Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Elk around Red River [Re: krod777] #5138616 06/02/14 01:20 AM
Mr Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I am sorry I misunderstood what I was told, TPWD did not release them an individual released them.

Re: Elk around Red River [Re: Mr Redneck] #5138641 06/02/14 01:46 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Mr Redneck
I am sorry I misunderstood what I was told, TPWD did not release them an individual released them.
It's all good cheers

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Elk around Red River [Re: Erathkid] #5138999 06/02/14 01:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Originally Posted By: Mr Redneck
It's all good cheers

X2

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Elk around Red River [Re: WileyCoyote] #5144217 06/05/14 07:15 PM
G
Grayson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
If they had been released in Grayson County they could only have been hunted legally with archery equipment...if they had been released on the Church Camps property on Preston Peninsula they would have eventually strayed off but prolly stayed on the heavily populated in small areas Peninsula and beocme a tourist attraction.

If they had been released on Hagerman, the Federales would have protected them even from the stick & string people long enough to get a foundation herd started.

Always wanted to win a lottery big enough to buy some land like say close to Hagerman...and bought a dozen + Axis to turn loose on a low fence place. Feed 'em well enough & in a contained area for a year or two ...to get'em started and past that it'd be like watching Kudzu spread .... Oh Well It' Only Me Dreamin' About Money Again
Ron
The rifle-only regulation is for whitetail deer only, so it wouldn't apply to elk (would be nice, though). Why would you want to purposely release axis deer into the wild?

Re: Elk around Red River [Re: krod777] #5144690 06/06/14 02:22 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I'll call Dale Moses, the local GW, in the morning and pose that ??? of Rifles in Grayson County OK for Non Game Specie. I had always been told by someone that should have known that ALL Hunting activity anywhere in Grayson County was Prohibited with a Center Fire Rifle.

To further propagate a game type animal that is not so tightly protected as the White Tail Deer herd is by the Archery Only Establishment in Grayson County. Grayson County is the only County in Texas to prohibit harvesting WTails other than by Archery Equipment, that has a Deer Hunting Season.

FYI there is not a public gun range that allows Deer Rifles to be fired at 100 yards & ++ in Grayson County. If you don't own enough land, or know someone that does, you have to drive to Leonard, which is open to the Public only if the Private Members are not using it, and has the right to ask you to leave if a Member wants to take your spot as I understand it, or 10-15 miles from Decatur to access a Range that will accept the Public....about 80+ miles either way for me....or about the same distance as Elm Fork in Dallas is.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Elk around Red River [Re: krod777] #5144892 06/06/14 05:33 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
You need to ask for hunting Exotics in Grayson County then, not Non Game Species. But the Outdoor Annual will save you the trouble.

Elk are defined as an Exotic in Texas same as Feral Hogs are. "Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar."
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species
There are outfitters in Grayson county that offer hog hunting with centerfire rifles BTW.

There are no county restrictions on Exotics listed for Grayson County or any other as far as I know.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/2013-2014/counties/grayson

See Means and Methods in the Archery and Crossbow section. It does state you may have a firearm "while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels)." The way it reads farther down, it looks like the landowner can even trap those Elk if they so choose.
"Trapping may be used for nongame/exotic animals (e.g., feral hogs, rabbits, etc.) on private property."
http://www.tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/general-regulations/means-and-methods

Also, Grayson county is not the only Archery only County in Texas. Collin, Dallas, and Rockwall counties are Archery only for Whitetail. All including Grayson County are Bow only during Archery Season and Bow or Crossbow only during General Season.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/seasons/county-listing/

Re: Elk around Red River [Re: krod777] #5145225 06/06/14 03:05 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
SJ Thanks for the info.

Since I can't pull a bow string anymore with the surgical damage done to my Right Upper Quad in '06 that my PT lady told me I was going to be a Cripple for the rest of my life & get over it, I don't pay any attention to what County's are or have been added to the Archery Only list. I proved the PT Lady wrong and got a Release for Work after 18 months of rehab in '09, with some weight & overhead restrictions....I hadn't told her I'd gone back to work in a Call Center in '08. Beating on 'puter to get phone calls placed is not like pulling a bow string. I have gained enough strength and mobility to handle a Rifle or Light Bird Gun, but my Benelli Super Nova with Duck loads is NOT fun, but doable enough to turkey hunt with.

Was gonna try Slugs for their Hagerman Hog Lottery earlier this year & may yet next year. However, with a close family member's Other Medical Priorities taking precedence on all aspects of life's normal activities in the house, we are on a Wait and See basis during the 1st round of Chemo & Radiation underway right now, for the need for a 3rd Surgery's tumor-'s removal & organ reconstruction ... after the 2nd surgery's abdominal reconstruction by a plastic surgeon & the Initial surgery's panicked overly hasty tumor and organ removal on a confirmed diagnosis of unknown origin.... and 12 other, days & weeks long, emergency hospitalizations since late August of '13. At least for the moment we now know for sure where One of the bad areas is and how to treat it, instead of zipping her open and "shopping" as has been done in the past.

SJ...this is what I was referring to when you and I talked privately.

Yup, I guess I need to talk to Dale Moses about "Exotic's", who "office's" aroubnd the corner from my house and get caught up on the current Regs ... see what he has to say about the Landowner resistance I've experieneced about ANY kind of Rifle Hunting in Grayson County, and where I actually can Rifle Hunt without the constant "inspections" done by other County Governmental Agencies, that had happened previously in the past at the request of uninformed nearby landowners.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 06/06/14 03:14 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Elk around Red River [Re: krod777] #5147134 06/08/14 01:00 AM
J
JRR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
any elk seen on my place in Grayson county better be quick, I'll drop it with a bullet ASAP !!

Re: Elk around Red River [Re: krod777] #5147136 06/08/14 01:02 AM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Saw several at my time at Ft. Sill. Artillery didnt seem to bother them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide