBS and Hornady are who I would recommend as they are pretty much tied in terms of quality and price.

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: skinnerback] #5180547 06/30/14 04:42 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Lots of good info above. I would also checkout the sticky above for some other links.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...e_T#Post4597732

There is a new to reloading topic and the tips and tricks thread has tons of good information including links to some very good videos from reliable resources like Sinclair Int and others.

Having a mentor is a great way to get started. Glad the OP has someone hat has stepped up for that. Get a reloading manual or 3 and read them and I would say watch the sinclair videos which can help make better use of the time spent reloading with the guy that has said he would help and might prompt more questions as well.

Do not be afraid to ask questions there are some folks here that are willing to help.

As far as saving $ reloading it can happen especially if you shoot even a few boxes of less common calibers like the weatherby mags or others that are $3 to $5 a shot and can be reloaded for $1 per shot when loaded with the same bullets and those loads customized to your gun.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: skinnerback] #5184741 07/03/14 01:58 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I found video instruction (in lieu of in-person interaction) to be better than books. Takes the guess work out since someone is actually showing you what to do.

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: tenyearsgone] #5185698 07/03/14 07:24 PM
R
Rocklock Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
After seeing youtube how to's on auto repairs, home repairs, knife sharpening etc that were really dangerous I would recommend getting the books and reading first.

hammer How in the hell can you trust a total unknown showing you something when dealing with 50,000+ psi. Not only that but you cannot ask questions to clarify something.

IF Nosler, Hodgdon, RCBS or other KNOWN source puts a video on their web site, it would be valuable but the other? Hell NO.
TC

Last edited by Rocklock; 07/03/14 07:27 PM.

The answer is FLINTLOCK! Now, what was the question?

Support the Texas Youth Hunting Program
http://texasyouthhunting.com/
Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: skinnerback] #5185915 07/03/14 09:59 PM
Payne Offline
Cat Herder
Cat Herder
Sinclair has tutorials on you tube

[Linked Image]
Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: Payne] #5185924 07/03/14 10:01 PM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
I'll check'em out.

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: skinnerback] #5185972 07/03/14 10:16 PM
Payne Offline
Cat Herder
Cat Herder

[Linked Image]
Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: Payne] #5186019 07/03/14 10:35 PM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
up

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: Payne] #5186228 07/04/14 12:35 AM
W
woodwalker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: Payne] #5186340 07/04/14 01:50 AM
skinnerback Offline OP
THF Celebrity Chef
OP Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
Just watched the series, pretty informative for a beginner. I have a lot to learn for sure. up up

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: Rocklock] #5192667 07/09/14 04:11 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Rocklock
After seeing youtube how to's on auto repairs, home repairs, knife sharpening etc that were really dangerous I would recommend getting the books and reading first.

hammer How in the hell can you trust a total unknown showing you something when dealing with 50,000+ psi. Not only that but you cannot ask questions to clarify something.

IF Nosler, Hodgdon, RCBS or other KNOWN source puts a video on their web site, it would be valuable but the other? Hell NO.
TC

Did I say anything about some unknown entity on Youtube? No.

I know Sierra, and Hornady have such products out. That said, I have seen company videos on Youtube.

You can't ask questions to clarify something out of book either....

Re: New to reloading, needing help getting started........ [Re: skinnerback] #5201729 07/15/14 03:03 AM
KillzoneFlashlights Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I went with the Dillon 550b and am very pleased with it. Another purchase of mine that I am very happy with is the Wilson case trimmer. As others have said buy the best equipment you can afford. Unless you have a lot of money take your time, save up your money and purchase the best equipment. Buy once cry once! smile

http://www.lewilson.com/casetrimmer.html

Thanks,
Jody McCarty
Killzone Flashlights
www.killzoneflashlights.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide