Print Thread
Getting a bird dog and have some questions HELP!! #5153599 06/12/14 09:36 AM
F
freonfreak82 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
F
Ok guys my wife is buying me a bird dog, ivd never owned one but hunted with other guys that have em and it's a dream. I'm primarily dove hunting but will also be duck hunting. Maybe quail here and there. I'm looking at a lab as I really like the look of the breed. But gsp is my second choice. I guess my questions would be

A) male or female? I would most likely not be breeding at any point so fixing the dog will happen
B) pros and cons with either of the two breeds I mentioned
C) training, what do you find the best method to be? Send em off for 3 months? Train yourself? Throw em into it?
What do you recommend?
D) I've seen the price of these dogs even when akc registered vary from 350-800. What makes one better than the other?
E) can a 2-4 yr old dog be trained if it has no prior experience?

Thanks so much for any help.

" get busy livin' or get busy dyin' "
Re: Getting a bird dog and have some questions HELP!! [Re: freonfreak82] #5153733 06/12/14 12:58 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
primarily dove hunting but will also be duck hunting. Maybe quail here and there

I would say get a Lab, because quail hunting is just a maybe.

Prices vary because of proven bloodlines, and health clearances.
Male or female is just personal preference, and is not as important as the sentence above.
If you are willing to put in the time, and acquire the knowledge, you can do the training yourself. If you run into a bump in the road train with a club, or send to a trainer.

I wouldn't recommend just throwing them into it.
You will have way to many holes in your training.
If you get a older dog with no training, or hunting experience.
The odds are better that you just acquired a pet,but you could beat the odds.

The cheapest part of owning a hunting dog, is the initial purchase price.
I wouldn't skimp on paying for a quality pup.
Find someone you trust to help you find a quality litter.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Getting a bird dog and have some questions HELP!! [Re: freonfreak82] #5153787 06/12/14 01:32 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I would also recommend a lab to you. There are some good ones out there. Charlito has one that we take pheasant hunting.

I personally like females. There are two main reasons. I like to pet my dog without touching that pink thing, and I hate when dogs lift their legs. My male started lifting his leg when we met a bunch of guys in Kansas and he hasn't stopped since.

As for training, I recommend you do it yourself. Read a lot and watch a lot of videos and take the average of what they say.

Good Luck.

Re: Getting a bird dog and have some questions HELP!! [Re: freonfreak82] #5154196 06/12/14 05:31 PM
W
Warrior Poet Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W

Quote:
A) male or female? I would most likely not be breeding at any point so fixing the dog will happen

I prefer males, just think they have better personalities in dogs.

Quote:
B) pros and cons with either of the two breeds I mentioned

Definitely go with a Lab between those two. Just fits your needs better. Although I would also consider a Springer Spaniel or a Brittany. Springers can retrieve very well and will mimic a lab in that respect, but if you ever did decide to hunt quail or anything else, you could have a top of the line flushing dog.

Quote:
C) training, what do you find the best method to be? Send em off for 3 months? Train yourself? Throw em into it?
What do you recommend?

Work with your dog a lot and be softly training them from the start but definitely send the pup off for professional training. The results are incomparable unless you have had/trained multiple dogs in your lifetime with success.

Quote:
D) I've seen the price of these dogs even when akc registered vary from 350-800. What makes one better than the other?

Don't skimp on the price, but don't worry so much about the price as you do the breeder and his/her reputation. Do a lot of research into breeders, and a lot of folks on this board have tons of experience with reputable lab breeders.

Also, I would look for a lab breeder whose lab is on its second litter. That really increases the likelihood in most cases that your pup will be from a great line with great instincts and working drive and health.

Quote:
E) can a 2-4 yr old dog be trained if it has no prior experience?

Be careful. It absolutely can, but there are some habits that older dogs develop that they will never get rid of. Do it before a year to ensure more long term obedience.

Re: Getting a bird dog and have some questions HELP!! [Re: freonfreak82] #5154282 06/12/14 06:34 PM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
You have gotten some good advice. Buy the best pup that you can afford. $350 is not realistic at all. Start researching pedigrees and get some trusted advise BEFORE committing to a puppy. Decide what your goals are for this dog and go from there.

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: Getting a bird dog and have some questions HELP!! [Re: freonfreak82] #5154380 06/12/14 08:14 PM
D
Dkhntr Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Yes a older dog can be trained but the dog has to have some desire. I have a 8 year old I started training. Last year and has came along way it's harder I feel but it can be done.

Re: Getting a bird dog and have some questions HELP!! [Re: freonfreak82] #5156506 06/14/14 02:29 PM
J
John Pecan Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
buy the best pup you can afford from HUNTING and or Field Trial bloodlines,,not just the "I have a lab you have a lab, lets make some money on some pups" breeding, or show lines..the training is very important, and very important to start early..and I agree that the lab is the way to go..good luck

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide