Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Where to meet other hunters? #51128 01/20/06 04:58 PM
L
Littlemac Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
I am looking for a way to meet folks like the ones here on the forum. What I mean by that is there are a lot of good folks on here that have the same interest I do. They love to hunt and fish.

The major problem I have is that I don't know folks like this in Dallas/McKinney. I don’t have a lot of friends here in metroplex that are into hunting. One option I plan on exercising this year is to join a bass club. However what I would really like is to meet some guys that are into hunting.

Is anyone involved in DU or a gun club?

Maybe someone has a suggestion as to where you got plugged in around Dallas and began to meet people such as the folks on this forum.

I have found it difficult to meet folks that enjoy getting out in the field.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction or is in the McKinney area and is looking to get together, I am all ears.

Thanks.

Brendan

My background.
As for me I grew up hunting with my Dad and his friends in and around El Paso and Lubbock. I love to bird hunt pretty much any species. I also shoot my first deer this season.

Last edited by Littlemac; 01/28/06 02:32 AM.
Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Littlemac] #51129 01/20/06 05:33 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Several of the folks on here are up in that area. I am sure that some of them will be interested in meeting up with you.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Littlemac] #51130 01/20/06 05:57 PM
F
FamousAmos Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I have found Legacy Outfitters to be a marvelous venue for accomplishing the goal of meeting other hunters. I'm not sure of a Legacy chapter in your area. The Fort Worth chapter is the one I attend. We meet the second Tuesday of every month at Lockheed Martin's rec center on Bryant Irvin. The great thing about Legacy Outfitters is the challenge to be men who leave a lasting and meaningful legacy for the generations to follow.

“And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.â€
‭‭Micah‬ ‭6:8‬
Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: FamousAmos] #51131 01/21/06 04:44 PM
B
BadKarma Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Has anyone thought of starting a 'Dallas' area hunting club with the people here on this forum? Sounds like you may have the right recipe of folks here. Birds, Hogs, Deer, Exotics, varmint, how much more variety would you want?

Do not follow the common path. Go where there is no path and leave a trail. 1-Wolf Website Development
Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: BadKarma] #51132 01/21/06 06:07 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What is wrong with a Fort worth area hunting club. If you hadn't noticed, the metro-mess now covers an area almost 100 miles wide and maybe a little over that long. I live just west of Fort Worth (Azle) and HunterTed lives just north of Dallas (Anna), it is a flat 100 miles between our places and that is by the quickest route.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Crazyhorse] #51133 01/21/06 06:21 PM
B
BadKarma Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
It was just a thought. I was just guessing that there are probably a few folks on the East side of the DFW sprawl that didn't want to make such a long drive every week / month / whatever thats all.

Do not follow the common path. Go where there is no path and leave a trail. 1-Wolf Website Development
Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Littlemac] #51134 01/21/06 10:03 PM
N
NTxHunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Hey littlemac what part of El Paso are you from? I grew up there and did alot of quail and dove hunting there.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: BadKarma] #51135 01/21/06 10:12 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Wasn't meaning to be a smart a on your suggestion, but the metro-mess is so stinking big, and getting bigger, that trying to meet up with just the members on the forum turns in to a logistics nightmare on everyone that is involved. All of the folks that Lora and I have had the priveledge of meeting are really great folks. However, with everyones jobs and homelife, and trying to get in some hunting or fishing, it is hard to set aside time to just meet someone. HunterTed has had good luck meeting people for lunch, but most of those folks are up in the McKinney, Anna, Van Alstyne, etc. area. I really wish that all of us could meet, but it is so hard to work things out.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Crazyhorse] #51136 01/21/06 10:21 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I for one vote that if we start a gun club we have the meetings here in Grapevine it's in the middle.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Ox190] #51137 01/21/06 10:52 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Okay, Grapevine is in the middle. That means, that if I want to attend a meeting, I have a 100 mile round trip. Now, when are you planning on holding these meetings. Remember even the folks that live 25 miles from there are going to have a 50 mile round-trip. Now a 50 mile round trip out at Fort Stockton or El Paso or Amarillo or such will take 45 minutes to an hour, 20 to 30 minutes each way. Can that be done on 114 or 635 at any time. The idea is good one, but look at all of the things that have been thrown up about a one shot deal like the Spring-Get-Together. Try working that into a monthly or bi-monthly meeting type situation. I am not trying to be a bump in the road on this, but nearly all of us, have so much going on in our miserable little lives, that adding something else means we are just going to be spread that much thinner.

Don't take my post wrong, but in mine and Lora's case alone, we are up by 5 a.m., by the time we get ready for work and do our morning work with our stock, we leave the house, on good days at 6:15 a.m. On a good day, with normal traffic flow, we can make it to Lora's office in about 45 minutes. Then I have to drive down to the zoo. Again if I am lucky, I am at the zoo by 7:15, 7:20. I get off at 4:30 right now, I am not sure when it changes over, but I will be getting off at 5:30, as it gets closer to the switch to Daylight Savings Time. If we don't stop for anything, other than to pick up the mail, we are doing really good to be home by 7:00 p.m. I feel that we have done a minor miracle if we eat supper before 8:30 nearly any night. That just don't leave much time for extra-curricular activities.

I think a hunting club would be a great thing, but you have to have members that can attend on a regular basis, and I think too many of us on here, for whatever reason, don't have enough control over our lives, to devote 2 to 3 hours every two weeks or even once a month, on a regular basis. JMO

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Crazyhorse] #51138 01/21/06 10:58 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
heck the only time I could go to a meeting would be on a weekend. I work 14 hour days m-f. I barely have enough time to turn around. And no, one hunt club to encompass all of us in DFW would be impossible. Unless some people were willing to make a very long drive. BUT maybe we could have a east and west. Then maybe once or twice a year we all get together kind of like we're hoping to do this year.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Ox190] #51139 01/21/06 11:06 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We are trying to do a one time, for the second time and have had only two suggestions for dates. Life sometimes really sucks when you are a hunter or fishermen, and are also expected to be a contributing member of society.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Crazyhorse] #51140 01/21/06 11:08 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I think the 17-18th of June is a pretty good date. I really hope it comes together.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Ox190] #51141 01/21/06 11:22 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I am going to start working with the member offering their place and the member that I volunteered to help, and we are going to try and pull it off.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Crazyhorse] #51142 01/21/06 11:52 PM
O
Ox190 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
feel free to call me if ya'll need any help on the weekends leading up to the weekend of. Like I said before I don't have any extra time m-f but my weekends are pretty open except one saturday a month I have to work half a day. I ain't afraid of manual labor either so don't be worried about me saying no.

Josh
432-889-1889

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Ox190] #51143 01/21/06 11:59 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
THANK YOU. The closer we get to putting this thing together, the more help we will need. I appreciate your offer.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Littlemac] #51144 01/22/06 12:37 AM
T
timbertoes Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Overnight campout meetings at LBJ

Forum says "Veteran Tracker". I could not track a garbage truck into a fireworks factory.
Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Crazyhorse] #51145 01/22/06 01:12 AM
N
nature boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Well chc, i'm really sorry we could not accommodate your needs on travel time or miles. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't DU or other Clubs have a chapter in such areas as to where people can join and or attend. Also you have a remark that really sucks, here it is.

" Life sometimes really sucks when you are a hunter or fishermen, and are also expected to be a contributing member of society".

Think before you speak: That maybe a reason why you did not post anything about the Clean Up thread.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: nature boy] #51146 01/22/06 03:14 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
First off, that statement you quoted was meant to be a joke.

Second off, I was just simply trying to point out, that some peoples lives don't begin at 8:00 and end at 4:30.

Third, I don't belong to DU or any other clubs that have scheduled meetings, simply because I have too much other stuff going on to be able to participate.

Sometimes, NB I really think you are not firing on all cylinders. One of the reasons people participate on the forum, is because they don't have the time to attend the meetings of the other organizations, and the forum can be worked in for those short intervals.

As for your remark about me not posting on your clean up post. I don't have something to say on EVERY SUBJECT. I have no opinion on your idea about people cleaning up around the places you mentioned. If that bothers you, T.D.B.

And if you haven't ever took the time to notice, the harder a person tries to be a contributing member of our modern society, more and more is expected from them. Please in your vast wisdom , tell me why that someone that works everyday they can, pays their taxes, obeys all civil laws to the best of their ability, contributes to every worthy cause that they can, should not be able to expect to get a little something in return. Maybe your a better man than I will ever be, but I think that there comes a time when a man can stand flat footed and say , That's enough, I am going to do something for me now.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: NTxHunter] #51147 01/22/06 07:35 PM
L
Littlemac Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
ntxhunt - I grew up on the eastside of EP went to Eastwood HS. I too did a lot of quail and dove hunting, still do actually the folks still live down there so I still get out with the old man when I am down there.

What about you? What part of town are you from?

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Littlemac] #51148 01/22/06 07:43 PM
L
Littlemac Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
Wow. I didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers. I was just looking for some feedback. I was just searching for some ideas to get plugged in with other hunters.

I am in the McKinney area if anyone cares. Also thanks for the feedback.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Littlemac] #51149 01/22/06 08:55 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Littlemac,
Don't worry,from what this "lightfoot" has seen
some feathers here are ruffled right off the roost.
I'm in Frisco now but hope to get moved back to
McKinney soon. I do some shooting at Backwoods Traps.
Let me know if you want to meet up and shoot sometime.

God bless
PK

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Littlemac] #51150 01/22/06 09:12 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't take my posts wrong, you didn't ruffle anyones feathers, that was my doing. I was just trying to point out, that your idea is a good one, but as with anyother club or organization, some people are going to be able to attend all the time and some will rarely ever get to attend.

On the dark side of that, and this is from personal experience, folks that only get to attend meetings occasionally, get treated different from the folks that attend regularly.

This has happened with every organization I have been connected with. The regular attendees develope a rapport, and form alliances, and the occasional members are just shunted to the side. No matter how much a person may want to participate in an organization, life dictates each individuals amount of avavilable time.

I wasn't, and aren't trying to steal your post or say it is a bad idea. I am just trying to present somethings that you need to be aware of, when trying to set up something like this.

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: Crazyhorse] #51151 01/22/06 09:20 PM
B
BadKarma Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
There is that...

With every "organization" you always have the regulars (aka good ol' boys/gals) then there’s everyone else. I have seen this from the cub scouts all the way to the water cooler at work. It don't make it right, it just is, but CHC has a very real point. HOWEVER, this aint nuthin that a good ol fashioned BBQ cant fix .

Re: Where to meet other hunters? [Re: BadKarma] #51152 01/22/06 09:29 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
It's true, clicks will always develope whether
based on mere attendance or any number of things.
I'm more interested in spending time in the field
or at the gun range than at an organization meeting.
Though I do love a good BBQ.

PK

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide