"The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" #5175206 06/26/14 09:40 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
This is something I ponder often.

It's very hard to explain to the non hunter and hard for me to understand.

This is a great article about it and website for hunters.

http://honest-food.net/2013/09/16/hunter-loving-what-we-kill/

The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill

By Hank Shaw

On a day not so long ago, I sat on a cooler in a meadow at dawn. Hot coffee in hand, I drew breath on what was to be my final morning of a weeklong deer hunt with my friend Steve. In a few hours I’d pile back into my truck and return to the world of pavement and steel and glowing computer screens. But for the moment, all was quiet. Steve was fast asleep in his tent, and the slightest of breezes set the fading oak leaves to murmuring amongst themselves.

My lazy gaze settled on a pair of ears, bobbing through the suede grass of an adjoining field. It’s Mr. Jack, I thought. And then Mr. Jack was joined by Mrs. Jack. Or perhaps they were brother and sister, or maybe sisters or brothers both. I have no idea. But what I do know is that these jackrabbits clearly enjoyed each other’s company, and were unreservedly relaxed as they hopped toward our campsite.

Soon they were less than 10 yards from sleeping Steve. I found myself beaming as I watched these two hares casually going about their business, having a good time; I rarely get to see two jackrabbits interacting with each other. It felt like I was being given a gift.

And then one stopped and looked directly at me. Without thought, I waved hello. And while Mr. Jack did not exactly wave back, he did [censored] one ear in my direction before continuing on his way – every bit as casually as he and his friend/lover/sibling had been before they’d seen me.

I sipped my coffee and watched them amble out of sight. It was a lovely way to start a morning.

But you should know something: I kill and eat jackrabbits. In fact, just two days prior, I had stalked, shot, killed, skinned, gutted and cooked one. Could it have been a friend or relative of these two jackrabbits? And how is it that I can feel such pure joy in both the act of watching animals and in hunting them?

I feel a deep kinship with the animals I hunt; most hunters do. We get to know them in a far deeper way than all but a few other sorts of human: We know their personalities, their foibles, their habits. Where they like to live, what they like to eat, and what they might do in any given situation. Yet most of us take delight in being fooled when a deer or rabbit shows us some new quirk of their behavior. Hunt any animal long enough and it ceases to be the Disneyfied caricature of itself most people know and blossoms into a clever, free-thinking entity – an entity not so different from us.

My mind settled onto this seeming paradox the way a leaf settles onto the forest floor. Sitting in this meadow, in this place, as a hunter and a human animal, it felt serenely right in a way I find wildly incapable of explaining to those who have not experienced the same feeling.

This feeling lies beneath rational thought, and no attempt to reduce it to reason can capture it accurately; a picture of the ocean is not the ocean. However, one piece of this feeling centers on the fundamental fact that to live on planet Earth something else must die. It has been so for more than 600 million years. No animal, from an amoeba to the girl next door, can exist without making a mark upon this planet. Dealing death is the business of life.

Many reject this notion as abhorrent. They ask themselves: Are we really no better than the lions on the Serengeti? Should not humanity stand for something at least slightly more grand than being the biggest, baddest pack of wolves on the planet? To such people, humanity’s highest purpose is to transcend the boundaries of the so-called animal world in order to reach whatever state of exaltation seems best to them. With a worldview like this, hunters are retrograde Neanderthals wallowing in Nature red in tooth and claw.

I suspect that the core of such criticism of what we do is an unnatural fear of death, a fear stoked by distance and ignorance. Citizens of the wealthiest nations of the world have created barriers between themselves and the commonplace reality of not only the deaths that their existence requires, but also their own mortality. Death is an abstraction, a goblin lurking inside the dark attic of their mind.

No one is entirely immune to this fear, yet we hunters are men and women who deal death in a very personal way. I have stared into the eyes of hundreds of birds, scores of rabbits and dozens of larger animals as they lay in the dust dying. Their eyes hold mine fast, forcing me to look full in the face the consequences of my actions, forcing me to remember what it is I do. What all life does.

Again and again and again, I see my own death in the eyes of that jackrabbit, or duck or deer. And I am afraid. I know not what lies beyond, nor does the animal I stand over. All I know is that someday, the dying eyes will be mine, staring at a doctor, or a lover. Or the unblinking sky. It is a searing moment that feels like staring at the sun in a windstorm. It leaves me gasping.

But then it passes. The rabbit moves no more. I inhale. I notice the birds are still singing. There is a fly buzzing somewhere. Life continues, at least for me. And at my feet is an animal that will soon feed me and my friends and family.

Why do this? Why seek out death on purpose? It isn’t the death I am seeking, but death is the price I must pay for what I seek. Best I can explain it is that when I rise, kill, and eat – to quote Acts 10:13 — I feel I am living deeply within something larger than myself. There is a serenity to it all. I kill when I am hungry, drink in Nature’s great pageant when I am not. In both there is bliss. It is a fleeting glimpse of the eternity of being.

Which returns us to my meeting with the jackrabbits on that gauzy September morning. The hares, like all of the animals I hunt, are not exactly my friends. But nor are they my enemies. We are players in a much larger game – a game that must be played, whether we choose to take the field or not. And like all games, this one has beginnings and endings. My wave? Mr. Jack’s [censored] of the ear? It was a salute, an acknowledgement by predator and prey that at on this day, at this moment, there will be no killing. Tomorrow may be different.

http://honest-food.net/2013/09/16/hunter-loving-what-we-kill/

Last edited by BradyBuck; 06/26/14 09:43 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5175852 06/27/14 03:13 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
friend of mine once said: If you talk to the animals, they will talk to you, and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them, and what you do not know you will fear. what one fears, one destroys.
Chief Dan George flag

i'm postaddic
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5175913 06/27/14 03:51 AM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Good post!!! so true!!!

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5175976 06/27/14 04:30 AM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Awesome post, really great read!

Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5175982 06/27/14 04:36 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: Gone to Texas] #5175998 06/27/14 04:52 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
Awesome post, really great read!

up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5176200 06/27/14 01:14 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Enjoyed that, very true.

Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5176523 06/27/14 04:37 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Excellent postup

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5176906 06/27/14 09:51 PM
N
Nakraik Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Wonderful post. up

Shot my first turkey today...Scared the crap out of everyone in the frozen food section, it was awesome!
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5176925 06/27/14 10:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
up

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5177462 06/28/14 05:26 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Beautiful crying flehan up

Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5177518 06/28/14 11:30 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Good one

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5177530 06/28/14 11:49 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5177559 06/28/14 12:28 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I like this. It reminds me of 'Ender's Game'. The concept was that once you began to truly know your enemy you also began to love him. One you loved him, In that moment you can destroy him.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: Cast] #5177721 06/28/14 03:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Good read.

Every time I'm in the field I think about how we, humans are the most deadly predator on the planet. God made us that way. No in armored skin, not in retractable claws, nor heavy hair for cold weather, nor the ability to fly or vision( while very acute)but not as acute as the cat or the hawk. He gave us the largest most powerful brain in the animal kingdom. We have the ability to compensate our shortcomings by making tools and our memory of lessons learned. Knowing all of that I realize how many times I have had the choice to kill or not. I also realize the cougar could kill me and eat me. The rattlesnake could injure me enough that I could lose a limb making me weaker in the animal kingdom. That makes me realize how much I respect the other animals in the wild. And realize the respect they have for us.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5177840 06/28/14 04:47 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Glad you guys enjoyed it as much as I did.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5178712 06/29/14 07:38 AM
A
Atlas Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Great post

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: BradyBuck] #5178879 06/29/14 02:32 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
"We are players in a much larger game – a game that must be played, whether we choose to take the field or not. And like all games, this one has beginnings and endings."

“The purpose of life is to stay alive. Watch any animal in nature--all it tries to do is stay alive. It doesn't care about beliefs or philosophy. Whenever any animal's behavior puts it out of touch with the realities of its existence, it becomes exinct.”

Michael Crichton

up

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: "The Hunter's Paradox: Loving what you kill" [Re: Hunt n Fish] #5179020 06/29/14 04:38 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
up HnF, i chose ta play the game, in my later years have become a bench warmer. lot of hours sitting. like pappy always says: an whin that big one, popped out i reached for Equate Hemeroriodle cream, its soothing, fast action, takes the pain out of the Equation flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide